New Heights of Rookie Fever

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: New Heights of Rookie Fever

Postby Sriracha » Wed May 13, 2020 8:06 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:49 pm I don’t even think it’s rookie fever, or that these guys are going too high, I just don’t think they can appreciate in value the same way guys have done in previous years. I mean, Derrius Guice and JK Dobbins and Dalvin Cook aren’t prospects of a dramatically different caliber, but Dobbins is going 19th, while Guice and Cook were going 31st and 35th in May 2018/2017.
Is Dobbins actually going 19th now? Last startup I did with rookies was before the draft, where he went 4 picks before Akers late in the 4th round (12 team superflex 6pt TD, TE premium).

I see what you're saying now, but while they're all similar talents Dobbin's landing spot is simply amazing; likely giving people more confidence that he won't bust

Derrius Guice is also a RB I would be targeting in every draft if his ADP is still hovering around the 10th round :thumbup:

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed May 13, 2020 8:24 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:06 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:49 pm I don’t even think it’s rookie fever, or that these guys are going too high, I just don’t think they can appreciate in value the same way guys have done in previous years. I mean, Derrius Guice and JK Dobbins and Dalvin Cook aren’t prospects of a dramatically different caliber, but Dobbins is going 19th, while Guice and Cook were going 31st and 35th in May 2018/2017.
Is Dobbins actually going 19th now? Last startup I did with rookies was before the draft, where he went 4 picks before Akers late in the 4th round (12 team superflex 6pt TD, TE premium).

I see what you're saying now, but while they're all similar talents Dobbin's landing spot is simply amazing; likely giving people more confidence that he won't bust

Derrius Guice is also a RB I would be targeting in every draft if his ADP is still hovering around the 10th round :thumbup:
Even if you think it’s all landing spot, you can replace Dobbins at 19 with Swift at 24 and I don’t think the sentiment changes.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Wed May 13, 2020 9:11 pm

Hard to find data on this given that most rookie ADPs havent leveled out after the draft spike; but the ones Ive found have Dobbins/Akers/Swift going at a more reasonable 37-55 range

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu May 14, 2020 4:10 am

IZigUZag wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:11 pm Hard to find data on this given that most rookie ADPs havent leveled out after the draft spike; but the ones Ive found have Dobbins/Akers/Swift going at a more reasonable 37-55 range
I just took Dobbins at 25 in a startup. Rookie fever, particularly the lure of being the Ravens number one RB, was just too much.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu May 14, 2020 5:07 am

RBs with fresh legs are always more appealing in dynasty, or at least they should be. Once an RB hits age 25-26, you're basically at peak trade value and production. So, not surprised a lot of these RBs are going so high.

BradysBunch
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby BradysBunch » Thu May 14, 2020 5:14 am

It has been interesting for trades. I have always been one to try to trade at peak, or close to peak, value. I have offered up Chubb and Evans in my leagues and here is what has happened.

In my 10 team league that is moving to SF in a year....here are the trades that went down

I traded Chubb for 1.1/M.Brown ( picked CEH )
I then traded Brown for the 2.1 ( Lamb fell to me! )

team A sent AJG/C. Davis/1.6 ( picked swift )
team B sent Bell/1.9 ( picked Vaughn )

team B sent 1.3/R. Anderson ( picked Dobbins )
team C sent 1.7/2.3 ( picked Akers )

1.8 was on the clock ( with juedy and lamb there ) asking for trades. I sent over Evans for Golladay/1.8. rejected with "not close"

same guy offered me ( for my 2.1 with Lamb there ) 2 thirds and 2 fourths?!?!?!? You can't negotiate with stupid I guess.
9(yes 9) team / 28 man rosters
15/17/19/21 Champ
SF/PPR
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/flex/SF
Mahomes/TLAW/Fields
N. Harris/J. Williams/Gibbs/CEH/A. Jones/Hubbard/Haskins/Ingram
Kupp/Jefferson/Chase/Lamb/Hopkins/MT/Watson/Dotson/
Kelce/Hurst

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Thu May 14, 2020 6:56 am

My best offer for Evan Engram was a later first. I like the player options there, but in a tight end premy league I would be really lucky to land a player at that pick with Engram upside.
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Thu May 14, 2020 10:00 am

Drafted more rookies than I ever have in a startup this week.

16 team Superflex league

3.02 - Joe Burrow, QB
3.03 - D'Andre Swift, RB
4.04 - Cam Akers, RB
6.01 - Jalen Reagor, WR
7.03 - Justin Herbert, QB
7.13 - Brandin Aiyuk, WR
9.15 - Bryan Edwards, WR
Team 1 - 12 team PPR
QB: MRyan, MJones, CNewton, RFitz
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, JMixon, AJDillon, LMurray, DarWilliams, GBernard
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson
TE: JSmith, ISmith, ZErtz

Team 2 - 16 team, PPR, SF
QB: JBurrow, CWentz, ZWilson, Jimmy G
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, BSnell, TGurley, DGuice
WR: JChase, BAiyuk, CSutton, THiggins, JJeudy, JReagor, BEdwards
TE: ISmith, HarBryant, DSample, TTremble

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri May 15, 2020 11:57 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:49 pm
IZigUZag wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:18 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:42 pm

For a long time I’ve felt that rookies were consistently undervalued in startups. This time last year, guys like David Johnson and Lev Bell had earlier ADPs than Josh Jacobs and Miles Sanders. Go back to May 2018 and you see Jordan Howard and Devonta Freeman going before Nick Chubb. 2017? LeSean McCoy the pick before Joe Mixon and Jay Ajayi the pick before Dalvin Cook. It always seemed like the most overvalued guy in any startup is the young-ish player who’s never been considered to have superstar potential.

Back to 2020, I’m not sure that’s the case anymore. Veterans I’d be worried about- Aaron Jones, Austin Ekeler, Kenyan Drake, Devin Singletary- are all going after all 5 rookie RBs. Maybe it’s still the case, and these guys will all quickly pass Elliot, Cook, Mixon, Chubb, Jacobs, and Sanders in ADP, it just seems like it’s hard for their values to appreciate significantly from where they are right now.
I walked away from my draft a month ago (pre Draft) with 8 rookies going in the 2nd round or earlier now (and I would've had more if I wasn't sniped a few times):

JT, CEH, Akers, Reagor, Herbert, Aiyuk, Edwards, Gibson

That's incredibly strange for me, as I typically lean Veterans most years in startups.

Is it rookie fever if they're all just really good prospects? :lol:
I don’t even think it’s rookie fever, or that these guys are going too high, I just don’t think they can appreciate in value the same way guys have done in previous years. I mean, Derrius Guice and JK Dobbins and Dalvin Cook aren’t prospects of a dramatically different caliber, but Dobbins is going 19th, while Guice and Cook were going 31st and 35th in May 2018/2017.
Cook ran a garbage 40 which tanked his value. I assume Guice’s draft position was before he blew his ACL in the opener of the preseason.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Fri May 15, 2020 7:44 pm

My only concern with the 2020 class is the lack of actual on-field time with their new teams. While I wholeheartedly agree that we're looking at a very deep crop of rookies, how will the careers of these players unfold when it's likely that their first season in the league will involve little to no offseason work, and could be cut short if Covid-19 infection rates spike during gameplay in the Fall?

Should the league have to cancel/postpone games after the season begins due to infection, we'll be looking at a group of talented players who got very little preparation or game experience, who will then be pushed by the 2021 class when they come into the league. I'm still debating, but wondering if it might not be the best course of action to trade away 2020 picks in order to stockpile future picks which might play out in a more "normal" NFL landscape.

There's a lot of great players to draft this year, but I'm not sure how to gauge the risk of loading up on them versus letting others do so if their careers will be adversely affected by a sickness beyond their control. Just another level of risk assessment for us fantasy players.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri May 15, 2020 8:09 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:44 pm My only concern with the 2020 class is the lack of actual on-field time with their new teams. While I wholeheartedly agree that we're looking at a very deep crop of rookies, how will the careers of these players unfold when it's likely that their first season in the league will involve little to no offseason work, and could be cut short if Covid-19 infection rates spike during gameplay in the Fall?

Should the league have to cancel/postpone games after the season begins due to infection, we'll be looking at a group of talented players who got very little preparation or game experience, who will then be pushed by the 2021 class when they come into the league. I'm still debating, but wondering if it might not be the best course of action to trade away 2020 picks in order to stockpile future picks which might play out in a more "normal" NFL landscape.

There's a lot of great players to draft this year, but I'm not sure how to gauge the risk of loading up on them versus letting others do so if their careers will be adversely affected by a sickness beyond their control. Just another level of risk assessment for us fantasy players.
I think you are overlooking the fact that the 2021 class will be at least as handicapped in their development. The college season and the development of the 2021 class will be affected as much, if not more.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Fri May 15, 2020 8:17 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:44 pm My only concern with the 2020 class is the lack of actual on-field time with their new teams. While I wholeheartedly agree that we're looking at a very deep crop of rookies, how will the careers of these players unfold when it's likely that their first season in the league will involve little to no offseason work, and could be cut short if Covid-19 infection rates spike during gameplay in the Fall?

Not a concern for me. The ability to overcome adversity is one of the defining traits of all successful athletes. If a player can't figure out a way to overcome a little bit of missed practice time, they were never going to make it anyways. These people have been overcoming obstacles their entire life, this is nothing new for them.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri May 15, 2020 9:01 pm

This is dynasty. Don't pass on the talent and depth of this draft class because of the increased chance of low production. With any class, expect low production but hope for the best.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Sat May 16, 2020 1:35 am

ericanadian wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:57 am.
Cook ran a garbage 40 which tanked his value. I assume Guice’s draft position was before he blew his ACL in the opener of the preseason.
Huh...?
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat May 16, 2020 1:44 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:35 am
ericanadian wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:57 am.
Huh...?
Yeah, Dalvin's 40 was sub 4.5. It was the 3 cone, 20 yard shuttle, and vert/broad he did not do well at. 3 cone is great for sinking guys who sink their hips really well, so to speak, which Dalvin doesn't. Heard Matt Waldman use a mathematical term for Dalvin which is bang on. Curvilinear Motion. It's motion that occurs when a particle travels along a curved path. He excels at that. That's why you see him on a football field looking like he is an elite athlete without testing as one. The 3 cone measure a very specific type of agility, which he lacks, same with the 20 yard shuttle. He does not use those movements, typically, as a football player. Dalvin excels at switching direction subtly at very high speeds, along a curve path, not at hard angles as the combine tests.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick