Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Re: Who is your "guy" for this upcoming rookie class?

Postby KingsKing » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:09 pm

mild wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:19 pm Trey Lance, Rashod Bateman, and Kenneth Gainwell are my guys thus far at this early stage of scouting that I'm most interested in. I've got 2.03 and 2.04 as my first picks in my main SF league, so I'm highly intrigued in the value guys that may fall with potentially 4-5 QB's going in the 1st round in SF.

Of those 3 names, the one I'm most impressed by is Bateman. He definitely seems to have it.
I really like Bateman too , he probably wont run very fast though . Might make him even more of a bargain if he starts to slip to the late first once guys like Waddle and Hubbard run really fast.

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:36 am

cantguardjake wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:15 pm
alewilliam789 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:45 pm I’m not seeing the Javonte Williams hype. On tape he looks good and breaks tackles against collegiate athletes, but what matters at the next level high percentile athleticism in some aspect (speed, strength, quickness) plus those intangibles. Williams may have those traits, but it doesn’t look like it.

Jermar Jefferson is an interesting prospect because he looks to have high level speed and as said above will seriously be interested in draft capital/test scores.

Najee Harris and Javonte Williams shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same sentence lol. Harris 230 pounds and is blowing past much better defenders/defenses
I’m not sure I’ve seen Harris blow by too much tbh lol plough through maybe :lol:

I’m not really sure what quantifiable athletic measurable Najee is going to test high percentile in. Vertical maybe, bench press? It definitely won’t be speed score.

If Harris is going to be successful it’s in the vein of a high volume plodder like Montgomery, it’s all about landing spot for him IMO.
From what I’m reading his 40 time is a 4.45 hand time (closer to 4.5) which at 230 pounds lol is excellent. So check on the speed score. He literally hurdles players in game so I can almost guarantee he puts up a min 120” in the broad and his vert will most likely be 34-35” min. What really sets him apart is his ridiculous quickness for his size. As a high schooler he ran a 4.16 20 yard shuttle. He was recently hand timed at 3.7 seconds. Even if he tests out to 4.20 20 yard shuttle at 230 pounds that’s absolutely insane.

For you to compare him to David Montgomery shows you haven’t watched the tape. I’m not even a tape grinder, but David Montgomery’s lack of athleticism is blatantly obvious on his tape (always gets caught from behind/rarely any long TDs, a lot of “broken tackles” because he can never get any space woth his speed/athleticism). Beyond the intangibles like good vision and cutting ability, this dude can actually get to the edge, use his strength, and hurdle people lol. Say what you want, but it takes incredible power/lower-body athleticism to full on hurdle a player at 225-230 pounds. Lol I have never even seen David Montgomery try to leave the ground.

This might be an unpopular opinion (probably not after he tests), but Najee Harris is my unquestioned #1 overall pick unless he completely shits his testing. I expect him to test elite athletically, and I think he check all the boxes that you want for an elite RB.
Last edited by alewilliam789 on Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I may or may not be related to Bryan Edwards

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:40 am

alewilliam789 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:36 am
alewilliam789 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:45 pm I’m not seeing the Javonte Williams hype. On tape he looks good and breaks tackles against collegiate athletes, but what matters at the next level high percentile athleticism in some aspect (speed, strength, quickness) plus those intangibles. Williams may have those traits, but it doesn’t look like it.

Jermar Jefferson is an interesting prospect because he looks to have high level speed and as said above will seriously be interested in draft capital/test scores.

Najee Harris and Javonte Williams shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same sentence lol. Harris 230 pounds and is blowing past much better defenders/defenses
I’m not sure I’ve seen Harris blow by too much tbh lol plough through maybe :lol:

I’m not really sure what quantifiable athletic measurable Najee is going to test high percentile in. Vertical maybe, bench press? It definitely won’t be speed score.

If Harris is going to be successful it’s in the vein of a high volume plodder like Montgomery, it’s all about landing spot for him IMO.
From what I’m reading his 40 time is a 4.45 hand time (closer to 4.5) which at 230 pounds lol is excellent. So check on the speed score. He literally hurdles players in game so I can almost guarantee he puts up a min 120” in the broad and his vert will most likely be 34-35” min. What really sets him apart is his ridiculous quickness for his size. As a high schooler he ran a 4.16 20 yard shuttle. He was recently hand timed at 3.7 seconds. Even if he tests out to 4.20 20 yard shuttle at 230 pounds that’s absolutely insane.

For you to compare him to David Montgomery shows you haven’t watched the tape. I’m not even a tape grinder, but David Montgomery’s lack of athleticism Beyond the intangibles like good vision and cutting ability, this dude can actually get to the edge, use his strength, and hurdle people lol. Say what you want, but it takes incredible power/lower-body athleticism to full on hurdle a player at 225-230 pounds. Lol I have never even seen David Montgomery try to leave the ground.

This might be an unpopular opinion (probably not after he tests), but Najee Harris is my unquestioned #1 overall pick unless he completely shits his testing. I expect him to test elite athletically, and I think he check all the boxes that you want for an elite RB.
I think the margin of error for 40 times by hand is more than .05 seconds. I'd guess he'd time closer to 4.6 if his hand time is 4.45
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:46 am

ThunderTung wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:40 am

For you to compare him to David Montgomery shows you haven’t watched the tape. I’m not even a tape grinder, but David Montgomery’s lack of athleticism Beyond the intangibles like good vision and cutting ability, this dude can actually get to the edge, use his strength, and hurdle people lol. Say what you want, but it takes incredible power/lower-body athleticism to full on hurdle a player at 225-230 pounds. Lol I have never even seen David Montgomery try to leave the ground.

I think the margin of error for 40 times by hand is more than .05 seconds. I'd guess he'd time closer to 4.6 if his hand time is 4.45
4.45 seconds
+
0.05 seconds
=
4.5 seconds

Regardless even if he runs a 4.6 at 230 pounds that’s still a solid 40 time. I seriously doubt he will run that though considering he ran a 4.6 in high school. My bet would be he’s improved on that time.

I’ve not heard of any timing that adds almost .15 seconds to someones time.

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:05 am

This is what missing the combine is really gonna hurt. High school times mean nothing. There’s plenty of argument that the combine 40 times are useless the way it is, but for me they are 100x more important than other times, including the pro day ones we are gonna get this year. I’m not a fan I’d arbitrarily adding 0.05 either, for several reasons.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:15 am

honcho55 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:05 am This is what missing the combine is really gonna hurt. High school times mean nothing. There’s plenty of argument that the combine 40 times are useless the way it is, but for me they are 100x more important than other times, including the pro day ones we are gonna get this year. I’m not a fan I’d arbitrarily adding 0.05 either, for several reasons.
As long as there is good video we should be able to get somewhat accurate times. There are some twitter folks who break down the video and can figure out the times by counting the frames or whatnot. Given that there will be no combine and the NFL is trying to standardize the pro days I'm hopeful that there will be some good video available.

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:29 am

alewilliam789 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:46 am
ThunderTung wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:40 am

4.45 seconds
+
0.05 seconds
=
4.5 seconds

Regardless even if he runs a 4.6 at 230 pounds that’s still a solid 40 time. I seriously doubt he will run that though considering he ran a 4.6 in high school. My bet would be he’s improved on that time.

I’ve not heard of any timing that adds almost .15 seconds to someones time.
Im not sure why you added the math equation, that's my entire point lol.

https://www.zybeksports.com/40-yard-dil ... g-combine/

Heres an article that has a chart comparing some players, obviously only a few examples but it does tell you that the 40 times between combines and pro days can be vastly different. I think the average I calculated from this chart was .16 so I rounded down. Thats where .15 comes from
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:48 am

There is honestly no way he runs a 4.45.

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:57 am

For you to compare him to David Montgomery shows you haven’t watched the tape. I’m not even a tape grinder, but David Montgomery’s lack of athleticism is blatantly obvious on his tape (always gets caught from behind/rarely any long TDs, a lot of “broken tackles” because he can never get any space woth his speed/athleticism). Beyond the intangibles like good vision and cutting ability, this dude can actually get to the edge, use his strength, and hurdle people lol. Say what you want, but it takes incredible power/lower-body athleticism to full on hurdle a player at 225-230 pounds. Lol I have never even seen David Montgomery try to leave the ground.

So he has the fastest 20 yard shuttle for a RB in the last 13 years ive tracked, and he beats the previous holder by over .2 seconds???? lol, yeah, have a hard time believing that shuttle time, since Chris Rainey at 180 lbs is the only RB I've tracked in that time to get under 4.00 and he was a 180 lb track star.
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:59 am

And just to be clear, I don't doubt you read that. i found it in 2 seconds via google on Alabama Mag, I just don't think its true AT ALL, lol. He did run the shuttle in 4.16 out of hs though, at the nike opening, I believe, along with a 4.66 40, and 32.25 in vert. I think it stands to reason he has improved on those numbers since hs. I don't see him improving his shuttle by .5 seconds though, lol.
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:32 am

And people said they didn't want a combine for the "analytics people" to argue about testing times lol. If anything, it's going to make it worse.

I'm guessing Najee runs between a 4.4 and 4.7 :D

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:49 am

tresskid84 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:59 am And just to be clear, I don't doubt you read that. i found it in 2 seconds via google on Alabama Mag, I just don't think its true AT ALL, lol. He did run the shuttle in 4.16 out of hs though, at the nike opening, I believe, along with a 4.66 40, and 32.25 in vert. I think it stands to reason he has improved on those numbers since hs. I don't see him improving his shuttle by .5 seconds though, lol.
Yeah I don’t believe he runs a 3.9 shuttle lol, but If he even puts up the same number he did in HS at 4.16 that’s still incredible. I just personally think that people are seriously underrating his athleticism. Especially when I start hearing David Montgomery comparisons. Even a Leonard Fournette comparison would probably be more accurate and I think he’s still a much better RB than LF because he has better contact balance and foot quickness to break tackles/make people miss.

I just think it’s reasonable to assume he’s improved off those HS numbers. Now how significantly will be the real question. Considering Justin Jefferson shaved off more than .2 seconds between his HS 40 time and the NFL, I don’t know why it’s unreasonable to believe that Najee may actually run a 4.45-4.55.

Also if you guys are questioning Harris’ athleticism and 40, you will be real shocked when you see Javonte Williams run. He ran a 4.78 40, 4.66 20 yard shuttle, and a 28.5 inch vertical in HS. His hand timed 40 is a 4.52 and they didn’t list his short shuttle because it’s still probably horrible.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:05 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:32 am And people said they didn't want a combine for the "analytics people" to argue about testing times lol. If anything, it's going to make it worse.

Bold take sir, bold.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:47 pm

CGW wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:05 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:32 am And people said they didn't want a combine for the "analytics people" to argue about testing times lol. If anything, it's going to make it worse.

Bold take sir, bold.
Lol and that was to my point. Say he runs a 4.4 pro day... How much time do we add? How accurate is it? Going to be a lotttttt of that. At least with the combine it's all a fair playing field

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:07 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:47 pm
CGW wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:05 pm

Bold take sir, bold.
Lol and that was to my point. Say he runs a 4.4 pro day... How much time do we add? How accurate is it? Going to be a lotttttt of that. At least with the combine it's all a fair playing field
Like I said earlier, if there are more standardized pro days with better video than we normally get, these times might be "verified" by analyzing the video. Now that doesn't ignore the inherent home field advantage such as a potentially faster surface or whatnot but should get us close.