Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:17 pm

Cool breakdown on Lawrence, acknowledging his talents, but getting into some of the things he needs to improve one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT9Bxy-uDJ0
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:01 pm

Really hope Jacksonville doesn't waste Lawrence.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:48 pm

I don't see the Jags as the shoe-in or even favorite to finish with the number one pick everyone else seems to see. They have a good amount of talent on that roster and I think Minshew will have a solid year. Not saying they are going to the SB or even making the playoffs, but I don't see them as being significantly worse than teams like Washington, NYJ, NYG, Detroit, Cincy, Miami or Carolina. There are always teams that finish higher or lower than expected anyway and there are a number of other teams that could bottom out and end up picking high. If I had to put money on a team to finish with the number one pick today, I would probably take Carolina personally.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:11 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:48 pm I don't see the Jags as the shoe-in or even favorite to finish with the number one pick everyone else seems to see. They have a good amount of talent on that roster and I think Minshew will have a solid year. Not saying they are going to the SB or even making the playoffs, but I don't see them as being significantly worse than teams like Washington, NYJ, NYG, Detroit, Cincy, Miami or Carolina. There are always teams that finish higher or lower than expected anyway and there are a number of other teams that could bottom out and end up picking high. If I had to put money on a team to finish with the number one pick today, I would probably take Carolina personally.
Ummm :eh:

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:13 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:48 pm I don't see the Jags as the shoe-in or even favorite to finish with the number one pick everyone else seems to see. They have a good amount of talent on that roster and I think Minshew will have a solid year. Not saying they are going to the SB or even making the playoffs, but I don't see them as being significantly worse than teams like Washington, NYJ, NYG, Detroit, Cincy, Miami or Carolina. There are always teams that finish higher or lower than expected anyway and there are a number of other teams that could bottom out and end up picking high. If I had to put money on a team to finish with the number one pick today, I would probably take Carolina personally.
I can promise you Detroit with a healthy Stafford would stop the living bleep out of the Jags

Giants and Jets too

Only one of those teams close to JAX is Carolina and maybe Cincy if Burrow flops as a rookie (which I don't think he will)

Jags D is atrocious and poorly coached

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:29 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:13 pm
I can promise you Detroit with a healthy Stafford would stop the living bleep out of the Jags

Giants and Jets too

Only one of those teams close to JAX is Carolina and maybe Cincy if Burrow flops as a rookie (which I don't think he will)

Well they play week 6, so we shall see.

The Jets are an absolute mess, and their one good player wants out. The Giants have no Defense and their #1 CB is probably going to jail.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:53 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:29 pm
StripesOfKC wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:13 pm

Giants and Jets too

Well they play week 6, so we shall see.

The Jets are an absolute mess, and their one good player wants out. The Giants have no Defense and their #1 CB is probably going to jail.
Detroit with healthy Stafford was one point worse than Green Bay+Lambeau refs

Them being worse than the Jags would mean Stafford got hurt--no other scenario possible. Lions with Stafford healthy have not gone worse than 6-10 in 8 years

Jags also have no defense in case you just woke up from 2017

Fact is for all the shi*talking about the Jets they went 7-9 last season with Luke Falk starting 3 games and were a 1 point loss against Buffalo and an egg against Cincy from making the playoffs somehow

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:54 pm

Getting my flag out and ready (not planting yet though) for Chris Olave in 2021

Not the flashiest player but nice burst, easy separation, good instincts in finding soft spots within zones, reliable hands, contested catches, likely (though not confirmed yet) solid athletic testing and just plays very fluidly--making everything he does at the catch point and after the catch look easy

19 year old breakout (last year) but volume stats are not gaudy (though has a 17.4 YPR) largely because of how much Ohio State runs. Wish we can see him in a pass heavier scheme this year with a more developed Fields and no Dobbins (though I'm sure Ohio State has a replacement in the wings)

Only hiccup is that his YAC skills leave you wanting more--part of this is that many of his routes were comebacks near the sideline but still something to consider

Removing that he reminds me a bit of Stefon Diggs
Maybe Robert Woods is a better comparison

Probably a chance that he doesn't declare next year though as a less established/proven/hyped WR in a strong class

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:27 am

Rashad Bateman opted out of the upcoming season. First notable skill position player to do so

