General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Re: Brandin Cooks traded to Houston

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:25 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:54 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:27 pm
maxhyde wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:18 pm I get the criticism but in real football all the speed in KC made Damien Williams look like an top tier RB.
How do you think a better RB like Johnson is going to do catching underneath routes with those burners on the field and probably more DB's than LB's

Hate it if you like but that HOU offense is going to scare most teams in the NFL.
You can think that the Hopkins trade was bad AND acknowledge that Houston might have a good season. The effects of losing the 2nd for Cooks and losing Hopkins for David Johnson might not be felt this year, but they could be dramatic.
The money difference from a new contract they would need to pay Hopkins and the one they have with Cooks could be the difference needed to lock up Tunsel. They paid 2 firsts for the guy, so he needed to be the priority over Hopkins. The reality was, they couldn't afford Hopkins on a new deal with Tunsel and Watson looming. It really remains to be seen how this all unfolds, but they will have a very different team in a few years, no doubt.
Totally fair. But taking only #40 overall and DJs bad contract while giving a 4th when it seems pretty clear that BOB didn’t shop Hopkins and could have received more for him.

Howie Roseman’s comments in particular reminded me of the frustrated owner in your league who asked about a player last week, only to watch him given away for way less than he would have paid without even touching base.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:31 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:25 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:27 pm

You can think that the Hopkins trade was bad AND acknowledge that Houston might have a good season. The effects of losing the 2nd for Cooks and losing Hopkins for David Johnson might not be felt this year, but they could be dramatic.
The money difference from a new contract they would need to pay Hopkins and the one they have with Cooks could be the difference needed to lock up Tunsel. They paid 2 firsts for the guy, so he needed to be the priority over Hopkins. The reality was, they couldn't afford Hopkins on a new deal with Tunsel and Watson looming. It really remains to be seen how this all unfolds, but they will have a very different team in a few years, no doubt.
Totally fair. But taking only #40 overall and DJs bad contract while giving a 4th when it seems pretty clear that BOB didn’t shop Hopkins and could have received more for him.

Howie Roseman’s comments in particular reminded me of the frustrated owner in your league who asked about a player last week, only to watch him given away for way less than he would have paid without even touching base.
What comments were those? These ones?

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/eagl ... rade-talks

What I got out of it is the Eagles didn't want to give up picks in rounds 1 or 2, but offered players for Hopkins. It seems like if he did call Bob after the fact, that Bob said he liked DJ, and the 2nd over the players the Eagles offered. They didn't seem keen on the contract situation of Hopkins, either. I would have loved Hopkins in Philly, having Wentz in a lot of places, but it seems they valued their early picks more, and despite what some others said, it looks like there was no way they were giving up a first.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:39 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:31 pm

What I got out of it is the Eagles didn't want to give up picks in rounds 1 or 2, but offered players for Hopkins. It seems like if he did call Bob after the fact, that Bob said he liked DJ, and the 2nd over the players the Eagles offered. They didn't seem keen on the contract situation of Hopkins, either. I would have loved Hopkins in Philly, having Wentz in a lot of places, but it seems they valued their early picks more, and despite what some others said, it looks like there was no way they were giving up a first.
My takeaway is that it’s pretty clear Roseman thought his offer was comprehensively better. Maybe he didn’t offer the first, but who knows if he was willing to pay it. It seems weird that Stefon Diggs earner such a bigger haul, even when you compare his contract with the one that Hopkins wants, no?

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:06 pm

Haven't seen details of the new CBA. Any chance the salary cap gets lowered the next couple of years?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:06 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:39 pm

My takeaway is that it’s pretty clear Roseman thought his offer was comprehensively better. Maybe he didn’t offer the first, but who knows if he was willing to pay it. It seems weird that Stefon Diggs earner such a bigger haul, even when you compare his contract with the one that Hopkins wants, no?
Yeah, I think he did think his offer was better. However he did say that he didn't want to give up picks, and the contract was a concern, so I think he offered players, which contracts that's totals probably matched Hopkins on a new deal in value, which I doubt the Texans wanted. It also seems like that early 2nd Arizona offered was a big part of it.

What their ask is for us may be different, depending on their valuation of players they get in trades or where draft picks are."

'We talked about this. Why would you do it for this?' And they'll say, 'Well, I really like this player' or 'I like where this pick is.' So, I think there's a lot that goes into it, and we're not always in control of the results on that. And then, in terms of what we did there with draft picks, yeah, ideally, we didn't wanna give up any draft picks."

So it seems like they valued DJ, and that pick slot, and they also didn't want to give up picks (which they did for Slay, but only a 3rd and 5th) so it's highly unlikely they were offering anything in picks similar to what the Cards did. Most likely players, like I said, in my opinion.

As for Diggs, it's pretty clear the Bills probably over payed.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:25 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:06 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:39 pm

Yeah, I think he did think his offer was better. However he did say that he didn't want to give up picks, and the contract was a concern, so I think he offered players, which contracts that's totals probably matched Hopkins on a new deal in value, which I doubt the Texans wanted. It also seems like that early 2nd Arizona offered was a big part of it.

What their ask is for us may be different, depending on their valuation of players they get in trades or where draft picks are."

'We talked about this. Why would you do it for this?' And they'll say, 'Well, I really like this player' or 'I like where this pick is.' So, I think there's a lot that goes into it, and we're not always in control of the results on that. And then, in terms of what we did there with draft picks, yeah, ideally, we didn't wanna give up any draft picks."

So it seems like they valued DJ, and that pick slot, and they also didn't want to give up picks (which they did for Slay, but only a 3rd and 5th) so it's highly unlikely they were offering anything in picks similar to what the Cards did. Most likely players, like I said, in my opinion.

As for Diggs, it's pretty clear the Bills probably over payed.
Completely agree. We'll never know if BOB tried to get them to overpay for Hopkins or not.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:36 pm

ericanadian wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:34 am Anyone looking at the TEs in Houston? It’s clear that the team has lots of downfield presence and Cobb seems a solid slot option, but I would think there is still a lot of value to be had underneath.
Yep, curious if they keep their current depth chart or add to it. Been stashing Warring for awhile.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:42 pm

That is interesting. Fells and Akins both had decent seasons last year for TE. Fells moreso now that I look at the numbers. With all this speed on the outside, I wonder if they use the TE even more over the middle or if one of these WR will be used exclusively in the slot.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:23 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:42 pm That is interesting. Fells and Akins both had decent seasons last year for TE. Fells moreso now that I look at the numbers. With all this speed on the outside, I wonder if they use the TE even more over the middle or if one of these WR will be used exclusively in the slot.
Fells and Akins are pretty JAGish. Kahale Warring is the name to watch for: started football his senior year of high school, very raw prospect entering the league; but is a natural receiver with good athleticism, and YAC ability.... though he might still be too raw to take the reigns in 2020.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:42 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:04 am It’s hard to look at this without the context of the Hopkins deal. Having said that, they gave less than a late second to get a talented 26 year old WR with significant injury concerns on what is now a very reasonable contract. It’s a relatively good trade.
I agree with this. It's a good injury discount on a talented WR that will likely help this win now team more in 20/21 than the 57th pick. It's a decent deal, just doesn't make up for the dumb Hopkins trade.
On the Hopkins trade, Does it seem like BOB just values RBs a lot higher than the rest of the league? They also gave up a 3rd for Duke and a 5th for Hyde last year.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:02 pm

ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:42 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:04 am It’s hard to look at this without the context of the Hopkins deal. Having said that, they gave less than a late second to get a talented 26 year old WR with significant injury concerns on what is now a very reasonable contract. It’s a relatively good trade.
I agree with this. It's a good injury discount on a talented WR that will likely help this win now team more in 20/21 than the 57th pick. It's a decent deal, just doesn't make up for the dumb Hopkins trade.
On the Hopkins trade, Does it seem like BOB just values RBs a lot higher than the rest of the league? They also gave up a 3rd for Duke and a 5th for Hyde last year.
Hyde did put up 1000 yards and helped their playoff run. Not terrible use of a 5th. Will they get a comp pick for losing him as a FA, too?

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:28 pm

maxhyde wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:18 pm I get the criticism but in real football all the speed in KC made Damien Williams look like an top tier RB.
How do you think a better RB like Johnson is going to do catching underneath routes with those burners on the field and probably more DB's than LB's

Hate it if you like but that HOU offense is going to scare most teams in the NFL.
Have to agree with this. The Texans are going to scare a lot of teams next season. They have a solid QB and now they have team speed. Sounds a bit like the Ravens and KC.

For all those that think the Texans coach is an idiot, remember when many thought he was nuts for trading Clowney to Seattle.

He got Mingo, Martin, and a 3rd rounder..What did Seattle get again..... a few games as Clowney didn't resign.

Hopkins is a good WR but highly doubt his stats will be as good this year. People might want to move past that move and wait and see. This Coach/GM makes bold moves and so far his track record isn't terrible.

Texans have won back to back division titles.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:43 am

Ice wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:28 pm

Have to agree with this. The Texans are going to scare a lot of teams next season. They have a solid QB and now they have team speed. Sounds a bit like the Ravens and KC.

For all those that think the Texans coach is an idiot, remember when many thought he was nuts for trading Clowney to Seattle.

He got Mingo, Martin, and a 3rd rounder..What did Seattle get again..... a few games as Clowney didn't resign.

Hopkins is a good WR but highly doubt his stats will be as good this year. People might want to move past that move and wait and see. This Coach/GM makes bold moves and so far his track record isn't terrible.

Martin and Mingo are non-factors and Clowney should net a 3rd round compensatory pick.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:20 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:43 am

Martin and Mingo are non-factors and Clowney should net a 3rd round compensatory pick.
Not if he signs after mid may.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:39 am

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:20 am
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:43 am

Not if he signs after mid may.
Which is conceivable, and is probably why he remains unsigned. You’re right, and it’s why I phrased that as “should” instead of “will”. I wonder how motivated Clowney’s camp is to get a contract before the draft?