2020 vs 2021 Class

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: 2020 vs 2021 Class

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun May 17, 2020 5:15 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:45 pm I assume Etienne was dinged for the same reason that Taylor fell to the 2nd round: lack of confidence in their receiving ability -- which has become more of a focal point for top tier RB prospects in recent years.

Also agree that Rondale Moore is going to cause some Marquise Brown level polarization about how his college game will transfer to the NFL. No one is going to dispute how great he is in college, but not having an NFL comparison is going to hurt a lot of people's confidence in his NFL prospects.
People are going to overthink it. Rondale Moore is perfect for today's NFL and is one of the best players in college football. Went 114/1258/12 as a freshman in the Big 10. Dynamic with the ball in his hands, after the catch, electric route runner...he's an absolute stud.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun May 17, 2020 5:25 pm

With the too short argument on Moore and the too tall argument on Lawrence, how many wide receivers even make it to this level as a sub 5’9” person and how many quarterbacks are over 6’4”? I think there may be an issue of small sample size when assuming that no one has done it that no one can do it.

Tayvon Austin entered the NFL under a coach and offensive coordinator who had had like three or four 1,000 yard receivers in 20+ combined years of coaching/coordinating. Might have been part of the problem. Not sure he was the problem.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Sun May 17, 2020 5:30 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:05 am 2021 could be even better than 2020, although it might not quite have the RB depth.

QB: This might be the best QB draft class ever with
Lawrence, Fields and Lance, plus some other talented guys who could elevate their stock.

RB: The big names right now are all guys who elected to stay in school rather than enter this years draft, led by Etienne with Chuba Hubbard and Najee Harris being other prominent names. Etienne might have been the #1 RB if he cane out this year, and was certainly on the same level as the top 4-5 RBs in this class. There are usually guys that emerge at this position so we could get more names in time.

WR: The 2020 class is being called the beat WR class many have seen, but 2021 could be better. J'Marr Chase would have been the #1 WR on many boards if he had been eligible this year, and there are 6-7 other guys who are or could be in the 1st round conversation.

Rashod Bateman
Devonta Smith
Jaylen Waddle
Rondale Moore
Justyn Ross
Amon-Ra St Brown
Tylan Wallace
Chris Olave

And I feel like I'm missing somebody. Even if they all don't reach 1st round status (which obviously they won't) it's safe to say it looks like another quality WR class.

TE: Already has nowhere to go but up from this year, but looks legitimately good this early.

Kyle Pitts and Brevin Jordan could be 1st rounders and are certainly better prospects than anyone this year.
John Elway, Dan Marino, and Jim Kelly might have something to say about that
4th and long: ppr, 10 team, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, flex, flex, te, k, dl, dl, lb, lb, db, db, dflex, dflex

QB: Kirk Cousins Tyrod Taylor, Jared Goff
RB: Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot, Theo Riddick, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Jamal Williams
WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Cole Beasley, Robby Anderson, Corey Davis, Breshad Perriman, Eli Rogers
TE: Eric Ebron, , David Njoku, Jack Doyle
K: Will Lutz
DL: Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter
LB: Luke Kuechley, Bobby Wagner, Jordan Hicks, Mark Barron, Darron Lee
DB: Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett,

IR: Clayton Geathers, Quincy Enunwa, Raekwon McMillan

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun May 17, 2020 5:38 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:25 pm With the too short argument on Moore and the too tall argument on Lawrence, how many wide receivers even make it to this level as a sub 5’9” person and how many quarterbacks are over 6’4”? I think there may be an issue of small sample size when assuming that no one has done it that no one can do it.

Tayvon Austin entered the NFL under a coach and offensive coordinator who had had like three or four 1,000 yard receivers in 20+ combined years of coaching/coordinating. Might have been part of the problem. Not sure he was the problem.
It was a lot of everything. A coach who had no offensive creativity and Tavon himself simply never developed as a player. He was fast, but oddly enough didn't get open and was raw as a route runner.

I agree with you though. There will be short WRs who bust, but it won't be because they're short. Just like Russell Wilson and Drew Brees broke the mold for shorter QBs, that mold has already been broken for WRs. Short QBs are coming along, but if they fail, it won't be because they needed to be 2-3 inches taller.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sun May 17, 2020 5:52 pm

I have seen people consider Najee, Etienne and Hubbard as the top 3 RBs in this class; but in general, how many RBs do you expect in the first three rounds (generally the cutoff for real opportunity)?
Landing spots to consider:

ATL (doubt Gurley is more than a one year thing)
WSH (if Guice gets hurt again)
TEN (if Henry walks, they probably get a complement for Evans)
PIT
NO (doubt they re-sign Kamara)
JAX (Fournette is gone next year)
ARZ (Drake there on a one year deal)
TB (unless Vaughn really shows out)
SF (lot of decent backs but no true feature one)
SEA (doubt they pay Carson)
NYJ (Gase does not like Le'Veon)
NE (Sony sucks)
MIA (no long term RB on roster)
HOU (depending on how much David Johnson really has left)

Obviously some of these will be filled internally, others by FA that other teams decided to let walk, maybe some by backups from other teams traded for (Hunt) like Drake this year, but RB depth is what defines the strength of a class (I think the WR class in 2021 is equal to 2020), and to decide that, you have to see how many RB of the future-landing spot with opportunity possibility there are (I would say five this past year with Akers-Rams, CEH-Chiefs, Dobbins-Ravens, Taylor-Colts and Swift-Lions with the chance of a sixth in Dillon-Packers and three in 2019 with Jacobs-Raiders, Montgomery-Bears and Sanders-Eagles).

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun May 17, 2020 5:55 pm

Najee won't be a top 3 back by next year IMO. He's going to run a 4.6 at best IMO, and he'll be 23. I think there will be other backs to pass him by this time next year.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sun May 17, 2020 6:04 pm

Kcarr wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:30 pm

I said COULD BE not IS, but it is entirely possible. Lawrence is being regarded by many as the best QB prospect ever, and even if he's not it's clear why he's looked at in that way. Fields really isn't all that far behind him, there are a few who even put him ahead of Lawrence. Lance is still a bit of an unknown due to playing at a lower level, but he just had a historically good year and the type of skillset that is highly coveted in todays NFL. All 3 would be worthy #1 picks and better prospects than the top QBs that have come out in many of the recent drafts.

Comparing them to Elway, Marino and Kelly the HOF QBs may not be fair and we won't know for a while if they can equal that. But compared to Elway, Marino and Kelly the DRAFT PROSPECTS they are in the conversation for sure.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sun May 17, 2020 6:09 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:52 pm I have seen people consider Najee, Etienne and Hubbard as the top 3 RBs in this class; but in general, how many RBs do you expect in the first three rounds (generally the cutoff for real opportunity)?

PIT
NE (Sony sucks)

Obviously some of these will be filled internally, others by FA that other teams decided to let walk, maybe some by backups from other teams traded for (Hunt) like Drake this year, but RB depth is what defines the strength of a class (I think the WR class in 2021 is equal to 2020), and to decide that, you have to see how many RB of the future-landing spot with opportunity possibility there are (I would say five this past year with Akers-Rams, CEH-Chiefs, Dobbins-Ravens, Taylor-Colts and Swift-Lions with the chance of a sixth in Dillon-Packers and three in 2019 with Jacobs-Raiders, Montgomery-Bears and Sanders-Eagles).
I disagree on NO and Kamara. They just gave MT a huge deal, they'll have to figure out their QB soon, and they have CB Latimore and RT Ramcyzk from the same draft class as Kamara due too. Latimore and Ramcyzk play much more valuable and important positions than Kamara, and NO did fine without Kamara in the lineup or at his best for stretches this year. I doubt they give him an extension, and it really wouldn't completely shock me if they traded him sometime during training camp if he starts raising a big deal about his contract.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sun May 17, 2020 6:17 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:09 pm
StripesOfKC wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:52 pm I have seen people consider Najee, Etienne and Hubbard as the top 3 RBs in this class; but in general, how many RBs do you expect in the first three rounds (generally the cutoff for real opportunity)?

PIT
NE (Sony sucks)

I disagree on NO and Kamara. They just gave MT a huge deal, they'll have to figure out their QB soon, and they have CB Latimore and RT Ramcyzk from the same draft class as Kamara due too. Latimore and Ramcyzk play much more valuable and important positions than Kamara, and NO did fine without Kamara in the lineup or at his best for stretches this year. I doubt they give him an extension, and it really wouldn't completely shock me if they traded him sometime during training camp if he starts raising a big deal about his contract.
Yeah, I agree with you. That's why I said I "doubt they re-sign Kamara." It may have come off as doubt that that is a landing spot, but I agree with every word you said

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sun May 17, 2020 6:21 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:17 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:09 pm

PIT
NE (Sony sucks)

Yeah, I agree with you. That's why I said I "doubt they re-sign Kamara." It may have come off as doubt that that is a landing spot, but I agree with every word you said
My bad, read it as "no doubt they re-sign Kamara" lol.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Mon May 18, 2020 8:58 pm

Just finished my C Hubbard tape watching.

