ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Sammy Watkins - Hold or Sell?

Postby ArrylT » Fri May 10, 2019 6:04 pm

Goddard wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:01 am
ArrylT wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:41 pm
Goddard wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:25 pm

These numbers seem very arbitrary. I don't know what the percentage is of late 1st panning out, but it's got to be higher than Sammy staying healthy AND putting up WR1 numbers. 40% of a full season of "potential" WR1 is also misleading. What's the percentage that he will be a WR1 if he's healthy? Maybe 50%? So that's 50% chance that he's a WR1 with a 40% chance of staying healthy all season? That probably puts his odds of staying healthy AND being a WR1 at something like 20%? That's less than the 25% you give for late 1sts panning out.
Meh all the numbers are arbitrary. I personally do not believe that there is a locked in 60% chance of Watkins getting injured versus say only a 20% chance for a different WR. Nor do I believe there is an locked 25% chance a late 1st rookie pick is a hit. It could be lower it could be higher. I just chose what I feel most people think is the perceived hit rate.

The point being made is that you're taking a risk either way. If you believe this 60% injury chance, then there is still a 40% chance the opposite occurs. If you believe most late 1sts have high bust rates, you still have a chance at a hit. Of course that all depends on what one calls a hit. To me Jordan Matthews was a hit based on where he was drafted & the WR2 & the WR3 seasons you got out of him. But for many he is an out and out bust.

It all depends on your expectations of production - be it stud / starter / depth or what.

After all for Watkins we're only talking about his 2019 season - and depending on ones definition of a fantasy hit, he has already hit (and the odds a player who has hit can hit again are I believe higher than the odds of someone who has not hit can hit at all).

Whereas for the rookie we're talking about a chance he hits 1x over the course of X # of years. That hit could be this year, or next, or 2021 or never.

Also since when is potential misleading? potential means possible - it doesnt mean guaranteed. If you or anyone else wishes to read into that that its guaranteed that is up to you. But for me it means exactly that. A chance at a potential WR1 season. So like I said each owenr has to do their own rationalizing. Do I gamble on the 40% chance he is healthy and can have a potential WR1 season this year, or do I gamble on the late 1st and the "25%" he pans out over the course of his career.
Agree, it's all arbitrary which is why I wanted to follow it up with my own arbitrary numbers and point out that none of this means anything. And you keep bringing up the 40% chance that he stays healthy. Sure, let's say that's the actual percentage, but it's still not guaranteed that if he stays healthy he becomes a WR1. Me saying it was misleading was because you made it sound like that there's a 40% chance he stays healthy, meaning there's a 40% chance that he's a WR1. That's not the case. Either way, I think everyone will agree to disagree with Sammy and I don't expect anyone to change their minds on his value based on this thread.
Just going off that injurypredictor site saying 60% of injury. I suppose there is a chance of suspension, being kindnapped or abducted by alients ;) - I simply chose to assume that 60% injury chance meant 40% of no injury. So if someone believes that this 60% is legit, then the 40% should be legit as well. *shrugs*

(not responding specifically to Goddard now)

And we wont know until 2020 (or beyond) which call is the right one. And it might not even be the one that has the best odds. I would assume the majority of owners polled at this exact time last year that the odds Lindsay would have 1000 yards after going UDFA would be like 5% or less.

Sometimes the right call is the safe call, but some times it is the risky path. The whole point of the boom/bust profile is that if you gamble the right amount and you get the boom you win big time. Drafting SB at 1.01 is not rocket science, but you're basically counting on Barkley to produce that top 5 RB season as a given. Late 1st selections historically are not always safe bets. Neither is Watkins perhaps but which one is going to have more potential impact on your roster?

Last year (17-18 season) in a fantasy hockey draft I took McKinnon in the 9th round of a draft (like selection 130). McKinnon at that point was basically like a Sammy Watkins - someone who had flashed plenty of potential, but for whatever reason (health or otherwise) had not had that elite season. There were plenty of safer floor guys I could have taken but you dont win without having some boom/bust guys.

That year he exploded. Was the 8th most productive player in the league. And I got him for a song. Needless to say in the 18-19 draft, he went in the 1st round.

Yes that was re-draft, and yes this is dynasty, but the same principle applies - decide what your risk tolerance is, and when/where to add those guys whose potential suggest boom.

In the end it is all up to every owner to decide their own risk assessment. Where each owner decides that cost is up to them. For some the shot of Damien Williams > than late 1st. For others it will be late 1st > Watkins. All I know is that there is a good chance he is going to be healthy, and there is a potential at a WR1 season. And you want these guys on your team when they blow up.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/player ... ina01.html

for those interested. :)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Fri May 10, 2019 6:42 pm

Worth mentioning that the chance of injury is the chance that the player "misses at least 2 quarters", not chance of a season ending injury or something. Obviously it could be more, but that percentage would be lower. Also, Sammy can still have a good year while missing 1 game due to injury, for instance.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Fri May 10, 2019 6:55 pm

Have FINALLY started seeing some sites indicating Watkins is way undervalued. I wish I hadn't already bought him damn near everywhere because the current going rate is a steal.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Tue May 21, 2019 5:07 pm

Sammy sure sounds excited.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1130648407599702016

ICYMI: WR Sammy Watkins’ success much more about “durability" than “availability”

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Tue May 21, 2019 5:10 pm

One more on Sammy's rise in KC.

Peter Schrager says Chiefs wide receiver Sammy Watkins “looks incredible”, but then says... "It could just be spin."

Doh!

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/5/2 ... incredible

DelawareRiverEagles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DelawareRiverEagles » Thu May 23, 2019 1:22 pm

Hold unless you have someone that is buying in on the hype real hard.

DelawareRiverEagles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DelawareRiverEagles » Thu May 23, 2019 1:24 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:01 am Via Fantasy Sharks, MFL projects a 65-1028-8 line. Again according to their projections, that would be 20th among WRs in yards and 32nd in receptions.

For context, Robby Anderson is projected for a 68-966-8 line.
I can't believe Robby Anderson didn't get suspended.
"On January 19, 2018, Anderson was arrested at 2:15 A.M. in Sunrise, Florida. Nine charges have been filed against Anderson, according to police records: resisting an officer/obstruction without violence; felony harm to a public servant or family; felony fleeing/eluding while lights/siren active; reckless driving; failure to drive in a single lane; two counts of disobeying/avoiding a red light; speeding; and turning without a signal.[40] On April 3, 2018, the felony charges were dismissed.[41][42] On June 20, 2018, Anderson pleaded no contest to five charges for traffic violations and received six months probation."

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Thu May 23, 2019 2:54 pm

1. Very talented player as exemplified by the flashes he's shown on the field, the draft capital, and the fact that KC and many other teams were willing to give him high end WR $ as a FA
2. On the best offense in the NFL w/ the best young QB in the NFL
3. He's the clear WR1 on such offense now, his only real competition being an extremely raw rookie.

Even if you're done with him, I have to think his value is going to rise the closer we get to September.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR
QB: MRyan, MJones, CNewton, RFitz
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, JMixon, AJDillon, LMurray, DarWilliams, GBernard
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson
TE: JSmith, ISmith, ZErtz

Team 2 - 16 team, PPR, SF
QB: JBurrow, CWentz, ZWilson, Jimmy G
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, BSnell, TGurley, DGuice
WR: JChase, BAiyuk, CSutton, THiggins, JJeudy, JReagor, BEdwards
TE: ISmith, HarBryant, DSample, TTremble

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:20 pm

Man I loved Sammy when he came out, I grabbed him in a couple leagues. But I sold my shares years ago during one of the sell high windows, and have never attempted to re-attain his services.
I am feeling the pull now though, would like to own him somewhere. My only fear is that I’ve waited too long. I know he’s considered a value to some, but it seems like the cat is out of the bag in my leagues. If the value I’m seeing on him in my leagues is indicative of his general perceived value, then I think Sammy is turning from a buy to a sell pretty quickly, maybe even by the time I finish typing these words.

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Thu May 23, 2019 8:26 pm

sugbear65 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:20 pm Man I loved Sammy when he came out, I grabbed him in a couple leagues. But I sold my shares years ago during one of the sell high windows, and have never attempted to re-attain his services.
I am feeling the pull now though, would like to own him somewhere. My only fear is that I’ve waited too long. I know he’s considered a value to some, but it seems like the cat is out of the bag in my leagues. If the value I’m seeing on him in my leagues is indicative of his general perceived value, then I think Sammy is turning from a buy to a sell pretty quickly, maybe even by the time I finish typing these words.
I've still got shares left still and still think it would be a good window to try and buy. Sure his value is higher than it was pre Tyreek Hill suspension but imo it's nowhere near what it'll be next off season because that's going to be the sell window. Or during the season when he has a 25 point game. I just feel like without Hunt and Hill taking up targets, + growth in Mahomes is going to mean Watkins as the #1 should pretty easily post top 15 WR numbers. I'm also operating under the assumption Hill won't be playing for KC this year, I don't think they can survive any additional backlash considering they knew the history of Hill before the draft and also have had some stains on personnel moves.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Fri May 24, 2019 6:04 am

hoos89 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:19 pm
murphysxm wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:43 pm
Shcritters wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:39 pm If he stays healthy he will be a top 10 WR this year
Yeah, agree to disagree.Too many teams, too many chances to succeed, too many disappointments for me. If you still own Sammy, you think like Shcritters and will not being moving him.........
Eh...his main issue has almost always been health. He was a WR2 when healthy last year and showed some flashes...put up solid numbers in the playoffs. Put up huge numbers when down the stretch in 2015, although it's fair to question whether he's the same player post-foot injury. He's someone who I think can flourish given enough volume in that offense, and with Hunt out of the picture for good and Hill out for now (and maybe also for good), the opportunity is definitely there. I just wonder whether he can stay healthy.
Was he injured in LA? I don't think he was but failed to make a real impact, meanwhile, Woods, Cooks, and Kupp have all been able to put up better numbers consistently in a similar situation. Watkins is who he is and I think if you believe he is going to magically turn into a top 10 WR all of a sudden then you are fooling yourself because you have him on your roster.

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:04 am

Chwf3rd wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:54 pm 1. Very talented player as exemplified by the flashes he's shown on the field, the draft capital, and the fact that KC and many other teams were willing to give him high end WR $ as a FA
3. He's the clear WR1 on such offense now, his only real competition being an extremely raw rookie.

Even if you're done with him, I have to think his value is going to rise the closer we get to September.
In fairness, the #1 receiving target is still Kelce. That said, being Mahomes' #2 target has huge value (see Hill last season).

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
Andrews, McBride, Engram

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri May 24, 2019 8:20 am

Take the injury equation out of things, let's only look at games Sammy actually played football in. For his career, including the magical 2015 year, Sammy averages 3.74 catches, 57.6 yards and .45 TD's per game. THAT IS NOT ELITE.

Sammy is a borderline WR 2/3 that consistently gets valued as a low end WR1. He's not, even when he is healthy.

Everybody has their opinions on him and Hill playing or not likely will change nothing for people's perceptions
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri May 24, 2019 8:41 am

hoos89 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:04 am
Chwf3rd wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:54 pm 1. Very talented player as exemplified by the flashes he's shown on the field, the draft capital, and the fact that KC and many other teams were willing to give him high end WR $ as a FA

In fairness, the #1 receiving target is still Kelce. That said, being Mahomes' #2 target has huge value (see Hill last season).
Hill and Watkins aren't the same though, and I think it's a mistake to just simply think Sammy will slot into a similar target share as Hill simply because he's next man up. Watkins hasn't been able to put top over 600 yards since 2015, and I think most would think he would this year. I think it's a great time to sell. He is injury prone, and given the situation has given a rise to his value, now is a great time to get out on this underachieving player. The problem with waiting until September or closer to, as Chwf3D states, is that Sammy has the potential to get hurt between now and then.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:57 am

murphysxm wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:20 am Take the injury equation out of things, let's only look at games Sammy actually played football in. For his career, including the magical 2015 year, Sammy averages 3.74 catches, 57.6 yards and .45 TD's per game. THAT IS NOT ELITE.

Sammy is a borderline WR 2/3 that consistently gets valued as a low end WR1. He's not, even when he is healthy.

Everybody has their opinions on him and Hill playing or not likely will change nothing for people's perceptions
I haven't seen Sammy valued as a top 12 dynasty WR since he first broke his foot. Current valuations are more like low WR2.

Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
Andrews, McBride, Engram

Kelce, Dissly, Hooper