Thoughts on Rashaad Penny?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Thoughts on Rashaad Penny?

Postby kadun2 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:35 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:45 am A zone back drafted into a power system. I never liked it from day one. They forced him to put more weight on his frame and learn power, he came away with an injury instead. I feel bad for the kid.

Could you imagine if the Seahawks were the ones to draft JT? I thought about this the other day and it makes sense. He'd fit the system perfectly and would DOMINATE with this team. Then the Seahawks could trade Penny and roll with RBBC (Carson) for a bit before making JT full time.

I'm dreaming though.
Funny how a dream can turn into a nightmare depending on if you own Penny or not :lol: . Of course, like you said, Penny could be traded to a team that features him (yeah, right).
I hope for a quick recovery and an even better adjustment to the power system for Penny. Maybe he can shed a little weight too so as not to be so injury prone :pray:

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:47 am

MrUbuto wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:19 pm Hes looked great when fed the ball and not injured.

I think he is a great buy low candidate
I agree somewhat. He has a career 5+ YPC, you can't say he's been bad. However, history has shown if he's gonna be legit, he'll likely have to break out this year. And since he'll start out slow from injury and Carson, it will have to be a Derrick-Henry type of breakout later in the year. 4th year breakouts do happen but much more rare.

The Seahawks screwed Penny, let's just call it what it is. But Penny also did himself no favors. He was carrying around extra weight, reportedly didn't handle small injuries well, etc. The ironic thing is I thought since Penny already had an older brother in the NFL that would be a real asset to him, and he'd come in ready to roll already knowing the ropes. I think he's really talented, very quick feet for a guy his size with breakaway speed, but often it's whats between the ears that matters most. And that's something that's very hard to judge sometimes.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:04 am

The only coach speak I ever really pay attention to is the negative stuff. These coaches go out of their way to glorify players just hoping to stroke their ego a bit and build confidence. Carroll is the king of coach speak.

When I saw nothing but negative about how penny couldn't grasp the playbook and came to camp overweight and out of shape, it threw up big red flags for me. He's fun to watch, but obviously lacked something mentally coming into the league. He's up against the wall with this injury. Probably his last chance to be a solid fantasy asset.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:17 pm

CGW wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:04 am The only coach speak I ever really pay attention to is the negative stuff. These coaches go out of their way to glorify players just hoping to stroke their ego a bit and build confidence. Carroll is the king of coach speak.

When I saw nothing but negative about how penny couldn't grasp the playbook and came to camp overweight and out of shape, it threw up big red flags for me. He's fun to watch, but obviously lacked something mentally coming into the league. He's up against the wall with this injury. Probably his last chance to be a solid fantasy asset.
Doubt it. First round picks, right or wrong, get countless opportunities in the NFL. Even if he leaves the Hawks, he will be picked up and given another shot.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:30 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:17 pm
CGW wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:04 am The only coach speak I ever really pay attention to is the negative stuff. These coaches go out of their way to glorify players just hoping to stroke their ego a bit and build confidence. Carroll is the king of coach speak.

Doubt it. First round picks, right or wrong, get countless opportunities in the NFL. Even if he leaves the Hawks, he will be picked up and given another shot.
Heck, Penny has barely gotten a shot on the Seahawks, if he cant pull it together by the end of his rookie contract he likely wont be anything.. clock is ticking, and missing half of year 3 isnt helping
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Easy Breesy
Captain
Captain

Postby Easy Breesy » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:39 pm

Good to know guys I traded Everett straight up for a penny and I’m hoping Penny rehabs his value a bit so I can flip him
16 team Tiered PPR league, TE Premium, 52 man roster, 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1W/R, 1TE/W, Full IDP
QB- Russ, Justin Herbert
RB- Antonio Gibson Ty Johnson, David Johnson Lat Murray
WR- Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, DJ Moore, Cordarelle Patterson,
TE- Hockeson, , Jonnu Smith, Firkser, Logan Thomas

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:06 am

Okay just rewatched some clips of penny, and Holy crap this dude was fast fast... He was destroying defenders' angles easily. And was one of the fastest guys on the field every play at 220+.

The only knock I have against him is that he runs quite soft. I haven't see and can't recall a time where he was met by a defender and powered through. If he didn't have enough space to out speed a guy he was getting tackled. Excited to see him back at supposedly 100% in the next week or two. If he can come back with his speed and a more "seahawkian" mentality, I think he can really make a splash to close out the year
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:51 am

nathanq42 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:06 am Okay just rewatched some clips of penny, and Holy crap this dude was fast fast... He was destroying defenders' angles easily. And was one of the fastest guys on the field every play at 220+.

The only knock I have against him is that he runs quite soft. I haven't see and can't recall a time where he was met by a defender and powered through. If he didn't have enough space to out speed a guy he was getting tackled. Excited to see him back at supposedly 100% in the next week or two. If he can come back with his speed and a more "seahawkian" mentality, I think he can really make a splash to close out the year
Always liked the talent. Injuries are a huge issue. I've held on this long, but I'm not sure he will make the cut going into next year for my team specifically. It's a crowded backfield right now. Carson is definitely still the starter and I'm not even sure Penny usurps Hyde this late in the season.

However, 2021 is interesting as Carson and Hyde are FA. Penny was a 1st rounder so the Hawks have the 2022 option on him. Is there a world where Penny is the starter where Dallas, their 4th round pick this year, is the backup? Maybe, but I'm not too keen on betting on it. Even then, could Penny stay healthy? Even then, would his fantasy value ever be more than a 2nd?

One of those what ifs... What if Carson didn't get the lead role and that was Penny instead? What could have been

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:05 am

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:51 am Always liked the talent. Injuries are a huge issue. I've held on this long, but I'm not sure he will make the cut going into next year for my team specifically. It's a crowded backfield right now. Carson is definitely still the starter and I'm not even sure Penny usurps Hyde this late in the season.

However, 2021 is interesting as Carson and Hyde are FA. Penny was a 1st rounder so the Hawks have the 2022 option on him. Is there a world where Penny is the starter where Dallas, their 4th round pick this year, is the backup? Maybe, but I'm not too keen on betting on it. Even then, could Penny stay healthy? Even then, would his fantasy value ever be more than a 2nd?

One of those what ifs... What if Carson didn't get the lead role and that was Penny instead? What could have been
I think Carson is mostlikely retained, unless Penny shows a lot before the end of the year. I wonder what Penny's 5th year option costs.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:34 am

As a Hawks fan I hope we are able to fit Carson in. He is legit. As I said when the Hawks drafted penny, the thunder and lightning of him and Carson would be something to watch.
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:44 am

penny was getting touches and producing WITH carson starting. i don't really understand how everything about penny is a function of carson. it really isn't. if they don't sign carson, they'll bring some other RB, they still would like to run on every other play.
can't see him being much more than a 1A or much less than a 1B, which is pretty good in that offense.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:50 am

I could see them bringing Carson back on the transition tag or a really cap friendly deal.

If not, who knows. Post-Lynch, Seattle has not cared about draft pedigree with their RBs. Thomas Rawls (UDFA) beat out Christine Michael (2nd). Chris Carson (7th) beat out Rashaad Penny (1st). Carroll talked up J.D. McKissic (UDFA) over Prosise (3rd)

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:00 am

Draft capital won't matter in SEA.

But Penny was really coming along last year before the injury, and was eating into Carson's workload.

Just to remind everyone what a special playmaker Penny is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4xcCpajGf4

SEA obviously wants to keep Carson, but they'll be just fine if he wants too much money.

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:14 am

I've given up on apparent busts and massive disappointments that had serious buzz before, and got burned, so keeping him one more year. If he does nothing next year for whatever reason, he gone.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:41 am

Sriracha wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:00 am Draft capital won't matter in SEA.

But Penny was really coming along last year before the injury, and was eating into Carson's workload.

Just to remind everyone what a special playmaker Penny is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4xcCpajGf4

SEA obviously wants to keep Carson, but they'll be just fine if he wants too much money.
Rashaad Penny to me is the poster child of how we don't know how a players work ethic will turn out in the NFL. He's got some of the quickest feet I've seen for a guy his size. Homerun speed. Great size. Natural pass catching skills. And in my opinion, his work ethic and mentality is complete and utter garbage. It's pretty clear that he doesn't hit the weights (poor bench press, zero muscular definition, always a bit tubby looking), is constantly overweight, and like others have said his mentality when running is a little strange at times and reports were his mentality playing through injuries was also poor. His pass blocking in college was an embarrassment, and in my opinion that is 100% work ethic related given he's at a size where it should be no issue. But look at what he was doing with in my opinion a dogshiit work ethic. A career 5.3 YPC. That's a testament to how naturally talented he is. It's depressing to think what could have been. The irony is I thought since his brother was already in the NFL that Rashaad would already know the ropes and come in ready to go. Who knows, maybe ACL rehab has improved the areas he was deficient in. I'm hoping so even though I traded him away in most leagues by now. Will be looking to buy cheaply I think this offseason in hopes he turns it around, because imo the natural ability has always been there.