General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Cam Akers Official Thread

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:54 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:57 pm
Sriracha wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:55 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:12 am His value is dropping fast. Provided Henderson doesn't suffer a similar injury, Akers role is not going to be lead back of the Rams any time soon.
Huh?
Darrell Henderson is going to have a significant role in the Rams offense. The idea that Akers would come back and have a chance at being the lead back again, which some thought possible in the off season, because many didn't think much of Henderson, is all but gone, barring a major injury to Henderson. Many people were still wanting first plus, for him at that time. That's not happening at this point.
if akers comes back as the same guy he was before the injury he will undoubtedly be the lead back. henderson will not be stopping him. henderson will have the same role the rams envisaged for him before the akers injury. and henderson played well last season. not sure why people didn't think too much of him. it's just that akers is a much better all round rb.

the akers-henderson combination will be one of the best in the league next season. if akers comes back as the same guy.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:10 pm

I'm migrating this from the discussion in the 'Midseason Dynasty Suprises' thread because this is where it belongs. I've taken a lot of flak for my position on Cam Akers in that thread so I wanted to post this now, to be clear that there are plenty of signs that Akers will make a full recovery, and I'm not accused of luck or hindsight later. My take is that Akers is an excellent investment. I think he will return 100% by next year. Why do I believe this when history has been so poor to NFL RBs with Achilles injuries?

1. Kevin Durant - but he's an NBA player, which doesn't have anything to do with an NFL RB. They do different things. Sure, but historically Achilles injuries were brutal to come back from for NBA players too. While it isn't precisely the same motion, NBA players need explosiveness and power and make their living via their legs. Why is Durant having success when Kobe was never right again? He isn't a harder worker. So for Durant, at his age, to come back 100%+ is insane.

2. Obviously, Durant isn't an apples-to-apples comparison, but his success leads to the question, how is he performing at such a high level of play post-injury? Is something different? And if you explore that question, you find out that yes, the treatment is now different. What was holding back the recovery from this type of injury was primarily the dormancy of the injured leg leading to muscle atrophy. So now they are treating Achilles differently. They are no longer putting the leg in a cast, and they are beginning physical therapy much earlier to avoid muscle loss.

3. Akers is posting videos to Instagram. These show him running smoothly without favoring either leg. He is doing the ladder drill in one video. While the running and agility drills are nice to see, it's something else that makes me more confident in this position. His calve muscles look virtually identical. There isn't any visible muscle loss. Talk to anyone who has torn their Achilles, and I'll bet they tell you that the calf on the leg they tore the Achilles is much less muscular regardless of how much they have tried to rebuild it.

4. McVay says Akers could rejoin the team in the playoffs. Yes, Mcvay hasn't always been truthful before, but that doesn't mean he is always lying. What would have had to gain by saying that unless Akers is actually or ahead of schedule?

I get it. If you are risk-averse and only want apples-to-apples comparisons, then fade Akers by all means. I'm just saying I think there is a better chance that he returns and is closer to 100% than people around here believe, and based on sentiment, you can now get him for a discount.

Please bookmark this and flame me if I'm wrong, but I wanted to post it now so when he returns and is an "outlier," we can look back and see that he wasn't an outlier. It's just a progression of how this injury is treated.

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:46 pm

Very nice post. This is exactly why ACLs used to be much more serious, and kinda aren’t anymore, the treatment methods. I’ll admit fully I’m not up to date on Achilles treatment advances, and will say right now, if I’m wrong on Akers, this is why. Definitely gonna take a deeper dive on this.

Any medical professionals wanna weigh in?
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

GrillMeister
Rookie
Rookie

Postby GrillMeister » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:46 am

thebeast wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:10 pm I'm migrating this from the discussion in the 'Midseason Dynasty Suprises' thread because this is where it belongs. I've taken a lot of flak for my position on Cam Akers in that thread so I wanted to post this now, to be clear that there are plenty of signs that Akers will make a full recovery, and I'm not accused of luck or hindsight later. My take is that Akers is an excellent investment. I think he will return 100% by next year. Why do I believe this when history has been so poor to NFL RBs with Achilles injuries?

1. Kevin Durant - but he's an NBA player, which doesn't have anything to do with an NFL RB. They do different things. Sure, but historically Achilles injuries were brutal to come back from for NBA players too. While it isn't precisely the same motion, NBA players need explosiveness and power and make their living via their legs. Why is Durant having success when Kobe was never right again? He isn't a harder worker. So for Durant, at his age, to come back 100%+ is insane.

2. Obviously, Durant isn't an apples-to-apples comparison, but his success leads to the question, how is he performing at such a high level of play post-injury? Is something different? And if you explore that question, you find out that yes, the treatment is now different. What was holding back the recovery from this type of injury was primarily the dormancy of the injured leg leading to muscle atrophy. So now they are treating Achilles differently. They are no longer putting the leg in a cast, and they are beginning physical therapy much earlier to avoid muscle loss.

3. Akers is posting videos to Instagram. These show him running smoothly without favoring either leg. He is doing the ladder drill in one video. While the running and agility drills are nice to see, it's something else that makes me more confident in this position. His calve muscles look virtually identical. There isn't any visible muscle loss. Talk to anyone who has torn their Achilles, and I'll bet they tell you that the calf on the leg they tore the Achilles is much less muscular regardless of how much they have tried to rebuild it.

4. McVay says Akers could rejoin the team in the playoffs. Yes, Mcvay hasn't always been truthful before, but that doesn't mean he is always lying. What would have had to gain by saying that unless Akers is actually or ahead of schedule?

I get it. If you are risk-averse and only want apples-to-apples comparisons, then fade Akers by all means. I'm just saying I think there is a better chance that he returns and is closer to 100% than people around here believe, and based on sentiment, you can now get him for a discount.

Please bookmark this and flame me if I'm wrong, but I wanted to post it now so when he returns and is an "outlier," we can look back and see that he wasn't an outlier. It's just a progression of how this injury is treated.
Awesome post. That’s some wallstreetbets level DD. I briefly googled pro athletes and Achilles repair.
This article was relatively informative:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stampe ... -for-colts

I have to say I pretty much forgot about Akers after the injury but I might be a buyer if the price is right. The recent players I can think of in donta foreman and Marlon mack not making a strong case for pre-injury ability. But then again, there’s other factors that’s prevented their fantasy relevance.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:23 am

GrillMeister wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:46 am That’s some wallstreetbets level DD
Not sure I'd consider that a compliment

Shankopotamus
Starter
Starter

Postby Shankopotamus » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:49 am

12 Team Super-Flex TEP Dynasty
22 CHAMP :dance:
(2019 & 2020 Runner-Up) :wall:

1 QB, 3 RB, 4 WR, Flex, SF, 2 TE

3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB, 1 Flex IDP

QB- Justin Herbert, Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota, Gardner Minshew, Sam Ehlinger
RB- D’Andre Swift, Nick Chubb, Javonte Williams, Cam Akers, Kyren Williams, Jerome Ford, D’Ernest Johnson, Darrell Henderson
WR- DK Metcalf, DJ Moore, Chris Godwin, Jameson Williams, Gabe Davis, Hollywood Brown, Josh Reynolds, Calvin Austin, Laviska Shenault, Kyle Phillips
TE-Mark Andrews, Greg Dulcich, Isaiah Likely, Donald Parham, Tyler Conklin
DL-Danielle Hunter, Nick Bosa, Deforest Buckner, Jonathon Allen
LB- Micah Parsons, Jack Sanborn, Logan Wilson, Cole Holcomb, Nakobe Dean, Brian Asamoah
DB-Jeremy Chinn, Jalen Pitre, Jalen Thompson, Kam Curl, Darrick Forrest
K-Tyler Bass

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:49 am

Shankopotamus wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:49 am Looks like he's nearing a return.

https://twitter.com/HoldenCantor/status ... 00903?s=20
I hope I am on the wrong side of this, but I will believe it when I see it on a Sunday
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:42 am

Shankopotamus wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:49 am Looks like he's nearing a return.

https://twitter.com/HoldenCantor/status ... 00903?s=20
There's a big difference between doing rehab/agility drills and playing NFL football. I'll believe it when I see it. The same guy who posted this also asked the football doc how the leg looks, because he has no idea. LOL. I just think it's unreasonable to expect Akers back this season.

Akers has been running on the treadmill at 80% body weight at 10 miles per hour. That's not exactly ready to play levels.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:47 am

Even though I sold him, I hope he comes back healthy. I think a return this early would be a dumb move by him and the Rams, assuming the Rams do like him long term. Even with progressions in Achilles injuries, he's on the super human recovery time path. If I were an owner, I'd be hoping for a 2022 start of season return instead.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:37 am

Saquon was doing rehab/agility drills for months before he came back and looked amazing doing them, but still waited awhile to play. It takes time to get rid of any atrophy/build back what you had. Like previously stated - this is excellent progress, but I wouldn't hold my breath for anything this year. You're only looking to reinjure yourself by rushing.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:51 pm

SoftwoodGrampian wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:05 am They let that stuff permeate the media to motivate the player in their rehab. He isn’t returning and if he does it’s simply a business mistake and he will look like garbanzo beans just like Marlon.
++
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:02 pm

WOW. Akers designated to return from IR. Who could have seen that coming?

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:34 pm

thebeast wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:02 pm WOW. Akers designated to return from IR. Who could have seen that coming?
coach has been talking about it for a few months now . Personally id like to see them take it slow with him and give him 3-4 weeks to work back into shape before returning him to game action .

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:36 pm

KingsKing wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:34 pm
thebeast wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:02 pm WOW. Akers designated to return from IR. Who could have seen that coming?
coach has been talking about it for a few months now . Personally id like to see them take it slow with him and give him 3-4 weeks to work back into shape before returning him to game action .
Don't mind him he's just taking a victory lap lol

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:43 pm

Surgical advancements and rehab is simply way better these days. Good for him!

The last 3 I know of came back in under 8 months. E. Sanders, M. Hooker, and now it looks like Akers.

These guys must really work hard. :thumbup:
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts