Christian McCaffrey Thread: CMC Extension

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: CMC Extension

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:04 pm

hockeyBjj wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:14 am Saw an interesting stat about CMC's receiving, he's kinda a garbage time beneficiary RB instead of WR. Which I guess makes him game-flow proof if with a lead they still go by his rushing and short high percentage dump offs, and then when behind they're force passing the ball to him.

*McCaffrey has 15 games in his career with double-digit receiving targets. The team has won one of those 15 games. McCaffrey has five games with over 100 yards receiving. The team has won zero of those games.*
Nice thanks. Did it say anything about how he did in games Panthers have actually won? I'm sure it's more rushing than receiving. That sample size is a bit smaller, but I feel like its also important to look at in case they decide to win more games.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:50 pm

hockeyBjj wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:14 am Saw an interesting stat about CMC's receiving, he's kinda a garbage time beneficiary RB instead of WR. Which I guess makes him game-flow proof if with a lead they still go by his rushing and short high percentage dump offs, and then when behind they're force passing the ball to him.

*McCaffrey has 15 games in his career with double-digit receiving targets. The team has won one of those 15 games. McCaffrey has five games with over 100 yards receiving. The team has won zero of those games.*
I remember the Colts game from last season. They lost 38 to 6....and CMC had 15 receptions.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:03 pm

Regardless of what people think about the importance of RB's, this is fantastic for RB's. Zeke and CMC being able to get paid after Gurley's issue is substantial for the future of the position. Getting extended and paid early is really fantastic for them, as they have much shorter shelf lives. It's very good for the future of the position. Elite RB's matter to their teams. They change the way a defense plays them. A player like Barkley can be a difference maker to the success and development of a potential franchise QB in Jones. He certainly has a much better chance with SB back there as opposed to Wayne Gallman. I think it's a good thing for football to see these elite players getting paid like elite players.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:10 pm

Quentin Nelson and Minkah Fitzpatrick make strong arguments for being more valuable than Barkley. And he is valuable for sure,
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:20 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:10 pm Quentin Nelson and Minkah Fitzpatrick make strong arguments for being more valuable than Barkley. And he is valuable for sure,
Sure. In the context of the Giants though, with a young QB in Jones, I'd argue Barkley is more valuable because Jones success and development is more likely with him than an average back. Nelson I could see the argument for, with the Giants.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:51 pm

I agree that when you look at a team like Tennessee, Derrick Henry is very important to what they do. They're a run heavy offense and he's the optimal RB for a team to wear you down with the run game. Nobody wants to tackle Derrick Henry 20-30 times a game.

But in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. I think if your offense these days is built squarely around a high-carry RB, then you're kind of screwed.

On a similar thought, I'd argue that Carolina's offense relying too much on CMC checkdowns is great for the defense, because it means the ball isn't traveling downfield and you're adding more mileage to their central offensive weapon. Win-win.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:16 pm

Rivera was a massive idiot. He was pounding CMC in between tackles far more than necessary, on a losing team.

He never was creative on offense.

I suspect Rhule will make the Panthers offense shine, if not exploded in 2020.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:16 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:51 pm I agree that when you look at a team like Tennessee, Derrick Henry is very important to what they do. They're a run heavy offense and he's the optimal RB for a team to wear you down with the run game. Nobody wants to tackle Derrick Henry 20-30 times a game.

But in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. I think if your offense these days is built squarely around a high-carry RB, then you're kind of screwed.

On a similar thought, I'd argue that Carolina's offense relying too much on CMC checkdowns is great for the defense, because it means the ball isn't traveling downfield and you're adding more mileage to their central offensive weapon. Win-win.
The Titans made the conference championship, and had Gurley not been hurt in the Super Bowl 2 years ago, they probably would have won. I think it's really case dependant. They allow teams that don't have the luxury of an elite QB like Brady or Mahomes to compete. I'd argue Todd Gurley was just as big a difference maker as Khalil Mack for that 2 year stretch. The elite's of the position are definitely difference makers. There are so few teams with the luxury of elite coaching and elite QB play like the Pats and the Chiefs had. Ezekiel Elliot and even Demarco Murray before him were huge difference makers to that Cowboys team for a few years, and drastically shifted the fortunes of that franchise. The OL was certainly dominant, but it was maximized by their play.

I agree that a team can't be solely built around a high carry RB, but they definitely help the overall offense. The Rams had a pass game that worked well with Gurley for those years, the Cowboys and Dak were very efficient passing the ball, in large part due to Elliott, and that OL. They can certainly be a a centre piece and have success, as long as the offense has different functions to it.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:03 am

No issue with the truly elite RB's getting their money. While he is getting paid top dollar for a RB it's still not really close to a few other positions. CMC is young and puts up WR numbers on top of his RB rushing numbers.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:06 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:16 pm The Titans made the conference championship, and had Gurley not been hurt in the Super Bowl 2 years ago, they probably would have won. I think it's really case dependant. They allow teams that don't have the luxury of an elite QB like Brady or Mahomes to compete. I'd argue Todd Gurley was just as big a difference maker as Khalil Mack for that 2 year stretch. The elite's of the position are definitely difference makers. There are so few teams with the luxury of elite coaching and elite QB play like the Pats and the Chiefs had. Ezekiel Elliot and even Demarco Murray before him were huge difference makers to that Cowboys team for a few years, and drastically shifted the fortunes of that franchise. The OL was certainly dominant, but it was maximized by their play.

I agree that a team can't be solely built around a high carry RB, but they definitely help the overall offense. The Rams had a pass game that worked well with Gurley for those years, the Cowboys and Dak were very efficient passing the ball, in large part due to Elliott, and that OL. They can certainly be a a centre piece and have success, as long as the offense has different functions to it.
Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that Derrick Henry, prime Todd Gurley, and Christian McCaffrey are not highly-talented and can't make a difference. Henry maximized the Titans elite run blocking this season with his style of play. Le'Veon Bell, for example, maximized the Steelers offensive line with his running style.

I'm just saying that in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter, because while the individual dropoff from Henry to an average back is notable, the team dropoff is not. Look at last year's 49ers team. They were elite at run blocking and were a contender without an elite back. The Patriots have constantly fielded great teams with good run blocking and no elite backs. The Eagles team that won years ago had nobody. Kansas City this year didn't have one. There are countless examples.

You're right. It's a great plan to compete when you don't have an ideal QB. If Blake Bortles is your QB, then having Leonard Fournette and a great line is awesome, but it makes you almost one-dimensional and isn't a good long-term plan to build a great team.

ckrumm24
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby ckrumm24 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:22 am

CGW wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:34 pm It's worth it to hold these guys if you are a contender. If you are a year or two out, that's when I'm not willing to risk it. And I'm a big CMC fan.
100% agree. All the people suggesting to sell RBs on their second contract should be giving disclaimers for those of us contending. We should be holding. Sure, selling zeke or cmc earlier rather than later COULD help me down the road but it’s almost SURELY going to hurt my short term chances of winning a title. I guess there’s a chance you could nail it and every season you trade a stud veteran RB they fall off the cliff and you replaced them in an oncoming superstar rookie, but I don’t like that approach.
12 team IDP Salary Cap w/ contracts 40 man roster + 20 taxi spots | 4 year max contract w/ Franchise(1)/Transition(2)/RFA Tags). Mostly mirrors real NFL.

Full Roster:
https://www59.myfantasyleague.com/2020/ ... =0008&O=07

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:27 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:16 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:51 pm I agree that when you look at a team like Tennessee, Derrick Henry is very important to what they do. They're a run heavy offense and he's the optimal RB for a team to wear you down with the run game. Nobody wants to tackle Derrick Henry 20-30 times a game.

The Titans made the conference championship, and had Gurley not been hurt in the Super Bowl 2 years ago, they probably would have won. I think it's really case dependant. They allow teams that don't have the luxury of an elite QB like Brady or Mahomes to compete. I'd argue Todd Gurley was just as big a difference maker as Khalil Mack for that 2 year stretch. The elite's of the position are definitely difference makers. There are so few teams with the luxury of elite coaching and elite QB play like the Pats and the Chiefs had. Ezekiel Elliot and even Demarco Murray before him were huge difference makers to that Cowboys team for a few years, and drastically shifted the fortunes of that franchise. The OL was certainly dominant, but it was maximized by their play.

The RB position definitely matters and can be a significant advantage, with the caveat that it's for a short period of time.

Gurley and Henry are two excellent examples. Those teams would not had the success they did without those two. But it's short lived due to the nature of the position. Which is exactly the point many are making. It's not worth the money long term. A good QB can be valuable for a decade or longer. A good WR 5-10yrs. A good RB for maybe 3-5yrs.

I 100% agree with you on the early extension of these elite players. They need to get paid and they need to do it sooner than later. They shouldn't be forced into holding out as their rookie deals end trying to get 2nd contract.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:27 pm

ckrumm24 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:22 am
CGW wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:34 pm It's worth it to hold these guys if you are a contender. If you are a year or two out, that's when I'm not willing to risk it. And I'm a big CMC fan.
100% agree. All the people suggesting to sell RBs on their second contract should be giving disclaimers for those of us contending. We should be holding. Sure, selling zeke or cmc earlier rather than later COULD help me down the road but it’s almost SURELY going to hurt my short term chances of winning a title. I guess there’s a chance you could nail it and every season you trade a stud veteran RB they fall off the cliff and you replaced them in an oncoming superstar rookie, but I don’t like that approach.
If you had CMC last year and didn't win the title then you should be looking hard at your team and trying to figure out why. Especially if you were in a PPR format. So if you're in that format, you may only be a "contender" due to CMC having a historic season that will most likely be the pinnacle for him statistically. Which is all the more reason to sell.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:13 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:16 pm Rivera was a massive idiot. He was pounding CMC in between tackles far more than necessary, on a losing team.

He never was creative on offense.

I suspect Rhule will make the Panthers offense shine, if not exploded in 2020.
I completely agree ... assuming his workload is reduced, he should have a better chance than most to extend his level of play into his late-20’s ... same goes for Kamar. But Mixon would have me worried.

ckrumm24
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby ckrumm24 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:59 am

jenkins.math wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:27 pm
ckrumm24 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:22 am
If you had CMC last year and didn't win the title then you should be looking hard at your team and trying to figure out why. Especially if you were in a PPR format. So if you're in that format, you may only be a "contender" due to CMC having a historic season that will most likely be the pinnacle for him statistically. Which is all the more reason to sell.
I do not disagree with any of this. But, I don’t define “contender” as a guy who makes the playoffs because of one or two guys. I’m just pushing back on the notion that we should always be trying to sell at peak value because we play in dynasty. That thinking works with stocks, but while analogous in some ways, there is a difference between stocks and our dynasty assets. Our dynasty assets have value in addition to their “virtual currency” (picks, other players). In order to win we need our player (X) to produce more points than the other player (Y), even if player Y would yield us a greater return if we sold them. So, if I’m a “real” contender, It’s very unlikely you can make up for the points you lose trading away top players for other assets (at least consistently). Sorry to derail thread.
12 team IDP Salary Cap w/ contracts 40 man roster + 20 taxi spots | 4 year max contract w/ Franchise(1)/Transition(2)/RFA Tags). Mostly mirrors real NFL.

Full Roster:
https://www59.myfantasyleague.com/2020/ ... =0008&O=07