Thoughts on Rashaad Penny?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jrblaha
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Thoughts on Rashaad Penny?

Postby Jrblaha » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:41 am

I’m in the minority here. But maybe it’s because I don’t draft well past the 1st round. I’m holding him over a second because I don’t see anyone in the projected second round of 2022 id rather have him. Penny has more upside Imo (and a crazy low floor). I’m not moving him for less than a 1st, no one is gonna send a first, so he’s a hold for me
12 team. PPR. QB pass td = 6
Starters: QB(1) FLEX (RB/WR/TE)(2) RB(2) WR(3) TE(1)

QB: AR, DJones
RB: Gibby, Charb, KMiller, Akers
WR: Chase, Lamb, G Wilson, Tank Dell, Burks, Mimsy, Tutu, W Robinson, Tucker, Wicks, RBell
TE: DNjoku, Hunter Henry

Draft Picks: 2024: 1.2, 1.5, 1.11. 2025: 1st Round (2) 2nd Round (1), 2026: 1st Round (1) 2nd Round (2)

prinefan
All Pro
All Pro

Postby prinefan » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:06 am

JFever wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:37 am
Jigga94 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:52 am
JFever wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:59 am Injury prone, small sample size. If you can sell for a 2nd, by all means do that. I'm not seeing the logic behind holding here at all. Guess I'd concede, if I couldn't get a 3rd, I'd hold.

Knowing what we know, why on Earth would any rational / experienced owner buy for a mid 2nd? In the last two games, he's played the 25th ranked run defense at home and then the 30th ranked run defense also at home. Week 14 he played well vs the 31st ranked run defense in the Texans.

Context matters.
Yup. He will he 26, 2nd contract. Probably not even the starter I'd assume. If he was, how long does he hold up? He's played in 36 games in 4 seasons. That's barely over 50%. I was a huge believer, but at some point, you have to cut your losses and take what you can get. I'm holding for now with 0 expectations moving forward. If he gives me an RB2 type year? Awesome. If I can sell for a 2nd? Awesome.
Solid take.
Agreed. I'd move him in a heartbeat for a mid-2nd. Can't stand players who put my heart in my throat each and every time I start him.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:34 pm

Assuming Russ stays I could easily see him being the next perennially undervalued lead back in the SEA offense a la Chris Carson circa 2018-2020 who was also devalued because of injury concerns.

Russ leaving + SEA drafting a RB + Injury concerns make Penny an extremely volatile asset atm but mid 2nd sounds about right for a potential multi year RB1.

Many a RB has been labeled injury prone before finding a regimen that keeps them healthy (Frank Gore, Dalvin Cook, Melvin Gordon, etc)

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:27 pm

Depends on where the 2nd rd pick is & how you view the quality of depth to that spot. Every year is a bit different where there seems to be a drop off point in talent that you deem worthy of a guy like Penny.

Last year for me was around 15-16 but wasn’t as high on T. Marshall or R. Moore as some. Post season you may say that there were more due to A. St. Brown , E. Mitchell , R. Stevenson , etc... but not so sure @ draft time you’d trade a guy like R. Penny for those later rd draftees. Haven’t dove too deep into the ‘22 class but guessing it’s not any deeper.

That being said there’s too much unknown right now to take less than an early 2nd. Maybe he signs elsewhere in a RBBC (doubt it) or back in Sea wo/ Wilson which may or may not be better (likely not better) or maybe he falls into a dream situation ( TB). Plus we don’t know where all the rookie players land. I’m huge on the fit for players in their style to mesh w/ team’s philosophy. Kamara & J.T. if they were to swap places neither would be as good trying to do what the other excels at imho . Very good still but not as great.

Someone above also mentioned his EMERGENCE coincided heavily with the competition level of opponents down the stretch. We picked him up just because of that factor. A. Collins caught the rougher portion of the schedule playing injured and results were dismal. Don’t think Penny would have blown the doors off of the others. Didn’t do it vs ‘49ers or Rams wks 13 & 15 for example. So not valuing him as RB1 but RB2 w/ upside in the right situation

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:37 pm

I have always been low on him, maybe that is a bias on my part, but I would happily take a 2nd for Christine Michael, I mean Penny……
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:15 am

C. Mike ... C. Mike Run ... C. Mike sit... loved me some C. Michael Train memes

Good one Murph 👍🏼

Maybe if C. Mike had the draft capital he’d have been a bigger thing but Coach Pete didn’t have anything to prove playing him. Carroll and the front office took a leap of faith in picking up a Penny stock quite a bit higher than the market forecasted it’s worth as. That’s another reason why I thought Rashaad would get lead back carries down the stretch instead of a RBBC approach. Carroll loves to make himself look good & being a defensive minded guy @ his core he wants a heavy run dose to eat clock and protect his defense. ( a la ZIMMER , any Ryan , Fangio, etc...) That’s their philosophy and ego on the line.
Penny would be smart to take the highest bid if he gets a long term or big guaranteed up front deal. His injury history he shouldn’t take a basic one year prove it deal in hopes of having a full year in hopes of breaking the bank if he goes off. But if that’s what he ends up with as his best option rather than a lowball long term deal he could do worse than re-sign w/ the Seahags if Coach Pete is still around.

Like C. Michael 2.0 Penny doesn’t seem real nuanced @ the position. You just give him the ball & turn him loose and give him a dump off or occasional wheel route out of the backfield. Seems to run all out but not as violent as C. Mike yet has a physicality that seems to work against him. Even in Lions game he appeared winded or exhausted which cost him to sit for a cpl stretches. Maybe he dedicates himself to being better conditioned but he hasn’t shown it so far & unfortunately it’s a part of what they will be basing how they value him on the open market. Penny is a long shot to land anywhere near the contracts a Mixon or Cook got much less a Kamara type contract unless he takes a one year deal and kills it to prove his big finish this year wasn’t an anamoly

If you’re Atl , Miami or such needing a lead RB who would you rather ... Sony or Penny ? (should move this to player debate I know)

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:50 pm

So first few drives this afternoon and Penny looks just as good against a talented Arizona defense. Already another run of 20 yards. I’m buying everywhere

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:02 pm

I DONT KNOW HOW TO FEEL

I was a nut sack hair away from dropping him 5 weeks ago....
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:15 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:02 pm I DONT KNOW HOW TO FEEL

I was a nut sack hair away from dropping him 5 weeks ago....
Penny was breaking out a few years ago, when he shredded his knee. He looks fully recovered now, and back to breaking out again. Talent was always there. I looking forward to seeing him again next year. At least we can say Penny>Guice for sure now. :lol:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:18 pm

Dude.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:53 pm

Penny is something else rn.

He has 671 yards and 6 TDs rushing in the last 5 games. He has 4 100+ yard rushing games in that span, and all of them were also 130+ yard games. He also has something like 10 20+ yard explosive runs during that time. His advanced stats, yards created etc are through the roof.

To put that into perspective, in the last TWO FULL SEASONS, Zeke has played 32 games. Over those 32 games, he also has 4 100+ yard games, but only 1 130+ yard game. And he only has 4 runs of 20+ yard runs. Zeke has 1/4 the number of 130+ yard games and 2/5 the number of 20+ yard runs, IN ALMOST 6.5x THE NUMBER OF GAMES.

DynastyDrum30
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyDrum30 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:09 pm

As an owner who drafted him and suffered through years of his roster-clogging hell, I don’t know what to think of this. Part of me feels that I have to hold him, the other part says cash out now before he hurts himself again.
10 man league; .5 PPR; .5 TE Premium
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/Flex/K/Team D) - 28 Man Rosters

Roster Highlights:

QB: Burrow, Purdy, Love

RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, Z. Charbonnet, AJ Dillon, Penny, D. Foreman, T Allgier, Z. White, E. Hull

WR: Chase, Lamb, Olave, T. Higgins, Diontae, Chark

TE: LaPorta, Pitts, Goedert, Schoonmaker

Picks:
2024: 4.06
2025: None

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:22 pm

I'm hoping Seattle can bring him back on an incentive laden 1-year deal. Given his history, I doubt teams will be lining up to offer him a multi-year deal. But who knows? I think the Hawks could use Penny moving forward, especially with the uncertainty surrounding Carson and his neck injury. It's possible he doesn't play again, and Collins and the other backups aren't the answer for a strong running game.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:38 pm

DynastyDrum30 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:09 pm As an owner who drafted him and suffered through years of his roster-clogging hell, I don’t know what to think of this. Part of me feels that I have to hold him, the other part says cash out now before he hurts himself again.
Tell me about it... I'm so absolutely torn. With my luck he will stink it up if I keep him and turn into a God if I move him. I might just throw low ball offers out for solid WRs and see if anyone bites
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:44 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:22 pm I'm hoping Seattle can bring him back on an incentive laden 1-year deal. Given his history, I doubt teams will be lining up to offer him a multi-year deal. But who knows? I think the Hawks could use Penny moving forward, especially with the uncertainty surrounding Carson and his neck injury. It's possible he doesn't play again, and Collins and the other backups aren't the answer for a strong running game.
I think he entered 2-year contract territory after this stretch run. That will certainly be what his agent is wanting. I'm not certain there's an RB available with more big-play upside on the market this offseason, and that's worth something to proper contenders.

I think a team will sign him as the 1b back, much like what Seattle hoped he could be with Carson all these years. For the few games that it worked before his last injury, it certainly looked potent.