Henry Ruggs is Much More Than Speed

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Henry Ruggs is Much More Than Speed

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:37 pm

mild wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:24 pm
skinfanjon wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:20 am I just flipped Jeudy for Ruggs straight up. It's going to take patience with both of them but I like the flashes I've seen from him a whole lot more.
:shock: :o :lol:

This will be a fun one to follow. Team Juedy over here (but I have both guys)
I agree. I'm always hesitant to move rookie WR down too far. Moving guys like Claypool and Jefferson up? No issue there.

Pre draft I had

Judy/Lamb
Ruggs/Reagor/Jefferson
Higgins/Pittman
Claypool, etc

Now I think you just push each of Lamb, Jefferson, Higgins and Claypool up some because we've seen them do it. I'm still just as excited for Ruggs and Jeudy.

I'm curious if we've ever seen a breakout like Claypools or Jeffersons and then the guy doesn't pan out? I mean it has to be few and far between and some unlikely circumstances right?

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:18 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:37 pm

I'm curious if we've ever seen a breakout like Claypools or Jeffersons and then the guy doesn't pan out? I mean it has to be few and far between and some unlikely circumstances right?
In 2004 Michael Clayton broke out with 80 receptions, 1193 yards, and 7 touchdowns in his rookie year for Tampa Bay only to see the rest of his career derailed by injuries.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:40 pm

skinfanjon wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:20 am I just flipped Jeudy for Ruggs straight up. It's going to take patience with both of them but I like the flashes I've seen from him a whole lot more.

This definitely isn’t a laughable trade.

Ruggs has been more impressive so far in their first 2 months, and also got picked ahead of Jeudy by the NFL.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:30 am

Hottoddies wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:18 pm

In 2004 Michael Clayton broke out with 80 receptions, 1193 yards, and 7 touchdowns in his rookie year for Tampa Bay only to see the rest of his career derailed by injuries.
and of course Kelvin Benjamin. both clayton and benjamin happened to be sub-athletes though from what i could find.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:35 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:40 pm

Ruggs has been more impressive so far in their first 2 months, and also got picked ahead of Jeudy by the NFL.
Yeah, not laughing at the values per se - more just that you could be convinced enough that Jeudy was the guy in your draft, and then 7 weeks later fully flip your choice with Jeudy pretty much being handed a poop sandwich for a situation.

Like I said, I'm still team Jeudy - but he cost me a 1.08, and I scored Ruggs with a 2.04. Obviously, things have changed a bit in this short term... but I'm still bullish over the long haul...

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:37 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:30 am
Hottoddies wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:18 pm

and of course Kelvin Benjamin. both clayton and benjamin happened to be sub-athletes though from what i could find.
Wow I totally forgot about KB. But yeah that was my point, either injuries or subpar athleticism. Neither Jefferson or Claypool look to have either issue

skinfanjon
Role Player
Role Player

Postby skinfanjon » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:15 am

mild wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:35 am
lukkynumber13 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:40 pm

Yeah, not laughing at the values per se - more just that you could be convinced enough that Jeudy was the guy in your draft, and then 7 weeks later fully flip your choice with Jeudy pretty much being handed a poop sandwich for a situation.

Like I said, I'm still team Jeudy - but he cost me a 1.08, and I scored Ruggs with a 2.04. Obviously, things have changed a bit in this short term... but I'm still bullish over the long haul...
Well, I have to :lol: :lol: :lol: at any league where Ruggs would go 2.04.

I think the sooner you can admit a mistake, the better. Had 9 of the first 16 picks in this league after going full rebuild and selling off aging vets from a middling team I took over. I didn't have a strong take on Jeudy, just took him in that spot (1.07) as the consensus pick. Now that I've actually seen them both in the NFL a little bit, I have a much better feeling that Ruggs will have more value in the short term (1-2) years.

Folks will say "but its dynasty" and thats fine. I think dynasty players are typically too slow to react. I also think finding studs is basically all that matters and make a lot of moves based on the premise. So whenever possible, I want the guy who I think will be more valuable over the next two years, because chances are I'm going to be trading him anyway unless I think hes truly a blossoming stud (Jefferson, Lamb, and Claypool thus far), particularly at WR since there are just so many solid options.

And while these two look pretty close on paper, odds are one of them is going to significantly outperform the other. Rather than doubling down I'm correcting what I think was a draft day mistake. Did the same thing with Akers for Gibson a couple weeks ago too.

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:17 pm

I know it's only one play and he's just a rookie, but that was a bad job here not tapping the toes in the end zone for the TD. That's a play a skilled WR should make every time. He may be more than just speed, but he's got a lot to improve on as well.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:50 pm

skinfanjon wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:15 am Well, I have to :lol: :lol: :lol: at any league where Ruggs would go 2.04.
It's Superflex - Aiyuk, Jefferson, Herbert, and Reagor all going ahead of him aren't really that much of a hot-take. The only one really worth arguing at this point would be Reagor, and that's just because he's not played. Also, my league rightly fades Raiders players in general.

As to the toe-tap - yeah, disappointing. It really was just by a big toe on the line - these are the things that will come as he refines his talent and game... remember, he was late to football. He's still learning. The talent is there, though.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:45 pm

It's hard to be impressed with Ruggs halfway through year 1. I drafted him over Higgins, which looks like a bad choice. I'm thinking of offering Ruggs for Michael Pittman, who I originally wanted, but didn't want to "reach" for a player I wanted over the consensus rookie choices.

MontrealBen
Role Player
Role Player

Postby MontrealBen » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:50 pm

mild wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:50 pm
skinfanjon wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:15 am Well, I have to :lol: :lol: :lol: at any league where Ruggs would go 2.04.
It's Superflex - Aiyuk, Jefferson, Herbert, and Reagor all going ahead of him aren't really that much of a hot-take. The only one really worth arguing at this point would be Reagor, and that's just because he's not played. Also, my league rightly fades Raiders players in general.

As to the toe-tap - yeah, disappointing. It really was just by a big toe on the line - these are the things that will come as he refines his talent and game... remember, he was late to football. He's still learning. The talent is there, though.
Aiyuk ahead of Ruggs would have been incredibly spicy at draft time.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:32 pm

MontrealBen wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:50 pm Aiyuk ahead of Ruggs would have been incredibly spicy at draft time.
It was spicy for sure. He gets to look pretty smart now, though... the week of Aiyuk's first big game I literally texted him asking "what did you know!?"

Same stuff we all knew, though - that the dude was much faster than his tested time, and that Shanny loved him as one of his 2 top WR's in the draft.

It's not too hot a take to consider taking SF's 1st round rookie WR over LVR's if you're not a believer in the Raiders in general. There are no Raiders fans in my league... thus they are usually discounted, with the exception of Jacobs last year.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:04 pm

mild wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:32 pm
MontrealBen wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:50 pm Aiyuk ahead of Ruggs would have been incredibly spicy at draft time.
It was spicy for sure. He gets to look pretty smart now, though... the week of Aiyuk's first big game I literally texted him asking "what did you know!?"

Same stuff we all knew, though - that the dude was much faster than his tested time, and that Shanny loved him as one of his 2 top WR's in the draft.

It's not too hot a take to consider taking SF's 1st round rookie WR over LVR's if you're not a believer in the Raiders in general. There are no Raiders fans in my league... thus they are usually discounted, with the exception of Jacobs last year.
Always thought Aiyuks biggest issue would be passing volume and playing a similar role as Deebo. With Deebo (and Kittle) banged up so much, it has definitely helped Aiyuk along

Mike from Canada
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Mike from Canada » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:56 pm

Aiyuk looking good again today

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:00 am

Jigga94 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:04 pm
mild wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:32 pm

Always thought Aiyuks biggest issue would be passing volume and playing a similar role as Deebo. With Deebo (and Kittle) banged up so much, it has definitely helped Aiyuk along
Think that's diminishing what Aiyuk has done. He's a very different player than Deebo and has simply looked great so far.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR
QB: MRyan, MJones, CNewton, RFitz
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, JMixon, AJDillon, LMurray, DarWilliams, GBernard
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson
TE: JSmith, ISmith, ZErtz

Team 2 - 16 team, PPR, SF
QB: JBurrow, CWentz, ZWilson, Jimmy G
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, BSnell, TGurley, DGuice
WR: JChase, BAiyuk, CSutton, THiggins, JJeudy, JReagor, BEdwards
TE: ISmith, HarBryant, DSample, TTremble