Stop calling Sammy Watkins a stud

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: I know why Sammie has underachieved (not injuries)

Postby dynastyninja » Thu May 14, 2020 11:10 am

I finally fell for Sammy's trap last season. Hadn't really owned him before. After his Week 1 I thought I had struck gold. Add me to the long list of owners who've learned not to invest in him (I'm late to the party clearly).

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Fri May 15, 2020 5:08 pm

He is great in best ball type leagues

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri May 15, 2020 7:19 pm

slaughterrt wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:08 pm He is great in best ball type leagues
Best ball type leagues?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri May 15, 2020 8:44 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:19 pm
slaughterrt wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:08 pm He is great in best ball type leagues
Best ball type leagues?
Ones that score bonus points for Hammy's pulled and Bleacher reports posted about them

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Sat May 16, 2020 7:14 am

_yeti wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:42 pm IT'S BECAUSE HE IS CERTIFIABLY CRAZY.

I would quote the part but the whole thing is NUTS. You have to read this, and it will probably make you sprint to trade him

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/288 ... s-believes
A really good reminder that these guys are human beings and that as a result, mental makeup matters a ton. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you've got major issues above the shoulders, undiagnosed/untreated personality disorders or addictions, and/or are drafted by a team/league totally incapable of addressing your psychological needs, things can go badly wrong. The Watkins story doesn't go as off the reservation as Barrett Robbins, or the late Eddie Griffin, but reading it definitely underlined the importance of mental health as well as mental makeup.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat May 16, 2020 7:17 am

stoneghost28 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:14 am
_yeti wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:42 pm IT'S BECAUSE HE IS CERTIFIABLY CRAZY.

I would quote the part but the whole thing is NUTS. You have to read this, and it will probably make you sprint to trade him

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/288 ... s-believes
A really good reminder that these guys are human beings and that as a result, mental makeup matters a ton. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you've got major issues above the shoulders, undiagnosed/untreated personality disorders or addictions, and/or are drafted by a team/league totally incapable of addressing your psychological needs, things can go badly wrong. The Watkins story doesn't go as off the reservation as Barrett Robbins, or the late Eddie Griffin, but reading it definitely underlined the importance of mental health as well as mental makeup.
Exactly. This is the big element that none of us really have a feel for. Watkins looked great on tape, looked great analytically, and even though he's still had a successful career financially and won a Super Bowl, he has not lived up to his own individual hype.

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Sat May 16, 2020 8:00 am

This just makes me feel bad for him. He is clearly suffering from some mental illness. And having been through what he has that's not terribly surprising. Not that it's necessarily unique among football players but still I can see how having a bunch of people you know killed sometimes in front of you can mess you up. Sounds like he's getting his life on track even if he has some seeming psychosis at the same time. Good for him.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Sat May 16, 2020 1:30 pm

Heard Sammy is top play in "Crystal Ball" leagues

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Sat May 16, 2020 3:19 pm

Csl312 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:00 am This just makes me feel bad for him. He is clearly suffering from some mental illness. And having been through what he has that's not terribly surprising. Not that it's necessarily unique among football players but still I can see how having a bunch of people you know killed sometimes in front of you can mess you up. Sounds like he's getting his life on track even if he has some seeming psychosis at the same time. Good for him.
Otoh, sometimes I can hear devoutly religious people speak about certain aspects of their faith, beliefs, and they sound no different and in some cases, much more delusional than Watkins, like that raging dip---- a month ago rambling about how Jesus' blood would protect her when she was driving too or from church, didn't seem to get that the issue was every bit as much about who she could give covid too and not simply how protected she might be in her church going and Walmart shopping (post Jesus Blood Shower or whatever the hell she was blathering about engaging in).

This isn't to say that Watkins doesn't come off as a loon, he absolutely comes off as someone who suffers from some mental health issues, but then when you dig into people's beliefs, particularly w/regards to faith, what comes out of their mouth is often incoherent, nonsense at best, and delusional, potentially self-destructive and harmful to others b------ at worst. It's one of those funny things about people's faith and beliefs, those who have religious beliefs often have a strong ability to deconstruct, and ridicule the beliefs of others in the present, and especially in the past, but can't scrutinize their own nearly so well.

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Sat May 16, 2020 4:53 pm

That's all fair and I don't disagree. But a sudden change where it sounds like he thinks he is seeing "evil" creatures is pretty suspicious for clinical delusions and psychosis. Especially given his substance abuse. Age is right for it too. Obviously I'm not diagnosing the guy from an article I read but it sounds like he has some form of mental illness to me (depression or bipolar disorder with psychotic features, schizophrenia, etc). Hopefully that's not the case and he's just going all flat earth on us. But if it is I hope he gets help.

But again point taken many religious people also sound like they have mental illness too - society just accepts that behavior more readily.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Sat May 16, 2020 5:42 pm

imagine paying a person millions of dollars to do a job for you and then they go out every night and drink the night away. screw those kind of players.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sat May 16, 2020 11:13 pm

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:42 pm imagine paying a person millions of dollars to do a job for you and then they go out every night and drink the night away. screw those kind of players.
Meh, goes both ways. Imagine putting your body and mind on the line for an organization and inept coaching/ownership pisses your career away or doesn't give you a chance you deserve.

Especially ownership, how many are born into wealth? The players work harder and risk more than the owners ever do
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant