Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Official/Final 2020 Rookie RB Ranks

Postby Sriracha » Fri May 08, 2020 9:08 pm

cantguardjake wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:56 pm
IZigUZag wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:48 pm
cantguardjake wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:19 pm

Pretty much exactly this. I’m not a Ruggs fan (also in my post history) so it’s was Akers v Aiyuk (who I have been a fan of for a while). If my team was WR needy I would have gone Aiyuk, but RB was the need in this instance.

I liked the prospect of Akers / Claypool, Edwards tier WR over Aiyuk / Vaughn (who I think is a total bust), Moss (RB2 ceiling) just based on team needs.
This is why I dont understand all of the Akers hate. He carries the biggest bust risk of the top 5, but his explosion and “x-factor” as you put it wouldve made him my 1.01 if he came out in 2019.

I dont understand how you can hate Akers as a prospect just because he’s not as safe as the top RBs this year if you loved Sanders (who I did).

The hate on him is a bit irrational
Because I didn’t see any flaws in Sanders game (outside of fumbling, but even that was overstated) and happily spent pick 3 on him. I wouldn’t spend pick 3 on Akers, even in last years class - but will take the risk based on his upside at 8 over Ruggs, Aiyuk et all who are equally as risky if RB is a need.

Sanders was just a far and away better prospect in my opinion, so it’s not really irrational.
I see. Personally I find Akers and Sanders to have very similar issues; In Sanders tape last year, you noticed a lot of vision issues, and a lack of spatial awareness where he'd run into defenders he didn't see as he was trying to make moves in the open field. But given his lack of playing time (only started 1 year) I felt that his vision would see a bigger jump than most rookie RBs as he gained more experience; and his athleticism would allow himself to get into the open field more often than a less explosive/agile RB would be able to.

There's something that people underestimate among a lot of NFL prospects-- better athletes can still succeed despite not being perfect. David Montgomery for instance is one of the most refined RB's in the entire NFL.. but he has to be because he's such a poor athlete (compared to other NFL RBs). Akers similarly will be pushed down by people that over-emphasize "skill" and underestimate how impactful raw athleticism is at the RB position.

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Fri May 08, 2020 9:23 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:08 pm
cantguardjake wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:56 pm
IZigUZag wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:48 pm

This is why I dont understand all of the Akers hate. He carries the biggest bust risk of the top 5, but his explosion and “x-factor” as you put it wouldve made him my 1.01 if he came out in 2019.

I dont understand how you can hate Akers as a prospect just because he’s not as safe as the top RBs this year if you loved Sanders (who I did).

The hate on him is a bit irrational
Because I didn’t see any flaws in Sanders game (outside of fumbling, but even that was overstated) and happily spent pick 3 on him. I wouldn’t spend pick 3 on Akers, even in last years class - but will take the risk based on his upside at 8 over Ruggs, Aiyuk et all who are equally as risky if RB is a need.

Sanders was just a far and away better prospect in my opinion, so it’s not really irrational.
I see. Personally I find Akers and Sanders to have very similar issues; In Sanders tape last year, you noticed a lot of vision issues, and a lack of spatial awareness where he'd run into defenders he didn't see as he was trying to make moves in the open field. But given his lack of playing time (only started 1 year) I felt that his vision would see a bigger jump than most rookie RBs as he gained more experience; and his athleticism would allow himself to get into the open field more often than a less explosive/agile RB would be able to.

There's something that people underestimate among a lot of NFL prospects-- better athletes can still succeed despite not being perfect. David Montgomery for instance is one of the most refined RB's in the entire NFL.. but he has to be because he's such a poor athlete (compared to other NFL RBs). Akers similarly will be pushed down by people that over-emphasize "skill" and underestimate how impactful raw athleticism is at the RB position.
See I don’t think Sanders has vision issues. He took a little while to get going but over the last half of the season he was going at 5+ a carry, and I never saw vision issues in college.

Wheres I don’t think Mont is necessarily that refined, he’s ok but I wouldn’t call him even close to the most refined runner in the NFL.

gabes1919
Rookie
Rookie

Postby gabes1919 » Sat May 09, 2020 6:24 pm

dlf_mikeh wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:31 am AJ Dillon - My favorite pick. There's more value here than with any of those guys listed above. His RB comparison is a ridiculous list of who's who. If he became a player on a level with the guys above, I wouldn't be shocked. If you're sitting at 1.10 and you need a RB, go ahead and pull the trigger.
Are you able to give a little more incite here? I saw your ranking and was curious to see the man. Dillons best game statistically this year was against NC state and after watching that, I cringe to watch more. Dillon looked to have decent vision, speed and footwork but holy hell, it seems like he gets breathed on the wrong way and he’s down. Am I crazy? It seemed to me that he was playing (at least in that game) very small for his size.
12 Team SF PPR
Start: QRRWWWTFFS
QB: Jackson, Garoppolo, Herbert, Griffin III, Taylor, Mullens
RB: Chubb, Kamara, Washington, Swift
WR: Godwin, Lockett, Boyd, Metcalf, T.Williams, Pascal, Stills, A.Tate, Jeudy
TE: Waller, Griffin, Ebron, Herndon
2021 Picks: 3 1sts, 2 2nds, 3rd, 4th

12 Team SF PPR
Start: QRRWWWTFFS
QB: Wilson, Brissett, Fitzpatrick, Herbert, Tagovailoa, Rivers, Mariota, PJ.Walker
RB: Gurley, Dobbins, Edwards, Hines, Du.Johnson, J.Williams
WR: Thomas, C.Ridley, Boyd, T.Higgins, Pittman, R.Higgins, Pascal, C.Phillips, D.Williams
TE: Higbee, Eifert
2020 done
2021 Picks: 2 1sts, 2 2nds, 4th

14 Team SF PPR
Start: QRRWWWTFFFS
QB: Wilson, Fitzpatrick, Tayor, Griffin III, PJ.Walker
RB: Chubb, Mixon, Ekeler, D.Montgomery, Drake, Burkhead, Collins
WR: Smith-Schuster, Metcalf, Renfrow, Aghelor, Gordon, D.Williams, Taylor, C.Phillips
TE: Higbee, Eifert
No 2020/2021 picks

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat May 09, 2020 7:15 pm

gabes1919 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:24 pm
dlf_mikeh wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:31 am AJ Dillon - My favorite pick. There's more value here than with any of those guys listed above. His RB comparison is a ridiculous list of who's who. If he became a player on a level with the guys above, I wouldn't be shocked. If you're sitting at 1.10 and you need a RB, go ahead and pull the trigger.
Are you able to give a little more incite here? I saw your ranking and was curious to see the man. Dillons best game statistically this year was against NC state and after watching that, I cringe to watch more. Dillon looked to have decent vision, speed and footwork but holy hell, it seems like he gets breathed on the wrong way and he’s down. Am I crazy? It seemed to me that he was playing (at least in that game) very small for his size.
He runs with a high pad level and lets the tackler get into him a lot. I suppose some of that is just being that tall, but I suspect he can improve upon it. He also doesn’t have elite balance like Taylor, so seems to get knocked off his feet by those tacklers. That said, he moves really well for a big man. I liked his tape against Clemson and he was decent against Notre Dame.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sun May 10, 2020 11:07 am

gabes1919 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:24 pm
ericanadian gave a great response. His film is great for a big man and his combine numbers support the film.

This is an exert from my article on him:
He’s powerful through the line and fast in open space. He doesn’t have the quickest moves to make room at the line of scrimmage, but he does have some nifty footwork to elude defenders at the second level. You’ll find Dillon run both zone and power in the system at Boston College, and he was able to stay in and block when asked.
He's a more-polished prospect than most RBs coming out of college with potential physical upside, and his comps are the best of any RB I've ever scouted. He has a high floor. Tons of question marks push him to the 2nd round. If you need RB and can't afford one of those top guys, AJ Dillon is a great backup plan.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun May 10, 2020 11:30 am

Dillon is built to be an early down, volume back. The only issue for me (aside from the obvious receiving flaws), and I said this in another thread is do the Packers know that?

You look at Derrick Henry (similar type of runner) and the Titans had him in a low volume committee role for a few years, then didn't want to feed him the year after. It took essentially three years for the Titans to realize that they need to give him the ball a ton to get the most out of him. Also, it feels like they started calling better plays for him instead of running everything right up the middle.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun May 10, 2020 11:36 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:30 am Dillon is built to be an early down, volume back. The only issue for me (aside from the obvious receiving flaws), and I said this in another thread is do the Packers know that?

You look at Derrick Henry (similar type of runner) and the Titans had him in a low volume committee role for a few years, then didn't want to feed him the year after. It took essentially three years for the Titans to realize that they need to give him the ball a ton to get the most out of him. Also, it feels like they started calling better plays for him instead of running everything right up the middle.
I'd say they do, considering they spent a 2nd round pick on him, with AJ in a contract year.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Hjorimir
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Hjorimir » Sun May 10, 2020 1:41 pm

I'll add that Matt LeFleur was the OC in Tennessee before landing the head coaching gig in GB. So, yeah, I think he's aware. In fact, I think he's trying to replicate the recipe for recent success that Tennessee enjoyed last year.
The Great Old Ones
10-team PPR (1-QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, 1-TE, 1-D/ST, 1-K)
QB: Dak, Tua, Mac, Mills (bleh)
RB: Gordon, Drake, Perine, RoJo II, Dillon, Coleman, Sermon, Ingram, Mitchell, Barber, JJ, Bolden
WR: Kupp, DJM, Chase, Jeudy, AJG, OBJ, Shepard, Mecole, Parris, Osborn
TE: Knox, Engram,
D/ST: NE
K: Zuerlein

