OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Re: Clyde Edwards-Helaire is your new 1.01

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:41 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:38 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:29 pm
StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:00 pm

Yeah Wisconsin's vaunted OL compared to the "awful" OLs other top RB prospects ran behind at *checks notes* Georgia, LSU and Ohio State?
Their OL still dominated in most games. The level of competition was not great. JT certainly maximized it, but it isn't the SEC. Other than Ohio St., Oregon, and Michigan St. and Michigan to a lesser extent, they face very little that can push back against them. I tried to find games against "good" competition, and it's tough to find. He had 1 good game, and 1 poor game vs Ohio St. Was mediocre vs Oregon and Michigan St, and although Michigan is supposed to be good, their OL dominated, and JT ran wild. I am a big JT fan, but his strength is not creating on his own. He really can maximize good blocking with his size and speed, though. Once he gets going, he's a nightmare. If he's forced to stop or slow down behind the LOS, he can be contained more than some other backs in this class, CEH being one of them.
Penn St. #5 rush defense in the nation
Iowa #14 rush defense
Minnesota #23

Are also quality Big 10 Rushing defenses... The Big 10 is probably the 2nd strongest conference in terms of rush defense in NCAAF.

This is a really bad take, that's all I'm going to say here.
We’re getting away from the point, which is that somebody hilariously and wrongly said that JT was only valued highly before the Draft because of the combine, when he was historically productive in college.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:41 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:35 pm

Yeah Wisconsin's vaunted OL compared to the "awful" OLs other top RB prospects ran behind at *checks notes* Georgia, LSU and Ohio State?
Their OL still dominated in most games. The level of competition was not great. JT certainly maximized it, but it isn't the SEC. Other than Ohio St., Oregon, and Michigan St. and Michigan to a lesser extent, they face very little that can push back against them.
And LSU's OL didn't dominate against against the entire SEC besides Alabama, Auburn and Clemson in the playoff?

Or Georgia's against every team besides Florida, Alabama and LSU?

Or Ohio State against every team besides Clemson, Michigan and Wisconsin?

The SEC is better but it has plenty of bad and mediocre teams for LSU and Georgia's 5 star behomoths to mow down as well
That wasn't my point, really. My point was that listing the draft pedigree of their lineman didn't mean that their OL wasn't still vastly better than the DL's they faced.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:43 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:41 pm

Their OL still dominated in most games. The level of competition was not great. JT certainly maximized it, but it isn't the SEC. Other than Ohio St., Oregon, and Michigan St. and Michigan to a lesser extent, they face very little that can push back against them. I tried to find games against "good" competition, and it's tough to find. He had 1 good game, and 1 poor game vs Ohio St. Was mediocre vs Oregon and Michigan St, and although Michigan is supposed to be good, their OL dominated, and JT ran wild. I am a big JT fan, but his strength is not creating on his own. He really can maximize good blocking with his size and speed, though. Once he gets going, he's a nightmare. If he's forced to stop or slow down behind the LOS, he can be contained more than some other backs in this class, CEH being one of them.
Iowa #14 rush defense
Minnesota #23

Are also quality Big 10 Rushing defenses... The Big 10 is probably the 2nd strongest conference in terms of rush defense in NCAAF.

We’re getting away from the point, which is that somebody hilariously and wrongly said that JT was only valued highly before the Draft because of the combine, when he was historically productive in college.
That’s definitely not what I said.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:44 pm

Iowa #14 rush defense
Minnesota #23

Yeah, but again, quality of opponent. If Penn St played in the SEC, do you really think they'd be a top 5 rush D? I don't. Don't really care whaat you think of the take. If you watch the games, the OL dominated in most of the ones JT went off in. Not downplaying his involvement, but he isn't creating all those yards on his own. The OL is a big reason he's been so successful. Doesn't mean he isn't talented. Taylor maximizes good blocking, but he isn't great at creating on his own when it breaks down. Luckily, he'll have a good OL in Indy, so it should be more of the same, as a runner.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:47 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:41 pm

Their OL still dominated in most games. The level of competition was not great. JT certainly maximized it, but it isn't the SEC. Other than Ohio St., Oregon, and Michigan St. and Michigan to a lesser extent, they face very little that can push back against them.
And LSU's OL didn't dominate against against the entire SEC besides Alabama, Auburn and Clemson in the playoff?

The SEC is better but it has plenty of bad and mediocre teams for LSU and Georgia's 5 star behomoths to mow down as well
That wasn't my point, really. My point was that listing the draft pedigree of their lineman didn't mean that their OL wasn't still vastly better than the DL's they faced.
And I'm saying that "criticism" applies to all top RB prospects besides Akers, Vaughn and if digging deep then Kelly, McFarland types

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:50 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:47 pm

And I'm saying that "criticism" applies to all top RB prospects besides Akers, Vaughn and if digging deep then Kelly, McFarland types
Sure. I agree with that. I would say on individual plays, when the blocking does break down, CEH is far better at creating on his own than JT. It is one of the strengths he holds over him. JT certainly holds strengths over Clyde as well. Just one thing I observed from sitting at home during this pandemic watching a ton of football.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:50 pm

PR0v3 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:43 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:41 pmWe’re getting away from the point, which is that somebody hilariously and wrongly said that JT was only valued highly before the Draft because of the combine, when he was historically productive in college.
Hahaha sure it wasn’t champ!
PR0v3 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:52 pmJT was only viewed as the consensus top talent pre-draft because up until the draft the talent benchmark was the combine.
Man, I’m sure there will come a day when watching these guys run headlong into Ls is going to get old, but it’s not tonight!

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:52 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:50 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:41 pmWe’re getting away from the point, which is that somebody hilariously and wrongly said that JT was only valued highly before the Draft because of the combine, when he was historically productive in college.
PR0v3 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:52 pmJT was only viewed as the consensus top talent pre-draft because up until the draft the talent benchmark was the combine.
Man, I’m sure there will come a day when watching these guys run headlong into Ls is going to get old, but it’s not tonight!
You seem to have reading comprehension issues. Try again.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:53 pm

PR0v3 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:52 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:50 pm

You seem to have reading comprehension issues. Try again.
Keep going!

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:00 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:50 pm

Sure. I agree with that. I would say on individual plays, when the blocking does break down, CEH is far better at creating on his own than JT. It is one of the strengths he holds over him. JT certainly holds strengths over Clyde as well. Just one thing I observed from sitting at home during this pandemic watching a ton of football.
Yeah I can see that.

Would have him below CEH, likely Dobbins too if he had gone to the Rams or Lions

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:12 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:00 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:50 pm

Yeah I can see that.

Would have him below CEH, likely Dobbins too if he had gone to the Rams or Lions
For real. All 3 players landed in ideal spots, maximizing there potential, and therefor draft value in rookie drafts, IMO.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:19 pm

MJD nailed it in March. Just noticed this.
Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 11.19.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 11.19.01 PM.png (104 KiB) Viewed 271 times

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:23 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:44 pm Yeah, but again, quality of opponent. If Penn St played in the SEC, do you really think they'd be a top 5 rush D? I don't. Don't really care whaat you think of the take. If you watch the games, the OL dominated in most of the ones JT went off in. Not downplaying his involvement, but he isn't creating all those yards on his own. The OL is a big reason he's been so successful. Doesn't mean he isn't talented. Taylor maximizes good blocking, but he isn't great at creating on his own when it breaks down. Luckily, he'll have a good OL in Indy, so it should be more of the same, as a runner.
I have no idea where Penn St. would land if they played in the SEC instead of the Big 10; neither do you. Automatically assuming they'd be significantly worse off is a reckless assumption to make.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:45 pm

PR0v3 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:45 pm Is his value inflated because of landing spot or was his value pre-draft deflated due to questions surrounding proper utilization of his skillset? Any coach can hand the ball off to a guy and ask him to run forward. Not every coach can scheme to get the ball in their playmakers hands through the air.
Either way, you're describing a player who was boosted by situation. If the Dolphins draft CEH at #30, is he still the 1.01? Probably not.

CEH is a solid player and arguably the best receiving back in this class. I think he was lower pre-draft, because nobody bought him as a high usage/workload type of back. People saw more of an Austin Ekeler type of player in the receiving game. Now he's in the most dynamic offense in the league for the next 4-5 years, which clearly deserves increased value, but not to the level of RBs like Gurley, Fournette, and Zeke, who were being selected around the same area as rookies.

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:56 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:45 pm
PR0v3 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:45 pm Is his value inflated because of landing spot or was his value pre-draft deflated due to questions surrounding proper utilization of his skillset? Any coach can hand the ball off to a guy and ask him to run forward. Not every coach can scheme to get the ball in their playmakers hands through the air.
Either way, you're describing a player who was boosted by situation. If the Dolphins draft CEH at #30, is he still the 1.01? Probably not.

CEH is a solid player and arguably the best receiving back in this class. I think he was lower pre-draft, because nobody bought him as a high usage/workload type of back. People saw more of an Austin Ekeler type of player in the receiving game. Now he's in the most dynamic offense in the league for the next 4-5 years, which clearly deserves increased value, but not to the level of RBs like Gurley, Fournette, and Zeke, who were being selected around the same area as rookies.
Yes, it would be a boost due to situation, but if an undervalued player gets boosted to an appropriate valuation due to situation, who cares? The trap I don’t want to fall for is buying into a player who is overvalued due to situation.

If the Dolphins picked him at 1.30, I doubt he’d be the 1.01. I think he’d probably still just be undervalued. He’d have still been the first RB off the board, so the idea that the fantasy community incorrectly evaluated his talent pre-draft would be just as plausible as it is now.