Cam Newton Thread - Back to Carolina

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Re: Cam Newton to Patriots

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:49 am

FiremanEd wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:48 am Mr. Dramatic can’t equate the valid comparison of Randy ‘leaving Oakland on a career low note’ Moss to Cam ‘leaving Carolina on a low note’ Newton, or the general concept of once elite players going to NE and fading. Not tough concepts, but thanks for the morning chuckle. Normally I have to wait on my wife for that stuff.
Oh, if you think that was dramatic, please, I can not recommend this thread highly enough: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=124065

Start to finish, it is absolutely one of the most entertaining threads on the entire site. Happy 4th everybody.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:51 pm

Poor Yeti, who'd have thought such a reclusive creature would be so easily provoked.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:15 pm

IMO Cam isn’t Cam if he only has his arm back. He’s truly unique as a rushing threat QB...and I just don’t think any passing efficiency will be there without that threat to run and threat to keep shaking guys off him.
It’s not quite the same, but remember how Culpepper was an MVP...then had his knee taken out...and then was nothing when he lost his running ability? Well I feel that Cam is a better QB (and part of Culpepper’s MVP was Moss) but Cam was a better runner than Culpepper. Him losing the elite aspect of his running...would be devastating imo. For the fun of seeing what he can still do, I hope he’s recovered from the Lisfranc well and is an athletic mover of a QB still, but I’m not going to bank on it.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:26 pm

Valhalla wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:15 pm IMO Cam isn’t Cam if he only has his arm back. He’s truly unique as a rushing threat QB...and I just don’t think any passing efficiency will be there without that threat to run and threat to keep shaking guys off him.
It’s not quite the same, but remember how Culpepper was an MVP...then had his knee taken out...and then was nothing when he lost his running ability? Well I feel that Cam is a better QB (and part of Culpepper’s MVP was Moss) but Cam was a better runner than Culpepper. Him losing the elite aspect of his running...would be devastating imo. For the fun of seeing what he can still do, I hope he’s recovered from the Lisfranc well and is an athletic mover of a QB still, but I’m not going to bank on it.
Good post and I agree on Cam.

I think Culpepper was a better passer than Cam though. He had a monster year and a half without Moss if I recall correctly.
And yeah, that knee injury destroyed him. Never was the same, but also never played with the same caliber team.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:01 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:51 pm Poor Yeti, who'd have thought such a reclusive creature would be so easily provoked.
It’s ok. Bumbles bounce. Image
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:05 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:49 am
FiremanEd wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:48 am Mr. Dramatic can’t equate the valid comparison of Randy ‘leaving Oakland on a career low note’ Moss to Cam ‘leaving Carolina on a low note’ Newton, or the general concept of once elite players going to NE and fading. Not tough concepts, but thanks for the morning chuckle. Normally I have to wait on my wife for that stuff.
Oh, if you think that was dramatic, please, I can not recommend this thread highly enough: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=124065

Start to finish, it is absolutely one of the most entertaining threads on the entire site. Happy 4th everybody.
It reminds me of Antoine Smith playing for Mike Smith. That dude was a walking touchdown. And yet he wasted away on that team. I remember when the team finally started to give him some respect and then he broke his leg or something. I was so pissed. I wanted to see what that guy could do with Darren Sproles like touches.
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:50 am

Tom Brady is the GOAT without question, but I don't really think it was his talent. I think it was the system.

Bookmark this post. I strongly believe that a 31-year-old healthy Cam Netwon is >>> 2019 Brady and this is a QB improvement for the Pats.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:58 am

We can speculate on Cam's motivation all we want but in reality, he goes to a team where:

- If healthy, he should win the starting job

And/or

- Stidham could easily be replaced if he proves to be inept

I don't think anyone believes New England is a SB contender but they're far from dead in their own division.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:45 pm

Servo wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:58 am We can speculate on Cam's motivation all we want but in reality, he goes to a team where:

And/or

I don't think anyone believes New England is a SB contender but they're far from dead in their own division.
Why do you say this? NE's odds are currently 3rd in the AFC to reach the super bowl, identical to TB's.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:48 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:45 pm
Servo wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:58 am We can speculate on Cam's motivation all we want but in reality, he goes to a team where:

And/or

Why do you say this? NE's odds are currently 3rd in the AFC to reach the super bowl, identical to TB's.
Oddsmakers want people to bet.

They don't set odds based on what they think will happen.

If anyone thinks NE is as good as the Bucs lmao I don't know what to say

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:02 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:48 pm

And/or

These are often mirror images of each other in the beginning, and as the line drifts too far in favor of one side it shifts towards a 50/50 split (to mitigate Vegas's risk given that they profit in a push). Given that the line is moving down since the Cam update, I'm inclined to believe that the movement was an indication of their belief that Newton increases the Patriots's odds of success substantially.

In either case, there are certainly people (either Vegas, or the average joe) that does believe they are contenders to win the AFC this year.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:15 pm

And/or

I'm confused on how you think odds work? Because I think they set the odds based on what they think is most likely to happen and shift according to the bets they receive to make sure they don't get overweight.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:59 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:02 pm

These are often mirror images of each other in the beginning, and as the line drifts too far in favor of one side it shifts towards a 50/50 split (to mitigate Vegas's risk given that they profit in a push). Given that the line is moving down since the Cam update, I'm inclined to believe that the movement was an indication of their belief that Newton increases the Patriots's odds of success substantially.

In either case, there are certainly people (either Vegas, or the average joe) that does believe they are contenders to win the AFC this year.
Where do you get a 50/50 split on the Pats winning the Superbowl? Is there a substantial contingent of gamblers voting on teams not to win the Superbowl?

I suspect they try to cap the amount of money at risk with any one team, but it’s a bit more complicated than a line on a game.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:36 pm

ericanadian wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:59 pm
IZigUZag wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:02 pm

Where do you get a 50/50 split on the Pats winning the Superbowl? Is there a substantial contingent of gamblers voting on teams not to win the Superbowl?

I suspect they try to cap the amount of money at risk with any one team, but it’s a bit more complicated than a line on a game.
100%

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:47 pm

Valhalla wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:05 pm So...am I the only one here who thinks Stidham has a shot at amounting to starter material?
No, I've been reading more than a few articles talking about him carrying a 1st round grade into the summer of '18, also read some article (maybe bleacher report) suggesting that many people thought he should have transferred inside the big 12 after leaving Baylor, and instead went into a system/team that was ill suited to his skill set and it showed (at least in '18). Getting a real sense that it wasn't smoke that the patriots like him a lot. That they actually do like him. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, in many ways it feels like a bridge move to provide either backup if Stidham falls off, or to give Stidham another year and if he continues to impress, he gets the gig in '21, regardless, I think their view has to be that they've got Stidham/Newton very cheap covering '20, and Stidham covering 21 and '22 as well cheaply, if he can cut it, which is of course the cheat code for contending.