OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Re: Brandin Cooks traded to Houston

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:17 am

ericanadian wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:19 pm
Ice wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:31 pm
ericanadian wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:58 am

Houston was only able to manage one sack and 3 QB hits and 3 TFL against the Chiefs. Clowney got 1.5 sacks, 3 TFL and 3 QB hits in his two playoff games. Even miscast, I think he’s superior to who they replaced him with.

Seattle is letting him walk because he wants $20M/season and they have $12M in cap space and other needs. He probably isn’t worth $20M, but the fact that teams can’t give him a physical when he does have recent injury issues is certainly a factor here just as it is with guys like Cam Newton. I also wasn’t blasting O’Brien on this point only countering your point that this was somehow a win for O’Brien because he got two role players and a third for a guy that might have helped them hold on to the lead they had against KC. Pretty sure that third got them nothing in the playoffs and Mingo & Martin combined for 22 snaps and one tackle against the Chiefs.

I didn’t make any comments about Seattle’s decision making and I don’t think Hopkins is a god. I simply think he’s worth more than a 2nd round pick and he’s certainly worth more than Cooks. Maybe David Johnson will surprise and reset the clock to 2017. The Cooks pickup looks better if the season is delayed and he has more time to recover. He’s got a lot of talent and I’m not foolish enough to think Goff was able to maximize it given that he’s always struggle to maximize elite deep threats.

The top LT averages $16.5M a year, which would put them somewhere around 7th in the WR list. The top WR averages $22M a year. Tell me again how the NFL values LTs way more than WR.
Rather than argue with you about how much a top player is paid I will simply post a link with the Average NFL Salary Breakdown by position.

Go look at the LT average salary in this league.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/

The Texans are getting ready to make Tunsil the highest paid LT in the NFL. This is absolutely one of the hardest positions to fill in the NFL.

On Clowney, it's pretty obvious the Texans and now Seattle have issues of value based on his asking price. The Texans actually got 2 decent roster players and a 3rd for him. The Texans made a good move there, better than Seattle.

The Texans are simply structuring their contracts around the players that fit their go forward philosophy and that is a proven philosophy used by multiple teams. Watson will soon be a top 2 salary at his position and Tunsil the LT will be top at his. D line is already expensive with Watt.

Not saying Hopkins isn't good. Just don't think he is worth 20 million per year on the Texans and he will probably get that from the Cards or they will have the problem to deal with.
I think your methodology for establishing value makes no sense, but otherwise, I think we’re largely on the same page for the rest of this, just different opinions on what it means. No point in continuing to beat dead horses. Good discussion.

In closing, I hope the Cooks trade makes O’Brien look like a genius because I’d love to see Cooks get healthy and get back to his potential. I have some reservations about the Cardinals end of the Hopkins trade simply because of how much they invested at WR in last year’s draft and I think Keim is a bit of an idiot as far as NFL GMs go, but in pure value, I still think it looks good for Arizona.
I found the flaw in that methodology. When you look at the average salary numbers for LT vs. WR, as Ice wants you to do, it looks striking at first. 9.5 million for left tackles vs 2.5 for WRs? Maybe he's right.

But then you look a little further and you see that right tackles make 4.5 million, and tackles overall make 3.5. That doesn't make sense- if all left tackles make 9.5, and all right tackles make 4.5, how can the average for the entire position be 3.5?

Here's the answer- while there are over 150 tackles in the league, only 29 of them are designated as "Left Tackles" and those guys are mostly their teams' best tackle. Backups aren't labeled as left OR right tackles, they're just "tackles". It creates an asymmetric comparison, one that looks at 29 of the best tackles vs. every WR in the league (nearly 300 of them) many of whom are listed as WR but in practice are special teamers. If you looked at that sheet, you would also think the NFL valued free safeties over cornerbacks (they don't.)

As others have noticed, the top WRs clearly make more than the top tackles. The WR franchise tag figure is second only to quarterbacks. I think there's a pretty safe argument that LTs and WRs are valued pretty equally, but trying to definitively say that the NFL values LTs more ignores the best evidence.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:02 pm

It’s obvious the Texans value the LT position, Tunsil in this case way more than Hopkins.

I get people want to hang O’Brien from the highest tree, probably Hopkins owners, but the value they place on the position is evident by their actions.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:30 pm

Ice wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:52 amDecisions in the NFL go way beyond single players and WR's simply are not the most important pieces to NFL teams. They are important but nothing like LT's as an example.
Ice wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:02 pmIt’s obvious the Texans value the LT position, Tunsil in this case way more than Hopkins.

I get people want to hang O’Brien from the highest tree, probably Hopkins owners, but the value they place on the position is evident by their actions.
Life comes at you fast.

Has anybody been able to buy or sell Cooks post-trade? What did you give/get?

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:30 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:30 pm Has anybody been able to buy or sell Cooks post-trade? What did you give/get?
I offered pick 15 in a league for him, which was rejected. I kinda figured it would be, but you never know after last season. I did see someone move Aaron Jones for Cooks +1.06 (posted on another forum).
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:57 am

I sold cooks and foles for 1.08. Had sent the trade prior to the actual trade going down, but kept it up as I was looking to sell anyway.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:51 am

CGW wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:57 am I sold cooks and foles for 1.08. Had sent the trade prior to the actual trade going down, but kept it up as I was looking to sell anyway.
Superflex or nah?

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:11 pm

Little late, but I just read the details of the Tunsil deal. Here are some facts:

-He completely obliterated the tackle market- he’s the 3rd highest paid non-QB behind Mack and Donald.

-It’s only a three year extension, so as a 28 year old he can renegotiate in 2023

-of the 66 million, 58 is guaranteed

My god. Tunsil has all of the leverage in the world, because O’Brien gave it to him when he traded all of those picks and didn’t immediately extend him (like Chicago did with Mack). BOB is an idiot- they’re going to have 1/4 of the salary cap tied up into just Watson and Tunsil, and that’s assuming Watson doesn’t have the sense to walk away from this tire fire.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:26 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:11 pm Little late, but I just read the details of the Tunsil deal. Here are some facts:

-He completely obliterated the tackle market- he’s the 3rd highest paid non-QB behind Mack and Donald.

-It’s only a three year extension, so as a 28 year old he can renegotiate in 2023

My god. Tunsil has all of the leverage in the world, because O’Brien gave it to him when he traded all of those picks and didn’t immediately extend him (like Chicago did with Mack). BOB is an idiot- they’re going to have 1/4 of the salary cap tied up into just Watson and Tunsil, and that’s assuming Watson doesn’t have the sense to walk away from this tire fire.
I'd imagine Ramsey will command a boatload, too. Watson won't be able to walk away, he's under contract, and they can franchise him for years, too. He'd have the sense to realize it's in his best interest to take an early extension and a boatload of guaranteed money.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:38 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:11 pm Little late, but I just read the details of the Tunsil deal. Here are some facts:

Could this mean some bad news for David Johnson in 2021? 2.1M to cut. 9M to roster. 6.9M savings for those who don’t want to do the math. Will they potentially need that 6.9M elsewhere? Anyone quite familiar with what their cap situation may look like?

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:38 pm

Worried more about DJ in 2020

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:42 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:38 pm Worried more about DJ in 2020
Lol right? If I was a DJ owner, I'd be glad he's getting a shot at all this year

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:39 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:11 pm Tunsil has all of the leverage in the world, because O’Brien gave it to him when he traded all of those picks and didn’t immediately extend him (like Chicago did with Mack).
You're typing as if the Texans could force him into an extension. He had the same amount of leverage then.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:13 pm

Lotto4Life wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:39 am
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:11 pm Tunsil has all of the leverage in the world, because O’Brien gave it to him when he traded all of those picks and didn’t immediately extend him (like Chicago did with Mack).
You're typing as if the Texans could force him into an extension. He had the same amount of leverage then.
Yeah, you negotiate the extension before finalizing the trade, which is why I referenced what the Bears did with Mack. They negotiated the extension before the trade and signed the extension hours after the trade was finalized. Sorry, I thought that was more clear.

Here are two articles from immediately after the trade that slammed Houston in real time for not doing this:
https://sports.nbcsports.com/2019/09/02 ... sil-trade/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/vincentfra ... ff10b63959

Looks even worse after Trent Williams was acquired for a 3rd and a 5th. Even if the 49ers don't re-sign him, they're probably looking at a 3rd round comp pick that should only be a few slots later than the 3rd they sent away.

I genuinely wonder if the people defending BOB would similarly have defended Ryan Grigson while he ruined Andrew Luck's career.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Tue May 05, 2020 3:53 pm

Now that all the dust has settled, how do we think this WR Corps shakes out?

MFL has their projections as:

Watson 4000 yards
Cooks 800 yards
Fuller 700 yards
Cobb 600 yards
Stills 600 yards

My gut says Fuller is the WR1 while healthy, but honestly who knows.

Thoughts?
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Tue May 05, 2020 5:46 pm

if cooks plays hard again he'll easily go over 1000.

not the cooks that played the second half of last season, that guy won't get over 500.