The Blues Brothers
10-team PPR (1-QB, 1-RB, 2-WR, 1-TE, 2-RB/WR/TE, 3-IDP, 1-K)
QB: Dak, Herbert, Hurts, Bridgewater, Winston, Wentz, Heinicke
RB: Zeke, Cook, Mixon, Moss/Singletary, McKinnon, Gio, Rhamondre, Evans, Roundtree
WR: Kupp, Adams, Nuk, Evans, Ruggs III, Sammy, Guyton, Palmer
TE: Logan, Henry, Engram, Cook, Tremble
IDP: Demario, Bush, Mosley, Jewell, Poyer, Derwin, Vander Esch

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sun May 10, 2020 1:55 pm

Hjorimir wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:41 pm I'll add that Matt LeFleur was the OC in Tennessee before landing the head coaching gig in GB. So, yeah, I think he's aware. In fact, I think he's trying to replicate the recipe for recent success that Tennessee enjoyed last year.
LaFleur is from the McVay/Shanahan coaching tree. I doubt he's trying to replicate anything that happened in TEN given how piss poor that offense was; more likely trying to imitate SF's success.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun May 10, 2020 2:22 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:55 pm
Hjorimir wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:41 pm I'll add that Matt LeFleur was the OC in Tennessee before landing the head coaching gig in GB. So, yeah, I think he's aware. In fact, I think he's trying to replicate the recipe for recent success that Tennessee enjoyed last year.
LaFleur is from the McVay/Shanahan coaching tree. I doubt he's trying to replicate anything that happened in TEN given how piss poor that offense was; more likely trying to imitate SF's success.
Well I don't think Dillon fits that at all.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sun May 10, 2020 2:31 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:22 pm
Well I don't think Dillon fits that at all.
I was talking more about his balanced distribution of Run/Pass. He wants multiple RB's to grind it out. How he gets from point A to point B is different (Shanahan relying on free agency to collect explosive RBs, for instance); but that's the logic.

LaFleur is also not even close to the level of McVay and Shanahan as far as OC's go, so I fully expect this to implode at some point (probably after Aaron is traded or something).

Hjorimir
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Hjorimir » Sun May 10, 2020 3:40 pm

Time will tell.
The Great Old Ones
10-team PPR (1-QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, 1-TE, 1-D/ST, 1-K)
QB: Dak, Tua, Mac, Mills (bleh)
RB: Gordon, Drake, Perine, RoJo II, Dillon, Coleman, Sermon, Ingram, Mitchell, Barber, JJ, Bolden
WR: Kupp, DJM, Chase, Jeudy, AJG, OBJ, Shepard, Mecole, Parris, Osborn
TE: Knox, Engram,
D/ST: NE
K: Zuerlein

The Blues Brothers
10-team PPR (1-QB, 1-RB, 2-WR, 1-TE, 2-RB/WR/TE, 3-IDP, 1-K)
QB: Dak, Herbert, Hurts, Bridgewater, Winston, Wentz, Heinicke
RB: Zeke, Cook, Mixon, Moss/Singletary, McKinnon, Gio, Rhamondre, Evans, Roundtree
WR: Kupp, Adams, Nuk, Evans, Ruggs III, Sammy, Guyton, Palmer
TE: Logan, Henry, Engram, Cook, Tremble
IDP: Demario, Bush, Mosley, Jewell, Poyer, Derwin, Vander Esch

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun May 10, 2020 4:58 pm

I think LaFleur blames that mostly on Mariota given that the offense picked it up a fair bit once he was benched.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Sun May 10, 2020 8:43 pm

:lol:

Shankopotamus
Starter
Starter

Postby Shankopotamus » Mon May 11, 2020 3:19 pm

Akers has a Royce Freeman feel to me. Better talent, and more explosive certainly, but feel like he's fool's gold.
12 Team Super-Flex TEP Dynasty
22 CHAMP :dance:
(2019 & 2020 Runner-Up) :wall:

1 QB, 3 RB, 4 WR, Flex, SF, 2 TE

3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB, 1 Flex IDP

QB- Justin Herbert, Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota, Gardner Minshew, Sam Ehlinger
RB- D’Andre Swift, Nick Chubb, Javonte Williams, Cam Akers, Kyren Williams, Jerome Ford, D’Ernest Johnson, Darrell Henderson
WR- DK Metcalf, DJ Moore, Chris Godwin, Jameson Williams, Gabe Davis, Hollywood Brown, Josh Reynolds, Calvin Austin, Laviska Shenault, Kyle Phillips
TE-Mark Andrews, Greg Dulcich, Isaiah Likely, Donald Parham, Tyler Conklin
DL-Danielle Hunter, Nick Bosa, Deforest Buckner, Jonathon Allen
LB- Micah Parsons, Jack Sanborn, Logan Wilson, Cole Holcomb, Nakobe Dean, Brian Asamoah
DB-Jeremy Chinn, Jalen Pitre, Jalen Thompson, Kam Curl, Darrick Forrest
K-Tyler Bass