fantasy impact of coronavirus

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: fantasy impact of coronavirus

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:02 pm

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29441083

Donovan Smith, starting LT for TB sounds like he's considering not playing.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:18 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:19 am
abloom wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:10 am I think Richard Sherman summed it up nicely:

"This is a perfect example of NFL thinking in a nutshell. Players can go engage in a full contact game and do it safely. However, it is deemed unsafe for them to exchange jerseys after said game."

If enough players feel this way, I doubt there will be an NFL season unless the situation drastically changes.
Interested to see if some players will skip the season.

Football may be the worst sport to play during a pandemic. Players touching, breathing, tackling each other, and then sharing a locker room after is surely going to be problematic.

Someone called this "putting on a condom after sex" and I couldn't agree more.
As I've said, there is still a lot of time before football, but I'm going to guess there will be plenty of players sitting out if nothing changes and football does have a season. More over it's likely going to be the players that already have some money, ie good vets.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:46 pm

abloom wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:18 pm As I've said, there is still a lot of time before football, but I'm going to guess there will be plenty of players sitting out if nothing changes and football does have a season. More over it's likely going to be the players that already have some money, ie good vets.
Definitely. I under the decision to play. Players don't have much leverage with non-guaranteed contracts. Someone could sit out a year, get cut, and ruin their FA market.

I just think this can get bad in a hurry. Studies are showing that most of the spread is coming from presymptomatic cases. Presymptomatic cases don't always show up as positive in COVID-19 tests right away. So a player could have it, pass the test on game day, and spread it to teammates and opposing players the day of.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:33 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:02 pm https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29441083

Donovan Smith, starting LT for TB sounds like he's considering not playing.
From the end of the article:

Nate Solder, the player rep for the New York Giants, also questioned the risk of playing, saying in a tweet: "If the NFL doesn't do their part to keep players healthy there is no football in 2020. It's that simple."
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:57 pm

The dominoes are starting to fall. I expect it to get progressively worse from here. The idea of a season is really looking unlikely. I'm not surprised, the players and coaches like McVay, Arians etc who have spoken up, are right.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/ ... l-behavior

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:42 pm

Guys, what's your thoughts on this scenario? Week 3 ... 3 games are canceled due to COVID positive players. NFL decides to schedule a supplemental extra week? What is NFL has to set up multiple supplemental weeks?

Do you just ignore those games? Do you retroactively apply those player points to the weeks the games should have occurred? ... Definitely not if the fantasy playoffs would have likely concluded, but what if NFL schedules the make-up weeks during the middle of the season?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:12 pm

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:42 pm Guys, what's your thoughts on this scenario? Week 3 ... 3 games are canceled due to COVID positive players. NFL decides to schedule a supplemental extra week? What is NFL has to set up multiple supplemental weeks?

Do you just ignore those games? Do you retroactively apply those player points to the weeks the games should have occurred? ... Definitely not if the fantasy playoffs would have likely concluded, but what if NFL schedules the make-up weeks during the middle of the season?
No idea. It would make a giant mess of things, no doubt. It would mess everything up because it would affect playoffs etc. Might have to abandon FF playoffs and do all play record to crown champ, using the make up games for the original week to decide the outcome of those matches later. Either that, or you scrap that entire weeks match ups and say nobody gets a W or a L. If multiple games a week are getting cancelled, I think they'd probably shut things down at that point, anyway, though.

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:14 am

There's been talk of a spring college football season. As unlikely as that might be, one has to imagine it'd really mess with the 2021 draft

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:18 am

Blueboy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:14 am There's been talk of a spring college football season. As unlikely as that might be, one has to imagine it'd really mess with the 2021 draft
It will mess with the timing, but I don't think it will really mess with there being one. We had the draft at the end of April, what if it just gets pushed to mid-late june.

R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,

Team #4 3rd

Team #5 4th

Team #6 orphan

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:21 am

abloom wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:18 am
Blueboy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:14 am There's been talk of a spring college football season. As unlikely as that might be, one has to imagine it'd really mess with the 2021 draft
It will mess with the timing, but I don't think it will really mess with there being one. We had the draft at the end of April, what if it just gets pushed to mid-late june.
It would really affect the 2021 class negatively. A lot of games within a calendar year. Close to 30, for these kids, would be really bad for them. That, plus the combine etc. Would be really hard for a lot of them. I could see some players pulling out half way through the college season if that happens. They would be way more likely to suffer injury, and have a "rookie wall".

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:26 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:21 am
It would really affect the 2021 class negatively. A lot of games within a calendar year. Close to 30, for these kids, would be really bad for them. That, plus the combine etc. Would be really hard for a lot of them. I could see some players pulling out half way through the college season if that happens. They would be way more likely to suffer injury, and have a "rookie wall".
Yeah, that was my thought. Coming so quickly off playing a full college season would allow very little time for recovery (would it even be possible to follow that up with a Fall college season without massive injury risk?)

The NCAA is going to do everything in their power to avoid outright cancelling a 2020 season, just like the NFL is, but I'm having trouble picturing a realistic way of that playing out. And it seems like both a cancellation and a spring season would really hurt the 21 class, in terms of dynasty impact

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:36 am

Blueboy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:26 am

Yeah, that was my thought. Coming so quickly off playing a full college season would allow very little time for recovery (would it even be possible to follow that up with a Fall college season without massive injury risk?)

The NCAA is going to do everything in their power to avoid outright cancelling a 2020 season, just like the NFL is, but I'm having trouble picturing a realistic way of that playing out. And it seems like both a cancellation and a spring season would really hurt the 21 class, in terms of dynasty impact
Also, somebody suffering an ACL tear in September would be O for their rookie year, most likely, somebody suffering on in January/February, it would probably affect their entire rookie year.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:08 pm

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:12 pm

Fair enough. But I think it has a greater impact on NCAA than it does in the NFL. Fantasy wise I think it increases the value of later rounds picks. The dart throws may have a slightly better chance of hitting since better talent may fall.

Interesting. If it is actually able to prevent transmission of dropplets without affecting breathing that would be huge. Definitely good that both NFL and NFLPA representative engineers worked on it too. A little glimmer of hope.

Team #4 3rd

Team #5 4th

Team #6 orphan

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:20 pm

Some teams are supposed to report to camp Saturday and the NFL doesn't even have procedures in place.

Go ahead and risk your life and the lives of your loved ones though.