Percy Harvin!?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
QuintorrisLopezJones
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Harvin

Postby QuintorrisLopezJones » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:03 am

ShowMe wrote:He's a big-play threat EVERY time he touches the ball, much like J Charles is. That was evident tonight on the KO return touchdown. He made cuts without losing much, if any, speed. That's a very rare trait to have.

In his first 3 seasons the games missed were due SOLELY to the concussion issues, which appear to be behind him at this point, so it's a bit misleading to state that he has played a full 16 only once in 5 years. If SEA uses him correctly in 2014 by playing him in the slot and creating mismatches, he will easily be a fantasy WR2 in this offense. S Rice has probably played his last down in SEA and the highly inconsistent G Tate doesn't have much of a future there either. I would use this info if I wanted to sell him. I could sell if the price is right, but I also have no problem holding either.
Not sure how you can say his concussion issues appear to be behind him? He played what, a quarter of the game against the Saints and missed the NFC Championship because of another concussion?
10 Team League .5 PPR QB, 3WR, 2RB, TE, 2FLEX, K, DEF
QB: Brees, Big Ben, Watson
WR: Julio Jones, AJ Green, Alshon Jeffery, DeVante Parker,Sammy Watkins, Michael Crabtree, Agholor
RB: Le'Veon Bell, Todd Gurley, Fournette, Lynch, Conner
TE: Travis Kelce , Hooper, Doyle
K: Bryant
DEF: JAX

DLFiend
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DLFiend » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:15 am

Harvin's only had one concussion. I think he meant migraines.

PPE82
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby PPE82 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:17 am

DLFiend wrote:Harvin's only had one concussion. I think he meant migraines.
Thanks, I was just going to point this out. Harvins missed a couple of games early in his career because of migraines - not concussions. To the best of my knowledge, he's only missed 1 game due to concussion and that was this year.

By all accounts the migraines are a thing of the past, so that is no longer a concern.
Team 1
12 Team, SF, PPR, TEP (2PPR)
1-2QB, 2-6RB, 2-6WR, 1-5TE
10 starters, 28 roster spots

Kyler Murray, Rudolph, Brissett, Brady
Keaton Mitchell, scrubs
Jefferson, Lamb, Waddle, DeVonta Smith, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Dotson, Josh Palmer, Rashid Shaheed, Toney, Justyn Ross, Metchie, Ronnie Bell
Pitts, Likely
2024 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 2.09, 4.02, 4.12

Team 2
12 Team, SF, PPR, TEP (2PPR)
1-2QB, 2-5RB, 3-6WR, 1-4TE
10 starters, 28 roster spots

Lawrence, Richardson, Young, Mac Jones, Lance, Brady, Bennnet, Haener
Bijan, Charbonnet, Strong Jr., scrubs
Wilson, Nacua, Flowers, Downs, Wicks, Renfrow, Ross, Bell, Metchie
Pitts, Woods
2024 Picks: 1.02, 1.05, 1.06, 1.11, 3.05, 3.06, 3.09, 4.02, 4.09

RonW15
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RonW15 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:28 am

The problem with Harvin as I understand it isn't that he's more likely to get injured, it's that he's less likely to play through injury than other players. Emmit smith played with a separated shoulder, Donovan Mcnabb played with a broken ankle, phillip Rivers played with a torn ACL and Harvin can't play with a migraine. I'd hate to be his owner when he misses two games next year with diarrhea
12 Team 20 man Roster PPR League
QBs R. Wilson, Kaepernick, Locker
RBs A. Morris, Hunter, R. Williams
WRs AJ Green, D. Thomas, V. Jackson, V. Brown, K. Wright, Givens, A.J. Jenkins, Kerley, Quick, T.Young
TEs Fleener, Gonzalez
PK Barth
DEF Jets
2009 Champion, 2011 Champion, 2012 Runner Up

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:42 am

RonW15 wrote:The problem with Harvin as I understand it isn't that he's more likely to get injured, it's that he's less likely to play through injury than other players. Emmit smith played with a separated shoulder, Donovan Mcnabb played with a broken ankle, phillip Rivers played with a torn ACL and Harvin can't play with a migraine. I'd hate to be his owner when he misses two games next year with diarrhea
I'm sorry, but this is obviously written by someone who has never experienced a migraine. When you can't see because of pain and the neurological effects of a migraine, how do you play football? The pain of a broken bone is not quite the same as a migraine. I tend to believe that it is better to take a year off to heal up your injury than have lingering problems that inhibit you for the rest of the year. There is a definite recency bias with fantasy owners and injury IMO.

smythep
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby smythep » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:27 am

RonW15 wrote:The problem with Harvin as I understand it isn't that he's more likely to get injured, it's that he's less likely to play through injury than other players. Emmit smith played with a separated shoulder, Donovan Mcnabb played with a broken ankle, phillip Rivers played with a torn ACL and Harvin can't play with a migraine. I'd hate to be his owner when he misses two games next year with diarrhea
Get the hell out of here with that bs. Unless you've experienced a full migraine before you don't have a right to complain about him missing a game because of one. When I get my migraines I can hardly see. Standing up will probably lead to throwing up. I can't imagine getting hit in the head (or at all). Please get out of here with that weak sauce.

