Henry Ruggs is Much More Than Speed

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Why so low on Ruggs

Postby Gator Sens » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:16 pm

I think some of it comes from his low overall stats in college and the thought of John Ross still fresh in dynasty owners heads. Obviously Alabama was loaded with wr's which contributed to his stats. Just seems like a player you love or not so much.

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:46 am

he scares me, theres a long history of players being drafted this highly based on their speed and it not panning out. if he ran in the 4.5's i'd guess he wouldve been a day 2 pick. so sure, if for whatever reason he fell in rookie drafts i'd spend a 2nd rounder on him. But most of us know that, that wont happen and its just too much of a risk for me.
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

notorioustot
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby notorioustot » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:37 am

Grabbed him at 2.02 in a 12 team superflex and lovin' it!
14 Team Dynasty League - 25 Active Roster
PPR Superflex, 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 1 K 1 DST

QB: Mahomes; Goff; Kyler; Dobbs; Aiden; DTR;
RB: Rhamondre; ETN; Gibson; CEH; Jet; Ty; Chase; White
WR: AJB; Ja'Marr; Lazard; Mooney; Deebo; Phillips; Jauan
TE: Hock;
K: McManus
Def: GB; Cincy

IR:

Picks: 2024 2 3 4 5
2025 2 3 4 5
2026 2 3 4 5

Team 2: 12 teams, otherwise, same rules above:
QB: Burrow; Fields; Stafford; Aiden; Bagnet
RB: Bijan; E. Mitchell; Mostert; Pacheco; Pollard; Kendre; Dowdle; Keaton M
WR: Nico; DJ Moore; Skyy; DPJ; Deebo; Puka; C Tillman; Philips
TE: Kelce;
K: Hopkins
DST: BUFF

IR: Knox, Palmer

Picks:
2024 - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 team, 30 Active, same rules above:
QB: Tua; Watson; Tannehill; Minshew; Trask
RB: Ekeler; Henry; Kamara; Mostert; Dillon; E. Dotson; C. Evans; E. Mitchell; S. Tucker
WR: Diggs; Keenan; Evans; Deebo; Tee; Mims; Marshall
TE: Kelce; Ferguson; Kraft; Irv Jr.;
K: Elliott
DST: Cowboys; Phins

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:10 am

notorioustot wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:37 am Grabbed him at 2.02 in a 12 team superflex and lovin' it!
Great value there.

UkColt
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby UkColt » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:09 am

I own the 2.02 and would definitely take him there, but I can understand why he makes it that far.
Superflex, PPR. Start 1-2QB, 2-4RB, 3-5WR & 1-2TE

QB: Watson, Herbert, Lance, Bridgewater, Minshew
RB: McCaffrey, Ekeler, Hines, Fournette, Hyde, J Williams,
WR: Diggs, Lamb, Hilton, Mims, Crowder, Reynolds, G Davis, Washington, Watkins
TE: Kittle, Hooper

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:15 am

ThunderTung wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:46 am he scares me, theres a long history of players being drafted this highly based on their speed and it not panning out. if he ran in the 4.5's i'd guess he wouldve been a day 2 pick. so sure, if for whatever reason he fell in rookie drafts i'd spend a 2nd rounder on him. But most of us know that, that wont happen and its just too much of a risk for me.
Anyone drafting Ruggs on his speed hasn't spent anytime evaluating him.

Ruggs went 1st in the NFL do to:

Plus Route running
Great first step against press
Cuts equally off either foot with no tells
Changes gears in routes with ease
Uber Elite Hands (Huge) 1 drop

World Class Speed and Quickness

Some are going to be eating a lot of crow when they look past their speed bias and actually see his incredible football potential shine on the big stage.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:28 am

Ice wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:15 am
ThunderTung wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:46 am he scares me, theres a long history of players being drafted this highly based on their speed and it not panning out. if he ran in the 4.5's i'd guess he wouldve been a day 2 pick. so sure, if for whatever reason he fell in rookie drafts i'd spend a 2nd rounder on him. But most of us know that, that wont happen and its just too much of a risk for me.

Plus Route running

Some are going to be eating a lot of crow when they look past their speed bias and actually see his incredible football potential shine on the big stage.
Ruggs was the first wr off the board because of his speed. you cant honestly tell me that if ruggs, jeudy and lamb all ran the same 40 time that ruggs would still be the first wr off the board.

