DLF Etiquette

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
problemsolver
Starter
Starter

Re: DLF Etiquette

Postby problemsolver » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:18 pm

Please please please....

Make your posts searchable. Many of us want to go back and read threads, especially about trades. We want to see what you got for TY Hilton in your rebuild. We want to see how much you paid to acquire Terry McLaurin. What Did it take to convince you to move back from 1.01 to 1.05? DLF is such a great site, but it has one major flaw. You cannot search for CEH or CMC or TY or AB or F1. You cannot search for 1.01. The DLF software will literally not allow for searches for those terms.

So please at least once in your posts refer to players by their full name, first and last. With some players with unique names perhaps just a first or last would be ok. But there are so many Browns in the league and its just a few extra keystrokes to type Antonio or Malcolm or Marquise.

If we also adopted a policy if referring to picks as pick16 (with no space) then draft picks woukd be searchable also. Its also more descriptive of where a pick actually lies (2.04 can mean very different things in a 10 team league and a 24 team league)

I will just go over here and hold my breath now 😁

McCafsteez
All Pro
All Pro

Postby McCafsteez » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:35 am

problemsolver wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:18 pm Please please please....

Make your posts searchable. Many of us want to go back and read threads, especially about trades. We want to see what you got for TY Hilton in your rebuild. We want to see how much you paid to acquire Terry McLaurin. What Did it take to convince you to move back from 1.01 to 1.05? DLF is such a great site, but it has one major flaw. You cannot search for CEH or CMC or TY or AB or F1. You cannot search for 1.01. The DLF software will literally not allow for searches for those terms.

So please at least once in your posts refer to players by their full name, first and last. With some players with unique names perhaps just a first or last would be ok. But there are so many Browns in the league and its just a few extra keystrokes to type Antonio or Malcolm or Marquise.

If we also adopted a policy if referring to picks as pick16 (with no space) then draft picks woukd be searchable also. Its also more descriptive of where a pick actually lies (2.04 can mean very different things in a 10 team league and a 24 team league)

Excellent points here! I have never thought about this. Will be sure to keep this post in mind when creating my own posts.
The Other Woman Dynasty League - 12 Team PPR (QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex)
QB: Herbert, Lance, Stafford
RB: Bijan, Hall, Cook, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Adams, Hill, Hopkins, Robinson
TE: Waller, Engram
-
You’re in this for Life - 12 Team 0.5 PPR
(QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, TE, 3 Flex)

QB: Fields, Young, Richardson, Smith
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, A. Jones
WR: Metcalf, JSN, Addison, Q. Johnston, Mingo, Rice
TE: Kincaid, Mayer, Gesicki
2024 Picks - (x3) 1sts
-
Dynasty Addiction - 12 Team PPR /SF (QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex, SF)
QB: Lawrence, Fields
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Etienne, Walker
WR: AJ Brown, Godwin, Bateman
TE: Kittle

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:27 am

M-Dub wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:12 am
Pullo Vision wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:30 pm
M-Dub wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:25 pm With the exception of the “tuddy” comment, nothing I wrote even addresses formality vs. informality. I don’t have an issue with informal language. It’s all about correct vs. incorrect. For example, “coulda” is an informal, yet perfectly acceptable, way of saying/typing “could’ve,” whereas “could of” is just flat out wrong. Make sense?
So, I think I came with more high heat than I intended. Guess that's what happens when you throw around the term Nazi, lol.

I don't think I hit my point well enough, either. Language changes and formal words and structures whither away- like "thee", "thou", yada yada. While "alot" isn't accepted by spell checkers, it is an official word to me. I have to fix it each time, lol. At the least, the pronunciation itself is different.

Can't wait until American English gets Spaniglishized!
I get what you’re saying about how language changes. Hell, 30 years ago words like “email” and “sexting” didn’t exist, and 70-80 years ago, the word “gay” meant something very different than it does today. I understand and appreciate the fluidity of language, but I’m not sure I understand your point on “alot.” Every time I’ve seen that “word,” it was intended to mean what “a lot” means, except it was incorrectly typed as one word. That’s not informality. That’s just incorrect. Informality is typing “gonna” instead of “going to” or, to keep things more on topic, typing “TD” instead of “touchdown.”

And I, too, look forward to the continued Spanglishization of American English. There are already some words that I think in Spanish without even realizing I’m thinking in my non-native language. If you’re about to walk into a tree branch and bonk your head, I’m way more likely to shout “cuidado” than “look out” or “heads up.”
Nope, I understood. Word spelling and meaning change over time. I have to correct "e-mail" to "email" on some platforms. I think "alot" is a correct spelling as well- the meaning might be the same, but the pronunciation is certainly different from "a lot". That doesn't mean I think "a lot" is wrong.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:14 am

(Note: in keeping with an etiquette suggestion from earlier in the thread, I’m refraining from quoting the previous post. Haha.)

Pullo,
I didn’t mean to imply that YOU don’t understand. I’m the one who clearly doesn’t understand. I’m over here trying to come up with how “alot” could possibly have a different pronunciation than “a lot,” and I’m coming up empty. I suppose the “a” could be pronounced two ways: either “a” (as in how the letter itself is pronounced) or more like an “uh” sound, but that’s not dependent on whether the phrase is spelled correctly as two words or incorrectly as one. That’s just dependent on how people speak. I think most people pronounce it as “uh lot” unless they’re emphasizing the phrase, but that really has nothing to do with how it’s spelled.

I do understand that spellings can change over time, but I guess I just think it should take more than one generation’s worth of kids not paying attention in English class to change the spelling of a phrase. Otherwise, we’re gonna have to start accepting “could of” and “should of” as correct as well.

BTW, I hope my posts aren’t coming off as contentious. I genuinely enjoy discussions like this as much as fantasy football discussions.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:41 pm

Another solid post.
Valhalla wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:32 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:24 pm This is really detailed. Are you guys related? Are you just a huge Stidham fan?
Neither. I’m just a guy who likes a healthy debate, and a healthy debate is one that brings up supporting evidence. I liked your rebuttal as it also had supporting evidence.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:27 am

Csl312 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:22 pm
Second:
McCafsteez wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:23 pm - Quote properly so the conversation is easy to follow along.
People need to get better at deleting the parts of quotes they are not directly responding to. Nested quotes of multiple 200 word posts gets pretty unreadable especially on a phone. Would love it if everyone edited the quotes a little bit more.
Solid points. I never considered phone users so that was a little selfish of me. Keep only the relevant pieces of quotes, got it.

Now, if someone can explain how they cleverly reply to multiple quotes at once (or, multiple quote snippets), I'd be all set! But...explain it to me like I'm 5. Lol.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: All my picks except 3rd rounder

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:36 pm

M-Dub wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:14 am (Note: in keeping with an etiquette suggestion from earlier in the thread, I’m refraining from quoting the previous post. Haha.)

Pullo,
I didn’t mean to imply that YOU don’t understand. I’m the one who clearly doesn’t understand. I’m over here trying to come up with how “alot” could possibly have a different pronunciation than “a lot,” and I’m coming up empty. I suppose the “a” could be pronounced two ways: either “a” (as in how the letter itself is pronounced) or more like an “uh” sound, but that’s not dependent on whether the phrase is spelled correctly as two words or incorrectly as one. That’s just dependent on how people speak. I think most people pronounce it as “uh lot” unless they’re emphasizing the phrase, but that really has nothing to do with how it’s spelled.

I do understand that spellings can change over time, but I guess I just think it should take more than one generation’s worth of kids not paying attention in English class to change the spelling of a phrase. Otherwise, we’re gonna have to start accepting “could of” and “should of” as correct as well.

BTW, I hope my posts aren’t coming off as contentious. I genuinely enjoy discussions like this as much as fantasy football discussions.
Yeah, I was thinking the same, in the sense that "alot" sounds like "uh-lot" while "a lot" has that beat pause reflecting the space. Also think the "a" sound is more of a pointed "aa" sound rather than an "uh" sound. Also think "alot" has an emphasis on the 2nd syllable, like "uh-LOT". "A lot" sounds like either "a bunch" or "a parcel of land". There's that pause for the space after the "a".

Maybe the clue is that 2nd syllable emphasis, which comes off as a sort of "innumerable" or "a whole bunch"? How much do you like the prospects of juju/brady this year? Alot!

It'll be interesting if changes in common speech like "could of" or "coulda" is a permanent change in the language or more of an ephemeral change like slang terms that come and go.

I haven't taken your posts as contentious. If anything, I'm the one who came in (indirectly) tossing the Molotov cocktails. Well, I guess one, and realized the next post, lol. Definitely enjoy this kind of discussion- so interesting how languages change over time. The mass importation of French words into English during the Hundred Years War could be the blueprint for future changes into Spanglish.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:28 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:36 pm It'll be interesting if changes in common speech like "could of" or "coulda" is a permanent change in the language or more of an ephemeral change like slang terms that come and go.
Eh, see I think this is where we fundamentally disagree. I view “could of” and “coulda” completely differently.

When people type “coulda,” they’re aware that the correct spelling is “could’ve,” but they’re intentionally typing it “incorrectly” in an attempt to more accurately portray an accent/dialect in spoken language. For example, Marlon Brando in On the Waterfront: “I coulda been a contendah! I coulda been somebody!” Typing it like that helps the reader internally hear it closer to the way it was delivered in the movie.

In contrast, when people type “could of,” they genuinely believe that’s how it’s supposed to be spelled because it’s very similar to how the correct spelling of “could’ve” sounds when you say it out loud.

The former is a genuine attempt to better represent spoken language on the page/screen. The latter is simply borne of ignorance. Enough people not knowing any better and not caring enough to learn isn’t a valid reason to change a word or phrase’s spelling or accept it as an alternate spelling, imo.

