Post Draft Top 12 Rankings

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Zacsby
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Post Draft Top 12 Rankings

Postby Zacsby » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:36 pm

the_lung wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:12 pm I’m still shaking my head at all the people with Clyde-Edwards-Helaire as your 1.01 pick, based almost entirely on landing spot alone.
Some people respect Andy Reid's opinion/vision more than yours. Don't think there's anything wrong with that. Draft capital is a huge deal. If they took him in the late 3rd and people were still moving him up their board a ton because it's KC then yeah, makes no sense. That's not what we're dealing with here though.

For the record, I had him RB4, but not far behind JT/Dobbins/Swift. Many many MANY people, tape grinders and analysts alike felt more strongly about him than that PREDRAFT. Most importantly, actual NFL teams did as well. You're massively oversimplifying what led to this by saying it's based almost entirely on landing spot alone.
12 Team SF IDP
QB - Mahomes, Lawrence, Mac
RB - Etienne, Walker, Rhamondre, Javonte, Akers, CEH
WR - AJB, Waddle, Higgins, Gabe, Toney
TE - Andrews, ISJ
DL - Quinnen, Highsmith, Josh Allen
LB - Lloyd, JOK, Gay, Bush
DB - Winfield, Love, Delpit

14 Team 1QB IDP
QB - Fields, Jimmy G
RB - Henry, Kamara, Swift, Herbert
WR - Adams, Juju, Jakobi, Theilen
TE - Hock, Everett
DL - Garrett, Buckner, Sweat
LB - White, David, Okereke, Jack
DB - Budda, CJGJ, Dugger, Byard

drbuttermaker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby drbuttermaker » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:39 pm

Clyde Edwards-Helaire
J.K. Dobbins
CeeDee Lamb
Jerry Jeudy
Tee Higgins
D'Andre Swift
Jalen Reagor
Jonathan Taylor
Henry Ruggs III
Ke'Shawn Vaughn
Cam Acres
Eight-way tie for 12

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:41 pm

the_lung wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:12 pm I’m still shaking my head at all the people with Clyde-Edwards-Helaire as your 1.01 pick, based almost entirely on landing spot alone. I think that many of these folks are new to dynasty fantasy football or have a poor memory. Here’s a list going back only just ten years of running backs who were drafted highly, around the same spot as CEH, and thought to be gifted into “primo landing spots” where there was very little competition for carries. Many of these backs weren’t thought of as elite talents or running back prospects before their respective NFL Drafts. How many of these panned out?
  • Rashad Penny, #27 Seattle Seahawks
  • TJ. Yeldon, #36 Jacksonville Jaguars
  • Ameer Abdullah, #54 Detroit Lions
  • Bishop Sankey, #54 Tennessee Titans
  • Giovani Bernard, #37 Cincinnati Bengals
  • Montee Ball, #58 Denver Broncos
  • David Wilson, #32 NY Giants
  • Ryan Williams, #38 Arizona Cardinals
  • Mikel Leshoure, #57 Detroit Lions
  • Ryan Mathews, #12 San Diego Chargers
  • Ben Tate, #58 Houston Texans
  • Jahvid Best, #30 Detroit Lions
  • Donald Brown, #30 Indianapolis Colts
  • Beanie Wells, #31 Arizona Cardinals
Do we need to go back another ten years? :think:
Why are you operating under the assumption that CEH isn’t also the most talented RB? Useless pre-draft rankings and mock drafts? I think most at this point most would pencil him in as the most talented pass catcher in the class, which is a significant component of the modern RB skillset. Is it just based on long speed, because CEH had comparable short area times to anyone in the class. Size? There are no elite RB prospects in this class, so why isn’t CEH the most talented when he probably has the most refined skillset for the current league?
Last edited by PR0v3 on Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

Zacsby
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Zacsby » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:44 pm

the_lung wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:12 pm
Nice list of 1st round busts. Bet the list of 2nd round busts is similarly long.
12 Team SF IDP
TE - Andrews, ISJ

14 Team 1QB IDP
QB - Fields, Jimmy G
TE - Hock, Everett

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:47 pm

1.01 CEH
1.02 Taylor
-
1.03 Dobbins
-
1.04 Akers
1.05 Swift
-
1.06 Reagor
1.07 Lamb
-
1.08 Jefferson
1.09 Jeudy
1.10 Vaughn
1.11 Ruggs
1.12 Burrow

Splitting hairs Taylor or CEH to me. Perfect fits in premier spots for each of them to provide instant RB1 production.

Dobbins a tier of his own. Perfect fit landing spot for his skill set, but not the same draft capital, and he's not gonna come in right away with Ingram there. The decision at 1.03 is very easy for me hence a tier of his own.

Akers and Swift talent is up at the top but the landing spots are not as premier. They're not bad tho - I think they get plenty of opportunity to produce right away. Just not the grand slam spots as those in front.

Reagor nailed his location. Perfect fit of talent to situation. And I'm not worried about Lamb at all. Lots of available targets in Dallas.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:53 pm

I see myself owning a lot of Swift shares this year. I just can't get on board with CEH or Akers moving up this far based on landing. I don't see Swift in a bad fit, he is better than the incumbent and will get the work
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:55 pm

murphysxm wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:53 pm I see myself owning a lot of Swift shares this year. I just can't get on board with CEH or Akers moving up this far based on landing. I don't see Swift in a bad fit, he is better than the incumbent and will get the work
It's Detroit. And CEH is just about as talented as Swift. Hell, Andy Reid thinks he's more so, and might know better than us.

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:56 pm

Zacsby wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:44 pm
the_lung wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:12 pm
Nice list of 1st round busts. Bet the list of 2nd round busts is similarly long.
These aren't even all 1st rounders. 7 of them are 2nd round picks.

If you want to just cherry pick historical stats how about the top RB picked in the last 10 drafts

Jacobs
Barkley
Fournette
Elliott
Gurley
Sankey
Bernard
Richardson
Ingram
Spiller

Much fewer busts there.

Look at draft capital, talent and situation. If you didn't have CEH near the talent to be one of the top backs, then you shouldn't have him 1.1. If you have him comparable or felt he was very talented before the draft, you have every right to consider him the 1.1. He is just as likely to be the best fantasy player from this class as anyone else.

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:58 pm

Lord_Varys wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:55 pm
murphysxm wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:53 pm I see myself owning a lot of Swift shares this year. I just can't get on board with CEH or Akers moving up this far based on landing. I don't see Swift in a bad fit, he is better than the incumbent and will get the work
It's Detroit. And CEH is just about as talented as Swift. Hell, Andy Reid thinks he's more so, and might know better than us.
I don't think either are workhorse backs, and although their talents are different, I like CEH's talent more than Swift. He's more elite at his best skills than Swift. I'm also not nearly as high on Swift as most.

Zacsby
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Zacsby » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:59 pm

mgscott wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:56 pm These aren't even all 1st rounders. 7 of them are 2nd round picks.

If you want to just cherry pick historical stats how about the top RB picked in the last 10 drafts

Jacobs
Barkley
Fournette
Elliott
Gurley
Sankey
Bernard
Richardson
Ingram
Spiller

Much fewer busts there.

Look at draft capital, talent and situation. If you didn't have CEH near the talent to be one of the top backs, then you shouldn't have him 1.1. If you have him comparable or felt he was very talented before the draft, you have every right to consider him the 1.1. He is just as likely to be the best fantasy player from this class as anyone else.
Hot damn, I honestly didn't even pay attention to the names after Penny :lol: dude is trolling hard.
12 Team SF IDP
TE - Andrews, ISJ

14 Team 1QB IDP
QB - Fields, Jimmy G
TE - Hock, Everett

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:01 pm

Cowboysfan33 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:36 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:13 pm
Cowboysfan33 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:49 am First off, it’s always good to see different rankings because it can help you look at things differently, sometimes, with that being said, I think a lot of people are too high on Akers and way too low on J.Jeudy & C.Lamb. Akers, although talented, is going to a team with a really sub-par offensive line and he’ll still be in competition with D.Henderson for touches. I don’t know if people are forgetting these are dynasty rankings when evaluating Jeudy and especially Lamb. In Dallas, there’s 166 targets vacated when Cobb/Witten left, Jarwin will get some of those but Lamb is going to get plenty his rookie season and keep in mind, Gallup only has 2 years left on his rookie deal. As for Jeudy, much like Lamb in Dallas, is going to get favorable coverage, due to Sutton, Fant etc.
The same argument goes the other way, the Rams O-line isn't locked into being bad forever and O-lines can go from bad to good or good to bad pretty quickly. RBs produce a lot more value than WRs during the period of their rookie contracts on average, and come in near peak value and production which is not typically the case with WRs. The rankings on Lamb and Jeudy are in no way a knock on them, it's just a reflection of the strength of this class as a whole and the value of rookie RBs vs rookie WRs.
That’s a good point about the strength of the class, definitely agree on that point, in most years, Jeudy/Lamb would probably both be in the top 3. Personally, I’ve had pretty good luck with loading up with WRs on my dynasty teams but that can vary with people because of their league starting requirements, settings, etc. Maybe I’ll change my mind some on Akers, but right now, I have him below Jeudy/Lamb.

RB's don't need training camp nearly as much as WR's do. That's yet another reason to err towards RB in this draft, especially considering their landing spots, Denver's messy, and Lambs situation will get much more attractive by '22 (I expect them to say bye bye to Gallup that offseason), but in the near term will be very difficult. I love the WR's in this draft, but am setting aside the first 5 picks for RB's in 1 QB leagues more than likely, especially w/the training camp angle added. Then just try and flip the RB as their value goes up (potentially).

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:05 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:24 pm
the_lung wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:12 pm I’m still shaking my head at all the people with Clyde-Edwards-Helaire as your 1.01 pick, based almost entirely on landing spot alone. I think that many of these folks are new to dynasty fantasy football or have a poor memory. Here’s a list going back only just ten years of running backs who were drafted highly, around the same spot as CEH, and thought to be gifted into “primo landing spots” where there was very little competition for carries. Many of these backs weren’t thought of as elite talents or running back prospects before their respective NFL Drafts. How many of these panned out?
I'm with you but just want to raise one counterpoint. How many of those above offenses were as prolific as the Chiefs? I think CEH fits what they want pretty well and should be a good fantasy RB. Not my 1.01, but he still gets a bump due to landing spot, regardless.
Seattle had an excellent offense until they brought in a total knuckledragging cave man to run it.

Montee and Donald Brown went to Peyton Manning teams, not bad.

Gio's Bengals were a team that typically made runs at the playoffs.

Best was actually damn good but had a career ending injury happen just as his career was starting.

But yeah, I agree w/the general sentiment which is why I still have CEH behind Taylor, Dobbins, and Swift.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

?

Postby stoneghost28 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:26 pm

PR0v3 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:41 pm
Why are you operating under the assumption that CEH isn’t also the most talented RB? Useless pre-draft rankings and mock drafts? I think most at this point most would pencil him in as the most talented pass catcher in the class, which is a significant component of the modern RB skillset. Is it just based on long speed, because CEH had comparable short area times to anyone in the class. Size? There are no elite RB prospects in this class, so why isn’t CEH the most talented when he probably has the most refined skillset for the current league?
Because Jonathan Taylor, D'Andre Swift, and JK Dobbins are more talented RB's, period. While Edwards-Helaire was making no in roads at the starting gig JK Dobbins, and Jonathan Taylor were killing people left and right starting as freshman. Swift joined in during his second year and Taylor even added a passing game element to his game last season after logging 3 straight 2,000 yard seasons. Meanwhile CEH was largely irrelevant until his third season with LSU. That matters.

Not sure what you're talking about in arguing that there are no elite RB prospects in the class (or were you referring to BMI specifically?). Taylor came out of Scott Barrett's PFF model as basically the equal or better of any RB that's come out since the RB renaissance began in '15 other than Barkley. At the same time that eval's going on you still have a bunch of people rating Swift as the more talented of the two, which if it were to prove true, would suggest he's also one of the best to come out the past six drafts, and then you have JK Dobbins who basically just ran through every single defense he ever faced, elite, bad, and indifferent. But there are no elite RB prospects? Huh? Seriously? Maybe I'm just misreading you.
Last edited by stoneghost28 on Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:30 pm

stoneghost28 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:01 pm
Cowboysfan33 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:36 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:13 pm

The same argument goes the other way, the Rams O-line isn't locked into being bad forever and O-lines can go from bad to good or good to bad pretty quickly. RBs produce a lot more value than WRs during the period of their rookie contracts on average, and come in near peak value and production which is not typically the case with WRs. The rankings on Lamb and Jeudy are in no way a knock on them, it's just a reflection of the strength of this class as a whole and the value of rookie RBs vs rookie WRs.
That’s a good point about the strength of the class, definitely agree on that point, in most years, Jeudy/Lamb would probably both be in the top 3. Personally, I’ve had pretty good luck with loading up with WRs on my dynasty teams but that can vary with people because of their league starting requirements, settings, etc. Maybe I’ll change my mind some on Akers, but right now, I have him below Jeudy/Lamb.

RB's don't need training camp nearly as much as WR's do. That's yet another reason to err towards RB in this draft, especially considering their landing spots, Denver's messy, and Lambs situation will get much more attractive by '22 (I expect them to say bye bye to Gallup that offseason), but in the near term will be very difficult. I love the WR's in this draft, but am setting aside the first 5 picks for RB's in 1 QB leagues more than likely, especially w/the training camp angle added. Then just try and flip the RB as their value goes up (potentially).
That’s a pretty good strategy, as far as RBs goes. I was mainly talking about Akers in the initial post, just personally, I can’t take him ahead of Lamb or Jeudy, but I don’t mind waiting on those guys, some of my leagues are way more active than others, so personally, I have to weigh that too because some owners won’t trade young highly drafted players.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:32 pm

You're not wrong. Granted, CEH is a solid football player, but pre-draft, it was unpopular opinion to believe that he was the top back in this class. I think maybe Ice and a few others believed it.

Fast forward, and now he's the 1.01...and it feels very weird. I acknowledge opinions change once we get new information and I agree that his rookie stock should rise, but it still does not feel like he's a 1.01 type of talent. It is mostly situation for him, even though that doesn't mean he's untalented.