2020 TE class

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
grandmabetty
Captain
Captain

2020 TE class

Postby grandmabetty » Sat May 16, 2020 6:30 pm

it seems this years TE class lacks any superstars in the making. Im in a TE premium league (2 ppr) and was thinking of targeting one in the 2nd rd. 1st rd just finished and none were selected. If there has already been a thread discussing rankings/analysis please point me in that direction

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: 2020 TE class

Postby bjd5211 » Sat May 16, 2020 6:37 pm

I wouldn't bother with TE too much this year or elevate them much because of your settings. Kmet and Trautman lasted until the 3rd or 4th rounds in my TE Premium leagues. If you can get them or the NE TEs in that range go for it, but if they are taken before then no big deal.

Zacsby
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Zacsby » Sat May 16, 2020 10:11 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:37 pm I wouldn't bother with TE too much this year or elevate them much because of your settings. Kmet and Trautman lasted until the 3rd or 4th rounds in my TE Premium leagues. If you can get them or the NE TEs in that range go for it, but if they are taken before then no big deal.
x2. Wouldn't be able to draft one of these guys early even in TE premium. None of them were drafted high enough to have insulated value. Might as well just sit back and see which ones have the best chance of panning out down the road, or targeting a guy that's already close. Think Jonnu Smith or Ian Thomas or somebody like that. Because of how long they take to develop there will inevitably be better buy windows between now and when they have clearly hit.
12 Team SF IDP
QB - Mahomes, Lawrence, Mac
RB - Etienne, Walker, Rhamondre, Javonte, Akers, CEH
WR - AJB, Waddle, Higgins, Gabe, Toney
TE - Andrews, ISJ
DL - Quinnen, Highsmith, Josh Allen
LB - Lloyd, JOK, Gay, Bush
DB - Winfield, Love, Delpit

14 Team 1QB IDP
QB - Fields, Jimmy G
RB - Henry, Kamara, Swift, Herbert
WR - Adams, Juju, Jakobi, Theilen
TE - Hock, Everett
DL - Garrett, Buckner, Sweat
LB - White, David, Okereke, Jack
DB - Budda, CJGJ, Dugger, Byard

Straycatz2
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Straycatz2 » Sat May 16, 2020 10:35 pm

Target Trauman if you can. 2nd highest graded receiving TE in PFF history. Dropped because he came from small school. Saints used their 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th round pick to move up to take him so they are committed. Cook may not be back next year. He's the only TE I would bother with.

Good read
https://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2 ... ints-draft

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sat May 16, 2020 10:44 pm

Straycatz2 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:35 pm Target Trauman if you can. 2nd highest graded receiving TE in PFF history. Dropped because he came from small school. Saints used their 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th round pick to move up to take him so they are committed. Cook may not be back next year. He's the only TE I would bother with.

Good read
https://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2 ... ints-draft
x2
Except one extra caveat besides Trautman to keep an eye on: Dalton Keene, Patriots TE out of Virginia Tech
Incredible athletic profile but primarily used in a blocking role in college. Shades of George Kittle
Would not draft him but he is a top of the watchlist guy for me

Easy Breesy
Captain
Captain

Postby Easy Breesy » Sat May 16, 2020 11:26 pm

What do you guys think about Josiah desgura? And Brycen Hopkins is Everett leaves next year?
16 team Tiered PPR league, TE Premium, 52 man roster, 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1W/R, 1TE/W, Full IDP
QB- Russ, Justin Herbert
RB- Antonio Gibson Ty Johnson, David Johnson Lat Murray
WR- Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, DJ Moore, Cordarelle Patterson,
TE- Hockeson, , Jonnu Smith, Firkser, Logan Thomas

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Sun May 17, 2020 8:29 am

Buy TEs after they do nothing their rookie season. Much cheaper, same chance of becoming fantasy relevant

Superstar TE prospects rarely become the top 6-8 fantasy TEs who matter

Kelce a 3rd round pick, Mark Andrews a 3rd round pick and 2nd TE taken by his team that year. Kittle a 5th round pick. Austin Hooper a 3rd round who didn’t break out til his 4th season.

Good luck predicting that during rookie draft time. Or even after their 1st year in the league.
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Sun May 17, 2020 9:55 am

grandmabetty wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:30 pm it seems this years TE class lacks any superstars in the making. Im in a TE premium league (2 ppr) and was thinking of targeting one in the 2nd rd. 1st rd just finished and none were selected. If there has already been a thread discussing rankings/analysis please point me in that direction
Honestly I am 1000% convinced you should just try and trade for up and coming guys who haven't broken out yet and may have lost value (Oliver, Warring, Moreau, Herndon whose lost value since the suspension and injury) this class not only sucks, but the same 2-3 year typical delay applies so how are you going to be able to "hold" guys for years when they aren't good prospects to begin with? Trade for well thought of guys from other teams that are still buried/havent broken out yet etc. There's at least half a dozen or more, or pay a bit more for guys like Jonnu, OJ, Everett who are a year away from being out on a free and a potential legit productive gig. Knowing these guys this year aren't good AND will likely stink even if they are good till '22 or later makes it a total nonstarter. Only exception for me is Trautman because he's an interesting prospect AND landed in a good situation but he'll be expensive.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun May 17, 2020 5:26 pm

hockeyBjj wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:29 am Buy TEs after they do nothing their rookie season. Much cheaper, same chance of becoming fantasy relevant

Kelce a 3rd round pick, Mark Andrews a 3rd round pick and 2nd TE taken by his team that year. Kittle a 5th round pick. Austin Hooper a 3rd round who didn’t break out til his 4th season.

Good luck predicting that during rookie draft time. Or even after their 1st year in the league.
This is a good point. While, it's great to have a 1st round TE, lately it hasn't been important to NFL success. The TE position is complex and has a steep learning curve.

As you mentioned, here are some of the most recent TE1s in fantasy:

Kelce - 3rd round
Andrews - 3rd round
Hooper - 3rd round
Gronk - 2nd round
Witten - 3rd round
Ertz - 2nd round
Kittle - 5th round
Waller - 6th round
Walker - 6th round
Olsen - 1st round
Gates - UDFA
Graham - 3rd round

This TE class looks weak on paper, but odds are that a TE from the middle rounds will overachieve and become a star.

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:34 pm

hockeyBjj wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:29 am
This is true recently but looking back the past 20 yrs here are some 1st round TEs who ended up having a decent to great fantasy impact

Todd Heap
Shockey
Dallas Clark
Ben Watson
Heath Miller
Mercedes Lewis
Vernon Davis
Greg Olsen
Tyler eifert

Certainly many of the top TEs have come from later in the draft, but it's not as if the guys taken in the first round have a particularly low hit rate. A few of the other 1st rounders I haven't listed here were still start able in fantasy for at least a short time in their career. It's like any position, the earlier they are drafted the higher the chance they will be great, but there will still be a bunch of busts.

That said TEs certainly tend to take longer to make an impact so you can probably acquire them cheaper in their second or third year than what you spend to deaft them.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun May 17, 2020 9:05 pm

hockeyBjj wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:29 am Buy TEs after they do nothing their rookie season. Much cheaper, same chance of becoming fantasy relevant

Problem there is that you kinda contradict yourself. Kelce put up 862 yards and 5 TDs in his firsr real season. Andrews was clearly lead TE in Baltimore after his first season. Kittle put up 515 yards and 2 TDs in a part time role after taking over the lead receiving role mid season in a Shanahan led offense. Hooper is pretty much the only guy of your examples that still would’ve been cheap after their first year of production.

You could acquire them cheaper than after they reached full stardom at this point, but that’s true of any position. You could make the same argument that it’s better to acquire Moore now than as a rookie because he’s hit now.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

RB6
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby RB6 » Sun May 17, 2020 10:03 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:05 pm

Problem there is that you kinda contradict yourself. Kelce put up 862 yards and 5 TDs in his firsr real season. Andrews was clearly lead TE in Baltimore after his first season. Kittle put up 515 yards and 2 TDs in a part time role after taking over the lead receiving role mid season in a Shanahan led offense. Hooper is pretty much the only guy of your examples that still would’ve been cheap after their first year of production.

You could acquire them cheaper than after they reached full stardom at this point, but that’s true of any position. You could make the same argument that it’s better to acquire Moore now than as a rookie because he’s hit now.
No he didn’t. Respectable rookie TE seasons for Andrews and Kittle. Kelce barely played his. Completely understandable the majority would sour quickly to sell. This is all about what have you done for me lately.
.5PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
LJax, Burrow, Carr, Huntley, Heinicke, Cunningham
Adams, Kupp, Deebo, M Brown, Kirk, Wiliams, C Samuel, Palmer, E. Moore, Hodgins, Hutchinson
CMC, Barkley, Mostert, Ford, Moss, Dobbins, Dillon, Kelley, Tucker
Andrews, Higbee

PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
Mahomes, Purdy, Dalton, Henicke, Trask, Zappe
Henry, Pacheco, Robinson, Wilson, Ford, Chandler, Deuce
Hill, Kupp, Shaheed, Toney, Lazard, Metchie, Mingo, Slayton, Shenault, Atwell, Hutchinson
Pitts, Waller, Washington

PPR Best Ball Dynasty SF .5TEP
Stroud, Cousins, Willis, Mariota, Cunningham
Walker, J Cook, Miller, Zamir, Rodriguez, Carter, Penny
St. Brown, Aiyuk, DJ Moore, London, Doubs, Metchie, Scott, Claypool
Kincaid, Dulcich, Fant, Turner, Hurst

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Mon May 18, 2020 12:36 am

Csl312 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:34 pm
hockeyBjj wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:29 am
This is true recently but looking back the past 20 yrs here are some 1st round TEs who ended up having a decent to great fantasy impact

Todd Heap
Shockey
Dallas Clark
Ben Watson
Heath Miller
Mercedes Lewis
Vernon Davis
Greg Olsen
Tyler eifert

Certainly many of the top TEs have come from later in the draft, but it's not as if the guys taken in the first round have a particularly low hit rate. A few of the other 1st rounders I haven't listed here were still start able in fantasy for at least a short time in their career. It's like any position, the earlier they are drafted the higher the chance they will be great, but there will still be a bunch of busts.

That said TEs certainly tend to take longer to make an impact so you can probably acquire them cheaper in their second or third year than what you spend to deaft them.
I tend to disagree, I like to take a dart throw on a TE i like in the 4th or 5th round knowing full well that they'll be stashes for 2-3 years. Took Sternberger late last year, and now he's on top of the depth chart in GB, and i definitely wouldn't sell him for less than what I got him for now, took Goedert the year before (albeit a bit earlier, 3rd round) and definitely wouldnt trade him for anything less than a first

Any smart owner will know the situation the player is in, and your chances of trading for a hibernating star after their first year, for cheap, aren't great imo. The cheapest these tight ends will be that arent busts are during the rookie draft, and considering their adp's in these drafts, Your chances of hitting on a TE in the 4th or 5th are alot better than hitting on a RB/WR. Even if that means they sit in your taxi for a couple of seasons.
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat May 23, 2020 9:31 am

The 2020 TE class is one of my favorite TE classes of recent years and I would not be surprised if we have a couple of lesser known TEs breakout in the next year or so much like George Kittle.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Sun May 24, 2020 1:24 pm

I’m going after T. Moss at 5th round or free prices in a few of my leagues, especially the TE bonus type. Not because I think he’s the most talented or best TE prospect in this class. But because the position looks wide open in Washington, and he has bloodlines(name value) that make him easily recognizable. If by some chance he gets to start at some point, and does anything at all with the chance, he would be an easy sell and instant profit. If not, or in the meantime, he’s an easy drop if needed.