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:38 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:27 am Rashad Bateman opted out of the upcoming season. First notable skill position player to do so
Just have to confirm at the combine that he has the will to work on himself and hasnt let it all go when he isnt actually in the football grind and it'll be one of the smartest moves he has ever made IMO
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:03 am

nathanq42 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:38 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:27 am Rashad Bateman opted out of the upcoming season. First notable skill position player to do so
Just have to confirm at the combine that he has the will to work on himself and hasnt let it all go when he isnt actually in the football grind and it'll be one of the smartest moves he has ever made IMO
Agree. If I was highly rated and getting even a day two draft grade I’d sit out this year. Just plain not enough incentive to play, vs the risks that are already there (underperforming final year, injury, other players surpassing you anyway). Add in covid and this is the right call
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:23 am

honcho55 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:03 am
Agree. If I was highly rated and getting even a day two draft grade I’d sit out this year. Just plain not enough incentive to play, vs the risks that are already there (underperforming final year, injury, other players surpassing you anyway). Add in covid and this is the right call
Hopefully this starts a trend of high level prospects sitting out year 3 and just going to a private practice program to put in the work without having dudes trying to take your head off
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:52 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:23 am

Hopefully this starts a trend of high level prospects sitting out year 3 and just going to a private practice program to put in the work without having dudes trying to take your head off
I don't agree. Playing the game is important, especially at the WR position. I don't think a year off is helpful, however in the context of this year, I don't blame him. Players will stop getting scholarships if you think this should be the new norm, or will have to agree to playing 3 years. Universities aren't going to shell out tons of money for players to opt out before they hit their junior years, in most cases.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:15 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:52 pm

I don't agree. Playing the game is important, especially at the WR position. I don't think a year off is helpful, however in the context of this year, I don't blame him. Players will stop getting scholarships if you think this should be the new norm, or will have to agree to playing 3 years. Universities aren't going to shell out tons of money for players to opt out before they hit their junior years, in most cases.
Fair point, I guess I just really hate the NCAA, and with the pandemic acting as a catalyst for the possibility of a dedicated minor league for the NFL I am all on board for getting these young guys off of college rosters and stop sacrificing their future quality of life to some college program for free, if they are putting their health and careers on the line every play they should be getting paid for it IMO. Currently the players and colleges need each other, if this year makes that relationship no longer symbiotic but rather parasitic (colleges being the parasites) I dont think they could afford to drive players away by putting so many restrictions and limits to their scholarships. These kids bring in so much money for their respective colleges, and dont get a penny from the college, best they get is "a platform to audition for the NFL", a solid alumni network, and an education they likely wont be able to leverage because of the brain trauma & they are spread so incredibly thin during college they likely wont be able to retain the vast majority of their education anyways.

TLRD; NCAA is scamming players and there is a real possibility of the NCAA needing the players a lot more than the players needing the NCAA in the near future.
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:26 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:15 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:52 pm

Fair point, I guess I just really hate the NCAA, and with the pandemic acting as a catalyst for the possibility of a dedicated minor league for the NFL I am all on board for getting these young guys off of college rosters and stop sacrificing their future quality of life to some college program for free, if they are putting their health and careers on the line every play they should be getting paid for it IMO. Currently the players and colleges need each other, if this year makes that relationship no longer symbiotic but rather parasitic (colleges being the parasites) I dont think they could afford to drive players away by putting so many restrictions and limits to their scholarships. These kids bring in so much money for their respective colleges, and dont get a penny from the college, best they get is "a platform to audition for the NFL", a solid alumni network, and an education they likely wont be able to leverage because of the brain trauma & they are spread so incredibly thin during college they likely wont be able to retain the vast majority of their education anyways.

TLRD; NCAA is scamming players and there is a real possibility of the NCAA needing the players a lot more than the players needing the NCAA in the near future.
I think top end prospects are needed by the NCAA for sure, to get the numbers they do, but many of these players won't play in the NFL, and if they can get a scholarship towards an education that sets them up for their careers, I see it as a fair trade off in that sense. The problem is, who and how do you decide how players should get compensated, and to what degree? It's a complex issue, and I agree the players create a massive profit for the NCAA, but these schools do also provide scholarships to players who will not be playing in football beyond University, so those players are not only not being held back, they are benefiting from it.