🦬PRIME🦬
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert

Hull Awaits

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5

dirkey
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby dirkey » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:21 am

Might I ask ... is a spelling / grammar lesson really on topic in a thread about etiquette?

We watch a sport where they literally make up words. "Winningest coach of all time." I dare say people using incorrect words isn't bad etiquette.
12 Team, 25-man Roster (2 IR), Half point PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE).

QB: Ryan, Tua, Fitzpatrick.
RB: McCaffrey, Chubb, Gibson, Gaskin, Bernard, Mack, Edwards, Hines, Kerryon.
WR: Hopkins, Moore, Chark, Landry, Chase, Waddle, Amon-Ra, Parker, Gallup, Shepard.
TE: Ebron, Higbee, Herndon.

Draft Picks
2022: 1st, 2nd, 2nd.
2023: 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
2024: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd.

RB6
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby RB6 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:00 am

Alot is not a word. The end.
.5PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
LJax, Burrow, Carr, Huntley, Heinicke, Cunningham
Adams, Kupp, Deebo, M Brown, Kirk, Wiliams, C Samuel, Palmer, E. Moore, Hodgins, Hutchinson
CMC, Barkley, Mostert, Ford, Moss, Dobbins, Dillon, Kelley, Tucker
Andrews, Higbee

PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
Mahomes, Purdy, Dalton, Henicke, Trask, Zappe
Henry, Pacheco, Robinson, Wilson, Ford, Chandler, Deuce
Hill, Kupp, Shaheed, Toney, Lazard, Metchie, Mingo, Slayton, Shenault, Atwell, Hutchinson
Pitts, Waller, Washington

PPR Best Ball Dynasty SF .5TEP
Stroud, Cousins, Willis, Mariota, Cunningham
Walker, J Cook, Miller, Zamir, Rodriguez, Carter, Penny
St. Brown, Aiyuk, DJ Moore, London, Doubs, Metchie, Scott, Claypool
Kincaid, Dulcich, Fant, Turner, Hurst

Wizard
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Wizard » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:04 am

McCafsteez wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:35 am
problemsolver wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:18 pm Please please please....

Excellent points here! I have never thought about this. Will be sure to keep this post in mind when creating my own posts.
Amen! I'd like to see all abbreviations of names include the players last name every time. I can't tell you how many times I'm reading a post and a 2 or 3 letter abbreviation comes up for a player's name and I either can't figure out who it is or pick the wrong player that fits the abbreviation. I've also run into where you can't search on an abbreviation many times.
QB -Tom Brady, Nick Foles Deshaun Watson

RB - Kenyan Drake, Darrius Guise, Tevin Coleman, Leonard Fournett, Kareem Hunt, Justin Jackson, Jaylen Samuels, Carlos Hyde, Duke Johnson Jr., Jordan Wilkins, CJ Anderson, Chris Warren,

WR - Davante Adams , T.Y. Hilton, Courtland Sutton, Devin Funchess, Doug Baldwin, Michael Crabtree, Antonio Callaway, J’Mon Moore, Dylan Cantrell, Keith Kirkwood, James Richie

TE - Zach Ertz, Harris Demetrius, Hayden Hurst

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:37 am

dirkey wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:21 am Might I ask ... is a spelling / grammar lesson really on topic in a thread about etiquette?

We watch a sport where they literally make up words. "Winningest coach of all time." I dare say people using incorrect words isn't bad etiquette.
I strongly disagree. Using incorrect spelling/grammar indicates that the speaker/keyboardist doesn’t care enough about the topic at hand and/or the other people involved in the discussion to even communicate coherently. That’s the epitome of poor etiquette, imo.

“Winningest” specifically doesn’t really bother me. It’s been in use since at least the 1940s. What I find particularly irksome in sports broadcasting is the all-too-frequent use of “mano a mano” where the speaker obviously thinks it means “man to man.”

🦬PRIME🦬

Hull Awaits

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:24 pm

M-Dub wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:37 am

What I find particularly irksome in sports broadcasting is the all-too-frequent use of “mano a mano” where the speaker obviously thinks it means “man to man.”
It's actually Spanish for "hand to hand" It is used to mean that two people are pitted in competition with each other. So in this sense, sports broadcasters are not misusing the phrase.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:57 pm

Hottoddies wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:24 pm
M-Dub wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:37 am

What I find particularly irksome in sports broadcasting is the all-too-frequent use of “mano a mano” where the speaker obviously thinks it means “man to man.”
It's actually Spanish for "hand to hand" It is used to mean that two people are pitted in competition with each other. So in this sense, sports broadcasters are not misusing the phrase.
Now if you were to say, "I going to have a talk with my son, mano a mano, about the birds and the bees", this would certainly be a misuse of the phrase. Unless, of course, it was expected to lead to a fight.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:56 pm

COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF