Bryan Edwards

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Bryan Edwards

Postby alewilliam789 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:33 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:39 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:35 pm Big old goose egg today. Complimentary player. That's it.
Yuuup, I'm ready to cut ties after this game. If he can't must anything after 5 targets a week vacates the premises it's likely not going to happen
As Bryan Edwards relative I’m appalled.
As a team that has shares of him, I really wish I sold after Game 1 :whistle:
I may or may not be related to Bryan Edwards

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:34 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:45 pm He didn’t get any targets and Carr threw 2 INTs and lost to one of the worst teams in the nfl. Maybe they should have given him some targets.
He had 4 targets, caught 0 of them. I didn't see the game so I have no clue if they were catchable balls, but Edwards just isn't a great player regardless.

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:49 pm

gogobradyarm wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:32 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:45 pm He didn’t get any targets and Carr threw 2 INTs and lost to one of the worst teams in the nfl. Maybe they should have given him some targets.
I think we're at a point where if he isn't getting targets, he might just not be that good. We can point to film and we can point to analytics, but if the guy isn't getting targets from Carr, then Carr or the coaching may not think he is worthy of targets.

I have been an Edwards fan in the past, but i'm not sure it's happening. Party might be off.
Ehh I think Derek Carr is a player that favors his TEs, checking down to RBs, and scripted long throws. He really only makes throws outside if he sees a super apparent mismatch.

He does like Hunter Renfroe a lot tho so :doh:
I may or may not be related to Bryan Edwards

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:04 pm

alewilliam789 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:49 pm
gogobradyarm wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:32 pm
I think we're at a point where if he isn't getting targets, he might just not be that good. We can point to film and we can point to analytics, but if the guy isn't getting targets from Carr, then Carr or the coaching may not think he is worthy of targets.

I have been an Edwards fan in the past, but i'm not sure it's happening. Party might be off.
Ehh I think Derek Carr is a player that favors his TEs, checking down to RBs, and scripted long throws. He really only makes throws outside if he sees a super apparent mismatch.

He does like Hunter Renfroe a lot tho so :doh:
Not really. Carr threw plenty to Crabtree and Cooper back a few years ago. Secondly, the Raiders offense, by design uses the TE's and backs a lot, they aren't really check downs all that often. A lot are designed plays as first reads. He's also been airing it out a lot recently, even when he perhaps should take a checkdown, the odd time. It's a narrative that just isn't accurate. Nothing of what you said tells me you watch the Raiders much. Just last week Carr aired it out deep to Zay Jones who was well covered, instead of taking the check down and Jones made a great catch for about 40 yards for example. He also threw a 20 yard dart into tight coverage to Edwards from his own goal line, rather than taking the easy check downs that were there.

The check down thing makes me laugh. It's a narrative that just doesn't hold water. I'm telling you, as someone who knows more things Raiders than most, Edwards just isn't that good. He's a complimentary WR, that's all. It's not Carr, it's Edwards. It's also the offense. Edwards simply isn't good enough to demand a shift in offensive philosophy to start targeting him heavily. He's slow off the LOS, and there's nothing to his routes. He can't separate. He's almost lumbering at times, it seems. He's good after the catch, tough to bring down, it's just the route running isn't there at all.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:47 pm

Water Buffalo wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:34 pm
He had 4 targets, caught 0 of them. I didn't see the game so I have no clue if they were catchable balls, but Edwards just isn't a great player regardless.
Oh, weird, box score I looked at didn’t have him on there

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:46 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:47 pm
Water Buffalo wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:34 pm
Oh, weird, box score I looked at didn’t have him on there
Nothing to put into the boxes. Only reason I know he even played is because sleeper displays targets even if they don't make a catch all game. No sports app I've used has shown a player's data if there is none to show
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

RheinlandChief
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby RheinlandChief » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:25 am

Made a trade-offer for him last week but the owner didn't respond at all to that. Maybe I should be happy for that...
16-team Dynasty, 40 Roster, Half-PPR + IDP (QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, W/R, DEF, K, IDP, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB)
QB: Mahomes
RB: Achane, Warren, Spears, McLaughlin, Brown,
WR: DJM, Jeudy, London, Pickens, Downs, Meyers, W. Robinson, Samuel, Tucker
TE: LaPorta, Pitts, Okonkwo, Otton
K: McLaughlin
DEF: Patriots, Bengals
DL: Garrett, Crosby, Hutchinson, Chase Young, J. Bosa, Tuipulotu
LB: Parsons, Bolton, Lloyd, Campbell, Byron Young
DB: Winfield, Pitre, Hufanga, Bland

Picks 2024: 1st, 2x 3rd, 2x 4th, 5th, 6th

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:36 am

Apparently they're signing DeSean Jackson.

Still, Edwards seems to be a last resort for Carr. Not sure what's going on there.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:25 am

The Raiders are probably going to go after a WR in FA. I still think they make a push for Adams.

It's not completely over for Edwards, but this is a limited opportunity for a breakout.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:04 am

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:36 am Apparently they're signing DeSean Jackson.

Still, Edwards seems to be a last resort for Carr. Not sure what's going on there.
He doesn't get open much. As I stated earlier, his releases are poor, and he's not much of a route runner. It takes him a long time to get up to speed, and there's zero nuance to his game. As a fan of the team, and a player who has watched basically every snap for years, Edwards looks like a complimentary player. He's not good enough to be a focal point of the offense.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:05 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:25 am The Raiders are probably going to go after a WR in FA. I still think they make a push for Adams.

It's not completely over for Edwards, but this is a limited opportunity for a breakout.
While I like Adams, I think the price tag would be insane. I could see a move like Chark. Deep speed, a bit more route running ability than Ruggs, and won't cost the price Adams does, and younger.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:04 am

Still can't believe the hype this guy got 2 years ago.

Insanity
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:24 pm

To the people still holding out hope i think they need to realize this, in todays NFL we know by year 2 whether a WR will be a fantasy producer or not. Im not saying we know their ceiling but we certainly know if they can be fantasy relevant, its time to put Edwards into the not fantasy relevant category. Sure there are the 10 percent of players like Adam Theilen who experience extremely late breakouts, but for the most part we know early now a days what a player is and isnt. Im sorry to the Edwards believers but it isnt going to happen

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:08 pm

I remember a WR who wasnt getting many targets from Derek Carr at one point - his name Amari Cooper. I recall plenty of people calling Cooper a bust during that period when Carr & him werent connecting. Seemed to work out alright for him in the end.

Not comparing the two talent wise - just noting that just because a player who is basically in his first full year of NFL (I consider 2020 a lost year between recovery from 2019 injury, 2020 injuries & pandemic) is only getting a steady diet of 4-5 targets a game does not make him a bust in my book. If this was his rookie year - which imho for developmental purposes it is - its a pretty solid one.

Now if the goal was to expect Edwards to be a bona-fide Alpha WR1 from Day 1 (well apart from unreasonable expectations) then maybe it is time to re-adjust those expectations. However if you were more prepared to expect a slow build into a WR2 - then plenty of time for that to come about. The tape, at least for me, shows he is legit. I am not concerned long term about his target volume in 2021. Doing so is exactly how owners become bad owners - by making long term decisions on short term data that actually isnt that bad.

In any case I will be curious to see what owners seeking to sell Edwards are going to get for him atm - I'd be surprised if it is anything more than a 3rd in most leagues. Contenders are not likely to be giving up 2nds to get WRs that they wont put in the lineup and rebuilders are likely to value the early 2nd more. Swap for a different WR that another owner is unhappy with? Dont think Edwards atm will net you anything better than a Denzel Mims, Paris Campbell, N'Keal Harry, JJAW type. Maybe if you're lucky but I highly doubt it you'll lateral to Chase Claypool, Laviska Shenault, Elijah/Rondale Moore. Jalen Reagor / Terrace Marshall might be the best optimal outcome if you're trying to get out and I doubt many people are excited by thier 2021 season so far.

I rather have the WR who is on pace for 700-800 yards in his age 23 season despite all the target spread. That suggests a Robert Woods / Mike Williams / Christian Kirk type career arc. The good news is that likely many owners will think like some above and you'll possibly be able to scoop up shares and use him as a WR3 at a WR 5/6 price next year or 2023.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:36 pm

ArrylT wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:08 pm I remember a WR who wasnt getting many targets from Derek Carr at one point - his name Amari Cooper. I recall plenty of people calling Cooper a bust during that period when Carr & him werent connecting. Seemed to work out alright for him in the end.

Not comparing the two talent wise - just noting that just because a player who is basically in his first full year of NFL (I consider 2020 a lost year between recovery from 2019 injury, 2020 injuries & pandemic) is only getting a steady diet of 4-5 targets a game does not make him a bust in my book. If this was his rookie year - which imho for developmental purposes it is - its a pretty solid one.
Cooper and Edwards aren't comparable at all beyond playing with Derek Carr. Cooper went 72/1070/6 as a rookie and 83/1153/5 in his second season. It wasn't a matter of if Cooper could produce, it was a matter of if he could get back to the production he had proven capable of.

Edwards has 29 catches in 20 games and has proven nothing so far.

I too won't say that Edwards is on the path to being irrelevant just yet, but it's a bad comparison.
I rather have the WR who is on pace for 700-800 yards in his age 23 season despite all the target spread. That suggests a Robert Woods / Mike Williams / Christian Kirk type career arc. The good news is that likely many owners will think like some above and you'll possibly be able to scoop up shares and use him as a WR3 at a WR 5/6 price next year or 2023.
Woods had a rare 6th-year breakout and had to change teams to do it and land with one of the best offensive coaches in recent memory. Mike Williams with the not-as-rare, but still rare 5th-year breakout. I don't know if these are things you want to bet on. There's probably a stronger chance he's trending towards Chris Conley and Marquez Valdes-Scantling territory.

I don't think his career is over either and he could still reach Top-36 territory one day, but he has to show a lot more before a Robert Woods type of breakout seems feasible. Right now, Edwards looks like a depth WR.