I never said he was a bust, i just dont trust it. i've seen this story far too many times "he's more than speed". maybe he is, maybe he'll be the next tyreek, for me its just not worth the risk to take him in the mid first (what im assuming his adp will be in rookie drafts)
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:47 am

ThunderTung wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:28 am
Ice wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:15 am

Plus Route running

Ruggs was the first wr off the board because of his speed. you cant honestly tell me that if ruggs, jeudy and lamb all ran the same 40 time that ruggs would still be the first wr off the board.

I never said he was a bust, i just dont trust it. i've seen this story far too many times "he's more than speed". maybe he is, maybe he'll be the next tyreek, for me its just not worth the risk to take him in the mid first (what im assuming his adp will be in rookie drafts)
In part. You can bet if he had hands like DHB and ran routes like him he wouldn't have been. You're oversimplifying. Ruggs was first off the board because of his overall skill set, and speed was a big part of it, but it wasn't the only reason.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Henry Ruggs is Much More Than Speed

Postby AussieMate » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:16 pm

If Ruggs ran a 4.4 he'd likely have gone around the Reagor Jefferson range, so not a huge drop imo.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:38 pm

AussieMate wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:16 pm If Ruggs ran a 4.4 he'd likely have gone around the Reagor Jefferson range, so not a huge drop imo.
If you mean that he messed up his combine like Reagor, sure.

If you mean that he'd still be picked in the 1st round if he actually was .2 of a second slower on the 40; no freaking way would he still be a first round pick.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:19 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:38 pm
AussieMate wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:16 pm If Ruggs ran a 4.4 he'd likely have gone around the Reagor Jefferson range, so not a huge drop imo.
If you mean that he messed up his combine like Reagor, sure.

If you mean that he'd still be picked in the 1st round if he actually was .2 of a second slower on the 40; no freaking way would he still be a first round pick.
You really don't know that. Nobody does, and nobody ever will. Both of you are speculating and it's pointless. He runs a 4.2, and nobody else does. He's got good hands and is a good route runner. It's not like if Ruggs walked out looking like Bucky Lagrange he's still be a first rounder because he ran a 4.27. The combination of that speed and those hands and routes make him a first round pick, and provides a skill set that nobody else in this class has. Dropping every player down .2 seconds would affect their draft stock. Take .2 seconds of Reagor, and give him a 4.67. Is he a first rounder at that point?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:26 pm

I'm not sure whos argueing who here, I'm not a Ruggs fan but was stating he seems to have enough skills in other areas that he'd still be a high pick in the draft if he ran fast but not stupid fast.

edit: Obvisouly its imo and speculation.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:39 pm

Gator Sens wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:16 pm I think some of it comes from his low overall stats in college and the thought of John Ross still fresh in dynasty owners heads. Obviously Alabama was loaded with wr's which contributed to his stats. Just seems like a player you love or not so much.
Ross' problem is mostly injury though.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:59 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:39 pm
Gator Sens wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:16 pm I think some of it comes from his low overall stats in college and the thought of John Ross still fresh in dynasty owners heads. Obviously Alabama was loaded with wr's which contributed to his stats. Just seems like a player you love or not so much.
I honestly see a lot of similarities between Ross and Ruggs; which isn't a bad thing. I believe Ross would be a solid WR2 if he could stay healthy; and while Ross is faster than Ruggs (and was far more productive in college) I do think Ruggs has better hands.

I definitely like Ruggs, but I personally don't agree that he (or Ross for that matter) has "massive upside" and very strongly believe that Reagor is the WR people high on Ruggs hope he is. Reagor look a lot like Steve Smith with his dynamism, physicality, and ability to rip the ball out of the sky even as a shorter receiver.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:13 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:59 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:39 pm
I honestly see a lot of similarities between Ross and Ruggs; which isn't a bad thing. I believe Ross would be a solid WR2 if he could stay healthy; and while Ross is faster than Ruggs (and was far more productive in college) I do think Ruggs has better hands.

I definitely like Ruggs, but I personally don't agree that he (or Ross for that matter) has "massive upside" and very strongly believe that Reagor is the WR people high on Ruggs hope he is. Reagor look a lot like Steve Smith with his dynamism, physicality, and ability to rip the ball out of the sky even as a shorter receiver.
I think what makes Ruggs have massive upside is that if he refines his routes and releases more, then it's going to be difficult to stop him. Speed means nothing if you can't win off the LOS. If he can get his releases to be more consistent, then the natural talent takes over.

People see the speed and think that's all he is, but he's much further along in his development than you think.