Active Trading

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
McCafsteez
All Pro
All Pro

Active Trading

Postby McCafsteez » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:20 pm

What's your view on owners in your league continuously sending out trade offers? Do you find many owners in your league to "play" dynasty year round? I consider myself someone who goes on sprees of sending offers, then lays low for a while until I get the urge. (Sounds like an addiction haha!) Just curious to hear your thoughts about how active your league is and how often trade offers are poppin' up into peoples' inboxes, whether the offers are good or bad...

Which brings me to my next question. Do you ever get annoyed of receiving trade offers, whether the offers are good or bad...?
The Other Woman Dynasty League - 12 Team PPR (QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex)
QB: Herbert, Lance, Stafford
RB: Bijan, Hall, Cook, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Adams, Hill, Hopkins, Robinson
TE: Waller, Engram
-
You’re in this for Life - 12 Team 0.5 PPR
(QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, TE, 3 Flex)

QB: Fields, Young, Richardson, Smith
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, A. Jones
WR: Metcalf, JSN, Addison, Q. Johnston, Mingo, Rice
TE: Kincaid, Mayer, Gesicki
2024 Picks - (x3) 1sts
-
Dynasty Addiction - 12 Team PPR /SF (QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex, SF)
QB: Lawrence, Fields
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Etienne, Walker
WR: AJ Brown, Godwin, Bateman
TE: Kittle

CL3VELANDBR0WNS
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Active Trading

Postby CL3VELANDBR0WNS » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:16 pm

I have a few serial trade offerers in my league and most are typically sending poor offers. Many fall victim to a quantity over quality approach I'm afraid. I do not get annoyed by them because it is literally one second out of my day to reject it and I understand the hustle because it is often rebuilding teams that do this.... when the offseason is more fun than the regular season lol. All it takes is one big trade win every offseason too so maybe they figure they'll catch somebody drunk, high, or both.... idk.

As for me, I like to send massive amounts of offers every offseason involving 2-6 players to "trim the fat" of my roster. Sometimes, these offers are just to gauge value more than anything as many of my leagues have very very deep rosters. (i.e. if a guy's WR1 is Anthony Miller in a start 4 league, the case in one of my leagues, maybe he might be the only person in America willing to give up something of value for my Andy Isabella)

Finally, I'm most active around draft day and the trade deadline, by far. I'm a notorious trade down pick hoarder. I actually think I've had a couple instances where I've parlayed a first round pick into additional picks into additional picks into additional picks to the point where I actually didn't even make a selection for 3 years off of that initial pick. Draft day & the trade deadline are a game of patience to me and I'm willing to die with 5 picks in my pocket.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:28 am

I NEVER get annoyed of receiving offers, although it is a bit disappointing when a string of bad offers come through, especially when they're unworkable (not even worthy of a counter)

My leagues are pretty relaxed in the offseason when it comes to trades. In my main league (Team 2), we have one guy who sends out a lot of trades. He takes kind of a "throw shite at the wall and see what sticks" approach (which recently landed him a mid 2021 1st for Derek Carr in a 1QB league). I'm probably the second most active when it comes to sending out offers, I throw out an offer every few weeks (pretty much when I get bored or get hyped/concerned about a particular player).

In my other league (Team 1), same thing in terms of trade frequency. I'm probably the most active in terms of how often offers are being sent. In that league, everyone talks a big game about making drunk trades and then several weekends go by without a deal getting done lol

I'm also in a 10-team league (not in signature) where there are two guys that are ALWAYS trying to trade. One sends out bad offers regularly, and the other says he wants to trade, asks for prices on players, but will never make the first move when he's told "idk send me an offer"
Team 1:
12-team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Herbert, Kyler, Baker, Jimmy G, Mariota, DTR
RB: Taylor, Saquon, Javonte, Conner, C.Evans, TDP
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Olave, Diggs, Hollywood, MT, Shaheed
TE: Engram, Woods, Kraft
'24 picks: 1.08, 3.05

Team 2:
12-Team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Mahomes, Allen, Russ
RB: Breece, JT, Swift, Javonte, Mostert, Zamir
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Nico, Kupp, Hollywood, Kirk, MT
TE: Pitts, Njoku, Woods
'24 picks: 4.01

Team 3:
12-Team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Hurts, Dak, Stafford, Z.Wilson, DTR
RB: Saquon, Swift, Achane, Kamara, Ford
WR: Jefferson, AJB, ARSB, Nico, Diontae, OBJ
TE: Goedert, Njoku, Fant, Woods
'24 picks: 4.08, 4.12, 5.12

IWantToDieNasty
Rookie
Rookie

Postby IWantToDieNasty » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:44 am

Negotiating trades, whether a deal comes to fruition or not, is by a wide margin the funnest part of a dynasty league to me. My league tends to go dormant between the end of the season and the draft, then there's a bunch of trading from the draft until the rookie draft, then it'll go dormant again. I love receiving offers, even when they're trash it means the other owner is trying to wheel and deal which is awesome. I've probably made a few bad deals through the years just because I have more fun making deals than I get even from getting a win during the season- to me it's what makes a dynasty league so much more fun than redraft. I get that others might not love it that way, but every time I see a text notification from a league member I get stoked.
12 team, 1 QB, .5 PPR start 1 QB/1RB/1WR/1TE/5FLX

QB: Lamar, Cousins, Russ
RB: JT, Bijan, Gibbs, Kyren, Allgeier, Moss, Gus, Sean Tucker
WR: Aiyuk, Davante, Kupp, E Moore, Mims, Atwell, Iosavis
TE: Mandrews, Hockenson, Laporta, Waller, Bellinger

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:04 am

I don’t get why anyone gets upset or offended or whatever else, over a fantasy football trade offer, of any kind. I do, however, get tired of the guys that continually send bad offers, and then go on to be dicks about it if I call it a bad offer, or reject/ignore it without counter or discussion.

Really though, I’ve been in a dozen different leagues over 15+ years, and gotten bad trade offers in every single one. If that by itself offended me, what am I doin playing this game? I understand that’s a personality trait I have that maybe not everyone dies though: as I understand it some (most?)people get annoyed at receiving a lot of texts from people. I have zero issue just ignoring stuff like that if I feel like it haha.

Anyways, the guys that are constantly sending trade offers, good or bad? I find they are generally a positive for the league overall. Spurring action or discussion or really any kind of engagement. Even the most active league has a lull. Seeing a crap offer might make something else shiny catch my eye and I’ll dive in to a counter, or a trade with a different team altogether.

To each their own, on a lot of it. But I’d really just advise keeping in mind that it’s a game. If you don’t wanna deal with alerts on your phone, turn em off. If you don’t want the email notifications, scroll past em.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

McCafsteez
All Pro
All Pro

Postby McCafsteez » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:28 am

I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying. I can see where it may get annoying receiving texts constantly to your actually phone number. However, it is tough for me to understand why people get upset about a consistency of offers being sent to their inbox or a text thru an app. It's part of the game. Some of these super competitive players who verbally state they are annoyed of receiving offers must not realize that NFL organizations are most likely always shopping and inquiring. The window to make moves for certain guys can be so slim. Same thing with bargain deals. If you miss that window, SOL.

My favorite is when I receive a terrible offer and then counter with a terrible offer. The user on the other end almost always blows up getting upset by a ridiculous counter. Like...did you not just see the offer you just sent me!?!

All in all, I love any offer in my inbox. Sometimes you get that diamond in the rough!
The Other Woman Dynasty League - 12 Team PPR (QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex)
QB: Herbert, Lance, Stafford
RB: Bijan, Hall, Cook, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Adams, Hill, Hopkins, Robinson
TE: Waller, Engram
-
You’re in this for Life - 12 Team 0.5 PPR
(QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, TE, 3 Flex)

QB: Fields, Young, Richardson, Smith
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, A. Jones
WR: Metcalf, JSN, Addison, Q. Johnston, Mingo, Rice
TE: Kincaid, Mayer, Gesicki
2024 Picks - (x3) 1sts
-
Dynasty Addiction - 12 Team PPR /SF (QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex, SF)
QB: Lawrence, Fields
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Etienne, Walker
WR: AJ Brown, Godwin, Bateman
TE: Kittle

InstantD
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby InstantD » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:20 pm

Although I've commissioned a redraft league for over 25 years(yes I'm old), I finally jumped in the dynasty waters full bore right after the SB. Can't believe it took me so long. I've joined 3 leagues and was inundated with trade offers in all of them right off of the bat. I had read plenty and thought I was prepared and had a full understanding of player value so it was kind of comical at first sorting through some of the offers. Now that I'm a few months in and I have my feet under me, some of the offers are just ridiculous. But to echo most here, I don't care. I love the activity and interaction. I'd rather have those offers and activity than a stagnant league. Maybe because I'm new to this, but I love looking at all possible trade opportunities in trying to improve my teams. Hell, I'll work on a possible offer for an hour and then never make an offer, lol.

