Stop calling Sammy Watkins a stud

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Re: Watkins to Chiefs

Postby pvillebiker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:49 pm

Laughing at all the fine peeps so pained that the Chefs (over)paid the $16 mill per for Sammy, as if it's their $ or that it matters if they actually overpaid. This if fantasy football. There's no crying in fantasy -- oh wait wrong narrative -- all we care is if he scores points or not. I'm betting he does in Reid's offense, but I suspect Sammy's production will more resemble Cooks boom-or-bust stat lines than his good 1/2 season in Buffalo. At least the first year while junior is learning the ropes.

oh yeah, Robert Woods is gonna fold like the lawn chair he is unless the rams bring in legit WR1 replacement. To intentionally mis-quote Clint, "the rams are looking for a few good WR's, and you ain't it Robert Woods!" LOL

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:04 pm

I disagree on the Robert Woods thought. I think there is more to that kid. He may not be an NFL prototypical wr1, but, he had good to great chemistry with Goff. That shouldn't be minimized as much as it is around here if we are all being objective and honest.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

TryingToWin
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby TryingToWin » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:29 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:46 pm Anyone on this forum should know by now, I am a HUGE Sammy truther. I love his talent.

But every time someone says "They wouldn't have paid him $16M/y to be an ancillary piece", I can't help but think "Ok but didn't we say the same thing about the Rams paying a 2nd for him??".

2nd round picks are real capital. Teams don't just throw them around lightly.

Actually, no, 2nd round picks are not real capital. Plain and simple, they’re not. Try telling an owner that signs checks from his money that a 2nd round pick has any sort of monetary semblance to $48 million. One options costs them nothing, the other costs $48 million.
Last edited by TryingToWin on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

metalmat
Starter
Starter

Postby metalmat » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:30 pm

I continue to think Mahomes is the real deal and this only helps him
14 Tm ppr (rebuilding)
QB Wentz, Carr, MacJ
RB Mixon, Ty'son, Gaskin, McKinnon, Coleman, David Johnson, Freeman, Darrel Williams, J.Patrick, Ahmed, Dobbins, Hasty
WR Hopkins, T.Patrick, E.Moore
TE Jarwin, Ertz, Knox, Tremble
Picks: 22 (1,1,1,2,2,3) 23 (1,1,1,2,2,3)

12 Tm .5 ppr
QB Stafford, Hurts, MacJ, KMond
RB Zeke, Fournette, White, Mostert, Coleman, Pollard, Dallas, Perine, B.Scott, Nwangwu, Hawkins
WR Amari, Tyreek, KA, Chark, Renfrow, Agholor, Patterson
TE Fant, Knox, Doyle, Allie-Cox

12 Tm SF, TE+, ppr
QB Ryan, Winston, Mills, Minshew, Tua
RB Gordon, Carson, Harris, Hunt, Duke, D'Ernest, Dillon
WR Jefferson, Boyd, Ruggs, Davis, Parker, Hamler, Robby, Miller, E.Moore, Rodgers, Tre'Quan
TE Hooper, Conklin, Jarwin, Doyle, JuwanJ

14 Tm ppr
QB Stafford, Bridgewater, Fields
RB Hines, Harris, R.Jones, Murray, Freeman, J,Kelley, Hasty
WR Tyreek, C.Ridley, J.Chase, Aiyuk, Hardman, Renfrow, Campbell, Eskridge, Tre'quan
TE Kittle, Freiermuth, Kroft

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:08 pm

JFever wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:04 pm I disagree on the Robert Woods thought. I think there is more to that kid. He may not be an NFL prototypical wr1, but, he had good to great chemistry with Goff. That shouldn't be minimized as much as it is around here if we are all being objective and honest.
I doubt Woods will fold in half, but it's worth noting that Watkins ran more downfield routes than all Rams WR's and took away the opponent's best CB. Now, Woods will be tasked with this. It's a significant adjustment.

gateway400
Role Player
Role Player

Postby gateway400 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:18 pm

I am on the fence. One side of me, as a Watkins owner, wants to believe he won't face much double coverage so this could be amazing for fantasy. My assumption is defensive coordinators will try to neutralize Hill as much as possible. The other side of me believes he could struggle to get 1,000 yards with so many mouths to feed. I think the Brandin Cooks/Desean Jackson comparisons could be legit. 6 receptions 180 yards 2 TDs one week.....2 receptions 20 yards 0 TDs the following week.
1/2 ppr, 1ppr for TE, $200 Salary Cap, 10 teams, Start 1-2 QB, 1-4 RB, 2-7 WR, 1-4 TE, 1 K, 1 Def

QB: B. Mayfield($4-13), J. Garoppollo($1-7)
RB: L. Bowden ($1), JD McKissick($1)
WR: K. Golladay($2-6), C. Sutton($4-8), C. Davis($12-9), M. Williams($9-7), A. Lazard($5-5), K. Cole($8), D. Duverney($4-5), V. Jefferson($3-5), D. Peoples-Jones($3)
TE: M. Gesicki ($4-4), A. Hooper($1-4), O.J. Howard ($7-5), T. Conklin($1)
K: C. Boswell($1)
Def: Football Team D($1)

Taxi Squad (7 players max): J. Jefferson($4), C. Claypool($4), N. Fant($4), M. Pittman($4), D. Mims($4), B. Edwards($4), J. Stidham($1)

Draft Picks: 2021: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th picks 2022: 6 - 1sts & 5 - 2nds

Trophy Room:
2020: 8th Place
2019: 5th Place Blew up team for tons of picks!
2018: 1st Place! CHAMPIONSHIP!!! 3peat! :dance:
2017: 1st Place! Championship!!
2016: 1st Place! Championship!
2015: 3rd Place
2014: 4th Place
2013: 8th Place

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:26 pm

gateway400 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:18 pm I am on the fence. One side of me, as a Watkins owner, wants to believe he won't face much double coverage so this could be amazing for fantasy. My assumption is defensive coordinators will try to neutralize Hill as much as possible. The other side of me believes he could struggle to get 1,000 yards with so many mouths to feed. I think the Brandin Cooks/Desean Jackson comparisons could be legit. 6 receptions 180 yards 2 TDs one week.....2 receptions 20 yards 0 TDs the following week.
I think you're backwards on this. They will put the 6'1" 210 lb Watkins as the X and the 5'10" 185 lb
Hill as the flanker. Which receiver do defenses usually put their #1 corner on?

gateway400
Role Player
Role Player

Postby gateway400 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:41 pm

Bot101 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:26 pm
gateway400 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:18 pm I am on the fence. One side of me, as a Watkins owner, wants to believe he won't face much double coverage so this could be amazing for fantasy. My assumption is defensive coordinators will try to neutralize Hill as much as possible. The other side of me believes he could struggle to get 1,000 yards with so many mouths to feed. I think the Brandin Cooks/Desean Jackson comparisons could be legit. 6 receptions 180 yards 2 TDs one week.....2 receptions 20 yards 0 TDs the following week.
I think you're backwards on this. They will put the 6'1" 210 lb Watkins as the X and the 5'10" 185 lb
I'm not sure that I understand how your question relates here. My assumption of doubling the extremely versatile Z....would likely put the best corner on the X. I'm confused about what your trying to disprove/argue with me about here. If you were a defensive coordinator, who would you be most worried about making you look foolish....for me, it'd be Hill.
1/2 ppr, 1ppr for TE, $200 Salary Cap, 10 teams, Start 1-2 QB, 1-4 RB, 2-7 WR, 1-4 TE, 1 K, 1 Def

QB: B. Mayfield($4-13), J. Garoppollo($1-7)
RB: L. Bowden ($1), JD McKissick($1)
WR: K. Golladay($2-6), C. Sutton($4-8), C. Davis($12-9), M. Williams($9-7), A. Lazard($5-5), K. Cole($8), D. Duverney($4-5), V. Jefferson($3-5), D. Peoples-Jones($3)
TE: M. Gesicki ($4-4), A. Hooper($1-4), O.J. Howard ($7-5), T. Conklin($1)
K: C. Boswell($1)
Def: Football Team D($1)

Taxi Squad (7 players max): J. Jefferson($4), C. Claypool($4), N. Fant($4), M. Pittman($4), D. Mims($4), B. Edwards($4), J. Stidham($1)

Draft Picks: 2021: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th picks 2022: 6 - 1sts & 5 - 2nds

Trophy Room:
2020: 8th Place
2019: 5th Place Blew up team for tons of picks!
2018: 1st Place! CHAMPIONSHIP!!! 3peat! :dance:
2017: 1st Place! Championship!!
2016: 1st Place! Championship!
2015: 3rd Place
2014: 4th Place
2013: 8th Place

broncohead
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby broncohead » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:51 pm

Watkins doesn't have a #1 CB follow him with the rams and it won't happen with kc...
48 team, 4 copy league, QB, RB, WR, WR, TE, SF, 4 flex
QB - Wentz, Tannehill, Mayfield, Jones, Alex Smith
RB - Chubb, Hunt, Swift, Akers, Henderson, Mostert, Mack, Bowden, Hill
WR - AJ Brown, DJ Moore, Gabriel Davis, Slayton, Hamler, Isabella
TE - Fant, Burton, Firkser, Keene, Okuegbunam
2021 Draft - 1.09, 3rd

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:11 pm

gateway400 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:41 pm
Bot101 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:26 pm
I'm not sure that I understand how your question relates here. My assumption of doubling the extremely versatile Z....would likely put the best corner on the X. I'm confused about what your trying to disprove/argue with me about here. If you were a defensive coordinator, who would you be most worried about making you look foolish....for me, it'd be Hill.
""What a lot of people forget is that the actual league really doesn’t look at it in terms of “wide receiver one” and “wide receiver two” based on past or weekly production. They look at the individual positions: split end, flanker, slot, tight end.

A team like the Chiefs that has a TE that plays nearly every snap and has a fullback will run a lot of TE, split end (X), flanker sets (Z). So you have choose one WR to play split end and have his foot tethered to the line of scrimmage while the other WR plays flanker a yard back where he can go in motion etc. Who are the Chiefs gunna have at the X most the time - 5’10 185 pound Tyreek or 6’1 210 pound Sammy?

So what you will likely see is having Sammy face a lot of the big physical corners in press coverage which for a lot of teams is their best corner (an example of an exception would be the year the Pats had Brandon Browner typically cover the biggest receiver because of his size and then have Darrelle Revis lock down the flanker for most of the game). Regardless, Sammy is going to face a lot of jams and his signing should really go a long way in helping Tyreek but it’s yet to be seen how much it will help his own value. Gotta remember that Sammy actually faced the better coverage for most of the year while Robert Woods flourished.""

Someone sent that post to me from wherever he gets his dynasty info from. So thats not my take, just very well laid out and detailed.

DrNoish
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DrNoish » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:27 pm

I love this signing for KC. They seemed to have a hard time closing games and though a long spurts, weren't quite as high powered as they apparently desired. Teams seem to be better lately on surrounding their apparent franchise QB's with talent. I love Sammy and his upside, only sold him for realized upside rather than hoping. It'll still be a "wait and see" deal, but the optimism is that it will be very difficult for teams to look for runs with both Sammy and Hill stretching everything and Kelce mopping up. Sammy could win going here, but I think all other KC skill players truly win in this. Wish I had Mahomes shares right now.
12 Team PPR 1QB - 1RB - 1WR - 2RB/WR - 1TE

KUPP the Balls
QB- Herbert, Hurts, Newton
RB- Montgomery, RoJo, Lindsay, Michel, Gurley, Vaughn, Foreman
WR- Lamb, Hopkins, Beckham, Metcalf, Cooks
TE- Kelce, Ertz
Picks 1.11, 2.04, 2022 1st

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:14 pm

TryingToWin wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:29 pm
lukkynumber13 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:46 pm Anyone on this forum should know by now, I am a HUGE Sammy truther. I love his talent.

But every time someone says "They wouldn't have paid him $16M/y to be an ancillary piece", I can't help but think "Ok but didn't we say the same thing about the Rams paying a 2nd for him??".

Actually, no, 2nd round picks are not real capital. Plain and simple, they’re not. Try telling an owner that signs checks from his money that a 2nd round pick has any sort of monetary semblance to $48 million. One options costs them nothing, the other costs $48 million.
If you're gonna argue that 2nd round picks aren't looked at as hugely valuable to NFL teams, then we aren't in the same universe. I don't know how else to say it. 2nd round picks are not tossed around lightly.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

ppm
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ppm » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:32 am

Excellent fit for the Chiefs, not so good for Watkins' fantasy value. An upgrade from the Rams but very disappointing considering the 49ers and Packers were possibilities. Hill lives and dies on big plays rather than volume so I don't think this hurts him and it could potentially help. Mahomes is legit so this offense should be really fun to watch if Andy Reid doesn't get in his own way.

TryingToWin
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby TryingToWin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:38 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:14 pm
TryingToWin wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:29 pm

If you're gonna argue that 2nd round picks aren't looked at as hugely valuable to NFL teams, then we aren't in the same universe. I don't know how else to say it. 2nd round picks are not tossed around lightly.

They aren’t tossed around lightly but they aren’t $48 million dollars.

dmac37
Role Player
Role Player

Postby dmac37 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:24 am

My initial reaction as a Sammy owner was "really" and "oh crap". After seeing what they paid him, I got to believe he will see a decent amount of targets.

I also have a little different view that probably won't be very popular, Kelce's targets may go down. Seems to me he was being used like a WR, because of his talent and out of necessity. I think bringing Sammy in at that price changes Kelce's route running "some".
12 Team PPR Scoring:
QB: Purdy, Pickett, Howell, Rodgers
RB: Bijan, Kamara, A. Jones Spears Allgeier, Tucker, Hunt
WR: ARSB, Ridley, Nacua, E. Moore, Hollywood, Addison, Mingo, Mooney,
M. Thomas, Gallup
TE: Hockenson, Ferguson
PK:
DST: Ravens

12 Team Superflex PPR Scoring:
QB: Fields, Tua, Howell, White
RB: J. Taylor, A. Jones, Pierce, Swift , K. Miller, Hunt, Ford,
WR: Pittman, Deebo, Godwin, Ridley, Gabe Davis, E. Moore, Mooney, Toney, Q. Johnson
TE: Ferguson, Okonkwo L. Thomas