Non playoff teams locked out from making a waiver claim

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Non playoff teams locked out from making a waiver claim

Postby MFundercover » Wed May 20, 2020 10:17 pm

Last season was our first, and I was eliminated from the playoffs after a .2 loss (ouch). This was around the time Boston Scott began breaking out. I triend making a waiver claim but I got an error message. I tried again later, and again the next day and it still didn't go through. I co texted the commissioner, and he told me he put this rule in, but wanted to change it. He tried for a good 30 mi utes, but he told me it was locked in place. I told him what my bid was. Then when waivers cleared, Scott was picked up by a playoff team for the same bid price that I made.

I was furious, and asked him to move Scott to my roster. The commission er refused, and changed the rule for the following week. He told me "Its just Boston Scott, it wo t make a difference". I argued that he will be the handcuff to Miles Sanders in 2020 (back in November). He disagreed, but of course I was right.

The only reason I don't have Scott on my roster is because of this rule, and the commissioner wouldn't move him. I asked the owner if he would be okay with letting me have him to make things right, but he demanded Damien Harris or a 3rd round pick, which I declined.

What do you think about this? I know it's just a game, but to me this is the worst thing I've ever seen in a fantasy football league. Should Scott have been moved to my roster? Should I trade a 3rd for him now? If Sanders gets injured and Scott plays well, and it costs me the season, I'm requesting a refund on leaguesafe.

dirkey
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Non playoff teams locked out from making a waiver claim

Postby dirkey » Thu May 21, 2020 12:16 am

Was the rule in place prior to the start of the season? Or was it something the commish had just put in place recently without informing people?

The 2 commish's we've had in our league have done a great job with rule changes. They send proposed changes to a vote .. majority wins. They haven't put anything in place without anyone else's knowledge - bar obviously the first season, when the commish created the league he set the settings, but I know he would have been open to changes had people had issues with them.
12 Team, 25-man Roster (2 IR), Half point PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE).

QB: Ryan, Tua, Fitzpatrick.
RB: McCaffrey, Chubb, Gibson, Gaskin, Bernard, Mack, Edwards, Hines, Kerryon.
WR: Hopkins, Moore, Chark, Landry, Chase, Waddle, Amon-Ra, Parker, Gallup, Shepard.
TE: Ebron, Higbee, Herndon.

Draft Picks
2022: 1st, 2nd, 2nd.
2023: 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
2024: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Thu May 21, 2020 12:33 am

Thing is, he told me "he put in the rule without thinking about dynasty consequences". He was thinking about eliminated teams interfering in a redraft setting.

This rule was not made public to the league. And when I asked him about it, before I even complained, he tried to change the setting to allow transactions, but it was apparently locked.

Then the next week, without any league vote he was able to unlock waivers for all teams.

My argument is that there is no place for a rule like that in dynasty, and it wasn't made public until it actually mattered, and he immediately tried to change it. He knew it wasn't a good rule for a dynasty league. Therefore I lost Scott to a rule that has no place in dynasty, and a locked in setting, and hadn't been informed of the rule beforehand.

I still think Scott should moved to my roster.

dirkey
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby dirkey » Thu May 21, 2020 12:48 am

I can see why you're vexed. I think that rule was actually discussed in our league .. and shot down. I don't like the rule at all.

I think the commish dropped the ball there. If he wasn't going to reverse it there and then for you .. he shouldn't have done so the following week. It should have stood for the entire season at the very least. That's a big rule change to bring in, in season, especially when someone is shafted by it.

What's odd is that he tried to reverse it - as you say it was locked. But then refused to, after the fact. I think he should have explained it to the league and moved Scott to your roster.
12 Team, 25-man Roster (2 IR), Half point PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE).

WR: Hopkins, Moore, Chark, Landry, Chase, Waddle, Amon-Ra, Parker, Gallup, Shepard.

Draft Picks

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Thu May 21, 2020 1:03 am

If the rule was already there it stands, rule can be changed in the offseason not mid season, I agree it's a rubbish rule but Scott should stay on the other team and the rule scrapped before this season starts

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Thu May 21, 2020 1:08 am

AussieMate wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:03 am If the rule was already there it stands, rule can be changed in the offseason not mid season, I agree it's a rubbish rule but Scott should stay on the other team and the rule scrapped before this season starts
Then why did he change the rule the following week and admit it was a mistake? Why did he not make it public beforehand? Why did he immediately try to open up waivers, though wasn't able to? Eliminated teams were able to make moves the following week.

I disagree. This is the type of thing that taints a league result. I think a precedent should have been set by moving Scott to my roster, that that was the intended rule and the rule going forward.

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Thu May 21, 2020 1:13 am

If he tried to change the rule but for whatever reason couldn't, Scott should be on your roster. Obviously the rule wasn't really intended to stand and his inability to correct it is on him. He should have moved Scott to your roster, and publicly explained the issue, and inform non playoff teams that if they were to make a claim to come to him directly and at the end of the year he'd figure out how to fix it, it's what i would have done.

Honestly seems kind of lazy to me. Even if your new it doesn't take that much time to figure out how to do stuff like this. Lucky that its just Boston Scott and not a guy like Lindsay or something
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu May 21, 2020 4:28 am

Which website do you use for this league? It's fishy that he couldn't change the rule one week, but could the next and didn't retroactively fix that transaction.

Shady.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Thu May 21, 2020 4:52 am

I actually do not think this is a bad rule for waiver claims only. Or at least some derivation of it. Here's why.

In 2016, I had a team that was going from worst in 2015 to first in 2016. Dominated the regular season, got the #1 seed, but I lost 3 TE's to injury in 3 weeks heading into the finals. Charles Clay was on the waiver wire, and I put in a claim for him for $5. Was outbid by $1 by a non-playoff team who happened to be good friends with my championship game opponent (my opponent had $0 blind bid dollars left). I spent the whole week practically begging the commish to revert the waiver claim because the team involved was not in the playoffs, and that it was obvious collusion, etc. Commish was good friends with the two guys involved and refused.

Ended up taking a zero at TE and losing the title game by less than one point. Clay put up 19 points in that week 16. The non-playoff team was run by an industry writer (I really couldn't stand the guy anyway) who should have known better. Four weeks after the season, he dropped Clay and admitted to me that he did it intentionally, but it was because he had my first round pick for the next year, and wanted to make that pick one spot better, not to help his buddy. Which was bullshit. Said he didn't think it would make that much of a difference. It was a dickhead move that cost me $400.

I'm always of the mindset that the teams who are playing for $ should have priority on waiver claims over those playing for scraps. Non-playoff teams should be allowed FCFS only during the playoffs.
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

dirkey
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby dirkey » Thu May 21, 2020 4:57 am

Mephistopheles wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:52 am I actually do not think this is a bad rule for waiver claims only. Or at least some derivation of it. Here's why.

In 2016, I had a team that was going from worst in 2015 to first in 2016. Dominated the regular season, got the #1 seed, but I lost 3 TE's to injury in 3 weeks heading into the finals. Charles Clay was on the waiver wire, and I put in a claim for him for $5. Was outbid by $1 by a non-playoff team who happened to be good friends with my championship game opponent (my opponent had $0 blind bid dollars left). I spent the whole week practically begging the commish to revert the waiver claim because the team involved was not in the playoffs, and that it was obvious collusion, etc. Commish was good friends with the two guys involved and refused.

Ended up taking a zero at TE and losing the title game by less than one point. Clay put up 19 points in that week 16. The non-playoff team was run by an industry writer (I really couldn't stand the guy anyway) who should have known better. Four weeks after the season, he dropped Clay and admitted to me that he did it intentionally, but it was because he had my first round pick for the next year, and wanted to make that pick one spot better, not to help his buddy. Which was bullshit. Said he didn't think it would make that much of a difference. It was a dickhead move that cost me $400.

I'm always of the mindset that the teams who are playing for $ should have priority on waiver claims over those playing for scraps. Non-playoff teams should be allowed FCFS only during the playoffs.
Just, out of interest, was $5 your remaining budget?

Draft Picks

ckrumm24
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby ckrumm24 » Thu May 21, 2020 4:59 am

ThunderTung wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:13 am If he tried to change the rule but for whatever reason couldn't, Scott should be on your roster. Obviously the rule wasn't really intended to stand and his inability to correct it is on him. He should have moved Scott to your roster, and publicly explained the issue, and inform non playoff teams that if they were to make a claim to come to him directly and at the end of the year he'd figure out how to fix it, it's what i would have done.

Honestly seems kind of lazy to me. Even if your new it doesn't take that much time to figure out how to do stuff like this. Lucky that its just Boston Scott and not a guy like Lindsay or something
I agree with all of this with the info given. The commissioner shouldn’t be the commissioner as he isn’t equipped for it. However, this is fantasy football not the ruler of the free world (oh wait..). You get what you get. If people are new to dynasty or even fantasy in general, rules and setting will naturally improve as the years go by (assuming people aren’t completely idiotic). It doesn’t sound like any change will be made at this point so you might just want to take the L on this one if you like the league and think it will improve.
12 team IDP Salary Cap w/ contracts 40 man roster + 20 taxi spots | 4 year max contract w/ Franchise(1)/Transition(2)/RFA Tags). Mostly mirrors real NFL.

Full Roster:
https://www59.myfantasyleague.com/2020/ ... =0008&O=07

smbkrypt24
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smbkrypt24 » Thu May 21, 2020 5:02 am

Mephistopheles wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:52 am I actually do not think this is a bad rule for waiver claims only. Or at least some derivation of it. Here's why.

I would also pick up a player if it meant helping my draft stock by 1 position. I don't think that is bullcrap at all. With that owner having something vested in that game makes it even more probable. If your exact scenario played out and that owner didn't have your future 1st I would then think collusion (probably not get there since owners change their minds on players a lot) and bring that forward because he picked up a player in dynasty and dropped him 4 weeks later after a good game.

I disagree that playoff teams should have priority on claims in dynasty leagues. This would give them an advantage over the rest of the league if someone breaks out in the playoffs and they are given priority over non playoff teams or eliminated playoff teams.
12 Team PPR Dynasty. Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 K, 1 D, 21 roster spots.

2013 Startup
Team 1- 3rd in 2023
QB: Herbert, B. Purdy, Fields
RB: Bijan, Barkley, Akers, Dobbins
WR: T. Hill, AJB, D. Johnson, JSN, Doubs, Meyers, Thomas, Toney
TE: Andrews, Likely, Dulcich

2024: 1.04, 1.09, 2.02
2025: 1, 2, 3

2019 Startup
Team 2- 4th in 2023
QB: Murray, Cousins, Wilson
RB: Bijan, Kamara, Mixon, Dobbins, Rodriguez
WR: Chase, G. Wilson, D. Adams, Di. Johnson, M. Wilson, W. Robinson, Toney
TE: McBride, Pitts, Kmet, Likely

2024: 1.01, 1.06, 1.08, 1.11, 2.09
2025: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3

2021 Startup
Team 3- 11th in 2023
QB: Goff, Watson, Cousins, Levis, Rodgers, Young
RB: Gibbs, Pacheco, Dobbins
WR: Chase, J. Jefferson, JSN, Palmer, Mooney, Tillman
TE: Schultz, Pitts, Likely, Okonkwo

2024: 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 1.04, 2.03, 2.06, 2.07, 2.10, 3.03, 3.06, 3.08
2025: 1, 2, 3

ckrumm24
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby ckrumm24 » Thu May 21, 2020 5:03 am

dirkey wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:57 am

Not to derail this thread, but do you know for sure it was collusion or are you just assuming it? If it was collusion there should be consequences, but it shouldn’t mean you put a rule in place to handcuff all of the non playoff teams from possibly getting better. This is dynasty, not redraft.
12 team IDP Salary Cap w/ contracts 40 man roster + 20 taxi spots | 4 year max contract w/ Franchise(1)/Transition(2)/RFA Tags). Mostly mirrors real NFL.

Full Roster:
https://www59.myfantasyleague.com/2020/ ... =0008&O=07

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Thu May 21, 2020 5:21 am

dirkey wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:57 am

Yup, that's how I knew it was collusion, the non playoff team had like $15 and he bid $6.
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Thu May 21, 2020 5:45 am

All teams, playoff bound or not, in dynasty, should be allowed to add free agents. I would never play in a league where a commish was that flippant.
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver