General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Re: Thoughts on Rashaad Penny?

Postby dondickenson » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:53 am

Pros: talent, production when healthy, free agency, little tread

Cons: injury history, age, possible immaturity in taking care of his body

Variables to take into account for late season surge: contract year motivation, fresh legs

Verdict: Contenders hold and hope he can be your RB3-5 for a year or two, but be prepared for his value to evaporate at any time. Rebuilders sell before free agency for a top 20+- pick or wait and gamble that he signs as a lead back in Atl/Ari/Mia/Buf etc and sell for a top 12+- pick.

steelman
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby steelman » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:46 am

dondickenson wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:53 am Pros: talent, production when healthy, free agency, little tread

Cons: injury history, age, possible immaturity in taking care of his body

Variables to take into account for late season surge: contract year motivation, fresh legs

Verdict: Contenders hold and hope he can be your RB3-5 for a year or two, but be prepared for his value to evaporate at any time. Rebuilders sell before free agency for a top 20+- pick or wait and gamble that he signs as a lead back in Atl/Ari/Mia/Buf etc and sell for a top 12+- pick.
Contenders that are holding are hoping for RB1 production when he plays, because that's what he's done. The problem is he hasn't played enough.
As for selling. I must be in the wrong leagues. I would never be able to get a top 20 pick for him right now. I could maybe get a 3rd. I don't care who he signs with, I won't be getting a 1st for him. Arizona has a crowded back field already. Buffalo has Singletary, plus they don't like to run the ball. Not sure why people think Buffalo is a good landing spot for a RB. I don't see it.

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:08 pm

last year I traded Golladay for Juju and Penny with a pick swap 2021 pick swap. Unless you paid a heavy price to get him and you're trying to recoup value, I think holding him is like holding a lottery ticket thats looking pretty good right now. Depending on where he lands I would either sell or hold - not buy.
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"
⛳️Jaguars will finish 11-6 and make the playoffs
⛳️If Sam Darnold finishes outside of the top 13 QB in 2021 then StripesOfKC & Sriracha get to decide what my new handle and icon will be. :thumbup:

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
START: QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 3 FLEX, 1 SUPERFLEX
ROSTER STARTERS
QB: S. Darnold (CAR)
RB: J. Jacobs (LV), L. Fournette (TB)
WR: Cooper (DAL), Ridley (ATL), M. Williams (LAC)
TE: R. Seals-Jones (WAS), M. Alie-Cox (IND)
FLEX: Sutton (DEN), J. Smith-Schuster (PIT), D. Harris (NE)
SUPERFLEX: M. Jones (NE)

BENCH:
QB: Rudolph (PIT), Book (NO), Minshew (PHL), Stidham (NE)
RB: Cord. Patterson (ATL), A. Collins (SEA), D. Dallas (SEA), K. Vaughn (TB), JJ Taylor (NE), S. Perine (CIN)
WR: M. Jones (JAX), Zaccheus (ATL), G. Olszewski (NE)
TE: B. Jarwin (DAL), D. Asiasi (NE)
IR: Tre' Q. Smith (NO), Tyrod Taylor (HOU), Chark Jr (JAX), R. Penny (SEA)

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:08 pm

The MAC Machine wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:08 pm last year I traded Golladay for Juju and Penny with a pick swap 2021 pick swap. Unless you paid a heavy price to get him and you're trying to recoup value, I think holding him is like holding a lottery ticket thats looking pretty good right now. Depending on where he lands I would either sell or hold - not buy.
Depends on the price. If someone is moving him for a mid/late 2nd, if he resigns in Seattle, I'd take him. He looks fantastic. He's 2 years removed from a knee injury that really derailed his career. He was breaking out at the time. If I can get a couple of years out of him, with this type of weekly upside, I'd be willing to "burn" a pick on him.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

TimeWillTell
Captain
Captain

Postby TimeWillTell » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:40 pm

Happy for him. Held since I overdrafted him in a startup in 2018, and he just helped me repeat as champion!
2020, 2021, 2022 Champion!
12 Team 1QB 0.5 PPR 30 man roster
Start: 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1Def
QB: Mahomes, Brady, Stafford
RB: Barkley, Taylor, Dobbins, Swift, Jacobs
WR: Chase, Jefferson, AJB, Lamb, DJM, Olave, Dotson, Mike Evans
TE: Hock, Dulcich, Chig, Fant, Jonnu, Hurst, Everett
K: Some guy
Def: Who knows
1.01, 1.03

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:36 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:08 pm
The MAC Machine wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:08 pm last year I traded Golladay for Juju and Penny with a pick swap 2021 pick swap. Unless you paid a heavy price to get him and you're trying to recoup value, I think holding him is like holding a lottery ticket thats looking pretty good right now. Depending on where he lands I would either sell or hold - not buy.
Depends on the price. If someone is moving him for a mid/late 2nd, if he resigns in Seattle, I'd take him. He looks fantastic. He's 2 years removed from a knee injury that really derailed his career. He was breaking out at the time. If I can get a couple of years out of him, with this type of weekly upside, I'd be willing to "burn" a pick on him.
I dont think any reasonable person would sell Penny for a 2nd at this point. The dude just put up 430 yards on 58 carries (over 7 ypc) flashing monster potential. You dont give up that ceiling for a 2nd. You wait until someone pays you, or you hold. This is why I wouldnt buy him....I completely expect people to be selling him higher than a 2nd. He isnt a panic sell.
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"
⛳️Jaguars will finish 11-6 and make the playoffs
⛳️If Sam Darnold finishes outside of the top 13 QB in 2021 then StripesOfKC & Sriracha get to decide what my new handle and icon will be. :thumbup:

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
START: QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 3 FLEX, 1 SUPERFLEX
ROSTER STARTERS
QB: S. Darnold (CAR)
RB: J. Jacobs (LV), L. Fournette (TB)
WR: Cooper (DAL), Ridley (ATL), M. Williams (LAC)
TE: R. Seals-Jones (WAS), M. Alie-Cox (IND)
FLEX: Sutton (DEN), J. Smith-Schuster (PIT), D. Harris (NE)
SUPERFLEX: M. Jones (NE)

BENCH:
QB: Rudolph (PIT), Book (NO), Minshew (PHL), Stidham (NE)
RB: Cord. Patterson (ATL), A. Collins (SEA), D. Dallas (SEA), K. Vaughn (TB), JJ Taylor (NE), S. Perine (CIN)
WR: M. Jones (JAX), Zaccheus (ATL), G. Olszewski (NE)
TE: B. Jarwin (DAL), D. Asiasi (NE)
IR: Tre' Q. Smith (NO), Tyrod Taylor (HOU), Chark Jr (JAX), R. Penny (SEA)

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:41 pm

If I'm Penny, I'm "tweaking" the groin injury he was listed with in pre-game warm ups. Meaningless game and he's without a contract. I think based on the last month he's getting a 2nd one, but if I were him I wouldn't want to risk major injury in a nothing game.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:18 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:41 pm If I'm Penny, I'm "tweaking" the groin injury he was listed with in pre-game warm ups. Meaningless game and he's without a contract. I think based on the last month he's getting a 2nd one, but if I were him I wouldn't want to risk major injury in a nothing game.
I agree, just like established draft picks skipping bowl games, why risk the bag for one more game? Obviously he could push his stock higher with another standout performance, but he could also find himself injured and forced to sign an incentive heavy prove it deal with a short turnaround from potential injury date to week 1.
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:01 am

nathanq42 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:18 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:41 pm If I'm Penny, I'm "tweaking" the groin injury he was listed with in pre-game warm ups. Meaningless game and he's without a contract. I think based on the last month he's getting a 2nd one, but if I were him I wouldn't want to risk major injury in a nothing game.
I agree, just like established draft picks skipping bowl games, why risk the bag for one more game? Obviously he could push his stock higher with another standout performance, but he could also find himself injured and forced to sign an incentive heavy prove it deal with a short turnaround from potential injury date to week 1.
This could be just me... but I don't think Penny has the kind of resume that would incentivize him to not play this week.

A lot of the question marks surrounding him involve his consistency and ability to stay healthy.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:38 am

Sriracha wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:01 am
nathanq42 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:18 am
This could be just me... but I don't think Penny has the kind of resume that would incentivize him to not play this week.

A lot of the question marks surrounding him involve his consistency and ability to stay healthy.
Lol yeah faking an injury and missing the game would be pretty counter intuitive imo. Most teams would probably think he was actually hurt and pile on the injury prone label more than he already has.

Also, people went from saying he's not a sell because you can't get a 2nd, to now saying they wouldn't sell for a 2nd. Idk, I've seen this play put before and a 2nd would be very hard for me to turn down

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:59 am

Injury prone, small sample size. If you can sell for a 2nd, by all means do that. I'm not seeing the logic behind holding here at all. Guess I'd concede, if I couldn't get a 3rd, I'd hold.

Knowing what we know, why on Earth would any rational / experienced owner buy for a mid 2nd? In the last two games, he's played the 25th ranked run defense at home and then the 30th ranked run defense also at home. Week 14 he played well vs the 31st ranked run defense in the Texans.

Context matters.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:52 am

JFever wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:59 am Injury prone, small sample size. If you can sell for a 2nd, by all means do that. I'm not seeing the logic behind holding here at all. Guess I'd concede, if I couldn't get a 3rd, I'd hold.

Knowing what we know, why on Earth would any rational / experienced owner buy for a mid 2nd? In the last two games, he's played the 25th ranked run defense at home and then the 30th ranked run defense also at home. Week 14 he played well vs the 31st ranked run defense in the Texans.

Context matters.
Yup. He will he 26, 2nd contract. Probably not even the starter I'd assume. If he was, how long does he hold up? He's played in 36 games in 4 seasons. That's barely over 50%. I was a huge believer, but at some point, you have to cut your losses and take what you can get. I'm holding for now with 0 expectations moving forward. If he gives me an RB2 type year? Awesome. If I can sell for a 2nd? Awesome.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:59 am

The MAC Machine wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:36 pm

I dont think any reasonable person would sell Penny for a 2nd at this point. The dude just put up 430 yards on 58 carries (over 7 ypc) flashing monster potential. You dont give up that ceiling for a 2nd. You wait until someone pays you, or you hold. This is why I wouldnt buy him....I completely expect people to be selling him higher than a 2nd. He isnt a panic sell.
Full disclosure, I own him nowhere. I would however sell him for a second. He has flashed before, then he gets hurt. He is clogger at the end of the day and I would rather hit the reset button with that type of player. PS, if you would like to give me a second for Paris Campbell let me know.....
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:38 am

I do own him in one SF league where I am RB needy, and would jump all over a mid 2nd for him if it was offered today.

Hes looked great lately and likely won people some money this playoff season (even won me my 1st round matchup.) I'm still not betting on a 5th year breakout from a guy who's been injury prone going into contract two with very little to boost his resume positively in the real football league.

Best case, he gets a new deal with the Hawks. Otherwise I have to think he's a fill in or rbbc RB elsewhere. There's a path either way, but I don't bet on these guys.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:37 am

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:52 am
JFever wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:59 am Injury prone, small sample size. If you can sell for a 2nd, by all means do that. I'm not seeing the logic behind holding here at all. Guess I'd concede, if I couldn't get a 3rd, I'd hold.

Context matters.
Yup. He will he 26, 2nd contract. Probably not even the starter I'd assume. If he was, how long does he hold up? He's played in 36 games in 4 seasons. That's barely over 50%. I was a huge believer, but at some point, you have to cut your losses and take what you can get. I'm holding for now with 0 expectations moving forward. If he gives me an RB2 type year? Awesome. If I can sell for a 2nd? Awesome.
Solid take.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.