Gronk Thread: Gronkowski to Tampa Bay!

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
KCLep20
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Gronk value smashed?

Postby KCLep20 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:30 am

I wasn’t going to take less than a 1st because he could still help me bring home the ‘ship this year. No point to risk that for an2nd but I totally get why nobody is giving up a 1st for him.

He will likely retire on my roster, similar to Megatron. I’m just glad I prepared for the decline with OJ
1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex (RB/WR/TE)/1 Superflex (QB/RB/WR/TE)
'Ships: 2008, 2017, 2019, 2021; 2nd place: 2010, 2014, 2018, 2022
12 team PPR with 14 Keepers/year
2023 Draft Picks: 1.04, 1.05, 1.11, 3.04, 3.07, 5.04
QB: L.Jackson, J. Burrow, G. Minshew, J. Winston
RB: J.Mixon, ETN, Jav.Williams, J.Conner, Z.Moss, JK Dobbins (IR), N.Chubb (IR)
WR: AJB, CD Lamb, DK, C.Sutton
TE: M.Andrews, T.McBride, I. Likely

DynastyDeepDive
Starter
Starter

Postby DynastyDeepDive » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:36 am

Any player approaching 30 should be moved in dynasty for younger talent. Gronk should have been moved last year.
In too many leagues to list players. Check out my Dynasty Deep Dive!

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:07 am

jtsmalls wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:36 am Any player approaching 30 should be moved in dynasty for younger talent. Gronk should have been moved last year.
Would have sucked if you moved Brady at 30

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:25 am

jtsmalls wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:36 am Any player approaching 30 should be moved in dynasty for younger talent. Gronk should have been moved last year.
I don't necessarily agree with this.

There are certain players that you just let retire on your roster. For example, I will probably have AB until the day he retires barring a huge payment which is unlikely to happen.

People get scared off by age - and very often these players become more valuable to you than what people are willing to pay.

The key is to have a good mix of "older" high performers and youth so you have a contingency plan in place.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:58 am

Phaded wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:25 am

There are certain players that you just let retire on your roster. For example, I will probably have AB until the day he retires barring a huge payment which is unlikely to happen.

People get scared off by age - and very often these players become more valuable to you than what people are willing to pay.

The key is to have a good mix of "older" high performers and youth so you have a contingency plan in place.
Our philosophies align again my man. I owe titles to older vets nobody in my league wanted, even while producing at a high level. NY Jets Matt Forte, Michael Crabtree, Emmanuel Sanders this year, etc. Cheaply acquiring these types of guys continues to be an advantage point in my league.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:53 am

I agree with above. Cant just trade everyone away at 30. Also gotta look for those old guys that you can get for cheap. I bet Matt Forte that year was cheap as hell just like Manny is and always has been

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:55 am

I understand the idea, but it's not that easy. Imagine if you traded A.J. Green a few years ago for DeVante Parker++. Now, you're left with nothing. But hey, at least you're younger now! Yeah!

Age isn't everything in dynasty. It doesn't make you more likely to win in a given season, though it does give you more chances if your young players sustain their production. It'll be interesting to see how long Gronk plays with all of these injuries though.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:52 am

I said earlier this year Gronk looks finished. He isnt separating like he used to. Doesnt look as explosive or physical. His injury list is about a mile long. Plus he can make money in marketing, or wrestling, or a variety of other things with his looks and personality.

This is who Gronk had always been in terms of injuries. You just put up with it because 10 games of Gronk was still the TE1. It looks like all the injuries having finally taken their toll.

DynastyDeepDive
Starter
Starter

Postby DynastyDeepDive » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:05 am

Sure, there are exceptions to the 30 rule. Given Gronk's injury history, savvy owners would have cashed in already.

DynastyDeepDive
Starter
Starter

Postby DynastyDeepDive » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:06 am

QB's are the exception too of course.

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:46 am

Phaded wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:25 am

X2, will likely being doing that with AJ Green
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:10 am

I am hoping others can confirm or deny - but I've been hearing reports that the 2019 class is going to be a pretty weak one at TE - ie reminiscent of 2015.

As such, Gronk for all his risk, might be a safer bet than expecting any production from a 2019 TE rookie next year.

Obviously if you're deep at TE even if moving Gronk, then that is not a concern. But if what you have Gronk & a couple of TE2s ... holding onto Gronk may be the better bet rather than cashing out for whatever a depressed market can get.

This could actually be the time where risk friendly owners with strong depth could make a play for Gronk.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:32 am

ArrylT wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:10 am I am hoping others can confirm or deny - but I've been hearing reports that the 2019 class is going to be a pretty weak one at TE - ie reminiscent of 2015.

As such, Gronk for all his risk, might be a safer bet than expecting any production from a 2019 TE rookie next year.

Obviously if you're deep at TE even if moving Gronk, then that is not a concern. But if what you have Gronk & a couple of TE2s ... holding onto Gronk may be the better bet rather than cashing out for whatever a depressed market can get.

This could actually be the time where risk friendly owners with strong depth could make a play for Gronk.
Agreed. I moved my only share of Gronk last week, but wasn't considering a pick in return. I ended up trading him straight up for Ebron, which is a trade I think most will look at and say I lost... but I went for the guy that's passed my eye test better this season :thumbup:

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:37 am

Blueboy wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:32 am
ArrylT wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:10 am I am hoping others can confirm or deny - but I've been hearing reports that the 2019 class is going to be a pretty weak one at TE - ie reminiscent of 2015.

Agreed. I moved my only share of Gronk last week, but wasn't considering a pick in return. I ended up trading him straight up for Ebron, which is a trade I think most will look at and say I lost... but I went for the guy that's passed my eye test better this season :thumbup:
I was actually going to mention Ebron as a target owners should considering trying to move to from Gronk - especially considering some of the dislike for Ebron keeping his price depressed. I have no problem with your trade :)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:39 am

ArrylT wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:37 am
Blueboy wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:32 am

I was actually going to mention Ebron as a target owners should considering trying to move to from Gronk - especially considering some of the dislike for Ebron keeping his price depressed. I have no problem with your trade :)
I dunno that Ebron's value will be depressed all that much longer. Two TDs in the 1st quarter :shock: