We're all sleeping on Michael Pittman

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: We're all sleeping on Michael Pittman

Postby bjd5211 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:30 am

I-ROK wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:22 am Below average analytics, average to below average profile. He’s going about where he should go. Poor mans Mike Williams, which isn’t a really good thing. That guy has been a pretty major disappointment. Pittman can be a really good flex guy someday I think. His value will be insulated for at least a year based on his situation and the hype.

People who are high on him will take him higher and that’s fine. This is a deep class in general for most people, and the tiers of players isn’t consensus by any means.

I think people are sleeping on Shenault more than anyone
Shhh, let him keep falling.

I'm grabbing him mid-late 2 everywhere I can, and at that price he's easily worth the risk. I view him similarly to how I viewed Lamar Jackson when he was coming out, and I got as many share of him as I could. I'm not entirely sure that he will pan out, but I know that if he does he'll be a star in fantasy.

I-ROK
Rookie
Rookie

Postby I-ROK » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:42 am

bjd5211 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:30 am
I-ROK wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:22 am Below average analytics, average to below average profile. He’s going about where he should go. Poor mans Mike Williams, which isn’t a really good thing. That guy has been a pretty major disappointment. Pittman can be a really good flex guy someday I think. His value will be insulated for at least a year based on his situation and the hype.

People who are high on him will take him higher and that’s fine. This is a deep class in general for most people, and the tiers of players isn’t consensus by any means.

Shhh, let him keep falling.

I'm grabbing him mid-late 2 everywhere I can, and at that price he's easily worth the risk. I view him similarly to how I viewed Lamar Jackson when he was coming out, and I got as many share of him as I could. I'm not entirely sure that he will pan out, but I know that if he does he'll be a star in fantasy.
I agree.

I edited my post to include this on Pittman:
I don’t like his chances being a non-early declare. Saw this in a thread here:

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/f ... receivers/

6.7% have a WR1 season
18.6% have a WR2 season

Rookie picks are hard enough to hit without handicapping myself by taking a profile that doesn’t hit often.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:00 am

I-ROK wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:22 am He’s going about where he should go. Poor mans Mike Williams, which isn’t a really good thing. That guy has been a pretty major disappointment. Pittman can be a good flex guy someday I think. His value will be insulated for at least a year based on his situation and the hype.

People who are high on him will take him higher and people who aren’t won’t. This is a deep class in general, and the tiers of players aren’t a consensus by any means.

6.7% have a WR1 season
18.6% have a WR2 season

Rookie picks are hard enough to hit without handicapping myself by taking a profile that doesn’t hit often.

Poor man’s Mike Williams? He’s an athletic version of Williams. Maybe a poor man’s version of Vincent Jackson.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

I-ROK
Rookie
Rookie

Postby I-ROK » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:05 am

ericanadian wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:00 am
I-ROK wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:22 am He’s going about where he should go. Poor mans Mike Williams, which isn’t a really good thing. That guy has been a pretty major disappointment. Pittman can be a good flex guy someday I think. His value will be insulated for at least a year based on his situation and the hype.

People who are high on him will take him higher and people who aren’t won’t. This is a deep class in general, and the tiers of players aren’t a consensus by any means.

6.7% have a WR1 season
18.6% have a WR2 season

Poor man’s Mike Williams? He’s an athletic version of Williams. Maybe a poor man’s version of Vincent Jackson.
People tend to get too caught up on comps not being 100% on for measurable. I meant he would be his teams WR2 and a fantasy WR3/flex. Odds are that’s probably a true statement, no matter who you comp him too

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:06 am

Looked at the Mizelle June ADP. Pittman is only going after WRs who were drafted earlier than he was (Lamb, Jeudy, Jefferson, Reagor, Ruggs) and is going ahead of two WRs who were taken early than he was (Aiyuk, Higgins). He seems properly rated. He could be good! He could also be Limas Sweed.

I agree with others who have mentioned that the guys who are really being slept on are Shenault and Hamler, two second rounders with profiles more consistent with NFL/fantasy success, who are going pretty consistently later than Pittman.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Straycatz2
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Straycatz2 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:49 pm

I-ROK wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:42 am https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/f ... receivers/

6.7% have a WR1 season
18.6% have a WR2 season

Interesting stats. Seems history is not on Aiyuk side. 0%. Thats a rough stat.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:12 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:06 am Looked at the Mizelle June ADP. Pittman is only going after WRs who were drafted earlier than he was (Lamb, Jeudy, Jefferson, Reagor, Ruggs) and is going ahead of two WRs who were taken early than he was (Aiyuk, Higgins). He seems properly rated. He could be good! He could also be Limas Sweed.

I agree with others who have mentioned that the guys who are really being slept on are Shenault and Hamler, two second rounders with profiles more consistent with NFL/fantasy success, who are going pretty consistently later than Pittman.
I'm with OCR. Day 2 or better WRs who breakout after 21 years old are at such long odds of ever putting together a top 24 season in the NFL, I'll let someone else blow an early second on Pittman.

Of the players who were drafted 1st or 2nd round and 21 years and younger this year:

-Ceedee Lamb
-Justin Jefferson
-Jerry Jeudy
-Jalen Raegor
-Henry Ruggs
-KJ Hamler
-Tee Higgins
-Laviska Shenault

Only Shenault & Hamler appear to be screaming values at their current ADPs.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:50 pm

I-ROK wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:42 am I edited my post to include this on Pittman:

6.7% have a WR1 season
18.6% have a WR2 season

I have a few problems with that study though;

That's a small sample size. Only 10 years back and if you then have to give the players time to break out (let's say 3 years minimum) it's really only a sample of 7-8 years at best. He even says so himself that if he made the sample size go back further it would have skewed the numbers more towards the players who didn't declare early.

When doing research for my RB report I can tell you the types of talent entering the league at a given position can vary greatly, and can either be great or be lacking for periods of many years at a time. When you do studies now going back 5 years you'd say well RB talent is great, but 5 years ago you had articles popularizing 0 RB because the talent entering the league was so bad.

He also groups them rounds 1-3, but i find a stark difference between rounds 2 and 3 when it comes to the bigger/taller WRs. The only good tall WR drafted in round 3 in recent years was Golladay back in 2017. You can't find another WR similar to that until you get to Keenan Allen back in 2013, and before that Eric Decker in 2010. So are we really grouping Pittman in with a slew of round 3 players that historically almost never pan out? 3 in the last 10 years? That just doesn't make sense to me.

edit: Kupp too

edit edit: I did a little quick research and 3rd round picks hit around 26% while 2nd round picks hit almost double that, 45%. So just the one thing of noting that Pittman is a 2nd round pick and not a 3rd increases his hit rate by 20%. This is why I am saddened by this article.

He's sorting them by early-declare but little else. What about differentiating each group by athleticism, production, among other things? He says in the article the percentages rise when factoring in breakout age (which Pittman checks). He also says 7 of the non-early declare group never broke out but he doesn't say what the hit rate on them was. Assuming it's very low, again we can adjust Pittman's percentage. He says the percentages rise again if they hit a certain production threshold (which Pittman checks). So what is Pittmans true percentage? Well, unfortunately the article never tells us exactly what it is, but we know it's higher than what is in the little chart he made for the players selected in draft rounds 1-3.

I'm sure it's valid that early-declares are better, but I don't know if that article is the most accurate portrayal of the percentages.
Last edited by Dynasty DeLorean on Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:50 pm

this is crazy talk. i've never been surer about a wr making it than cooper kupp. if i go by that arbitrary stat i should never have picked him.

i own him everywhere. at 3rd round price or less.

some stat is not gonna stop me from picking pittman.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:10 pm

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:50 pm this is crazy talk. i've never been surer about a wr making it than cooper kupp. if i go by that arbitrary stat i should never have picked him.

Got erased by accident. Like Pittman, I think he's a solid WR 2 in an offense, was the summary of it.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:15 pm

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:50 pm this is crazy talk. i've never been surer about a wr making it than cooper kupp. if i go by that arbitrary stat i should never have picked him.

