Thoughts on Rashaad Penny?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Thoughts on Rashaad Penny?

Postby nathanq42 » Mon May 03, 2021 8:59 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:30 am
nathanq42 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:20 am 5th year option gets declined... Not looking good... Going to be a big year for him. Make or break... Looking like it won't happen though
not unexpected given all the injuries. i don't think it means much, he's still the RB2 on that team and can play if he stays healthy.
Oh certainly he is #2, but it would have been a nice sentiment of "it's been tough but we know this guy is worth the extra year" had he got the extension
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon May 03, 2021 10:39 am

Plenty of teams decline the 5th year option on players because that money is guaranteed. Even if the player is injured. Since Penny has been perennially injured during his career, it makes sense for Seattle to take a wait-and-see approach with him. The Hawks also pretty notorious for not exercising players' 5th year option.

Just because they declined the option doesn't necessarily mean this is Penny's last year with the team. Should he stay healthy and perform well, it's just as likely they sign him to some sort of deal next offseason. We'll just have to see how 2021 plays out.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon May 03, 2021 10:48 am

It made no sense for them to guarantee his 5th year salary. If they want him back they will have a chance to sign him cheaper in free agency unless he manages to absolutely ball out this year.

I'm not super optimistic, but I hope he is able to stay healthy and make something of his remaining career.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Mon May 03, 2021 11:00 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:11 pm Somebody said it already, but all he really had was speed. I don’t care what any coach says, adding 16 pounds to somebody’s frame and only a few of months is an extremely negative thing, not positive. Pete Carroll is an idiot.
I said this in 2018. You don't draft a kid and then change him to be something he's not. Making players put extra weight and stress on their frame, especially as a small RB, is never a good thing.

I feel bad for Penny. I think he could have been successful in a number of different programs. Seattle was never a good fit for him.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Mon May 03, 2021 11:37 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:00 am
dlf_mikeh wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:11 pm Somebody said it already, but all he really had was speed. I don’t care what any coach says, adding 16 pounds to somebody’s frame and only a few of months is an extremely negative thing, not positive. Pete Carroll is an idiot.
I said this in 2018. You don't draft a kid and then change him to be something he's not. Making players put extra weight and stress on their frame, especially as a small RB, is never a good thing.

I feel bad for Penny. I think he could have been successful in a number of different programs. Seattle was never a good fit for him.
Oddly enough penny came into the league at a solid size too! 220 or so at the combine and out up a really good 40 time.

Also another odd point, they completely change Chris Carson's style of running from a Bell wannabe, to the bruiser he is today and it has been greatly successful.

I think this land's at Penny's feet for not taking care of himself well enough in preparation which has been a factor in his inability to remain healthy (obviously the end of 2019 is a fluke that could happen to anyone, but before that he was never the picture of health either)

Here's to hoping he can add some zip to our offense. Him and Carson should be facing light boxes with all the speed we have at WR (what a terrible pick Eskridge was... A small fast WR is not what the doctor ordered...)
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:18 pm

He’s still better than Guice, Royce Freeman, Kerryon Johnson...and probably Rojo and Sony too.
Ugh, that 2018 fantasy 1st round had a bunch of land mines.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon May 03, 2021 12:58 pm

They tried to turn him into a grinder which he is not. I mean Penny is responsible too for letting his weight get out of control. But pennys value was always that he was “ok” between the tackles but a plus in the receiving game... but they never threw him the ball and only ran him up the middle. Injuries didn’t help things. Just unfortunate all around.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon May 03, 2021 1:10 pm

sugbear65 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:18 pm He’s still better than Guice, Royce Freeman, Kerryon Johnson...and probably Rojo and Sony too.
RB is so feast or famine. Doesn't seem like a lot of players who are just ok last.

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Tue May 04, 2021 5:52 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:10 pm
sugbear65 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:18 pm He’s still better than Guice, Royce Freeman, Kerryon Johnson...and probably Rojo and Sony too.
RB is so feast or famine. Doesn't seem like a lot of players who are just ok last.
yup and it shows.
22 of the top 40 on adp are rbs. And they go early in that too.
then it plummets 40-60 range of adp has 11! rbs in it total

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue May 04, 2021 8:14 pm

Land mine is one thing but calling him better than some of those RBs is a hell of a twig to stand on. If they were FAs, how would NFL teams approach them? How would fans respond if signing them to an equivalent contract? I think RoJo would get more NFL interest hands down, and I think Kerryon and Royce could as well. I think Sony could get some flier interest, but Penny only would if trying to unleash that speed. I could see both Michel and Penny struggling to be on the same team they sign that flier contract with 10 months later.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed May 05, 2021 4:16 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:14 pm
Land mine is one thing but calling him better than some of those RBs is a hell of a twig to stand on. If they were FAs, how would NFL teams approach them? How would fans respond if signing them to an equivalent contract? I think RoJo would get more NFL interest hands down, and I think Kerryon and Royce could as well. I think Sony could get some flier interest, but Penny only would if trying to unleash that speed. I could see both Michel and Penny struggling to be on the same team they sign that flier contract with 10 months later.
I'll give you Rojo. I think if anyone wanted any of Kerryon, Royce, or Sony the past couple seasons, they could have traded for them for dirt cheap. I expect Penny will have a bigger (but not big) market than those guys if he looks like he's recovered from the 2019 injury.

Anyway, that 2018 class that looked like Christmas for RBs definitely had a lot of coal. Remember Chubb falling because of bad landing spot? Good times 😂.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed May 05, 2021 8:03 am

Penny was one of my biggest swing and miss players ever.

I hate this thread :x
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Wed May 05, 2021 8:15 am

Ice wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:03 am Penny was one of my biggest swing and miss players ever.

I hate this thread :x
Same here. He's got one last shot. He truly looked spectacular in the 3 healthy games he got meaningful snaps near the end of 2019 before hyperextending his knee. Plus he has maintained a healthy 5 ypc (on limited volume) throughout his career. Outside of Chubb I dont know if I'd be any happier with another RB from that draft TBH.

So here's to hoping, but I doubt he turns into a high end fantasy asset at this point.
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed May 05, 2021 6:42 pm

ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:16 am
Pullo Vision wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:14 pm
I'll give you Rojo. I think if anyone wanted any of Kerryon, Royce, or Sony the past couple seasons, they could have traded for them for dirt cheap. I expect Penny will have a bigger (but not big) market than those guys if he looks like he's recovered from the 2019 injury.

Anyway, that 2018 class that looked like Christmas for RBs definitely had a lot of coal. Remember Chubb falling because of bad landing spot? Good times 😂.
I don't know about the ability to buy cheap but we're gonna see what teams think of him with Kerryon Johnson getting waived. Add the report/rumor/speculation that Michel could lose his roster spot to Stevenson, and Penny might have a significant lead on them- or be joining them.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Fri May 07, 2021 2:23 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:58 pm

They tried to turn him into a grinder which he is not. I mean Penny is responsible too for letting his weight get out of control. But pennys value was always that he was “ok” between the tackles but a plus in the receiving game... but they never threw him the ball and only ran him up the middle. Injuries didn’t help things. Just unfortunate all around.
Agree, he was far more Reggie Bush than anywhere near a hammer like Marshawn or Carson. Doh!
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -