Devonta Freeman Thread: Here we go ...

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
will6779
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Devonta Freeman

Postby will6779 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:52 pm

Im holding on him for sure. He dissapointed alot guys this year but alota players take a year or two before they catch up to the game. I dont see him as an everydown back but one that can do some damage in the passing game. I can see him being a nice rb2.
12 team, ppr,idp league. 35 man roster, 5 ts.
Start- qb,2-3rb,3-4wr,1-2te,pk, 2-3 dl, 2-3 lb, 2-3 db
Scoring- all tds 6 pts, lb&db 2/t, 4/sack. Dl 3/t 5/ sack

QB- luck, tannehill, mallet
RB- spiller,sproles,mathews,ingram p thomas, woodhead, f jackson, k davis, freeman
WR- brandon marshall d thomas,cobb,amendola , bolden, landry, bryant, watkins, carter
TE- Olsen, reed, ertz, housler, escobar
PK- Vinatary
DL- , quinn, dunlap, hankins
LB- Kueckly, bowman, greenway, v miller , ogletree, bostic, kirksey
DB- Beathea, weddel

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:27 pm

Crazier things have happened, but there are an awful lot of talented RBs hitting Free Agency this year and the draft is pretty deep at the position as well. He may be given the first go, but I have little doubt that he will have significant competition.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:05 pm

The only thing that's disappointed me about Freeman this year was Steven Jackson never missing any real time, which I had thought was a strong bet to happen.

Overall, I think Freeman's looked pretty good with his limited role behind one of the league's worst run-blocking lines. And I thought he was clearly the backfield's best receiver, which is important with Atlanta's offense. They even lined him out wide a few times yesterday, and targeted him.

Atlanta has a ton of need at many positions; the O-line, and pretty much the entire defense. Having just spent a pick on an RB last year, and with Jackson signed for another year, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Falcons choose to only flesh out the RB chart for 2015 behind Jackson and Freeman with UDFAs, and possibly Quizz if he's resigned. And if that's the case, I like Freeman's chances again at eventually becoming the starter at some point in 2015 (Jackson will only be a year older), and doing well enough to secure the job going forward into 2016.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:19 pm

I have always really liked Freeman, he was my favorite RB before the draft process played out last offseason, and a target of mine. But it was always with an eye toward 2015 and beyond, with the thought that anything at all he gave this year would be a bonus. So in that regard I am very encouraged from what I saw out of his limited snaps this week. What has me worried is the prospect of Atlanta hiring a new coach. I always figured they would either draft or bring in a complimentary rb to be the thunder to Freeman's lightning. But a new staff that isn't tied to Freeman scares me, as they could look to handpick a new RB, maybe more in the mold of an all 3 down type. It wouldn't be a deathknoll to his value, but it certainly wouldn't be the ideal scenario either.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:48 pm

Freeman, to me, doesn't seem like a guy that really needs to be complimented with another runner. He has an every-down skill-set, and he's comfortable producing between the tackles. He's really not that small. 210 pounds on a 5'8' frame is plenty of mass. He's also never missed a game to injury going back to high-school. I think the only reason he didn't get big volume in college was because FSU was loaded with RB talent, and so they just used all of them.

The probability of a new coaching staff is an interesting point. That definitely could be a road-bump for Freeman, if the new staff decides they want to pick their own guy at the position. Of course, it could also possibly expedite Freeman overtaking Jackson on the depth-chart next year.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:10 pm

I said it before and I'll say it again: Mike Smith is the worst head coach in the NFL

He never gave Freeman a shot, and he's a carbon copy of SJax, except quicker. I absolutely love the dude, and I was hoping he would never see the field for the remainder of the year because I didn't want others to know how good he was. He'll be harder to acquire if he keeps playing like this.

I love Freeman. I will be making an attempt to acquire him in the leagues I do not own him.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:48 am

I think Frank Gore is a good comparison for Freeman.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:26 am

Steven Jackson is a huge dude, similar to AP... Not sure how a 5'8 210lbs can be comparable, unless its at 5/8ths scale.

