Thoughts on Teddy Bridgewater?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Re: Teddy Bridgewater Injury

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:38 am

As a big Bridgewater supporter, this is a very sad development, though you can't help but be thankful for the news that no artery damage occurred and he should be able to make a full recovery. Impacts to his development and mental confidence are TBD though. Definitely sucks for the Vikings as well. Hopefully he can come back for 2017, though I think 2018 is the true target, at least for a confident and effective Teddy.

For fantasy, regardless of what people thought of him, this is a downgrade for the team. Worse for pass catchers and worse for Peterson. Not sure he can get more carries, and I still think McKinnon's role grows. More defenders against the run too. Overall, people could argue the level of impact, but I don't see any way stocks improved here until people start throwing out the 'and it will only get better with a real QB' stuff come late season when people are looking ahead to 2017 optimism.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:42 am

I really felt good about the Vikings this year, too.
Maybe Peterson will dish out some serious damage this year...The defense is good enough to consistently keep scores low as long as Peterson can move the chains enough to give them breathers.
Expect your players to possibly have less total plays when facing the Vikings this year, folks. Not only is that a tough defense but they will be burning the clock if they can.
Then again, if they can't convert and need to be punting all the time... :cry:

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:59 am

This puts the Vikings in a tough spot when it comes to personnel decisions. How certain are they that Bridgewater will fully recover? When will that be? What do they do in the interim? Do they get a two-year type QB? Do they draft one? You know they want him to be their long-term QB, but can they take that type of risk with the franchise?

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:18 am

Lotto4Life wrote:This puts the Vikings in a tough spot when it comes to personnel decisions. How certain are they that Bridgewater will fully recover? When will that be? What do they do in the interim? Do they get a two-year type QB? Do they draft one? You know they want him to be their long-term QB, but can they take that type of risk with the franchise?
I like Teddy and think he's underrated by the fantasy community (looking at his lack of TDs as a reason to criticize when then ran nonstop in the red zone). I think he could be a very solid pro QB, making smart decisions. I doubt he's back ready for the '17 opener, though, and who knows if he'll ever be the same. Part of his potential talent was his underrated athleticism/mobility. That might not be there as much. It's a good thing that he didn't rely on that mobility, and usually stayed in the pocket to make his reads.
He also loses a year of development as the rest of the team gets a year expired on their young cheap contracts. I want the Vikings to trade for a suitable replacement/potential long-term answer.

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:20 am

FiremanEd wrote:As a big Bridgewater supporter, this is a very sad development, though you can't help but be thankful for the news that no artery damage occurred and he should be able to make a full recovery. Impacts to his development and mental confidence are TBD though. Definitely sucks for the Vikings as well. Hopefully he can come back for 2017, though I think 2018 is the true target, at least for a confident and effective Teddy.
I would like to get your opinion on the Jets QB situation since you're an avid Jets fan and I've heard rumors of the Vikings picking up either Bryce Petty or Geno Smith, depending on which player gets waiver by the Jets, if any.

Petty has never played a snap in regular season game and the Jets are already talking about releasing him, is he really that bad? Geno has had a lot of ups and downs and could be a potential 2 year rental for the Vikings but I can't see the Jets letting him walk and having only Petty/Hackenberg as the backups with zero experience in meaningful NFL games. I've also heard the Jets might be able to stash Hackenberg on IR so they could potentially keep all 4 QBs.

Thoughts?

thaniz
Role Player
Role Player

Postby thaniz » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:31 am

I firmly believe this will not affect Teddy long term.

A la Harstad I think this is a good opportunity to buy Bridgewater.

What would your opening offer be in a start 1 qb league?
The Lost Boys Dynasty League - https://www59.myfantasyleague.com/2021/home/25061#0
QB: Jackson, Herbert, Cousins, Newton
RB: Cook, Howard, Michel, McKissic, Hyde, Mack, Mattsson, Mostert
WR: Julio, D. Johnson, Cooks, Hardman, Cobb, M.Jones, Hamler, Hilton, Bourne, Harris, Pringle, Toney, Washington, M.Johnson
TE: Kelce, Cook,

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:48 am

thaniz wrote:What would your opening offer be in a start 1 qb league?
12-teamer? If I have an IR spot for him, I'd maybe offer a rookie third. If not, maybe a 4th. He'll be tough to carry for that long given he wasn't putting up startable numbers before the injury.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:44 pm

Since AD can be released next year with basically no financial implications, expect about a 500 carry season. Welcome to th Geno Smith era. Ladies and Gentleman, your Minnesota ViQueens.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:50 pm

Cameron Giles wrote:
joedirte wrote:Do you guys think Hill is the starter or they acquire someone else? Just picked up Hill. Bridgewater was my 3rd qb in a 2qb league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even if they acquire someone else, that QB would have a week to learn the offense. Hill should be the starter, for now at least.
Unless of course you sign Josh Freeman and then you know just start him with 1/2 a practice again.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:00 pm

thebeast wrote:
Cameron Giles wrote:
joedirte wrote:Do you guys think Hill is the starter or they acquire someone else? Just picked up Hill. Bridgewater was my 3rd qb in a 2qb league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even if they acquire someone else, that QB would have a week to learn the offense. Hill should be the starter, for now at least.
Unless of course you sign Josh Freeman and then you know just start him with 1/2 a practice again.
:lol: ... :cry:

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:30 pm

:cry:
12 Team 1QB PPR
8 Starters - QB 1, RB 2(4), WR 3(5), TE 1(3)

QB - Kyler Murray, Derek Carr, Kenny Pickett
RB - Christian McCaffrey, Bijan Robinson, Kyren Williams, Travis Etienne, James Conner, Antonio Gibson, Chris Rodriguez
WR - Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Michael Pittman, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Jerry Jeudy, Rashod Bateman
TE - Sam Laporta, Kyle Pitts, Darren Waller, Isaiah Likely
Picks - 2.10, 3.10, 4.10, 5.10

JSylvester87
Role Player
Role Player

Postby JSylvester87 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:54 am

Luckily for me I have Romo and Teddy as my 2 QBs in a 16 team league and nobody on waivers! Rocking Hill and hoping Paxton Lynch eventually starts. Ugh.
War Eagle - 16 Team, going into year 9

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 TE/WR, 1K, 1D
QB: Patrick Mahomes, Dwayne Haskins, Mason Rudolph
RB: Le’Veon Bell, Dalvin Cook, Kerryon Johnson, Tony Pollard, Malcolm Brown
WR: JuJu Smith-Schuster, Odell Beckham, Michael Gallup, Sammy Watkins, Antonio Callaway
TE: Mark Andrews, Eric Ebron, Tyler Higbee
K: Will Lutz
D: Bears D
Champion 2012, 2013 , 2014 runner up, 2019 runner up.

theone
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby theone » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:57 am

Bad news and devastating injury, that can take multiple years to heal,for a developing player and team. Hopefully Teddy makes a full recovery. This could put Vikes in a very tough position if Teddy does not recover for the 2017 season. Would they use the 5th year option in 2018? I think the Vikes have to consider adding a solid QB. This news has virtually no fantasy impact for this season. MIN will still be a run-heavy team that was always going to face stacked boxes. Teddy was only a QB3 and none of the WRs were expected to do much (maybe Diggs as a WR3 at the top). Hill has been a very competent backup in his career and can put up similar numbers to what Teddy B has done so far.

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:55 am

IMO the common analysis that this has little or no fantasy impact is faulty. It is based on the idea that Teddy & the Vikings' offense would not develop further from 2016. Despite the fact that the camp reports were nearly universally to the contrary.

Teddy is a 23 year old QB with excellent pocket awareness and a developing arm. Teddy's completion percentage through his first 2 seasons of NFL play is at historically high levels. Even though he has not been throwing the ball to players like AJ Green, A Robinson, Crabtree/Cooper.

He made Charles Johnson relevant in 2014, a 7th round pick that was cut by the Browns of all teams. In 2015 Johnson played hurt and Teddy turned to a rookie, making Diggs fantasy relevant for a time.

The "consensus" estimates for the Vikings passing offense in 2016 seemed based solely on the 2015 results. Most projections seemed to ignore the effects of an improved offensive line, the development of young players (Bridgewater, Diggs and Johnson), and the addition of Treadwell.

The Vikings were set up to be one of the surprise offenses for 2016. Camp reports and the 3rd preseason game gave indications that 2016 could have been the turning point. Not to say that the passing attack was going to produce 5,000 yards and 35 TDs. But, there was the definite possibility that what could have happened in Minnesota in 2016 would have made the Vikings' players the hot commodities going into 2017.

Buy Teddy. Buy Teddy today if his owner is scared and wanting to cash out.

A-train
Starter
Starter

Bridgewater worth a waiver claim?

Postby A-train » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:35 pm

Bridgewater was just dropped by his owner in my 20 team 1 qb league. Have Carr and Wentz on my roster currently. Also have McCown because originally was thinking it would take at least a year before Wentz started and figured RG3 would get injured. So question is should I put a claim in for Bridgewater or would it be a waste of a claim? I would stash him on the IR if I got him and have the roster space still to work with.
Team 1: France Les Bleus: 20 team .5 ppr dynasty league. Starters in Bold
QB: Andrew Luck, Marcus Mariota
RB: Ezekiel Elliot, Alex Collins, D'onta Foreman, Chris Carson, James White, Kenneth Dixon
WR: Mike Williams, Chris Godwin, DJ Moore, Laquon Treadwell, Taywan Taylor, Josh Malone
TE: Eric Ebron, Hunter Henry, Adam Shaheen
D/ST: Patriots, Saints

Team 2: New England Patriots: 24 Team standard league. Starters in Bold
QB: Patrick Mahommes, Josh Rosen
RB: Royce Freeman, Nick Chubb, Phillip Lindsay, Derius Guice, Melvin Gordon
WR: DJ Moore, Courtland Sutton, DJ Chark, Desean Hamilton, Laquon Treadwell, Equanimous St. Brown, James Washington
TE: Gerald Everett, Adam Shaheen, Hunter Henry
Def: Titans