How Does 6pt TD/-4pt INT Scoring Affect the Value of QBs?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Killabrewster
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

How Does 6pt TD/-4pt INT Scoring Affect the Value of QBs?

Postby Killabrewster » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:55 am

I've been trying to find discussion on this somewhere for a while now and haven't had any luck, so figured I'd finally pose the question to the folks here. In a 1QB dynasty league, how much does 6 pt TD, -4 pt INT scoring for QBs affect the overall value of the position? The obvious first answer is that it reduces the value of dual-threat QBs since running TD's are no longer more valuable than passing TDs, but how much overall value does it add to the top-tier QBs of the world?

One of my leagues has this scoring (Team 2) and is very active with trades, and throughout the course of the league (entering year 4), we still have people valuing QBs vastly different -- some take QBs in the first round, others never bother, and some have gotten significant draft capital in trades for established QBs. The most recent example, in fact, was a straight swap of Mahomes for Pick 1.02 this year, which resulted in some people losing their minds calling for a commissioner veto due to possible collusion.

I tend to think that everyone in the league overstates the affect of the 6/4 scoring, but at some point, I will either have to spend an early pick on a QB or overpay in my mind for an established vet due to going rate for QBs at this point. So considering that you're still just basically looking at the overall value difference between QB1 and QB12, how much of an affect do you consider 6/4 scoring to have on dynasty QBs?
Last edited by Killabrewster on Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: How Does 6/4 Scoring Affect the Value of QBs?

Postby Plank » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:34 am

4, favors the running QB quite significantly, never cared for it
@PlankMelody

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: How Does 6pt TD/-4pt INT Scoring Affect the Value of QBs?

Postby Hottoddies » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:03 pm

6 pt. TD/ -4 int. provides for a greater scoring difference between the good and bad QBs.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

trc
Captain
Captain

Re: How Does 6pt TD/-4pt INT Scoring Affect the Value of QBs?

Postby trc » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:43 am

I did some calculations on this at some time in the past, though it is lost on an old laptop somewhere..

As far as I recall, the difference between having QB1 and QB12 in the two scoring format isn't that great. But when you move outside the top 12-ish, then the difference starts to pick up between the two scoring formats.