:D

BTW, just picked up Freeman this morning for Latavius Murray. Freeman is a solid RB who saw limited production but had a very respectable ypc in 2014 running behind a bad o-line. If he gets the feature back role, and Atlanta invests in its line, Freeman should be able to produce low RB1 numbers next year (assuming the front office don't draft a stud RB).

DLFiend
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DLFiend » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:48 am

Freeman's not agile or fast enough to be an NFL RB. He has good vision but goes down to easily at first contact. He's slow for a RB his size and is a poor pass-blocker.

I have no doubt ATL will be investing in a draft RB or signing one of the many free agent RBs (Mark Ingram anyone?)

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:27 am

The track record for fourth round and later RBs is not a good one. People love to point out late rounders or undrafted FAs, but the only ones that have sustained success are in zone blocking schemes. Ellington was looking hopeful, but anyone still feeling confident in him? I'm not. Stacy lasted about a year. Morris and Foster have had their success in zone blocking as has Forsett this year.

I don't have a huge amount of faith in CJ Anderson, or Alfred Blue making any sort of sustained run. Lamar Miller looks like he might break the trend, but how many times has that coaching staff tried to replace him? Do you feel confident that another Moreno isn't in his future? Joique Bell could be a sustained asset, but it certanly isn't because of his rushing ability and chances of him becoming a three down back seem pretty slim.

Even going back to the old Shanahan system, the only back that had success outside the system was Portis and Portis was drafted in the 2nd.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:51 pm

I don't see Freeman as the long term option here. Heck Anton Smith looked to be the far more explosive and productive back to me.

No doubt in my mind, Atl drafts or signs a FA RB.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:49 am

DLFiend wrote:Freeman's not agile or fast enough to be an NFL RB. He has good vision but goes down to easily at first contact. He's slow for a RB his size and is a poor pass-blocker.
His scores in these areas aren't exceptional, but NFL history is still littered with examples of RBs that were successful with speed and agility scores comparable to Freeman (40 times for running-backs are possibly the most overrated statistic in the entire sport... qualities like vision and decisiveness are so, so, sooooooo much more important).

As for going down at first contact, that's just plain made-up by you. You won't find any tape or scouting reports that shows or says that about Freeman. In fact, he's notable for how hard he runs, and almost always falling forward for extra yards.

And finally, the pass-blocking is only a rookie-issue with him. He was exceptional at it in college; his technique is good. He only needs to learn his assignments at an NFL-level now, which he'll probably have down by next season.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

DLFiend
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DLFiend » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:54 pm

ninotoreS wrote:
DLFiend wrote:Freeman's not agile or fast enough to be an NFL RB. He has good vision but goes down to easily at first contact. He's slow for a RB his size and is a poor pass-blocker.
His scores in these areas aren't exceptional, but NFL history is still littered with examples of RBs that were successful with speed and agility scores comparable to Freeman (40 times for running-backs are possibly the most overrated statistic in the entire sport... qualities like vision and decisiveness are so, so, sooooooo much more important).

As for going down at first contact, that's just plain made-up by you. You won't find any tape or scouting reports that shows or says that about Freeman. In fact, he's notable for how hard he runs, and almost always falling forward for extra yards.

And finally, the pass-blocking is only a rookie-issue with him. He was exceptional at it in college; his technique is good. He only needs to learn his assignments at an NFL-level now, which he'll probably have down by next season.
Pretty much everything I said was on display today.

Matticus
Captain
Captain

Devonta Freeman

Postby Matticus » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:46 pm

"Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said Tuesday that he loved Freeman as a prospect in the 2014 draft, Jay Adams of the team's official website reports."

I'm an owner of Freeman after drafting him in the middle of the 2nd last season and plan on holding for the foreseeable future (barring favorable trade inquires). What are your personal expectations for Devonta this year? 3rd down back, full-time starter, RBBC hell? Want to get a gauge of where the DFL community is on Freeman in '15.