CGW
Legend
Legend

Re: 2020 NFL Draft - Reactions & Analysis

Postby CGW » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:26 pm

alewilliam789 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:21 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:56 pm
alewilliam789 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:50 pm

Because in my personal opinion you don’t take a WR that basically played RB/QB in the third round of a deep WR draft even if he is a dynamic Swiss Army knife. They went with Edwards which wasn’t bad, but you wait on a player like Bowden until the 4th or 5th. Mayock is taking “his guys”, but I personally don’t think you are getting the full value of your 3rd rounder with that selection. Also I understand the need at WR, but are they under the impression that they are a WR away?
You also take the worse of the 3 top Alabama WRs 12th overall when they could have most likely traded back and still got him. If not they settle for Jeudy or Lamb which isn’t really missing out imo
Great, so because of your personal opinion, Mayock's job is on the line? LOL. You literally have no idea what you're talking about when you say you know when you can get guys. None.
Well clearly Mike Mayock doesn’t either considering where he took these players :boohoo:.
This isn’t directed at you FF as much as it is the other posts:
It astonishes me that these NFL franchise can’t invest in a data analyst to get better determining factors on the success of these WRs.

I’ll tell you common sense though without numbers:

If a WR is dominant and incredibly successful at the collegiate level they may have a better chance at doing it in the NFL.
If Ruggs had all those supremely talented skills that make him the best WR in the draft as he was drafted, why didn’t it manifest in him beating out Juedy and Smith from a production standpoint? Never surpassed 800 yards at the collegiate level.
If you respond they had 3 potential first rounders, why didn’t he ever surpass any of them to be a 1000 yard receiver?
I’m not going to sit here and say he’s a bum and that he doesn’t show ability and that he didn’t play in a crowded WR core, but if you are drafting your #1 they should have the dominant production and the undeniable skills on tape to go #12TH overall. Y opinion bleep on me as you will I’m getting In-n-out
Several of their picks were/could be reaches. Ruggs was not. He was very often mocked as the first WR. He was absolutely going early and they needed a WR or 3.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

skinfanjon
Role Player
Role Player

Postby skinfanjon » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:27 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:18 pm
skinfanjon wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:15 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:06 pm

The big analytics guys. I'm not too surprised. Just let it be, give it time to play out
LMAO...what?? I'm definitely not a big analytics guy. Just check my posting history if you feel like it. I've spent most of my time on this board debunking horrible analytics.

I can't tell...who in this discussion is BIG RAIDER FAN. I just can't tell where the bias might live.
It's the idea that you seem to know more than everybody, about draft capital, draft trading and knowledge about what players are good and bad that bothers me, not the fact that it's my team.
I've hedged all offseason on literally every prospect, but the time for that is over now that we have all the info. I'm putting down my chips. Sorry your team had a bad draft.

Everything I write is IMO obviously. My track record is pretty solid. Feel free to bump any of this whenever you feel like. Bring on a gotcha. I have very high confidence in my read this year, as opposed to last year when I couldn't figure out more than like 4 dudes.

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:53 pm

I’m not going to say I know it all. If Ruggs hit great for Mike Mayock. I am just of the opinion that Ruggs shouldn’t have been valued that highly by any team and I guess my expectation as an NFL GM is to use all the resources they have to create algorithms and pick values that give them better hit rates in the draft. To me Ruggs and Aiyuk are players that fit the archaic thinking of past/current NFL drafting so excuse me for the strong opinions. I’m sorry if I razzled some feathers
I may or may not be related to Bryan Edwards

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:08 pm

Fast players go high every year ...
@PlankMelody

Slackalacker
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Slackalacker » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:12 pm

Plank wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:08 pm Fast players go high every year ...
And most crash and burn.

But the ones who work out can be a huge difference maker.
TEAM 1 - 10 team SF 1PPR | 2017 & 2019 League Champ
1QB/1SF/2RB/2WR/1TE/2FLEX
QB: Dak - Hurts - DangeRuss - Tua - Z Wilson - Mills
RB: Barkley - Zeke - Sanders - Pollard - Patterson - D’Ernest - Jermar - Evans - Jones
WR: Hill - JJeff - Higgins - Hollywood - MThom(IR) - Godwin(IR) - E Moore - Marshall Jr - Calloway - Palmer - D Brown
TE: Hock - Moreau

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:15 pm

The 2020 receiver class lived up to the hype, as 13 went in the opening two rounds, surpassing the previous record of 12 set in 2014
Last edited by Cameron Giles on Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:16 pm

Slackalacker wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:12 pm
Plank wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:08 pm Fast players go high every year ...
And most crash and burn.

But the ones who work out can be a huge difference maker.
This 100%
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:18 pm

PR0v3 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:20 pm
IZigUZag wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:14 pm
PR0v3 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:12 pm

Not really, I compared their situations. However, Edwards is 1000x more comparable to Boykin than he is to Ruggs.
You can't compare the situations, though.. because Edwards is much, much more likely to hit than Boykins.

Who knows how the target distribution would've shaken out in BAL if Boykin were a better recevier.
I don’t really agree. Edwards was a third rounder, 16th WR off the draft board, and 3rd WR selected by his own damn team. The odds he hits is incredibly small, just like it was for Boykin. He might be far more likely to hit than Boykin in the sense that 3% is 6x more likely than .5%, but both are extreme longshots of doing anything and will be lucky to have a second contract.
Sure, if you squint real hard and ignore everything except draft capital.

Edwards broke out as a true freshman in the SEC (playing with Deebo Samuel and Hayden Hurst) was an infinitely more productive player than Boykin in college and was taken in the third in an incredibly deep WR class despite missing the Senior Bowl/Combine and woth a broken foot.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:25 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:08 pm
TimeWillTell wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:59 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:58 pm With NE having not taken a QB thus far, is Stidham the guy?
I'm starting to believe the rumor of a deep rebuild with goal of a QB next year
I suggested it months ago and was poo poo'ed, but it's looking more and more like it.
That was probably me haha, I thought there was no chance for a tank situation as their defence was just too good... Then they lost so many D players in free agency, I could see it happening now, at least for them to get low enough to make a big trade to move high enough for a top QB.

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:34 pm

just saying lynn bowden aint run no 4.3.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:38 pm

Krypto_King wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:34 pm just saying lynn bowden aint run no 4.3.
He ran a 4.38 out of highschool... and looks fast as hell on tape.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:56 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:18 pm
PR0v3 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:20 pm
IZigUZag wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:14 pm

You can't compare the situations, though.. because Edwards is much, much more likely to hit than Boykins.

Who knows how the target distribution would've shaken out in BAL if Boykin were a better recevier.
I don’t really agree. Edwards was a third rounder, 16th WR off the draft board, and 3rd WR selected by his own damn team. The odds he hits is incredibly small, just like it was for Boykin. He might be far more likely to hit than Boykin in the sense that 3% is 6x more likely than .5%, but both are extreme longshots of doing anything and will be lucky to have a second contract.
Sure, if you squint real hard and ignore everything except draft capital.

Edwards broke out as a true freshman in the SEC (playing with Deebo Samuel and Hayden Hurst) was an infinitely more productive player than Boykin in college and was taken in the third in an incredibly deep WR class despite missing the Senior Bowl/Combine and woth a broken foot.
Mayock said they view Bowden as a RB to start, and once he gets that down they will move him around a bit. Edwards should be their X, which Mayock said he drafted him to be. They were back to back picks, it's really not relevant who was first or 2nd, they weren't going to get sniped on either one.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:28 pm

With CEH in KC you may say it's a reach (or not) but understand they didn't pick again for a LONG time. It's take him there, or not get him, most likely, and he's a GREAT fit. I like it.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:50 am

wickerkat1212 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:28 pm With CEH in KC you may say it's a reach (or not) but understand they didn't pick again for a LONG time. It's take him there, or not get him, most likely, and he's a GREAT fit. I like it.
I agree with that. They picked for scheme fit, and it's not that outlandish. They like to get fast players in space and let them work. A receiving back is what they wanted and he is largely viewed as the best receiving back with a decent all around skill set. Sure, I think there are several more talented backs than CEH, but he's a great team fit and unless they traded up into the early/mid second they couldn't have waited any longer.

Same goes for Ruggs. Sure I like several talents better, but the raiders knew he wouldn't make it much beyond where he was. Ruggs is a good fit to this offense that needed a weapon badly.

I'd venture to say these teams don't use magic formulas to make many draft decisions. It may be a small part of what they consider, but breakout ages, dominator ratings, etc were made up by fantasy players to attempt to explain success in the NFL. The problem is, athletes and the NFL game are rapidly changing as they get stronger, faster, bigger, and the rules are shifted to allow different game schemes. These NFL coaches and GMs know their team and goals better than any magic formula... so let's wait and see how these picks pan out.

Except green bay. They obviously had a historically stupid draft...its ok to blast them.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

Dynos
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Dynos » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:54 am

Is it me or d'andre swift situation is like aj brown situation last year?

Viewed as one the top wr of the draft, go in a bad situation and then during the season the talent overcome situation. I picked him with my 2.4.
2019 Champion! 2022 Champion!

Team 1: Superflex, Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 flex WR/TE,1 Sflex

QB:P. Mahomes, R.Tannehill, J.Hurts
RB: E.Elliott,James Robinson, Chris Carson, L.Fournette, T.Etienne , Tony Pollard,hassan haskins,donta foreman, jaylen warren
WR: Justin Jefferson A.J Brown, M.Thomas, Marquise Brown, T.Lockett, skyy moore, romeo doubs, alec pierce Donovan Peoples-Jones, J.Palmer
TE: kyle pitts, juwan johnson,mckitty

2021 Champion!
Team 2: Superflex, Start 1Qb, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex Wr/TE. 1 SFlex, 1 Flex RB/WR/TE
QB: J.Herbert, Z.Wilson, K.Cousins, K.Pickett,K.Mond
RB: J.Taylor, JK Dobbins, N.Harris, N.Hines, G.Edwards, James Cook, J.Ford, Dameon Pierce, P.Strong, D.Foreman (Jermaine Burton Devy)
WR: J.Chase,Garett Wilson , B.Aiyuk, C.Sutton, R.Bateman, G.Davis, M.Hardman,J.Palmer,
TE: D.Waller R.Tonyan, B.Jordan, Cameron Brate, Cade Otton, G.Everett