Re: The Most Over-Rated 2020 Rookie RB Is... Jonathan Taylor

Postby AussieMate » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:13 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:56 pm
dlf_mikeh wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:46 am
OhCruelestRanter wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:13 am
I have a 1.02 in 1QB and two 1.03s in superflex, and I’m really hoping tape-grinders find silly reasons to drop Taylor so he falls to me.

Thank you for your service.
Every year I do a write up. Every year I get someone thanking me because I helped a Ronald Jones or Darrell Henderson fall to them.

You're welcome?
I have no idea why you’d bring those guys up. RoJo in particular was a tape grinder guy; the analytics folks knew better.

Seriously though, thank you tape grinders for helping to push this historically productive freak athlete down the board to the people who know better, all because you have convinced yourselves that you like Swift’s jumpcut better, or some other nonsense.

This is Derrick Henry’s footwork all over again.
And thank you analytics guys for pushing Taylor up so I can get Dobbins, it's appreciated.

OhCruelestRanter
All Pro
All Pro

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:16 pm

AussieMate wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:13 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote:
dlf_mikeh wrote:

Every year I do a write up. Every year I get someone thanking me because I helped a Ronald Jones or Darrell Henderson fall to them.

You're welcome?
I have no idea why you’d bring those guys up. RoJo in particular was a tape grinder guy; the analytics folks knew better.

Seriously though, thank you tape grinders for helping to push this historically productive freak athlete down the board to the people who know better, all because you have convinced yourselves that you like Swift’s jumpcut better, or some other nonsense.

And thank you analytics guys for pushing Taylor up so I can get Dobbins, it's appreciated.
Are we helping? I’d bet the analytics crowd is doing more to push Dobbins ahead of CEH than it is to push Dobbins behind Taylor.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:18 pm

AussieMate wrote:
OhCruelestRanter wrote:
dlf_mikeh wrote:

You're welcome?

Dobbins would have had great analytics had he participated. He was a 99th percentile athlete coming into college. BTW, who doesn't use analytics in some capacity? I use both analytics and my amateur scouting, but are there people around here who just literally watch cut ups and that's the entire foundation for their draft process?
DLF Early Birds Special/ Year 1 (16 Team SuperFlex 25 man roster Start 10)

Record: 28-5 Division Champ/League High Scorer/Runner Up

Wentz, Stafford. Driskel
Chubb, Cook, Breida, Ekeler, Penny, James White, D Washington
Evans, Sutton, Woods, Crowder, Agholor, Sanu, , D Robinson, T Taylor
Kittle, Olsen, McDonald, Clay

Taxi: Mims, Asiasi

IZigUZag
Captain
Captain

Postby IZigUZag » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:19 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote:
dlf_mikeh wrote:
OhCruelestRanter wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:13 am
I have a 1.02 in 1QB and two 1.03s in superflex, and I’m really hoping tape-grinders find silly reasons to drop Taylor so he falls to me.

Thank you for your service.

You're welcome?

I believe this is a great RB class, akin to 2017's: Fournette, CMC, Cook, Mixon, Kamara, Hunt class. So none of these RB's are a wrong choice, per say.

But I do find it funny when people say he "rounds out" his cuts more than swift/dobbins who are both 16 lb's lighter and slower than him. Derrick Henry and DK Metcalf suffered similar criticisms... and they still manage to get the job done

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:25 pm

IZigUZag wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:19 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote:
dlf_mikeh wrote:

You're welcome?

I believe this is a great RB class, akin to 2017's: Fournette, CMC, Cook, Mixon, Kamara, Hunt class. So none of these RB's are a wrong choice, per say.

But I do find it funny when people say he "rounds out" his cuts more than swift/dobbins who are both 16 lb's lighter and slower than him. Derrick Henry and DK Metcalf suffered similar criticisms... and they still manage to get the job done
Just imagine if Etienne and a few other had declared. Guess they felt they had to save us something for next year, LOL. RB class isn't as attractive next season, so we need a few.

Every player has his warts if you look closely enough. Taylor, Dobbins, Swift. All of them.

Wentz, Stafford. Driskel

OhCruelestRanter
All Pro
All Pro

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:25 pm

IZigUZag wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:19 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote:
dlf_mikeh wrote:

You're welcome?

It’s simpler than that- every year, like clockwork, the tapegrinders manufacture bad takes about the big, fast athletes. Maybe small-slow guys look better on film, but I suspect it’s just a reaction toward not wanting to be lumped in with the guys who draft based solely on the combine.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

AussieMate
All Pro
All Pro

Postby AussieMate » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:31 pm

FantasyFreak wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:18 pm
AussieMate wrote:
OhCruelestRanter wrote:

Dobbins would have had great analytics had he participated. He was a 99th percentile athlete coming into college. BTW, who doesn't use analytics in some capacity? I use both analytics and my amateur scouting, but are there people around here who just literally watch cut ups and that's the entire foundation for their draft process?
I use both as well, that was just the second time he thanked film guys so I thought I should do same courtesy. I don't dislike Taylor I just really like Dobbins and Taylors been getting a massive boost from analytics guys which will give me a better chance to get my guy at 1.05.

I actually have the 1.02 as well and will probably take Lamb as the 1.01-1.03 owner loves Swift and Jeudy in that order and the 1.04 needs and wants a wr which will leave me with either Dobbins or Taylor at 5 (won't be upset either way but prefer Dobbins) if he doesn't reach for a different wr. This could all change obviously with draft but I know these 2 owners really well and generally can pick them every year.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:39 pm

AussieMate wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:31 pm
FantasyFreak wrote:
AussieMate wrote:

I use both as well, that was just the second time he thanked film guys so I thought I should do same courtesy. I don't dislike Taylor I just really like Dobbins and Taylors been getting a massive boost from analytics guys which will give me a better chance to get my guy at 1.05.

I actually have the 1.02 as well and will probably take Lamb as the 1.01-1.03 owner loves Swift and Jeudy in that order and the 1.04 needs and wants a wr which will leave me with either Dobbins or Taylor at 5 (won't be upset either way but prefer Dobbins) if he doesn't reach for a different wr. This could all change obviously with draft but I know these 2 owners really well and generally can pick them every year.
Ah, I see. Yeah, I use both, but know my limits as a scout, and trust analytics a little more these days unless I get a bad feel about a player. "Gut" is literally the least scientific method there is, but if I just can't get past what I see despite great metrics, I will pass. I am not doing that with JT, but I think there are 4 really high end RB's in this class, so I'm not going to really argue too much if others prefer 1 slightly, but I just don't see how Taylor can be considered a much lower prospect than the others, even with preferring one of the others over him.

Wentz, Stafford. Driskel

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:45 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:16 pm
AussieMate wrote:
OhCruelestRanter wrote:

Are we helping? I’d bet the analytics crowd is doing more to push Dobbins ahead of CEH than it is to push Dobbins behind Taylor.
I would like to thank everyone who have pushed all the RBs ahead of CEH. Now I can only hope that the NFL doesn't draft him before Taylor.
Megan Phelps' 4 rules of dialogue
1) Don't assume bad intent
2) Ask questions
3) Stay calm
4) Make the argument

AussieMate
All Pro
All Pro

Postby AussieMate » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:50 pm

FantasyFreak wrote:

Ah, I see. Yeah, I use both, but know my limits as a scout, and trust analytics a little more these days unless I get a bad feel about a player. "Gut" is literally the least scientific method there is, but if I just can't get past what I see despite great metrics, I will pass. I am not doing that with JT, but I think there are 4 really high end RB's in this class, so I'm not going to really argue too much if others prefer 1 slightly, but I just don't see how Taylor can be considered a much lower prospect than the others, even with preferring one of the others over him.
I do very similar, if I have players close I do like to watch a bunch of tape as at the end of the day of prefer a guy on my team who I see something imo.
I was never a huge Taylor fan but obviously listen to experts and have him in my top 3, same with Jeudy there is something about watching Jeudy I just cant get behind so I'd prefer to take Lamb or an RB and get Reagor later who a lot if expert like plus when I watch him I get a gut feeling that he has an "it" factor but I wouldn't draft Reagor with my 1.02 where as I might draft Jeudy there as he's consensus a superior prospect.

