Jordan Howard: Stock Up?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
kwade7575
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Jordan Howard: Stock Up?

Postby kwade7575 » Fri May 13, 2016 7:15 pm

I watched a couple videos of Jordan Howard and I fell in love with him. I loved his ability to slip through a hole, I loved his one cut and go style, and I loved his physicality. When I made my rankings a few weeks ago, I put him #4 behind Zeke, Booker, and Dixon. Today I was listening to the Dynasty Nerds recent podcast and they didn't even have Howard in the top ten, which blew me away. I decided to go back and watch some more to see if I was missing anything and I watched the game against Wake Forest... yikes, he looked like a straight plodder in that game. I still love him though! What do you guys think? pure runner or plodder?
The Vaders 10-team .5PPR QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/Superflex/Flex/Flex
QB - C.Wentz, A. Luck
RB - S. Michel, N. Chubb, R. Jones, D.Murray, S.Ware, B.Powell, Du.Johnson
WR - D.Hopkins, S.Watkins, A.Cooper, M.Lee, D. Parker
TE - Z.Ertz, J. Reed

Saskatchewan Roughriders 16-team .5PPR QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/FLEX/FLEX/FLEX/DEF/K Orphan 2016
QB - Mitchell Trubisky
RB - L.Fournette, Brian Hill
WR - M.Thomas, J.Doctson, Corey Davis, L.Treadwell, J.Crowder, M.Lee, Zay Jones
TE - Z.Ertz
2018 picks 1,1,2,3

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Jordan Howard! or Jordan Howard?

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri May 13, 2016 7:24 pm

I like Howard. He takes running angry to a new level and has very good vision. I just worry that his style could keep him on the sidelines with injuries.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri May 13, 2016 8:55 pm

kwade7575 wrote:I watched a couple videos of Jordan Howard and I fell in love with him. I loved his ability to slip through a hole, I loved his one cut and go style, and I loved his physicality. When I made my rankings a few weeks ago, I put him #4 behind Zeke, Booker, and Dixon. Today I was listening to the Dynasty Nerds recent podcast and they didn't even have Howard in the top ten, which blew me away. I decided to go back and watch some more to see if I was missing anything and I watched the game against Wake Forest... yikes, he looked like a straight plodder in that game. I still love him though! What do you guys think? pure runner or plodder?
Lance Zierlien stated that a very well respected RB coach in the NFL said Howard was the best pure runner in this class. Better than Zeke. Now Zeke was the better all round back, but this guy said that as a pure runner, Howard was the best. Zierline had him rated higher than Henry at one point, but dropped him down due to the injuries.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat May 14, 2016 1:54 am

JTLoh wrote:Can't catch. Can't pass pro.
3rd and 1, in comes Howard.
Goal to go, in comes Howard.
Everything else, Langford.
Showed good hands at the combine. Indiana didn't use him much in the passing game, but it doesn't mean he can't catch. Howard could easily steal early down work from Langford. He's the better between the tackles runner. I see this as a typical response from Langford owners. I own no stock in either, but Langford is not that good a back.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -langford/

It appears Langford can't pass protect, either. He was 3rd worst among qualified backs.(article above is referenced)

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Sat May 14, 2016 3:25 am

i anticipate howard getting some opportunities. what he does with them remains to be seen. imo, there is some value to be had in the chicago backfield, but hard to say who the guy to own will be. i really think they have 3 guys that are meh... that may be tough for us fantasy owners if noone separates themself.

at the pick it takes to draft him, he's worth a shot. but i wouldnt be moving up or trading future picks to get him. at the 1st sign of promise...i would sell for a 17 1st if he shows it.

take that as you wish, i also believed that langford, rawls, and dj were sells at the early offseason price they were commanding. in terms of selling howard...there are several more talented backs that will be comming out next year. my guess is that howard would easily slip into the 3rd next year and perhaps even farther back. he is not a special talent, and has injury concerns to boot. he is not a long term answer imo.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Sat May 14, 2016 3:58 am

A couple of years ago I was at the same place with jeremy hill . I had him as my 1:1 which in retrospect was too high but most alleged experts had him as rb 7 or lower and suggested he was a mid to late 2nd in rookie draft at best . I was patient and drafted him in the 10 to 12 range in every league and he carried me to many titles his rookie year . If you have a feeling about a guy then chase it to a point. I did draft him a bit early but not getting to the tip top of the draft where I had he and allen robinson ranked . Robinson was my wr3 much higher than most & didn't do much his rookie year but last year was sensational .
Long story short if you have a feeling chase it to the extent of drafting early enough that you get the guy , but not way way ahead of ADP. Even if hill was jim brown jr buying at 1;1 was unneccessary as that is raising the sticker price making him less of a great deal. The experts are wrong often ,the metrics can be misleading but only you have to live with your mistakes so make your own not other people's mistakes.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

kwade7575
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby kwade7575 » Sat May 14, 2016 10:14 am

clarion contrarion wrote:A couple of years ago I was at the same place with jeremy hill . I had him as my 1:1 which in retrospect was too high but most alleged experts had him as rb 7 or lower and suggested he was a mid to late 2nd in rookie draft at best . I was patient and drafted him in the 10 to 12 range in every league and he carried me to many titles his rookie year . If you have a feeling about a guy then chase it to a point. I did draft him a bit early but not getting to the tip top of the draft where I had he and allen robinson ranked . Robinson was my wr3 much higher than most & didn't do much his rookie year but last year was sensational .
Long story short if you have a feeling chase it to the extent of drafting early enough that you get the guy , but not way way ahead of ADP. Even if hill was jim brown jr buying at 1;1 was unneccessary as that is raising the sticker price making him less of a great deal. The experts are wrong often ,the metrics can be misleading but only you have to live with your mistakes so make your own not other people's mistakes.
Yea, definitely, I dont draft until the 2.4 in a 10 teamer anyway. 14 is about as high as I have seen him going, so it wont really be a reach on value. My league is superflex too, so I think he will easily make it to my pick with 3 QB's most likely being selected before that.

I definitely understand that it is more than likely that the Chicago backfield gets replaced as a whole next year, so If Howard hits I will be looking to try and get my 2017 1st back that I dealt away. I think/hope for this year, though, he takes over that backfield. And thanks to FantasyFreak, we can also see that Langford's 3rd down role is not exactly protected, so maybe he wont be shipped off the field on every 3rd down.
The Vaders 10-team .5PPR QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/Superflex/Flex/Flex
QB - C.Wentz, A. Luck
RB - S. Michel, N. Chubb, R. Jones, D.Murray, S.Ware, B.Powell, Du.Johnson
WR - D.Hopkins, S.Watkins, A.Cooper, M.Lee, D. Parker
TE - Z.Ertz, J. Reed

Saskatchewan Roughriders 16-team .5PPR QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/FLEX/FLEX/FLEX/DEF/K Orphan 2016
QB - Mitchell Trubisky
RB - L.Fournette, Brian Hill
WR - M.Thomas, J.Doctson, Corey Davis, L.Treadwell, J.Crowder, M.Lee, Zay Jones
TE - Z.Ertz
2018 picks 1,1,2,3

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat May 14, 2016 12:01 pm

If he can't catch, the Bears are in trouble because Langford can't either...

Fwiw, Christine Michael was also the "best pure runner" in his draft class too.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Meretc01
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Meretc01 » Sat May 14, 2016 2:44 pm

Michael also had trouble understanding the playbook.. that's also why he didn't produce as well as he should have.
12Team 1QB 3 WR 2 RB 1 TE 2 Flex
QB: Tannehill, Wilson
RB: Swift, M. Carter, Etienne, Cohen, Mckissic, Dallas
WR: Jefferson, Pittman Jr.,T. Higgins, Reagor, Parker, Slayton, G.Davis, Cephus, A St.Brown, T. Marshall,
T. Johnson
TE: Schultz, Jonnu, Dissly, Sample
2022 Picks: 1st-2 3rd-1

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Sat May 14, 2016 3:36 pm

Personally, I dont see anyone other than Elliot or Henry (from this class) having a legit shot at becoming the long term answer for their respective franchises. I'm probably alone in this thinking and it suits me just fine. I think they make excellent stopgaps though!
Sentenced to Redraft Duty

Wentz / Goff
Jacobs / Mack / Coleman / Mixon
OBJ / Adams / Thielen / Sutton / Gallup / Davis
Ertz / Henry

Death_From_Above
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Death_From_Above » Sat May 14, 2016 3:52 pm

FantasyFreak wrote:https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -langford/

It appears Langford can't pass protect, either. He was 3rd worst among qualified backs.(article above is referenced)
Good Read

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sat May 14, 2016 11:42 pm

JTLoh wrote:Can't catch. Can't pass pro.
3rd and 1, in comes Howard.
Goal to go, in comes Howard.
Everything else, Langford.
Langford struggles to run in between the tackles. Howard could legitimately take the early down role.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun May 15, 2016 12:09 am

skip wrote:If he can't catch, the Bears are in trouble because Langford can't either...

Fwiw, Christine Michael was also the "best pure runner" in his draft class too.
Yeah, but he was too busy pursuing his rap career to use it....

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Sun May 15, 2016 7:02 am

Howard can catch. If his game translates and he doesn't just end up hurt all the time, he is legitimately better than Langford in every area except downfield route running and "get him in space" type plays.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sun May 15, 2016 7:56 am

georg013 wrote:Personally, I dont see anyone other than Elliot or Henry (from this class) having a legit shot at becoming the long term answer for their respective franchises. I'm probably alone in this thinking and it suits me just fine. I think they make excellent stopgaps though!
No, you are exactly correct. A lot of people like to dismiss "draft pedigree" but it can be very telling on the predictability of future opportunity. Every year dynasty owners make the same mistake by getting excited about later round running backs who land in good situations. Unless they are drafted in the top 3 or MAYBE the 4th round of the draft, the likelihood of success is very low.

The only two that fall on that range for me this year other than Elliott and Henry are Drake and Prosise. I am not all that bullish on either of those other two.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.