2020 Rookie Synopsis - The Wide Receivers

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: 2020 Rookie Synopsis - The Wide Receivers

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:19 pm

Ghosted wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:16 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:57 pm I noticed earlier you didn't have Higgins on the list. Any reason for that? I figured he was in pretty much everyone's top 10. Just curious. Thanks again for all the write ups
he's 11, I just forgot to bold his name. Thanks for catching it
Hahaha my bad. Scrolling too fast looking for names lol that's how you know it's in depth. Thank you, sir

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:48 am

Some solid validation on that Pittman ranking from the draft. Unfortunate for those of us who were looking to get him with an early 2nd tho lol. Hate those situations where last week my league mates would have mocked me for reaching Pittman at 2.01, now looks like he won’t even be there....

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:21 am

dustyroads wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:48 am Some solid validation on that Pittman ranking from the draft. Unfortunate for those of us who were looking to get him with an early 2nd tho lol. Hate those situations where last week my league mates would have mocked me for reaching Pittman at 2.01, now looks like he won’t even be there....
I was hoping for Cinci the pick before, but I liked the Indy spot. I respect Ballard so that was some validation i guess haha. I don't think many have moved him up (especially considering the landing spots of some of the tier 2 guys).

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:15 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:20 pm Love it!! Surprised to see Pittman at 3, but I love the different take. I also saw some things I liked with him but never jumped him into the 2nd tier.
...he's in my 2nd tier now. After watching him more, I like what I see. The hands, good routes, big size and decent enough speed (especially at 6'4). Also a plus in the run blocking game, which suits Indy well and I've heard reports that he's an A+ teammate; I noticed a bit of 2nd efforts on plays that he could've taken off. Even cleaning up some of Darnolds mistakes lol

OP mentions a lack of toughness after the catch (going down with first defender). While I agree with that, I also think he displays good agility after the catch to pick up those extra yards still. Pittman and Higgins both profile similar as big body targets. Higgins uses some of that toughness after catch but doesn't have the footwork Pittman has in my opinion.

Main concern is the later breakout age and coming out as a senior though. I think he has what it takes to be an NFL player for a long time.. hopefully it translates to fantasy success

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Fri May 01, 2020 4:12 am

Jigga94 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:15 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:20 pm Love it!! Surprised to see Pittman at 3, but I love the different take. I also saw some things I liked with him but never jumped him into the 2nd tier.
...he's in my 2nd tier now. After watching him more, I like what I see. The hands, good routes, big size and decent enough speed (especially at 6'4). Also a plus in the run blocking game, which suits Indy well and I've heard reports that he's an A+ teammate; I noticed a bit of 2nd efforts on plays that he could've taken off. Even cleaning up some of Darnolds mistakes lol

OP mentions a lack of toughness after the catch (going down with first defender). While I agree with that, I also think he displays good agility after the catch to pick up those extra yards still. Pittman and Higgins both profile similar as big body targets. Higgins uses some of that toughness after catch but doesn't have the footwork Pittman has in my opinion.

Main concern is the later breakout age and coming out as a senior though. I think he has what it takes to be an NFL player for a long time.. hopefully it translates to fantasy success
Totally fair assessment. I had similar concerns with his breakout age. Some of that was mitigated by just how translatable I think his skills are that should lead to him generating a good amount of next-level targets. I don't think he has the ceiling of Reagor, or maybe even Jefferson (in that tier), but he's so much safer imho. Although, I did see a snippet from Harmon saying he didn't believe Jefferson would have any issue winning on the outside in the NFL and that was my biggest concern with him. Tough group for me to separate atm.

Factory of Sadness
Starter
Starter

Postby Factory of Sadness » Fri May 01, 2020 4:33 am

Great write-ups. The only thing I'd mention is that evaluating college WRs vs press now is a little like evaluating college backs in pass pro. If they can't handle it in the NFL then they won't play, but they do it so rarely that it's often misleading to ding them for it.

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Fri May 01, 2020 5:10 am

Factory of Sadness wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 4:33 am Great write-ups. The only thing I'd mention is that evaluating college WRs vs press now is a little like evaluating college backs in pass pro. If they can't handle it in the NFL then they won't play, but they do it so rarely that it's often misleading to ding them for it.
Yes and no. PFF actually does a pretty good job of tracking win percentages vs. press man and off-man. Most of your primary option receivers at the X and Y are seeing press man around 30-50% of their routes. I do struggle some with evaluating slot weapons in that vein though, to your point. Maybe there's data out there to show some coorelation there, not sure. Most of my evaluations come from strictly film study and that by itself is inherently flawed, I think.

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Sat May 02, 2020 6:47 am

"What I liked: Juedy holds the highest grade I've placed on a receiver since Julio/Green entered the league, and he is my overall 1.1 in "

So if you had 1.1 in this draft right now, that's who you are taking?
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sat May 02, 2020 5:52 pm

I just got Pittman after he somehow slipped into the 3rd round in my rookie draft and came here looking for some validation on the pick. Michael Thomas is very high praise.

I also have Jeudy over Lamb by a bit. His floor is just so high

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Sun May 03, 2020 6:49 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:52 pm I just got Pittman after he somehow slipped into the 3rd round in my rookie draft and came here looking for some validation on the pick. Michael Thomas is very high praise.

Nice, I think he's going to be the best value in drafts this year. And for sure, player comps can get tricky sometimes (I almost considered dropping them). But when I compared the notes I had on Thomas (who was also undervalued in his class), they had a lot of similar strengths.

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Sun May 03, 2020 6:52 am

joeya2001 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:47 am "What I liked: Juedy holds the highest grade I've placed on a receiver since Julio/Green entered the league, and he is my overall 1.1 in "

So if you had 1.1 in this draft right now, that's who you are taking?
Pre-draft, for sure. I think CEH and Taylor locked in to perfect spots, so he's probably in around 1.3 currently for me. Sutton is his perfect complement and I think he'll have a very similar early career arc as Keenan Allen (provided he receives adequate QB play. Couldn't argue with anyone preferring the other backs in that spot, though.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun May 03, 2020 7:33 am

Ghosted wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:49 am
StripesOfKC wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:52 pm I just got Pittman after he somehow slipped into the 3rd round in my rookie draft and came here looking for some validation on the pick. Michael Thomas is very high praise.

Nice, I think he's going to be the best value in drafts this year. And for sure, player comps can get tricky sometimes (I almost considered dropping them). But when I compared the notes I had on Thomas (who was also undervalued in his class), they had a lot of similar strengths.
I still have Jeudy as my 1.01 as well. If I had that pick, I wouldn't take him there, only because I know I can move down and draft him lower while collecting assets. It's really a win-win.

Like you, I see so many traits of the premier route runners and separators in this league: Michael Thomas, DaVante Adams, some Stefon Diggs...

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Thu May 21, 2020 7:47 pm

Looking at this thread again pittman did actually go to the perfect offense for him. I will be taking him everywhere except if jeudy, lamb or ruggs are sitting there.

CL3VELANDBR0WNS
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby CL3VELANDBR0WNS » Mon May 25, 2020 12:35 pm

Anyone out there have Mims and Pittman ahead of Jeudy, Ruggs, & Reagor?
I'm in a weird predicament picking 9 in one league but I think the board will fall in a way that all these options will be available to me. If Jefferson slips through the cracks I would smash the mouse there.

My hang-up with Jeudy is that I have trouble seeing a path to touches, especially if a giant Sutton ascension really is happening. Feel like Ruggs is even worse in a likely run heavy offense with numerous other options with the same skill set. I think that the targets will be there for Reagor but I always have trouble taking a player that tiny with a top 10 pick amongst other concerns. I don't think he will straight up suck in the box score because the touches will be there but I don't know if he has top 15 WR upside.

I have questions about Pittman with his late breakout but he did play well during his final 2 seasons and the size/speed profile is tremendous. I have little to no concerns about Mims and feel similar about him as I did with Godwin a few years ago. If he just would've got taken 20 picks earlier on a team that isn't the Jets I wouldn't have issues making this choice.

I could try to trade up and get one of the two guys I feel is a sure thing or I could try to trade down and throw darts at both Pittman & Mims. Anyone else having mid-late 1st round headaches?

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon May 25, 2020 1:12 pm

CL3VELANDBR0WNS wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:35 pm Anyone out there have Mims and Pittman ahead of Jeudy, Ruggs, & Reagor?
I'm in a weird predicament picking 9 in one league but I think the board will fall in a way that all these options will be available to me. If Jefferson slips through the cracks I would smash the mouse there.

My hang-up with Jeudy is that I have trouble seeing a path to touches, especially if a giant Sutton ascension really is happening. Feel like Ruggs is even worse in a likely run heavy offense with numerous other options with the same skill set. I think that the targets will be there for Reagor but I always have trouble taking a player that tiny with a top 10 pick amongst other concerns. I don't think he will straight up suck in the box score because the touches will be there but I don't know if he has top 15 WR upside.

I have questions about Pittman with his late breakout but he did play well during his final 2 seasons and the size/speed profile is tremendous. I have little to no concerns about Mims and feel similar about him as I did with Godwin a few years ago. If he just would've got taken 20 picks earlier on a team that isn't the Jets I wouldn't have issues making this choice.

I could try to trade up and get one of the two guys I feel is a sure thing or I could try to trade down and throw darts at both Pittman & Mims. Anyone else having mid-late 1st round headaches?
I have Pittman and Mims ahead of Reagor and Ruggs, but not Jeudy. The Sutton ascension is going to hit a wall with the Shurmur led offense and Lock throwing passes. If you look at the games where Lock started, Sutton was on pace for just under 900 yards over a full season. DaeSean Hamilton was the big beneficiary (average per game went from almost nothing to around 40 yards per game) and he played the slot. I anticipate Shurmur continuing that trend and leaning on his slot guy as he has at most of his previous stops (see Theilen, JMatt & Amendola) and Jeudy is miles ahead of Hamilton in terms of skill so I expect a fairly significant improvement on Hamilton’s numbers.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker