fantasy impact of coronavirus

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: fantasy impact of coronavirus

Postby Csl312 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:58 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:49 pm Heard the NFLPA told agents to talk to their players to take precautions. There was also a mention of individual players opting not to play, out of concern for their personal safety. Apparently, that's been a thing in the NBA .

Could this be a thing taking players out for the whole (maybe abbreviated) season?
I think it certainly could. Most likely that would be players who have already had a decent payday. Which really sucks that the guys who haven't made enough yet are going to have to decide if they want to take an additional risk for the money. In fantasy terms maybe that opens up opportunities for young players they may not have had previously and speeds their development.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:12 am

Looks like no supplemental draft. I guess that's one good thing for fantasy
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:14 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:49 pm Heard the NFLPA told agents to talk to their players to take precautions. There was also a mention of individual players opting not to play, out of concern for their personal safety. Apparently, that's been a thing in the NBA .

Could this be a thing taking players out for the whole (maybe abbreviated) season?
Heard Ryan Clark, I believe it was, saying they should play a shortened season. I believe so, too. Start later, allow the USA to hopefully come to it's senses and get the spread slowed down, and then start in Oct/Nov. That would be what I would like to see. The idea of having fans is still in their plans, asking people to sign waivers. That is bewildering to me, I feel like the greed of the NFL is pretty apparent with ideas like this. Be prepared for more changes.
Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 7.17.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 7.17.48 AM.png (142.96 KiB) Viewed 828 times
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:54 pm

Another clear set back. No preseason. If football starts on time, it will be very sloppy. Really skeptical they start on time. Baseball players, like Trout are sounding very skeptical the restart will happen. The current situation in the USA, and the ignorance of so many people, it really does look bleak right now.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nflpa-votes-to ... 020-season

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:41 pm

No rookie camp & no preseason ought to set up a nice buying opportunity in 2021 for these 2020 rookie WRs.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:20 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:41 pm No rookie camp & no preseason ought to set up a nice buying opportunity in 2021 for these 2020 rookie WRs.
I am really looking at the possible reality of no season, and how it will affect everyone. 2021 class could be hisorically bad, with the very real probability of no season. No football, many guys will return another year, and the ones that don't will be entering the NFL on a year and a half layoff, learning a new system and adapting to the pros, whereas the 2020 class will have had a year and a half on their pro team to adapt, learn the system, get acclimated, season or not in the NFL.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:23 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:20 am
Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:41 pm No rookie camp & no preseason ought to set up a nice buying opportunity in 2021 for these 2020 rookie WRs.
I am really looking at the possible reality of no season, and how it will affect everyone. 2021 class could be hisorically bad, with the very real probability of no season. No football, many guys will return another year, and the ones that don't will be entering the NFL on a year and a half layoff, learning a new system and adapting to the pros, whereas the 2020 class will have had a year and a half on their pro team to adapt, learn the system, get acclimated, season or not in the NFL.
If there's no season, that'll be the end of my dynasty journey. Hopefully that isn't the case.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:32 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:20 am
I am really looking at the possible reality of no season
Maybe it’s a coping mechanism but I’ll take it a step further and say that I am expecting no season. For this reason I’m not too upset that I don’t own a 2021 firsty at the moment. Because of this very real possibility, I think I’m gonna ding the value of a few 30+ year olds and the dudes who can’t seem to keep there nose clean. I’m looking at you Kareem Hunt.

Shankopotamus
Starter
Starter

Postby Shankopotamus » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:44 am

There's not going to be a season guys. There's too much toothpaste out of the tube at this point unless a vaccine is approved by October.
12 Team Super-Flex TEP Dynasty
22 CHAMP :dance:
(2019 & 2020 Runner-Up) :wall:

1 QB, 3 RB, 4 WR, Flex, SF, 2 TE

3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB, 1 Flex IDP

QB- Justin Herbert, Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota, Gardner Minshew, Sam Ehlinger
RB- D’Andre Swift, Nick Chubb, Javonte Williams, Cam Akers, Kyren Williams, Jerome Ford, D’Ernest Johnson, Darrell Henderson
WR- DK Metcalf, DJ Moore, Chris Godwin, Jameson Williams, Gabe Davis, Hollywood Brown, Josh Reynolds, Calvin Austin, Laviska Shenault, Kyle Phillips
TE-Mark Andrews, Greg Dulcich, Isaiah Likely, Donald Parham, Tyler Conklin
DL-Danielle Hunter, Nick Bosa, Deforest Buckner, Jonathon Allen
LB- Micah Parsons, Jack Sanborn, Logan Wilson, Cole Holcomb, Nakobe Dean, Brian Asamoah
DB-Jeremy Chinn, Jalen Pitre, Jalen Thompson, Kam Curl, Darrick Forrest
K-Tyler Bass

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:13 am

Shankopotamus wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:44 am There's not going to be a season guys. There's too much toothpaste out of the tube at this point unless a vaccine is approved by October.
Too bad, if that is the case. Europe got it together. Soccer is finishing. I really hope you are wrong. I was hoping for a delayed start to the year, and that after this spike American's would take this more seriously, but COVID parties, 4th of July fireworks with no masks etc etc. You can't fix stupid, as the saying goes.

esloan35
All Pro
All Pro

Postby esloan35 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:37 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:13 am
Shankopotamus wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:44 am There's not going to be a season guys. There's too much toothpaste out of the tube at this point unless a vaccine is approved by October.
Too bad, if that is the case. Europe got it together. Soccer is finishing. I really hope you are wrong. I was hoping for a delayed start to the year, and that after this spike American's would take this more seriously, but COVID parties, 4th of July fireworks with no masks etc etc. You can't fix stupid, as the saying goes.
Yep, its full blown community spread and Trump, with his crazy supporters got their way and we are in natural selection. We are an impatient society and it's sad. Once the the positives outnumber the negatives we may see a late start still. It will be more the USFL than NFL, but hopeful for 2021. Stay safe all!

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:07 pm

Another reminder: Most of the owners in the league are Trump supporters/friends/allies.

Given his stance on the virus, it's going to be pretty surprising if they don't push forward with a season. Whether it finishes or not is a different story.

I'm sure players are dreading playing games in Texas and Florida in a few months.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:19 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:07 pm
Another reminder: Most of the owners in the league are Trump supporters/friends/allies.

Given his stance on the virus, it's going to be pretty surprising if they don't push forward with a season. Whether it finishes or not is a different story.

I'm sure players are dreading playing games in Texas and Florida in a few months.
They're trump supporters because he benefits their bottom line; not because they're idiots. Considering they're mostly all old white men who are high risk factors they might be more concerned with COVID than they typically would be given the financial motivations of the decision.
Of course, they won't be given the option if things continue forward on this trend -- Hospitals are nearing their breaking point already... once there's more people who need to be in the ICU than there are spots death rates are going to skyrocket.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:00 pm

Yeah, I'm inclined to believe this myself. There's too many people not taking it seriously. It's been almost entirely eradicated and has been for months where I live. Everyone wears a mask. I went to Walmart for the first time in 2 years, and I was absolutely shocked and proud to see 95% of everyone wearing a mask too.

But my part of the country isn't like others. We're seeing record numbers for several days in a row. All it takes is for one player to contract it just prior to kickoff and the game is cancelled. OR.. players just won't play for their own safety.

I've always thought that the season would happen. I figured eventually people would wear masks. I thought for sure the President would wear one since his entire election depends on it. Could you imagine his numbers of Covid disappeared? He'd win re-election in a landslide. I figured he would realize that and wear it by now, and everyone would follow suit. But no, and here we are.

I don't think the season will happen.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:31 pm

dlf_mikeh wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:00 pm
Yeah, I'm inclined to believe this myself. There's too many people not taking it seriously. It's been almost entirely eradicated and has been for months where I live. Everyone wears a mask. I went to Walmart for the first time in 2 years, and I was absolutely shocked and proud to see 95% of everyone wearing a mask too.

But my part of the country isn't like others. We're seeing record numbers for several days in a row. All it takes is for one player to contract it just prior to kickoff and the game is cancelled. OR.. players just won't play for their own safety.

I've always thought that the season would happen. I figured eventually people would wear masks. I thought for sure the President would wear one since his entire election depends on it. Could you imagine his numbers of Covid disappeared? He'd win re-election in a landslide. I figured he would realize that and wear it by now, and everyone would follow suit. But no, and here we are.

I don't think the season will happen.
I agree. It's unfortunate that it has become a political crisis instead of a public health one. Even with governordls, for every Republican one that mandates masks (see Texas) there is one that insists on not having them (see South Dakota). Furthermore most people don't seem to understand that Trump doesn't wear a mask because everyone that he interacts with is tested for covid19 in advance. Real easy to not need to wear a mask when you have access to as many tests as you need.

I talked about this in the previous thread that was locked but I agree, there is no way that we would have a NFL season unless either testing goes dramatically up, people take it a lot more seriously (imagine if everyone in the US social distanced and wore masks since mid March we wouldn't be seeing the spikes we are seeing now and would be much further along our reopening), or a breakthrough in vaccine/treatment.

Unlike basketball or MMA, it's a lot harder to isolate the near 70 players and coaches on each NFL team and play I'm a bubble.

I think the NFL will watch MLB very carefully and see how they do.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07