The Red Rifle Thread: Dalton Short Leash in Chicago

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Dalton, is there a good fit for him next year

Postby Paul717 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:39 am

Here's an interesting article that this thread reminded me of: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/10/3 ... itmus-test

In the right system, with the right pieces around him; he has shown he can succeed. Then again, how many teams with all those things in place need a QB, typically?
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Xavier Hutchinson
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: All my picks except 3rd rounder

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:43 am

The truth is he needs to do what Tannehill did. Sign up to be a back up behind a shaky Qb with a tenuous grip on the job then hope that QB plays bad so you get your shot again. Tampa Bay for instance.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:52 pm

Broncos aren't a good fit but I wouldn't out it last Elway

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:59 pm

I think the Alouettes could use him.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:38 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:00 am viewtopic.php?f=5&t=193106&p=1764346#p1764346

We barely need 1 Andy Dalton thread, we certainly don't need 2.
The dalton line is 1.5 dalton threads

Guess he is elite.
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:24 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:59 pm I think the Alouettes could use him.
As an Alouettes fan I think Vernon Adams is actually doing alright - when he is on the field.

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/foot ... n-adams-jr
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Kaz
Captain
Captain

Re: Andy Dalton

Postby Kaz » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:11 pm

I don't think Dalton is as bad as everyone is making him out to be. He's basically playing behind a high school offensive line. I could see the Bears making some sense for him.
QB: Brees, Ryan
RB: J.Taylor, K.Hunt, R.Jones, Dillon, McKinnon
WR: D.Adams, T.Hill, A.Rob, Lockett, Anderson, P.Campbell, C.Samuel
TE: Kittle, Olsen, D.Sample
DL: Ngakoue, E.Griffen, J.Sweat, Bowser
LB: Mosley, D.Jones, Warner, Treviathan, R. Evans, Okereke, M.Harrison
DB: J.Johnson, T.Mathieu, T.Walker, J.Jones, X.Woods

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:29 pm

Kaz wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:11 pm I don't think Dalton is as bad as everyone is making him out to be. He's basically playing behind a high school offensive line. I could see the Bears making some sense for him.
He's not bad necessarily... But useless in 1QB for sure. Doesn't instill much confidence for me to go get him in SF/2QB either

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:36 pm

Kaz wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:11 pm I don't think Dalton is as bad as everyone is making him out to be. He's basically playing behind a high school offensive line. I could see the Bears making some sense for him.
Andy Dalton is like working a dead-end 9-5 job:

You're probably making enough money to take care of yourself, but you're not going anywhere or doing anything interesting. You're just stuck...in the middle.

No QB personifies league average more than Dalton:

62.2 Career Completion
7.1 yards/att
88.0 Career passer rating
Almost 200 career TD's
112 career interceptions

He's clearly a starting QB, you may even make the playoffs with him...but he's just there. You'll always feel like you can do better, but you'll always have the tendency to settle too.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:25 pm

Bengals fans continue to love him, his charity has been blowing up with $14 donations.

I could see him ending up as a starter next year. He's not a gamebreaker but there are several current starters he is better than.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:28 pm

Not to mention such a classic nickname!

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:13 am

Exactly.

He just got dropped in my main league.

I'll be dropping rosen for him next week
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:28 am

He's a serviceable NFL starter as well as in Superflex. But if an NFL organization WANTS him, they are a defeatist organization who essentially accepts mediocrity.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:36 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:28 am He's a serviceable NFL starter as well as in Superflex. But if an NFL organization WANTS him, they are a defeatist organization who essentially accepts mediocrity.
If a team wants him as a long term solution then they are accepting mediocrity. But he could win a Super Bowl on a team like the Bears who are in win now mode. Sign Dalton and shore up that offensive line and the Bears are infinitely better.

Dalton is like the bulk of NFL QBs in that he can't raise his team and teammates to new heights, but he is a more than capable player at this level.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:02 am

jenkins.math wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:36 am
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:28 am He's a serviceable NFL starter as well as in Superflex. But if an NFL organization WANTS him, they are a defeatist organization who essentially accepts mediocrity.
If a team wants him as a long term solution then they are accepting mediocrity. But he could win a Super Bowl on a team like the Bears who are in win now mode. Sign Dalton and shore up that offensive line and the Bears are infinitely better.

Dalton is like the bulk of NFL QBs in that he can't raise his team and teammates to new heights, but he is a more than capable player at this level.
I concur with this - and add in that QBs tend to be in their prime in their 30s in the new NFL - not saying Dalton is going to be better but rather he's at an age where his physical, mental & emotional intelligence are at a peak. He'll learn playbooks faster than rookies, read defences easier & have the experience to not make (as many) dumb plays. So for a team that feels they just need a 'game manager' to help them across the finish line - sort of like what Jacksonville wanted from Bortles in 2018 & Foles in 2019 - Dalton may be a reasonable option.

At worst he plays like Flacco, and that helps you get the early pick in the next draft. ;)