General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
killer_of_giants
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:56 am

bjd5211 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:30 am
Same thing happened last year with the Burrow refusing to play for Cincinnati storyline
he may not be using crutches at the moment if he actually did!

bjd5211
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:00 pm

killer_of_giants wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:56 am
bjd5211 wrote:
Same thing happened last year with the Burrow refusing to play for Cincinnati storyline
It was a freak play that could happen at any given time to any player, there are terrible OLs across the league every year and that play is hardly a common occurrence.

stoneghost28
Captain
Captain

Postby stoneghost28 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:08 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:26 pm
Yeah, pissed I missed Herbert in the second round in all of my drafts.
I've kinda settled into half pissed (why didn't I at least dart throw once the drafts had settled into the bottom end of things in 1QB), and not pissed (I just suck at evaluating QB's).

Since 2010 QB evaluation of the consensus QB's is just incredibly hit and miss, as you see about those posts regarding how few are still with their original drafting team, how many aren't starters etc, but in general, it's just not an easy process and the best I can do, is rather than pretend I know exactly what I'm seeing, just try and note why I was wrong about some guys:

Darnold: there were warning signs his final year at USC

Watson: I was totally sold until his velocity drill, I no longer pay any attention whatsoever to that drill.

Tua: Maybe I should've taken the injury more seriously, even though it's early.

Josh Allen: I guess you can learn to be accurate, maybe? Regardless as a runner, he was worth investing in. At worst he was a potential Cam Newton 2.0. Should've noted that.

Herbert: That last year Dan Marino Subpar Rule. Pay attention to that, Herbert was the consensus #2 QB going into the fall of '19, should've meant more than it did.

And also feel good about the one's I probably got right:

There was only one QB in '19 worth drafting.

The top of the '16 class was mega-overdrafted. Ignore need based QB selections who don't merit the love (which is why other than at a major discount, I totally ignored Jones and Haskins three years later).

Trubisky never made sense.

Mahomes is a stud, Baker is a good QB.

And remain confused about ones that just don't make sense to me:

Winston was sooo good at FSU it's been so confusing to see him be an interception machine in the pros.

I still don't know what went wrong with Josh Rosen but there is a lesson in it: while it's probably fine to ignore situation with RB's and WR's long term, with QB's, situation is generally key. If they land in the wrong situation they're almost always screwed. Rosen landed in back to back nightmares, and is now suffering for it. It's not a coincidence that most of the busts landed with teams that fired their coaches and generally sucked F.O. and/or Owner on downward.

If you think about it:

Darnold to the Jets

Rosen to the emptyheaded Cardinals and to a tanking Dolphins team.

Jones to an inept Giants team

Haskins to a desloate Redskins regime.

Most of the seeming mega busts were drafted and developed by total incompetents in terms of franchises, so perhaps we should really consider that aspect of QB landing spot.

Jacksonville looks competent so Lawrence seems find.

The Jets brought in a defensive guy when they appear set to draft a QB. So that's a minus, the organization sucks so that's another minus, whose their OC? I probably should look into that.

Then check out where Fields/Lance in particular and Mac Jones and Trask land. Good, great, or awful?

Probably not a bad way to evaluate at least some of these guys long term.

StripesOfKC
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:16 pm

stoneghost28 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:08 pm
wickerkat1212 wrote:
I've kinda settled into half pissed (why didn't I at least dart throw once the drafts had settled into the bottom end of things in 1QB), and not pissed (I just suck at evaluating QB's).

Since 2010 QB evaluation of the consensus QB's is just incredibly hit and miss, as you see about those posts regarding how few are still with their original drafting team, how many aren't starters etc, but in general, it's just not an easy process and the best I can do, is rather than pretend I know exactly what I'm seeing, just try and note why I was wrong about some guys:

Watson: I was totally sold until his velocity drill, I no longer pay any attention whatsoever to that drill.

Josh Allen: I guess you can learn to be accurate, maybe? Regardless as a runner, he was worth investing in. At worst he was a potential Cam Newton 2.0. Should've noted that.

Herbert: That last year Dan Marino Subpar Rule. Pay attention to that, Herbert was the consensus #2 QB going into the fall of '19, should've meant more than it did.

The top of the '16 class was mega-overdrafted. Ignore need based QB selections who don't merit the love (which is why other than at a major discount, I totally ignored Jones and Haskins three years later).

Winston was sooo good at FSU it's been so confusing to see him be an interception machine in the pros.

I still don't know what went wrong with Josh Rosen but there is a lesson in it: while it's probably fine to ignore situation with RB's and WR's long term, with QB's, situation is generally key. If they land in the wrong situation they're almost always screwed. Rosen landed in back to back nightmares, and is now suffering for it. It's not a coincidence that most of the busts landed with teams that fired their coaches and generally sucked F.O. and/or Owner on downward.

If you think about it:

Darnold to the Jets

Most of the seeming mega busts were drafted and developed by total incompetents in terms of franchises, so perhaps we should really consider that aspect of QB landing spot.

The Jets brought in a defensive guy when they appear set to draft a QB. So that's a minus, the organization sucks so that's another minus, whose their OC? I probably should look into that.

Then check out where Fields/Lance in particular and Mac Jones and Trask land. Good, great, or awful?

Mike Lafleur--brother of Matt and from the Shanahan tree

Big determinant for the Jets will be if they can get a WR1 in free agency
Team 1

8 Team PPR
2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 3 FLEX, 1 TE, 1 D, 1 K
2019-20 Champion
QB: Burrow, Tannehill, Stafford, Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor
RB: Jonathan Taylor, CEH, D'Andre Swift, Dobbins, Damien Harris, Melvin Gordon, Pollard, Cohen, Tevin Coleman
WR: AJ Brown, McLaurin, Justin Jefferson, Julio, DJ Moore, Courtland Sutton, Jerry Jeudy, DJ Chark, Mims, Pittman, Mooney, Bryan Edwards
TE: Kittle, Hockenson, Gesicki, Trautman
D: Steelers
K: Lutz

2021: 1.6
2022: 3 1sts, 1 2nd, 3 3rd, 1 4th
2023: 2 1sts, 3 2nds, 2 3rd, 2 4ths

Team 2

10 Team 2QB PPR
2020-21 Runner Up
QB: Mahomes, Matt Ryan, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Dalton
RB: CEH, James Robinson, Kareem Hunt, Zack Moss, Tevin Coleman
WR: Diggs, ARob, Golladay, Lamb, Higgins, Kupp, Mooney, Gabriel Davis
TE: Fant, Trautman
D: Panthers
K: Blankenship
Picks
2021: 1.9, 2.4, 2.9, 3.9
2022: 1st, 2 2nds, 3rd, 4th
2023: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

killer_of_giants
All Pro
All Pro

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:12 pm

bjd5211 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:00 pm
killer_of_giants wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:56 am
bjd5211 wrote:
It was a freak play that could happen at any given time to any player, there are terrible OLs across the league every year and that play is hardly a common occurrence.
like i'd miss the chance to bleep on the bengals because of some reasonable argument!

SStory93
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SStory93 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:58 pm

StripesOfKC wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:16 pm
stoneghost28 wrote:
wickerkat1212 wrote:

If you think about it:

Darnold to the Jets

So based off this would you still consider Fields over Wilson?

Before the championship game, the talk was that Fields is every bit as good as Lawrence if not better.

Now Mormon Mahomes (Zac Wilson) is the best QB to enter the draft besides Burrows and Lawrence per PFF.
12 Team PPR 2 Flex

QB: Watson | Cousins
RB: Henderson | Gibson | Edmonds | Cohen | Smith | Snell
WR: AJ Brown | Fulgham | Harry | Watkins | Renfrow | Shenault | Claypool | Coutee | C. Johnson
TE: Henry | Parham

Taxi: Dillon | T. Johnson | Cephus

2021: 1.01, 1.08, 1.10, 1.12 | 2.01, 2.11
2022: 4x 1st | 1x 2nd
2023: 3x 1st | 1x 2nd | 1x 3rd

12 Team PPR SuperFlex

QB: Watson | Jackson | Garoppolo | Mullens
RB: Jones | Gibson | Swift | Penny | Cohen | Smith | Wilson |
WR: AJ Brown | Jeudy | Shenault | Coutee | Cooks | M. Jones | Chark| Fulgham
TE: Schultz

Taxi: Trautman | Cephus

2021: 2.06 | 3.06
2022: 1x 1st | 1x 2nd | 1x 3rd
2023: 3x 1st | 1x 2nd | 1x 3rd

StripesOfKC
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:08 pm

SStory93 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:58 pm
StripesOfKC wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:16 pm
stoneghost28 wrote:

If you think about it:

Darnold to the Jets

So based off this would you still consider Fields over Wilson?

Before the championship game, the talk was that Fields is every bit as good as Lawrence if not better.

Now Mormon Mahomes (Zac Wilson) is the best QB to enter the draft besides Burrows and Lawrence per PFF.
I always had Wilson over Fields (and Lawrence over both). I've had Lance over Fields too. For fantasy Fields>Mac because of rushing but for the NFL those two are pretty close for me too

I have never been a Fields fan
Team 1

8 Team PPR
2019-20 Champion
RB: Jonathan Taylor, CEH, D'Andre Swift, Dobbins, Damien Harris, Melvin Gordon, Pollard, Cohen, Tevin Coleman
WR: AJ Brown, McLaurin, Justin Jefferson, Julio, DJ Moore, Courtland Sutton, Jerry Jeudy, DJ Chark, Mims, Pittman, Mooney, Bryan Edwards

Team 2

10 Team 2QB PPR
2020-21 Runner Up
Picks

jjleurquin
Captain
Captain

Postby jjleurquin » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:59 pm

StripesOfKC wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:08 pm

I always had Wilson over Fields (and Lawrence over both). I've had Lance over Fields too. For fantasy Fields>Mac because of rushing but for the NFL those two are pretty close for me too

What don’t you like about Fields? I’m just curious if I’m missing something because he’s the only can’t miss prospect at QB for me besides Lawrence.

StripesOfKC
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby StripesOfKC » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:36 pm

jjleurquin wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:59 pm
StripesOfKC wrote:

What don’t you like about Fields? I’m just curious if I’m missing something because he’s the only can’t miss prospect at QB for me besides Lawrence.
He reminds me of a stronger armed Mariota. The main red flag I see with him above all is post snap processing--both when it comes to going through progressions and anticipation on routes.

He throws a really pretty ball, has a strong arm, good pedigree (though this doesn't matter THAT much to me) and is tough as hell, but I can't get over the anticipation/progression factor.

The other minor knocks for me is that his recievers gave him a wide berth on accuracy and he got bailed out even when he didn't hit them in stride (which he didn't in many of his big plays) and the decision making got really bad at times under pressure (Indiana game/some Northwestern too but more Indiana) but the decision making is an issue with Wilson too and the stride accuracy with Mac and even Lawrence (Wilson on the other hand anticipates too much at times and doesn't protect his WRs from taking big hits) so I am not knocking him much for these

He could be a Dak Prescott/Justin Herbert situation where his intangibles make up for a college scheme that didn't ask him to go through progressions and push him to catch up fast (I hated Herbert coming out for example)

I may switch him with Lance around draft time and he will likely end up higher than I have now seeing as I think he ends up in a solid destination like CAR/ATL/SF but right now I think Fields is far more likely to be pushed into starting year 1 and I really don't think he should

Should note that QB is my worst scouting position since I have started seriously looking at tape. I've mad major against the grain takes proven right like Haskins busting, Carr (at least in relation to the 2014 QB class), Mahomes and Josh Allen but also major misses like Darnold, Paxton Lynch, Herbert (already mentioned) and Lamar Jackson

I just think that Fields was presumed QB2 by fans for a long time but wasn't necessarily that among FAs and it's showing now. I don't think he, Lance, Wilson or even Lawrence are "can't miss" (Lawrence is the closest but I can easily imagine a scenario where he has a good career regularly reaching 4000 yards passing and a few playoff wins and is considered a disappointment with how much his hype was)
Team 1

8 Team PPR
2019-20 Champion

Team 2

10 Team 2QB PPR
2020-21 Runner Up
Picks

krtbuckeye
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby krtbuckeye » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:01 pm

Wilson is not going ahead of Lawrence, zero chance if both are as healthy on draft day as they are today.
The Highwaymen
10 Team, PPR, Roster: 28+2 IR
Start: QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, FLEX (RB/WR), FLEX (RB/WR/TE), K, 2 DL, LB, 2 DB, IDP FLEX

**IDP scoring is tackle heavy (1.0 solo and asst), no points for QBH or TFL, low-medium impact overall. Effectively caps DL scoring. Adding additional IDP FLEX in 2022.**

2017: took over last place orphan, made playoffs
2018: 2nd Place🥈
2019: 2nd Place🥈
2020: Champions 🏆

QB: Josh Allen, Russell Wilson
RB: Jonathan Taylor, D’Andre Swift, J.K. Dobbins, Antonio Gibson, Tony Pollard, Alexander Mattison, Gus Edwards, Jamaal Williams, Mike Davis
WR: Davante Adams, Stefon Diggs, DK Metcalf, Terry McLaurin, Michael Gallup, A.J. Green, Quintez Cephus
TE: Travis Kelce, Darren Waller, Irv Smith Jr., Cole Kmet
K: (will add after draft and roster cuts)
DL: Danielle Hunter, (will add after draft and roster cuts)
LB: Bobby Wagner, Jaylon Smith, Isaiah Simmons
DB: Budda Baker, Derwin James

Picks Held:
2021: None
2022: None
2023: 1st

thebadferret
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby thebadferret » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:43 am

People who put Wilson (or even more QBs) over Lawrence either work in the media and need a "hot take" or push "hot takes" on social media for clout.
16 team dynasty idp ppr league:

QB: Lamar Jackson
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Saquon Barkley, Antonio Gibson, JK Dobbins, Giovanni Bernard, Jamycal Hasty (IR)
WR: Tyler Boyd, Terry McLaurin, AJ Brown, Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman, Anthony Miller, Chad Hansen, Devin Duvernay (T)
TE: Hayden Hurst, Adam Trautman (T)
K: Ryan Succop
DL: - looking for one -
LB: Roquan Smith, Deion Jones, Micah Kiser, Logan Wilson (T), Jordyn Brooks (T)
DB: Budda Baker, Justin Simmons, Kyzir White, Antoine Winfield, Kamren Curl

2021: 1.09
2022: 1st rounder, 5th rounder

ThunderTung
Starter
Starter

Postby ThunderTung » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:40 am

thebadferret wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:43 am
People who put Wilson (or even more QBs) over Lawrence either work in the media and need a "hot take" or push "hot takes" on social media for clout.
Usually I'd agree, but I think Chris Simms evaluation is genuine
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr
Picks(2021):1.01,1.04,2.01,2.05,2.07
QB(1): Hurts
RB(2): Sanders/Harris
WR(2): Edelman/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Hardman/Kirk
K: Jake Elliot
DL(2): Ngakoue/Hicks
LB(2): Hicks/J. Smith
DB(2) Devin McCourty/Mathieu
FLEX: Murray

Bench:
QB: Mayfield/Foles
RB: Barber/JJ Taylor/Burkhead/Ollison
WR: S. Miller/Sims/Campbell/Robinson/ KJ Hill/Meyers
TE: Gronk/Sternberger/Asiasi/Keene
DL: Dex. Lawrence/Allen
LB: Chubb/Barrett/Whitehead/Bentley/Vigil/Jones
DB: Gilmore/Sorenson

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:30 am

thebadferret wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:43 am
Or they actually just like Wilson more.

I remember when Tua was generational :wink:

Ice
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Ice » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:52 am

StripesOfKC wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:36 pm
jjleurquin wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:59 pm
StripesOfKC wrote:

He reminds me of a stronger armed Mariota. The main red flag I see with him above all is post snap processing--both when it comes to going through progressions and anticipation on routes.
One can justify a lot of weaknesses in a QB but this is one that should scare anyone.

The ability to process information in the blink of an eye in game conditions at the NFL level is probably the single most important thing for a QB.

Scout speak " He doesn't come off his first read."
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

honcho55
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby honcho55 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:11 pm

Seems like a good place to plop this thought.

In the fantasy community, this QB class seems to be getting a lot of hype, and not just Lawrence. However, I’m hearing/reading some mixed results from non-fantasy related NFL media sources. Some are still rating this class super high, but I’m seeing some say it’s a weak class, last Lawrence. Over-hyped. “Guys like Fields, Wilson, Lance are going to get over drafted”

Anyone have thoughts on this?
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
14 team, 15 keeper
start 1QB, SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: Wilson, Watson, Darnold, Smith
RB: S Barkley, J Taylor, JK Dobbins, A Gibson, T Coleman
WR: J Smith-Schuster, DJ Moore, AJ Brown, A Cooper, C Kirk, A Miller
TE. T Kelce, M Gesicki

Futures
2021: 1.05, 1.09
2022: 1, 1, 2, 3
2023: 1, 1, 3