Henry Ruggs is Much More Than Speed

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Henry Ruggs is Much More Than Speed

Postby ArrylT » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:34 pm

I think Ruggs is a decent prospect.

I also was not happy he was the Raiders #1 WR on their board. However maybe I have been subconsciously impacted by all the Lamb vs. Jeudy talk. The 3 1st round picks last year worked out quite well in spite of many feeling they were reaches, so I am going to be hopeful the same will be true for Ruggs, even if I am initially skeptical.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:45 pm

skinfanjon wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:15 pm
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:57 pm
skinfanjon wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:59 pm Oh and one more thing...bleep the raiders for taking him and letting Lamb drop to the Cowboys. Thanks a lot jerks!
Do you think Dallas would've taken Ruggs if Lamb went to LAV? This all started with SF trading out and not taking one of them. (Yet trading back into the 1st for a WR later)
No, I think they would have gone defense. Lamb was playing his career nearby, Jerry clearly loved him based on the look on his face while drafting him, and boom, Dallas now has a ridiculous offense.
No one knows for sure but IMO Dallas would have easily taken Ruggs or Jeudy if they fell and Lamb didn't. They were shocked that Lamb fell but would have been equally shocked if the other two fell. Dallas needed and wanted a WR and DB's. The draft fell perfectly for them.

The Raiders were not the only team that felt Ruggs was the best WR. Dude is young with great hands and world class video game speed. You can't teach his skill sets.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:31 pm

Ice wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:45 pm
skinfanjon wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:15 pm
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:57 pm

Do you think Dallas would've taken Ruggs if Lamb went to LAV? This all started with SF trading out and not taking one of them. (Yet trading back into the 1st for a WR later)
No, I think they would have gone defense. Lamb was playing his career nearby, Jerry clearly loved him based on the look on his face while drafting him, and boom, Dallas now has a ridiculous offense.
No one knows for sure but IMO Dallas would have easily taken Ruggs or Jeudy if they fell and Lamb didn't. They were shocked that Lamb fell but would have been equally shocked if the other two fell. Dallas needed and wanted a WR and DB's. The draft fell perfectly for them.

The Raiders were not the only team that felt Ruggs was the best WR. Dude is young with great hands and world class video game speed. You can't teach his skill sets.
How do we know Ruggs was the top for other teams? It's very likely but at what point did we hear this/believe the junk these NFL teams sprout. Eagles are probably telling people they had Reagor 1, 49ers now claim Ayuik was their 1....... All we know for sure is he was the Raiders No.1, just like CEH was the Chiefs No.1 RB.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:21 pm

AussieMate wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:31 pm
How do we know Ruggs was the top for other teams? It's very likely but at what point did we hear this/believe the junk these NFL teams sprout. Eagles are probably telling people they had Reagor 1, 49ers now claim Ayuik was their 1....... All we know for sure is he was the Raiders No.1, just like CEH was the Chiefs No.1 RB.
You heard from a lot of people that Ruggs had a good chance to be taken as the 1st WR off the board.

He's not a better receiver than Jeudy/Lamb/Reagor -- but he is the best field stretcher; an incredibly valuable position for an NFL team.

Sure, they also want him to be a yac monster like Tyreek Hill; but I don't know if he has the same level of physicality and dynamism that Hill has... and even if he's more Brandin Cooks than Tyreek... he'd still be the right choice over Jeudy/Lamb for that team given how much space he'd open up for the other receivers on that offense. The Sammy Watkins, Brandin Cooks, Marquise Brown level field stretchers can all be productive, but even when they're not they're still incredibly valuable.

I have no idea how Ruggs's career will shake out. That's just one of the issues with being an outlier; but I believe there's a decent chance that Edwards is the best fantasy WR the Raiders drafted this year.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:34 pm

Ruggs a one trick pony, and it's a trick that's useful only for NFL teams that wanna keep safeties away from their Josh Jacobs. Dynasty teams gonna find fools gold with Ruggs. He's the next Hollywood Brown, a handful of big plays and lotta barren games where he disappears.

And lest we forget Hollywood had more production in his final year at Oklahoma than Ruggs had his whole time at Alabama.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:38 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:34 pm Ruggs a one trick pony, and it's a trick that's useful only for NFL teams that wanna keep safeties away from their Josh Jacobs. Dynasty teams gonna find fools gold with Ruggs. He's the next Hollywood Brown, a handful of big plays and lotta barren games where he disappears.

And lest we forget Hollywood had more production in his final year at Oklahoma than Ruggs had his whole time at Alabama.
Uh, Hollywood was good last year.

I still love that we're rolling with the one trick pony narrative despite hard evidence proving otherwise.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:47 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:34 pm Ruggs a one trick pony, and it's a trick that's useful only for NFL teams that wanna keep safeties away from their Josh Jacobs. Dynasty teams gonna find fools gold with Ruggs. He's the next Hollywood Brown, a handful of big plays and lotta barren games where he disappears.

What's the trick? Please don't say deep threat, because it sounds like that's what you're saying.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:15 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:47 pm

What's the trick? Please don't say deep threat, because it sounds like that's what you're saying.
Deep threat.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:24 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:15 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:47 pm

Deep threat.
FAKE NEWS!

Interesting stat:
Sports Info Solutions
@SportsInfo_SIS
Alabama QB when throwing to Henry Ruggs III
45-of-66 (68%), 11 TD, 1 Drop

152.2 receiver rating (highest in FBS)

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:25 am

Peter King said he confirmed over the weekend that the Chiefs were going to trade up for Ruggs if he made it past 20.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:30 am

skinfanjon wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:25 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:46 pm
skinfanjon wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:40 pm

And John Ross ran a 4.22 and was the 9th pick. How's that working out?

I evaluate the prospect and try to consider every angle, ie not metrics or film or formula only. Whats his super power other than speed?

And if you want to talk about fit with the Raiders, Waller and Jacobs are the engines of that offense. Ruggs is going to be asked to stretch the field, which he should be very good at. He'll have big games for sure. I just dont see him becoming a 75+ catch receiver and you kinda have to be if you're going to give me a 300+ ppr season. I expect him to hover around the 200 range.

He's good. Ill draft him, but its gonna be in the 1.10-1.12 range.
Not the same kind of player at all. I watch every Raiders game. Ruggs is going to be used a lot more than just stretching the field with Gruden, there is no doubt in my mind. I had doubts about Ruggs, thinking he'd be used as a field stretcher if the wrong team drafted him. This is about the best case scenario for Ruggs in a fantasy context. Ruggs was used a lot on short and intermediate routes, and the Raiders do a ton of that. Gruden didn't get a guy at 12 to run 9 routes all day.
I'm not calling him the same type of player, but if you aant to quote 40s and draft capital as part of your argument, Ross proves its not relevant.

Your team blew it yesterday. TWICE.
"Jon Ross can't stay healthy, so Ruggs' speed and draft capital don't matter" seems likely a great argument, I don't know what all of you guys are complaining about.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:57 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:25 am Peter King said he confirmed over the weekend that the Chiefs were going to trade up for Ruggs if he made it past 20.
Wow so I guess since Andy Reid knows best, Ruggs should be the new 1.01 as he was higher on KC's board than CEH.

Obvious sarcasm, but that goes with KC's love of fast WR. Geez imagine a 4WR set with Tyreek, Watkins, Hardman, Ruggs, Kelce

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:09 am

Jigga94 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:57 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:25 am Peter King said he confirmed over the weekend that the Chiefs were going to trade up for Ruggs if he made it past 20.
Wow so I guess since Andy Reid knows best, Ruggs should be the new 1.01 as he was higher on KC's board than CEH.

Obvious sarcasm, but that goes with KC's love of fast WR. Geez imagine a 4WR set with Tyreek, Watkins, Hardman, Ruggs, Kelce
True,

But then again Hardman was one of 4 rookies that made the Pro Bowl last year. Speed Kills........yea yea, I know it was special teams for the too serious around here! :)

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Why so low on Ruggs

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:00 pm

why?

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Why so low on Ruggs

Postby AussieMate » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:39 pm

A lot of people are really high on him. Is this directed at something/someone in particular?