Draft Pick Lottery

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dlf_jeffh
Administrator

Draft Pick Lottery

Postby dlf_jeffh » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:29 pm

Question for the forum?

Any of you play in a league where the non playoff teams are awarded their draft slot based on lottery, similar to the NBA? So, determining the loose ranking at the end of the season and then the worst team has the best chance for the 1.01, next worst has the next best odds, etc.?

If so, how do you like it and how have you formatted the lottery to provide for descending odds as you move up the standings?
There is No Off-Season!

Jeff Haverlack
@dlf_Jeff
Co-Founder
http://www.dynastyleaguefootball.com

Dynos
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Draft Pick Lottery

Postby Dynos » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:09 pm

yep, we're in a 10 team leagues, last 4 who don't make playoff get balls. We use the number of pts in a season.

last get 10 balls
second 6 balls
third 3 balls
4th 1 ball

and to add the playoff for the last 4 they can win 2 more balls for the guy who win the last 2 matchups and 1 ball for the final loser.

5 and 6 play there matchup, the winner get the 5th pick.

all other keep there place.
2019 Champion! 2022 Champion!

Team 1: Superflex, Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 flex WR/TE,1 Sflex

QB:P. Mahomes, R.Tannehill, J.Hurts
RB: E.Elliott,James Robinson, Chris Carson, L.Fournette, T.Etienne , Tony Pollard,hassan haskins,donta foreman, jaylen warren
WR: Justin Jefferson A.J Brown, M.Thomas, Marquise Brown, T.Lockett, skyy moore, romeo doubs, alec pierce Donovan Peoples-Jones, J.Palmer
TE: kyle pitts, juwan johnson,mckitty

2021 Champion!
Team 2: Superflex, Start 1Qb, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex Wr/TE. 1 SFlex, 1 Flex RB/WR/TE
QB: J.Herbert, Z.Wilson, K.Cousins, K.Pickett,K.Mond
RB: J.Taylor, JK Dobbins, N.Harris, N.Hines, G.Edwards, James Cook, J.Ford, Dameon Pierce, P.Strong, D.Foreman (Jermaine Burton Devy)
WR: J.Chase,Garett Wilson , B.Aiyuk, C.Sutton, R.Bateman, G.Davis, M.Hardman,J.Palmer,
TE: D.Waller R.Tonyan, B.Jordan, Cameron Brate, Cade Otton, G.Everett

metalmat
Starter
Starter

Postby metalmat » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:03 pm

In my 1st dynasty league that's essentially a friends and family league we used to have a draft lottery but I wanted to get rid of it in the 2nd season and it passed. I determined that nobody was purposely tanking in the league and has not in the 3 years we have been together.
14 Tm ppr (rebuilding)
QB Wentz, Carr, MacJ
RB Mixon, Ty'son, Gaskin, McKinnon, Coleman, David Johnson, Freeman, Darrel Williams, J.Patrick, Ahmed, Dobbins, Hasty
WR Hopkins, T.Patrick, E.Moore
TE Jarwin, Ertz, Knox, Tremble
Picks: 22 (1,1,1,2,2,3) 23 (1,1,1,2,2,3)

12 Tm .5 ppr
QB Stafford, Hurts, MacJ, KMond
RB Zeke, Fournette, White, Mostert, Coleman, Pollard, Dallas, Perine, B.Scott, Nwangwu, Hawkins
WR Amari, Tyreek, KA, Chark, Renfrow, Agholor, Patterson
TE Fant, Knox, Doyle, Allie-Cox

12 Tm SF, TE+, ppr
QB Ryan, Winston, Mills, Minshew, Tua
RB Gordon, Carson, Harris, Hunt, Duke, D'Ernest, Dillon
WR Jefferson, Boyd, Ruggs, Davis, Parker, Hamler, Robby, Miller, E.Moore, Rodgers, Tre'Quan
TE Hooper, Conklin, Jarwin, Doyle, JuwanJ

14 Tm ppr
QB Stafford, Bridgewater, Fields
RB Hines, Harris, R.Jones, Murray, Freeman, J,Kelley, Hasty
WR Tyreek, C.Ridley, J.Chase, Aiyuk, Hardman, Renfrow, Campbell, Eskridge, Tre'quan
TE Kittle, Freiermuth, Kroft

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:18 pm

For one dynasty league I run:

14 - Draft Order shall be as such for Playoff teams

#12 - Champion
#11 - Runner Up
#10 - 3rd Place Playoffs
#9 - 4th Place
#8 - 5th Place
#7 - 6th Place

15 - Consolation teams will receive the following # of lottery entries

Consolation Champ - 8
Consolation Runner up - 6
3rd & 4th Place Consolation - 4
5th & 6th Place Consolation - 2
Last Place Regular Season - 4

Total # of Entries - 30
Therefore each entry has a 1 in 30 chance of being the winner.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:47 pm

Just so your data isn’t skewed by only yes results, 0/5 of my dynasty leagues use a lottery.

I don’t think it’s necessary. The NBA originated the lottery as an anti-tanking measure, and it has failed spectacularly in that regard. In fantasy, there are just better ways to prevent tanking, like using potential points to determine draft order for non-playoff teams.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:53 pm

Before we switched to a Best Possible Points system in a 10 team league I run, the 4 non-playoff teams were rewarded:
worst record; 4 balls
2nd worst record; 3 balls
3rd worst record; 2 balls
4th worst record; 1 ball
Total points were used as a tiebreaker
*edit: This system was only used to determine the first 4 picks of the draft and the later rounds were set by the records for the non-playoff teams.
We would also award playoff consolation winners the better of the 2 draft spots
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:20 am

Just one league like that, and only the top two picks are determined by a weighted lottery. I don't think it changes any team behavior and no one would mind if it were scrapped. Potential points is the way to go IMO.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Fastgulp
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Fastgulp » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:44 pm

I hold a toliet bracket for non playoff teams. Winner gets 4 balls, runner up gets 3, 3rd place 2, and 4th place 1 ball. Then I video the drawing but don't announce it until I put a video together to make it fun. Check it out:

https://youtu.be/-yNezeEQU7Q

smbkrypt24
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smbkrypt24 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:52 pm

Yes, I play in 3 leagues that the bottom 6 teams are in a lottery. It is equal among all 6 to receive 1-6 position in draft. I wish it was more weighted, but I do wonder if that would hurt/help tanking. I have seen total points and such as better options, but this is the leagues I play in and they don't seem like they will be changing anytime soon.
12 Team PPR Dynasty. Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 K, 1 D, 21 roster spots.

2013 Startup
Team 1- 3rd in 2023
QB: Herbert, B. Purdy, Fields
RB: Bijan, Barkley, Akers, Dobbins
WR: T. Hill, D. Johnson, JSN, Doubs, Meyers, Thomas, Toney
TE: Andrews, Likely, Dulcic

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 1, 2, 2

2019 Startup
Team 2- 4th in 2023
QB: Murray, Cousins, Wilson
RB: Bijan, Kamara, Dobbins, Rodriguez
WR: Chase, G. Wilson, D. Adams, Di. Johnson, M. Wilson, W. Robinson, R. Rice
TE: McBride, Pitts, Kmet, Likely

2024: 1.01, 1.06, 1.08, 2.09
2025: 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3

2021 Startup
Team 3- 11th in 2023
QB: Goff, Watson, Cousins, Levis, Rodgers, Young
RB: Gibbs, Pacheco, Dobbins
WR: Chase, J. Jefferson, JSN, Palmer, Mooney, Tillman
TE: Schultz, Pitts, Likely, Okonkwo

2024: 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 1.04, 2.03, 2.06, 2.07, 2.10, 3.03, 3.06, 3.08
2025: 1, 2, 3

dlf_jeffh
Administrator

Postby dlf_jeffh » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:37 pm

Fastgulp wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:44 pm I hold a toliet bracket for non playoff teams. Winner gets 4 balls, runner up gets 3, 3rd place 2, and 4th place 1 ball. Then I video the drawing but don't announce it until I put a video together to make it fun. Check it out:

https://youtu.be/-yNezeEQU7Q
That is AWESOME!
There is No Off-Season!

Jeff Haverlack
@dlf_Jeff
Co-Founder
http://www.dynastyleaguefootball.com

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:55 pm

dlf_jeffh wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:29 pm Question for the forum?

Any of you play in a league where the non playoff teams are awarded their draft slot based on lottery, similar to the NBA? So, determining the loose ranking at the end of the season and then the worst team has the best chance for the 1.01, next worst has the next best odds, etc.?

If so, how do you like it and how have you formatted the lottery to provide for descending odds as you move up the standings?
Use to but it became too much work. We use points plus potential points / 2 for non playoff teams,

I know this is a dynasty site but On a side note; In my biggest money redraft league we have a system where by the worst team gets to pick their draft slot and so on for the following year. It's a snake draft obviously.

More fun picking your poison so to speak.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:28 am

Have it in a 10 team. We like it, adds to some intrigue to not just have it locked up, although so far it's gone to the 1.1 deserving team 3/4 times.

worst team get 4 balls, 2nd worse 3, 3rd worse 2, 4th worse 1. Winner of the 4 of them in a consolation bracket gets an extra 1 ball. We draw them during superbowl halftime with a granny bingo thing someone found at goodwill.

I'm not fully sure it detracts the incentive to sneakily tank as much as it's thought to. A team wanting to get that 1.1 or 1.2 will still want to have the highest chance at that even if it isn't a sure thing.

If anything it adds some value to that 1.4 lottery pick, as there's a chance it could end up nicer than that.
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:04 am

Used to have it in both my dynasty leagues. One league folded a few years ago, not sure if we were still using it. Current league does not use it any more because nobody was tanking.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:05 am

Ice wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:55 pm I know this is a dynasty site but On a side note; In my biggest money redraft league we have a system where by the worst team gets to pick their draft slot and so on for the following year. It's a snake draft obviously.

More fun picking your poison so to speak.
Same.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:17 pm

I play in three leagues and none of them employ a lottery system. I would heartily and vocally oppose it if it were ever proposed.

In two of my leagues, we take all the teams that finished with a .420 or worse winning percentage and subject them to a three-tiered formula that equally weighs their W-L record, potential points and all-play record. That has worked just fine for us. I could copy/paste the actual language from our constitution if anyone is interested in the specifics.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0