Reminds me of Chris Johnson actually
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon May 18, 2020 9:02 pm

DJB wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:58 pm Just finished my C Hubbard tape watching.

Interesting. I think he's got a lot of work to do to be a good NFL back. Can't see him running anywhere close to a 4.24, though.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon May 18, 2020 9:59 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:02 pm
DJB wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:58 pm Just finished my C Hubbard tape watching.

Interesting. I think he's got a lot of work to do to be a good NFL back. Can't see him running anywhere close to a 4.24, though.
Agreed. Don't hate linear runners, but he is awful in pass pro and doesn't have the contact balance needed--a lot of which was covered up by Big 12 defenses. Etienne IMO though he has vision issues could have held his own in this class and been a 2nd round pick and in the tier of the top 5, but Hubbard was going to slip.
A landing spot like Arizona would make him very interesting though: seeing him in an air raid style offense again
Last edited by StripesOfKC on Mon May 18, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby blemly » Mon May 18, 2020 10:00 pm

2020 > 2021 for me pretty easily and, like others have said, RB is the weak link. I do think the 2021 class is very top heavy though and singularly some of the prospects at their respective positions will be better than the best prospect from the 2020 class.

2021 QBs > 2020 QBs: Lawrence is everything you could ask for in a QB at this point in his career imo and the clear SF 1.01 entering this year. I like Fields too, but he's sitting next to Burrow and Tua for me.

2020 RBs >> 2021 RBs: Like I said, top heavy. After Etienne, Hubbard, and Harris we're staring down the barrel of some guys I don't feel great about right now. Borghi is of some interest but he isn't CMC. I actually had Etienne as my No. 2 back overall in the 2020 class behind Taylor when I thought he would declare. He has Tyreek Hill level explosiveness in my opinion. Not a perfect prospect but the upside in the right scheme is tantalizing. That being said, 2020 is deeper and better as a whole.

2020 WRs > 2021 WRs: I say this believing that Chase is the best prospect in either class. The 2020 class wins given the depth. If we want to compare 2019 to 2020 for a minute, guys that are going in the late 2nd/even early 3rd of SF drafts this year would have been going a full round earlier last year. I don't think it can be overstated how deep the 2020 class is. As for 2021s go my number 2 WR is actually Bateman. Freshman year breakout and had target competition during it to boot. He is impressive.

TE. I don't really care.
Team 1: 12-team SF 0.5 PPR:
QB: Dak, Russ, Stafford, Geno, Dalton
RB: Harris, Gibson, Chubb, Cohen
WR: DK, Ridley, Kirk, Chark, Woods, C Samuel, Shepard, Reagor
TE: Fant, Knox
Team 2: 14-team PPR SF TEP:
QB: Wilson, Burrow, Geno, Foles
RB: Mixon, Gibson, Hines, Cohen, Pollard
WR: DJM, Cooper, Sutton, Deebo, R. Moore, ARSB, Eskridge, Renfrow
TE: Gesicki, Njoku, Arnold
Team 3: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Watson, Lawrence, Winston, Cam
RB: Harris, Ekeler, Dobbins
WR: Hill, AJB, Woods, Chark, Lockett
TE: Gesicki, OJH, Firkser
Team 4: 12-team SF TEP Devy
QB: Wilson, Geno, Ryan, Cousins
RB: Zeke, Chubb, Sanders, Pollard, Hines, Cohen, Henderson
WR: Cooper, Godwin, Sutton, JuJu, Samuel, Fuller, Shepard, Campbell
TE: Fant, Gesicki, Ertz, Freiermuth
Devy: Boutte, Young, Slovis, Harris
Team 5: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Dak, Lance, Jones, Cam
RB: Swift, Sanders, Dobbins, Pollard
WR: Sutton, DJM, Golladay, Chase, Pittman, Kirk, Campbell, Mims, Wallace
TE: Herndon, Gesicki, Freiermuth

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue May 19, 2020 5:09 am

Kcarr wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:30 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:05 am QB: This might be the best QB draft class ever with
Patrick Mahomes, DeShaun Watson and Mitchell Tru- oh, wait, sorry... never mind...