Henry Ruggs is Much More Than Speed

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Henry Ruggs is Much More Than Speed

Postby remedy29 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:40 am

DJB wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:59 pm I think Ruģgs has been misused. Not enough screens, slants or designed plays to get him the ball in space.

Hes great deep but he isn't getting enough volume or designed plays.

This is on Gruden not Ruggs
So the Raiders would likely be undefeated, Superbowl bound, if they only knew how to use their players properly...please

Let's face it, Ruggs is nothing but speed at this point in his career. Will he develop next year, maybe, not likely, but maybe. Stop with this argument that he is a talented WR just waiting to burst into the NFL studs list and become a top fantasy WR.

I own him, and would gladly sell for any young player near his ADP, but his value has likely fallen well beyond that.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:22 am

remedy29 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:40 am
DJB wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:59 pm I think Ruģgs has been misused. Not enough screens, slants or designed plays to get him the ball in space.

So the Raiders would likely be undefeated, Superbowl bound, if they only knew how to use their players properly...please

Let's face it, Ruggs is nothing but speed at this point in his career. Will he develop next year, maybe, not likely, but maybe. Stop with this argument that he is a talented WR just waiting to burst into the NFL studs list and become a top fantasy WR.

I own him, and would gladly sell for any young player near his ADP, but his value has likely fallen well beyond that.
Literally no one is saying that... think he's just saying that Ruggs isnt being schemed as if he were the 1st overall WR taken this past April.

He's been disappointing, but he's a 21 yr old rookie. If his value has fallen that much than I wouldn't be selling a rookie WR for a bag of chips. That's just bad business imo.

If you could switch him for Higgins or someone who was behind him pre draft that is actually producing then sure. But I'm not dumping him for a similar WR just to dump him, the talent is there. Be patient, it's dynasty.

Are you getting offers? What WR around his ADP are you taking for him? Landry? Slayton? Kirk? Those are the non rookies behind him in October ADP. Higgins and Shenault are the rookies. I'd probably switch to Higgins but I'll hold Ruggs over Shenault still.

Also worth noting that a lot of teams that took him were late 1st, likely competitors and drafted for the upside. No way I sell him for Landry

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:28 am

I disagree heavily with the notion that he's only speed.

Look, the box score numbers aren't there right now, and that's fine. He's a long-term play. The purpose of this thread was never to predict an all-time great rookie season. Every WR isn't going to come out like Justin Jefferson with 100 yard games every other week.

We're seeing the things he needs to work on, but the talent is there and he's flashed it already this season.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:59 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:22 am

Literally no one is saying that... think he's just saying that Ruggs isnt being schemed as if he were the 1st overall WR taken this past April.

He's been disappointing, but he's a 21 yr old rookie. If his value has fallen that much than I wouldn't be selling a rookie WR for a bag of chips. That's just bad business imo.

If you could switch him for Higgins or someone who was behind him pre draft that is actually producing then sure. But I'm not dumping him for a similar WR just to dump him, the talent is there. Be patient, it's dynasty.

Are you getting offers? What WR around his ADP are you taking for him? Landry? Slayton? Kirk? Those are the non rookies behind him in October ADP. Higgins and Shenault are the rookies. I'd probably switch to Higgins but I'll hold Ruggs over Shenault still.

Also worth noting that a lot of teams that took him were late 1st, likely competitors and drafted for the upside. No way I sell him for Landry
Saying Ruggs is not being used properly by the coaching staff puts Ruggs disappearing act on the coaches, not on the player. If Ruggs was capable of being the focal point of an offense, like Michael Pittman was this past week where he was literally targeted on every offensive series, he would be. Ruggs is serving his role as being the deep threat. Perhaps next year he can expand on that role. Ruggs does not profile to be a high producing fantasy WR.

The purpose of this thread was to inform people on how talented Ruggs is, he is more than speed and is worthy of a late round 1st rookie pick or higher... Now, with the hindsight of watching him play in the NFL, he is clearly closer to a mid 2nd round pick. That's a big value drop. Mid 2nd round pick is proper for a developmental pick, a 1st round pick is reserved for fantasy talent (specially in the 2020 draft).

Have to be very skeptical of some of these in-season Mizelle ADP. The notion that Ruggs is ahead of Higgins or Claypool is laughable. Ruggs can not be traded for either now.

Ruggs is more realistically in this group of players, not overly impressive (I ranked them in order I prefer them);
Pittman, Deebo, Shenault, Christian Kirk, Gallup, Mims, Mecole Hardman, Bryan Edwards, Curtis Samual, Slayton

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:21 pm

remedy29 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:59 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:22 am

Saying Ruggs is not being used properly by the coaching staff puts Ruggs disappearing act on the coaches, not on the player. If Ruggs was capable of being the focal point of an offense, like Michael Pittman was this past week where he was literally targeted on every offensive series, he would be. Ruggs is serving his role as being the deep threat. Perhaps next year he can expand on that role. Ruggs does not profile to be a high producing fantasy WR.

The purpose of this thread was to inform people on how talented Ruggs is, he is more than speed and is worthy of a late round 1st rookie pick or higher... Now, with the hindsight of watching him play in the NFL, he is clearly closer to a mid 2nd round pick. That's a big value drop. Mid 2nd round pick is proper for a developmental pick, a 1st round pick is reserved for fantasy talent (specially in the 2020 draft).

Have to be very skeptical of some of these in-season Mizelle ADP. The notion that Ruggs is ahead of Higgins or Claypool is laughable. Ruggs can not be traded for either now.

Ruggs is more realistically in this group of players, not overly impressive (I ranked them in order I prefer them);
Pittman, Deebo, Shenault, Christian Kirk, Gallup, Mims, Mecole Hardman, Bryan Edwards, Curtis Samual, Slayton
I don't have any real gripe with your post here. Saying it's "not likely" he develops into anything is subjective. I mean who knows? But maybe he will take a little longer to develop and that's fine. I wouldn't go selling for a mid 2nd in 2021 right now. I'm betting that he will get better than this. The fact is that he has the youth, talent and draft pedigree to still get plenty of opportunities to succeed. I'll be honest, I was never a fan of the landing spot, but was hoping for more than 3 or 4 targets a game at least. I'd still rather hold over a mid 2nd or any of those players you posted at the bottom.

I agree on the Mizelle ADP. Grain of salt needed, it's over a month old and of course Claypool and Higgins are ahead of Ruggs now. I said I'd switch to Higgins. That's why I tried to just compare him to the non-rookies that were around his value I'd hold Ruggs over as they would be less volatile

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:09 pm

to clarify, Ruggs is worth a mid 2020 2nd. 2020 was a strong draft class, which makes taking him with a late 1st hurt even more.
I am not trading him for a mid 2021 2nd either. I am considering Pittman.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:30 pm

remedy29 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:09 pm to clarify, Ruggs is worth a mid 2020 2nd. 2020 was a strong draft class, which makes taking him with a late 1st hurt even more.
I am not trading him for a mid 2021 2nd either. I am considering Pittman.
I've been meaning to re rank the 2020 class... Off the top of my head though
The 3 QB would still go ahead in SF
CEH, JT, Dobbins and Swift still for sure. I had Ruggs slightly ahead of Akers and not sure I'd change that even now. Gibson probably over Ruggs and James Robinson would be an interesting discussion as his value is all over.
Jeudy, Lamb were the only 2 I had over Ruggs for sure. I had Reagor and Jefferson in the same tier preseason. Safe to say Jefferson is well ahead, I'm not sure if Reagor has done enough to for sure be ahead though. Others that have risen over Ruggs are Higgins and Claypool and I guess I'd also consider Pittman to Aiyuk.

So yeah he's in that 14-18 range now. Says a little bit about his slow start and a little about how deep this class is

straightcashhomie831
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby straightcashhomie831 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:18 am

Raiders didn't use John Ross at all

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:25 am

I thought Ruggs was having a nice game until I realized #15 was Nelson Agholor lol

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:50 am

You'd definitely think they could give him more than 2 touches in a shootout.

Neither of their rookie wide receivers have been involved much recently.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:39 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:50 am You'd definitely think they could give him more than 2 touches in a shootout.

If they gave Ruggs more touches, and actual playing time, the game would have been a blow-out for the Chiefs, instead of a shootout, if Ruggs had performed consistently with his awful performance this year.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:51 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:50 am You'd definitely think they could give him more than 2 touches in a shootout.

This is a very similar situation to Akers in LA imo. They're winning games with the veteran doing just enough to where the team isn't going to force the issue to get the rookie more involved. I'm hoping Edwards steps into the Agholor role next year assuming Agholor is not back :pray:

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:18 am

remedy29 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:39 am

If they gave Ruggs more touches, and actual playing time, the game would have been a blow-out for the Chiefs, instead of a shootout, if Ruggs had performed consistently with his awful performance this year.
That really doesn't make sense, but alright?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:25 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:51 am

This is a very similar situation to Akers in LA imo. They're winning games with the veteran doing just enough to where the team isn't going to force the issue to get the rookie more involved. I'm hoping Edwards steps into the Agholor role next year assuming Agholor is not back :pray:
I could see them bringing Agholor back. He's been their best WR this season (not sure that's a good thing). But, long-term they absolutely have to do more than what they're doing with Ruggs and Edwards. So, hopefully a real offseason will get them on the right track.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:11 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:18 am
remedy29 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:39 am

That really doesn't make sense, but alright?
Ruggs, at least this year in his rookie season, is a terrible football player. If he plays significant offensive snaps, his team will be negatively impacted. I'm not sure what your missing here.

Yes, Ruggs can run fast, but he currently can not play NFL football. When I have a moment, I'll lay out his actual performance to date on a per target basis (FYI, it's ugly).

I offered Ruggs for Akers to the Raiders fan in my league, was refected. I should have set my sights a lot lower, bc Ruggs value is tanking.