Exactly... you got Kupp at a 3rd round price. Michael Pittman costs an early second. If Pittman was falling to the third in rookie drafts, you wouldn’t see anybody talking about how risky he is.

Kupp is what’s called an outlier. Believe it or not, there aren’t a lot of 24 year old rookie WRs from FCS schools who run slower than 4.6 who make it. Using him to support any argument is probably a bad idea, and this doesn’t break the rule. Cooper Kupp being successful doesn’t mean that WRs who don’t declare early are historically less successful than WRs who do.

Your whole post just seems like a rejection of critical thinking as a concept. The idea isn’t “don’t draft Pittman or any other senior,” but rather “Pittman’s status as a 23 year old rookie who didn’t declare early should be considered a major red flag.” It’s a piece of the puzzle- a relatively important piece, but still just one piece.

I don’t have any Pittman, but I’ve taken Aiyuk (who I really don’t like) and Mims (who I don’t mind), both of whom are seniors, when they’ve fallen outside the top 16 picks. I’d take Pittman too if given the chance, I just haven’t seen him slip in a league where I had picks in that range.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:23 pm

FF- Michael Thomas was a RS Junior.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:32 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:15 pm

Exactly... you got Kupp at a 3rd round price. Michael Pittman costs an early second. If Pittman was falling to the third in rookie drafts, you wouldn’t see anybody talking about how risky he is.

Kupp is what’s called an outlier. Believe it or not, there aren’t a lot of 24 year old rookie WRs from FCS schools who run slower than 4.6 who make it. Using him to support any argument is probably a bad idea, and this doesn’t break the rule. Cooper Kupp being successful doesn’t mean that WRs who don’t declare early are historically less successful than WRs who do.

Your whole post just seems like a rejection of critical thinking as a concept. The idea isn’t “don’t draft Pittman or any other senior,” but rather “Pittman’s status as a 23 year old rookie who didn’t declare early should be considered a major red flag.” It’s a piece of the puzzle- a relatively important piece, but still just one piece.

I don’t have any Pittman, but I’ve taken Aiyuk (who I really don’t like) and Mims (who I don’t mind), both of whom are seniors, when they’ve fallen outside the top 16 picks. I’d take Pittman too if given the chance, I just haven’t seen him slip in a league where I had picks in that range.
💯 Acquisition cost is everything.

Outliers will always exist, but we are trying to make predictions based on all the data available. A 2/7 offsuit can beat pocket aces in Hold Em, but that doesn't make it a good bet statistically. Playing the odds pays off more so in the long term.

"Early declares" just seems like someone trying to stake their own claim to breakout age metrics.

Just for some perspective, Juju is entering year 3 in the NFL, both played for USC, and is less than a year older than Pittman.
Last edited by Orenthal Shames on Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:37 pm

So doing a bit of research, this isn't exact it's just based on the data I have and roughly what I think a hit should be. When looking at WR's 6'2" or taller;

2nd round hit rate is 45%
9 hits
3 early declare (Alshon Jeffery, Sidney Rice, Allen Robinson)
6 non-early declare (Jordy Nelson, Sutton, Jordan Matthews, Michael Thomas, Vincent Jackson, DJ Chark)

3rd round hit rate is 26%
4 hits
1 early declare (Keenan Allen)
3 non-early declare (Kupp, Golladay, Eric Decker)

I probably missed a player or two, but even so if a player is to hit within the criteria I specified above, they're actually more likely to be non-early declares (edit: or, 4 year college players). This is why the "one size fits all" dynasty analysis I see all the time rarely, if ever, works.

edit: I have no idea if red-shirting has anything to do with being an early-declare. I just identified the players who spent the full 4 years in college as non-early declares.
Last edited by Dynasty DeLorean on Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:04 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:23 pm FF- Michael Thomas was a RS Junior.
True. I guess I should have stipulated a 4th year guy, and older player than a true junior.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick