Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Who is your "guy" for this upcoming rookie class?

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:10 am

colt77 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:22 pm
Point taken although the most recent one is from September in which a lot has changed College wise. The other two are from 2010 and 2013 respectively.
There's amazing things in all 3 threads, you just have to read them. Or you could ask this same question in those threads and I'm sure many people will answer. There's no need for 3 2021 rookie discussion threads

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

Postby Yarnith » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:20 am

Ice wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:02 am A lot of People? * I should have mentioned NFL instead of fantasy.

I get the fantasy love for Chase but Smith proved this year to be lethal playing inside or out. He is going to make a NFL QB really happy week 1. His route skill is really polished already.

The extra year of college really help and having a NFL quality QB will almost ensure he will be the 1st WR drafted in the NFL. His versatility is exceptional. Sound against press and great in space.

Chase will need a great combine after sitting out a season to even be considered the top pick at WR while Smith was winning the Heisman, the first for a WR since 1991. I can just imagine a GM trying to explain taking Chase ahead of him to the owner.
The Raiders took Ruggs. Sometimes people fall in love with metrics and forget about things like Smiths 2020 season nearly exceeding Chases career statistics. I will say he is probably going to struggle in the blocking game in the NFL though. :roll:
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:30 am

And since when is winning the Heisman indicative of NFL success? There are many outside of the fantasy world who have Chase #1 too; Daniel Jeremiah, Bucky Brooks, PFF, The Draft Network and others in scouting community have Chase at #1, some don't even have Smith as the #1 Alabama WR. Chase is a bigger, better athlete than Smith and accomplished all same things Smith did (other than the Heisman) when he was 3 years younger than Smith was this season. Smith has the spotlight right now from the Heisman and National Championship, but that will fade between now and the draft and it will be clear Chase is the better pro prospect, and likely 1st WR drafted.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:34 am

Ice wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:02 am
bjd5211 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:38 pm
Ice wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:33 pm Devonta Smith is as close to a consensus #1 WR we have seen in years.

He looks awesome. Not great size but looks unstoppable. He will most likely go top 5 in the NFL draft.

Looks like another pretty strong WR class overall.
Except a lot of people (if not a majority) have Ja'marr Chase as WR1 in the class, so Smith definitely isn't a "consensus" #1 WR.
A lot of People? * I should have mentioned NFL instead of fantasy.

I get the fantasy love for Chase but Smith proved this year to be lethal playing inside or out. He is going to make a NFL QB really happy week 1. His route skill is really polished already.

The extra year of college really help and having a NFL quality QB will almost ensure he will be the 1st WR drafted in the NFL. His versatility is exceptional. Sound against press and great in space.

Chase will need a great combine after sitting out a season to even be considered the top pick at WR while Smith was winning the Heisman, the first for a WR since 1991. I can just imagine a GM trying to explain taking Chase ahead of him to the owner.
Smith obviously had a damn impressive year, but I still expect Chase to be the first WR drafted in the NFL draft.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:19 am

I think this is a fine thread and was disappointed to see all of the posts were just complaints. I'd love to see sleepers or other guys that owners are going to try and get in every draft.

Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kmani6 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:34 am

Agreed, I don't mind what is essentially going to be a sleeper thread on this class. I'd rather look through this and actually learn something about the later guys than reading pages spent arguing if Devonta Smith is a better player than Jamarr chase.
Dynasty Team 1:

10 Man, Full PPR, .2 PPC, Double Flex

QB: Kyler Murray
RB: Saquon Barkley , Breece Hall, Swift, Dobbins, Gibson, CEH
WR: Devante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Jamarr Chase, DK Metcalf, Devonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy
TE: Travis Kelce

2023 Picks: 1.4, 1.8, 2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 3.8

Dynasty Team 2:

10 Man, Half PPR, Double Flex

QB: Tua
RB: Barkley , Mixon, Javonte, Jacobs, CEH
WR: AJB, Tyreek, Lamb, Aiyuk, Bateman
TE: Kittle

2022 Picks: 1.5, 1.6, 2.3
2023 Picks: 2 x 1st, 2 x 2nd

thebadferret
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby thebadferret » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:39 am

Answering the subject I am all over Kyle Pitts. I want him so bad and hope I can land him with pick 9 (non TE premium).
Other players I really would like to have and will try to draft for a pick that can get me them are Amon-Ra in the late first/second round and Terry in the third round. Terry is very raw, but the combination of size and speed is great.

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:50 am

Really tough to make these predictions without knowing landing spots yet but if Najee Harris plays a full season and doesn’t land in a time share with another talented back he will finish top 10 at his position. He is the best Rb Alabama has produced in the last 20 years.

NWABCS
Captain
Captain

Postby NWABCS » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:52 am

Right now, Trevor Lawrence. In my Superflex, I'm going to trade the world to get him.

Until guys get drafted.. it's hard to say.
12 team
1/2 PPR
Start: 1QB, 2RB, 1 R/W/T, 3W/T, 1SF, 1K, 1 DEF

QB: Mahomes, Burrow, Lawrence
RB: Bijan Robinson, J. Taylor, Etienne, B. Hall, Roschon Johnson, Najee
WR/TE: J. Jefferson, D. Samuel, AJ Brown, DJ Moore, J. Chase, Waddle, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice
K: Butker
DEF: Bills
2024 picks: 1.11, 3.04
2025 picks: 1st, two 2nds

12 team
1/2 ppr
Start: 1QB, 2RB, 1R/W/T, 3 W/T, 1SF

QB: Mahomes, Josh Allen, Aidan O'Connell, Mason Rudolph
RB: Javonte Williams, Barkley, Etienne, J. Warren, D. Foreman, K. Herbert, N. Harris, Chris Rodriguez
WR/TE: D. Adams, DJ Moore, DK Metcalf, Waddle, Pittman, Drake London, ARSB, Mark Andrews
2024 picks: 1.04, 2.01, 2.12, 3.05, 3.11, 4.04, 4.09, 5.05, 5.07
2025 picks: two 2nds

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:53 am

bjd5211 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:30 am And since when is winning the Heisman indicative of NFL success? There are many outside of the fantasy world who have Chase #1 too; Daniel Jeremiah, Bucky Brooks, PFF, The Draft Network and others in scouting community have Chase at #1, some don't even have Smith as the #1 Alabama WR. Chase is a bigger, better athlete than Smith and accomplished all same things Smith did (other than the Heisman) when he was 3 years younger than Smith was this season. Smith has the spotlight right now from the Heisman and National Championship, but that will fade between now and the draft and it will be clear Chase is the better pro prospect, and likely 1st WR drafted.
Not buying this at all. FYI I am a big fan of Chase but he isn't a major burner. He isn't the most agile, He has good quickness. His catch point ability is elite.

The problem is he really has one uber elite trait. He is a lock 1st rounder but he is going to need a great combine and better team interviews to come close to Smith when the rubber meets the road and teams are putting up millions.

Maybe he worked his tail off this past year but we don't really know that since he quit errrr opted out on his team. Thought that foolish but time will tell.

It will be clear as mud and I would wager he will be 2nd WR not 1st. I do think they both may go top 10 if Chase shows well at the combine.

As far as the comment of Heisman....from another post. Of course there are no guarantees and didn't claim that but anyone that doesn't think this Kid can play is a straight up fool IMO.

NFL teams want versatility. Smith has proven he can play inside and outside due to exceptional routes and shows he has excellent chemistry on the field with his QB. His change of direction and route suddenness are elite.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:01 am

thebadferret wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:39 am Answering the subject I am all over Kyle Pitts. I want him so bad and hope I can land him with pick 9 (non TE premium).
Other players I really would like to have and will try to draft for a pick that can get me them are Amon-Ra in the late first/second round and Terry in the third round. Terry is very raw, but the combination of size and speed is great.
TE's typically fall pretty hard in non premium leagues so he may be there. I also like him a lot. I would consider moving up on a draft if you really want him. You won't like it if he goes 7 as an example.

Be prepared to wait a year or two for production TE is a difficult position in the pros to play great early because they need to learn 2 positions at this level.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:28 am

Hard to call people sleepers at this point, but names I don't see getting much talk who I'm interested in watching more tape on and seeing how they measure/perform at the combine:

Brevin Jordan - TE - Canes : all the hype for Pitts (much of it warranted as he looked amazing) might be giving some value to Jordan in drafts, at least pre-combine. Great height/weight, solid production esp in the redzone. My current TE2 and seeing where Pitts where get drafted in dynasty vs Jordan, I think might be the better value

Jermar Jefferson - RB - Ducks : Probably my 4th back behind the big 3, and one of the only other ones who intrigues me so far. Powerful back but also the speed to break away. Easier competition sure, but I don't hear/see nearly enough about him for how I think he's performed from what I've watched so far.

Rhamondre Stevenson - RB - Sooners : the other RB I want to watch more on. Some off the field issues and a JUCO transfer, but at almost 6' 240lbs he's a beast who pounds the ball and breaks tackles.

Jaelon Darden - WR - North Texas : I know, he's 23, he's only 5'9 174lbs, and he plays in Conference USA. Don't care, if he's there in 4th round or even late 3rd, I'll take him. Probably be a savvy statistician pick because although he played lesser competition, he also absolutely dominated them.

Also, depending how things shake out, don't forget Justyn Ross if healthy probably would have been at the very least in the conversation for WR1 with Chase and Smith. If his medicals clear out and he enters the 2021 draft (even if he doesn't perform at the combine and falls to whatever round), I'll be taking him. I see owners still holding players like Andrew Luck and Josh Gordon on their rosters, I'd make room for Ross.

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:40 am

Versatility? Ruggs lined up almost exclusively outside on the right hand side his junior year - something like 90%+ of snaps, I don’t think NFL teams really care. Regardless, Chase lined up all over the formation in 2019 anyway, so not really sure why that’s an argument.

Chase did at 19 what Smith is doing at 22, there’s just not a universe where Smith is better than Chase.

NFL teams prove time and time again how dumb they are though, Ruggs and Hollywood were clearly not the best receivers in their class so I won’t rule out Smith going first, some GM probably thinks he’ll “open up the offense” or some such lol

Mike11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mike11 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:42 am

bjd5211 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:30 am And since when is winning the Heisman indicative of NFL success? There are many outside of the fantasy world who have Chase #1 too; Daniel Jeremiah, Bucky Brooks, PFF, The Draft Network and others in scouting community have Chase at #1, some don't even have Smith as the #1 Alabama WR. Chase is a bigger, better athlete than Smith and accomplished all same things Smith did (other than the Heisman) when he was 3 years younger than Smith was this season. Smith has the spotlight right now from the Heisman and National Championship, but that will fade between now and the draft and it will be clear Chase is the better pro prospect, and likely 1st WR drafted.
Is athlete only their BMI? Smith is extremely athletically gifted, his quick twitch and fluidity are damn impressive and he's very likely going to have a phenomenal combine. Also Devonta had 1200 14 tds, why are we acting like this is his only good year. Chase quiet literally only has year (unreal year). I love both for what it's worth, I think I lean Chase a little but its really tight for me.
League Established in 2014

2015 League Champion
2017 League Champion
2018 League Champion
2022 League Champion

10 Team 20 Keeper League Non ppr

Starters in Bold

QB Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson
RB Chubb, JT Javonte Williams, De’Von Achane
Flex Ekeler, Etienne
WR AJB, Stefon Diggs, Jaylen Waddle Mike Williams, Treylon Burks, Amari Rodgers, Nico Collins, Diontae Johnson, Mingo, Burks, Tillman, Batemen
TE TJ Hockenson Higbee Hurst

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:53 am

Mike11 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:42 am
Is athlete only their BMI? Smith is extremely athletically gifted, his quick twitch and fluidity are damn impressive and he's very likely going to have a phenomenal combine. Also Devonta had 1200 14 tds, why are we acting like this is his only good year. Chase quiet literally only has year (unreal year). I love both for what it's worth, I think I lean Chase a little but its really tight for me.
At this point... there is just no way I can confidently say Chase will be the better WR at the NFL level. I'd probably lean Chase.. but it's close. So they're both in the top tier for me and I'm happy with either.

Chase is great, but I don't agree he was the #1 target at LSU just because he finished with the most receiving yards. Jefferson/Chase were both #1's in that offense. The idea that he is so good he pushed Jefferson to the number 2 role as a sophomore is a bit of fantasy. He's also 6' 207lbs which isn't exactly the ideal body type for his style of play, either.