One thing I've found that works for me in one league is a simple email. It has cleared up some things and provided great feedback on how a potential partner values a player(s) that was way off than I thought he might. Sending cold offers sometimes without any context isn't always the best approach. But I have to admit, love getting those notifications.

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:09 am

The only traders or trades that are annoying are:

1) inactive traders, who don't even bother rejecting or even communicating to anyone in any way

2) counters that are purposely insulting/terrible even after I've checked my initial offer value with a few sites and people to make sure it's actually reasonably close

Both of these guys are 100% exhausting to deal with and suck the fun out of trades and the league - maybe they know it (and don't care), maybe they don't.

Hopefully one day they'll realize ignoring or agitating people won't help them build any goodwill for future trades, nevermind win a 'ship.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:14 am

As long as they’re decent/good offers, I like getting offers, that’s one of the main benefits of playing only in dynasty leagues, imo. What annoys me more than anything and I’m in a ton of leagues and so I have several owners in various leagues that do this, they don’t renew their team until the last possible timeline and therefore miss out on any early trades, etc. Why not just play re-draft?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:32 am

If that's how someone gets enjoyment out of dynasty, then it is what it is. I don't mind bad offers, because usually the 1st offer is blind and meant to start a conversation more than anything. But, I hate people sending offers and trashing the player they're trying to acquire.

"Yah dude, hes not worth that much now. Did u see the article on Rotoworld??? U shud be concerned"

Me personally, I need breaks from trades and the offseason is the perfect time to refuel. So, I don't mind the quiet spells that takeover leagues during the offseason/summer.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:32 am

I’m active with sending offers year round, though focus on some leagues more than others. You get a sense for the league (and have your favorites) in terms of trade dynamic and some just are more fun to be active in.

I’m always in favor of receiving offers. Across my leagues there are only two guys that I know when it hits my inbox I’m going to decline and not waste my time countering. They are that bad. I have no issue receiving them, but I may be willing to respond a little slower so they don’t want to keep sending them to me, as I’m usually able within the hour unless I’m considering a counter or whether to accept.

As far as people responding, I get some folks ‘taking a break’ but IMO letting offers expire is bad for a league. If you’re that checked out, you’re poor for the league. There has to be a base level of engagement to be more than just a dead spot who sets its lineup and pays. These players are in all leagues, but drain some of the enjoyment from overall league dynamic.

It always makes me laugh when someone may out of no where hit the chat and say they are ‘back’ and/or looking to deal, but then seemingly disappear again, not making any offers, not responding to offers or DMs to try to make something work. 15 minutes of hustle and then gone again.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:31 am

McCafsteez wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:20 pm What's your view on owners in your league continuously sending out trade offers? Do you find many owners in your league to "play" dynasty year round? I consider myself someone who goes on sprees of sending offers, then lays low for a while until I get the urge. (Sounds like an addiction haha!) Just curious to hear your thoughts about how active your league is and how often trade offers are poppin' up into peoples' inboxes, whether the offers are good or bad...

Which brings me to my next question. Do you ever get annoyed of receiving trade offers, whether the offers are good or bad...?
Only if they're obviously horrible, or if the same owner, every single time sends only offers where he clearly wins w/o questions. That is tiresome. It's very easy to deliver offers that are attractive or balanced, it's very tiresome to have people that literally never, or exceedingly rarely ever do that.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:41 am

McCafsteez wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:28 am I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying. I can see where it may get annoying receiving texts constantly to your actually phone number. However, it is tough for me to understand why people get upset about a consistency of offers being sent to their inbox or a text thru an app. It's part of the game. Some of these super competitive players who verbally state they are annoyed of receiving offers must not realize that NFL organizations are most likely always shopping and inquiring. The window to make moves for certain guys can be so slim. Same thing with bargain deals. If you miss that window, SOL.

My favorite is when I receive a terrible offer and then counter with a terrible offer. The user on the other end almost always blows up getting upset by a ridiculous counter. Like...did you not just see the offer you just sent me!?!

All in all, I love any offer in my inbox. Sometimes you get that diamond in the rough!
This also, x1000.

The notorious goofball who sent me offers of a 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th round rookie picks for Juju or the 1.02 lost his ---- when I countered with a typical "------- or idiot" counter which was actually significantly more reasonable (instead of 1200-160 on the DLF analyzer it was like, 550-310) but still a clear win for my side, and then he took offense and has repeatedly taken offense through the offseason whenever I redirect his idiotic offers with the perfunctory, "even if I had a head injury which caused me to say yes, the league would protest and block this in .03 seconds" de rigueur response.

Also had the same thing happen w/a guy who was fairly reasonable in offers in the past, but came at me w/a colossally stupid offer, and I countered with something half as stupid, then he got offended, then I gave the DLF/DTC proof that his offer was horrific and mine was merely a clear win for one side and this ties into your point because if you go down this argument, at the end, after taking offense at sending idiotic offers and having them responded to in kind, and then being crushed w/evidence about just how bad their offers are, at the end, they suddenly go from vitriolic anger, to, "chill out man, just talking trades" as if their vituperative b.s. wasn't the core cause of the back and forth to start with.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:44 am

InstantD wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:20 pm Although I've commissioned a redraft league for over 25 years(yes I'm old), I finally jumped in the dynasty waters full bore right after the SB. Can't believe it took me so long. I've joined 3 leagues and was inundated with trade offers in all of them right off of the bat. I had read plenty and thought I was prepared and had a full understanding of player value so it was kind of comical at first sorting through some of the offers. Now that I'm a few months in and I have my feet under me, some of the offers are just ridiculous. But to echo most here, I don't care. I love the activity and interaction. I'd rather have those offers and activity than a stagnant league. Maybe because I'm new to this, but I love looking at all possible trade opportunities in trying to improve my teams. Hell, I'll work on a possible offer for an hour and then never make an offer, lol.

One thing I've found that works for me in one league is a simple email. It has cleared up some things and provided great feedback on how a potential partner values a player(s) that was way off than I thought he might. Sending cold offers sometimes without any context isn't always the best approach. But I have to admit, love getting those notifications.
You'll never go back. I avoided dynasty for a decade because it sounded too complicated and my life was already complicated enough, then Antsports went belly up destroying all my great keeper teams, and I went from that to Phenoms only for Phenoms to rob me blind in '14 (along w/plenty of others), and at that point, I saw some Dynasty coverage and sites, and decided to dip my foot in with two teams and an orphan. Within three offseason I'd gone from those two start ups, to 11 dynasty teams, 2 RSO teams, and a keeper team and I'd have more if my wife wouldn't kill me for it lol (and if the waivers wouldn't end up giving me an aneurism eventually). It's 10,000x more fun than redraft.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:53 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:32 am If that's how someone gets enjoyment out of dynasty, then it is what it is. I don't mind bad offers, because usually the 1st offer is blind and meant to start a conversation more than anything. But, I hate people sending offers and trashing the player they're trying to acquire.

"Yah dude, hes not worth that much now. Did u see the article on Rotoworld??? U shud be concerned"

Me personally, I need breaks from trades and the offseason is the perfect time to refuel. So, I don't mind the quiet spells that takeover leagues during the offseason/summer.
The sell jobs are hysterical. Ive been guilty of it once or twice, but mainly it was a matter of context rather than me being a hypocrite (though I'm sure I've been that occasionally). I remember a guy laughing and telling, "I thought you hated quarterbacks," after I took Darnold and Rosen at the 3/4 turn two summers ago, and I had to tell him, "I do, which is why I try to get them insanely cheap".

But yeah, the worst of the worst are the emailed offers trying to market why their deal is a must for you. I totally appreciate hearing how someone values a guy, and what it will take to get it done, that kind of directness I appreciate, just save the whole, "this is why you have to make this deal," b.s.