AussieMate
All Pro
All Pro

Postby AussieMate » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:53 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:16 pm
AussieMate wrote:
OhCruelestRanter wrote:

I don't care for CEH at all so he can get pushed where ever as long as Dobbins gets pushed behind Taylor, I only care if it helps me haha

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:55 pm

dlf_mikeh wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:50 pm
AussieMate wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:38 pm
dlf_mikeh wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:35 pm
For what it's worth I'm not calling him a bust, I just don't think he's worth the top 2 spots in the rookie draft. I think JK Dobbins & D'Andre Swift are FAAAARRR superior. They are my 1A and 1B, landing spot will dictate which is which.

JT has the biggest learning curve. If he became an elite runner in 2021 I wouldn't be surprised at all.
I had a feeling you would like Dobbins, it's all in the hips!!
I love Dobbins. If I was forced to pick at the 1.01 spot right now and I couldn't trade out, Dobbins would be my guy.

PS: Sorry Matt! :(

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 6.59.00 PM.png

EDIT: FWIW, I didn't call Taylor JAG. I said if he doesn't work on his skill then he will be JAG at the next level. He's an elite talent.
You should join the Early Bird Special league, so you can experience the real thing.

chalorpas
Role Player
Role Player

Postby chalorpas » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:34 pm

If you want to rank Swift over Taylor then whatever, but J.K. Dobbins? I just can’t rank him ahead of those two or even Akers at this point. He was supposed to weigh 216 but came in at 209 and didn’t test at the combine? That has to push him down. He would have had to run like a 4.15 to get the same speed score as JT at that weight. Obviously landing spots will affect all the rankings so it will be interesting to see how that works out. I like Edwards-Helaire okay but he ran really slow for his size. It’s unimaginable to consider a scenario where he would be ranked ahead of Taylor, for me anyway.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:12 pm

chalorpas wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:34 pm
If you want to rank Swift over Taylor then whatever, but J.K. Dobbins? I just can’t rank him ahead of those two or even Akers at this point. He was supposed to weigh 216 but came in at 209 and didn’t test at the combine? That has to push him down. He would have had to run like a 4.15 to get the same speed score as JT at that weight. Obviously landing spots will affect all the rankings so it will be interesting to see how that works out. I like Edwards-Helaire okay but he ran really slow for his size. It’s unimaginable to consider a scenario where he would be ranked ahead of Taylor, for me anyway.
Dobbins nor anyone else would have had a better speed score than Taylor. Dobbins was a 99th percentile athlete coming into college. There is so much evidence of his tested athleticism out there over the last 3 years it's really a non issue. The difference between Swift and Dobbins weight is a good meal and a pint or two. I don't see why it's an issue for anyone to have Dobbins over Swift, so won't fault Dobbins over Taylor, even if I don't agree with it.

Wentz, Stafford. Driskel

Jigga94
Legend
Legend

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:39 am

FantasyFreak wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:12 pm
chalorpas wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:34 pm
Dobbins nor anyone else would have had a better speed score than Taylor. Dobbins was a 99th percentile athlete coming into college. There is so much evidence of his tested athleticism out there over the last 3 years it's really a non issue. The difference between Swift and Dobbins weight is a good meal and a pint or two. I don't see why it's an issue for anyone to have Dobbins over Swift, so won't fault Dobbins over Taylor, even if I don't agree with it.
Honestly wouldn't argue with any of the 3 being someone's top RB. I couldn't put Akers at the top, but he's not far off either. At this point I'm going to stop banging the drum for JT and just hope he falls to me at 1.02. if not, it's a toss up on Dobbins and Swift
2QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, FLEX - PPR - 14 Keepers
QB: Mahomes, Baker, D. Jones, Minshew, Luck
RB: Mostert, Sony, Penny, D. Freeman, Snell, J. Jackson, Hyde, Gaskin
WR: Tyreek, DJM, Julio, Hollywood, Cooks, Preston, Parris, C. Davis, MVS
TE: Andrews, Henry, Fant, Irv
2020: 1.02, 2.02, 3.02, 4.02, 4.08

2QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 3FLEX - PPR - 20 Keepers
QB: Dak, Ryan, Minshew, Cam
RB: CMC, Jacobs, Hunt, Penny, J. Jackson
WR: DJM, Chark, Hardman, Mike Will, Diontae, Parris, C. Davis, Lazard
TE: Andrews, Henry, Gesicki
2020: 1.07, 1.09, 2.05