DLFiend
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DLFiend » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:28 am

b...b...b...but he's only played a full season one time!

aaroneous
Captain
Captain

Postby aaroneous » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:14 pm

Beyond the previously stated responses regarding your problem with his migraines, the real concern appears to be that given the way he plays the game he makes himself very susceptible to injuries. Harvin isn't afraid to take a hit and he lays it all on the line. While I love that as a football fan, I get worried that he is less worried about the long term and more worried about having an impact on the short term. These concerns are the same with my concerns with Gronk, although I have quite a number of others there. These reasons are why I know I will never own him in a league.
Team 1 -12 team ppr league - 23 man roster/4 man TS - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 TE

QB Rivers, Kaepernick
RB Foster, Peterson, Spiller, Khiry Robinson, Riddick,
WR Demayrius, James Jones, Crabtree, Dobson, Boyce, Holmes, Malcolm Floyd, Goodwin
TE Cameron, Pitta, Bostick, Kelce, Griffin

2014: 2.01, 2.03, 2.04, 2.09, 2.10; 3.01, 3.02, 3.04, 3.05, 3.09

Team 2 - 12 team ppr - 21 man roster/4 man TS - 1QB 2-4RB 2-4WR 1-3TE 1 DST 1 K
QB - Romo, Vick
RB - Lamar, Greene, Woodhead, Pierre Thomas, Daniel Thomas, Helu
WR - Gordon, Jeffery, Floyd, Cruz, Bailey, Blackmon, Britt, Holmes, Patton, Steve Smith
TE - Green, Witten, Robinson
2014: 1.08, 2.05, 3.08, 4.05

Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/a_swinderman

Payton34
Captain
Captain

Postby Payton34 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Bottom line though is that IF you were looking to off-load him, now would probably be a good time. Someone out there will value him highly...
12 teams, 6pts all TDs, 1/2 pt PPR. 1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D, 2 FLEX RB/WR/TE

QBs - P Mahomes,
RBs - Bijan, J Jacobs, K Walker, B Hall,
WRs - AJ Brown, J Waddle, DJ Moore, T Higgins, D London, Smith-Njigba, J Downs, AT Perry
TEs - D Kincaid, Musgrave
Ks - Boswell, McPherson
Ds - Texans, Jets

2024 - 3 1st rounders... Picks 1.5, 1.7, 1.11… 1 2nd 2.17… 1 3rd 3.31…

smythep
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby smythep » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:57 pm

Payton34 wrote:Bottom line though is that IF you were looking to off-load him, now would probably be a good time. Someone out there will value him highly...
That might be your bottom line. I disagree

tackling dummies
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby tackling dummies » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:00 pm

Aside from the injuries, my primary question is the amount of targets in a perfect world that he'd be looking at. There's no magic target number, but if he's in the 125-140 target range, I'd be loving it.

seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby seahawks506 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:15 pm

You have to wait until they resign or let Tate go first
orphan rebuild- 3 superflex, nerfed QB scoring 0.5/1/1.5 wr/rb/te PPR
QB: Hurts, Dobbs, Lance, Huntley, Bagent
RB: Swift, Kamara, Sanders, K. Mitchell, Foreman, CEH, Dowdle, Demercado
WR: Lamb, AJB, DK, Hollywood, Jakobi, Lazard, Boyd, Shaheed, Douglas
TE: Chig, Juwan, Conklin, Taysom, Smythe
Picks: 3 2024 2nds

rebuild 2: 1QB PPR
QB: Richardson, Pickett, Mayfield
RB: Achane, E Mitchell, Demercado
WR: Chase, Addison, QJ, J Palmer, Wan'Dale, Claypool, Douglas, Metchie
TE: Kittle, Mayer, Otton, Ferguson
Picks: 3 2024 1sts, 2 2024 2nds

zounder
Role Player
Role Player

Postby zounder » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:17 pm

Harvin missed exactly -one- game due to migraines, guys. He missed three games in the first three and a half years of his career, only one was a migraine issue. Look it up if you don't believe me. I can't believe how often misinformation is thrown around about him missing games due to migraines. He played through it all but one game.
-Nick Canzanese
@FF_NickCanz

tackling dummies
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby tackling dummies » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:19 pm

seahawks506 wrote:You have to wait until they resign or let Tate go first
I get it and apologies to Doug Baldwin and the rest of the WRs, but Harvin is the sun that they revolve around.

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:37 pm

Zounder wrote:Harvin missed exactly -one- game due to migraines, guys. He missed three games in the first three and a half years of his career, only one was a migraine issue. Look it up if you don't believe me. I can't believe how often misinformation is thrown around about him missing games due to migraines. He played through it all but one game.
I'm so glad there's at least one other person out there not completely and totally clueless about Harvin's migraine history.