Dynasty Leagues on Sleeper

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: Dynasty Leagues on Sleeper

Postby bjd5211 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:13 pm

In two Sleeper leagues, absolutely despise it. The chat is incredibly slow and clunky, GroupMe is far superior. It doesn't display draft pick numbers when trading you have to refer to the draft chart and see which pick originally belongs to which team, and then go back to the trade screen. I do everything completely through mobile on my phone, and find MFL Platinum far simpler and even the MFL website better than using Sleeper. Overall just do not enjoy the app or see a single improvement over MFL besides being free, and the league fees are negligible anyway once split amongst rest of the league. We've already decided to move on of my leagues to MFL, and hopefully the 2nd one we migrate back to MFL after this year. I absolutely will not join another Sleeper league and am sticking with MFL for the foreseeable future.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:17 pm

Too bad MFL can't thow money (or more money if they're already giving some) to the developer of MFL Platinum. The app is light years ahead of the MFL's actual sorry-bleep site when it comes to mobile functionality. I do 90% of my league business on MFL Platinum. It would be nice if they had the resources to add more features to it. I would love to see the franchise owner activity, and also it would be great to see the league's rosters in grid format. That makes it much easier to scope out trade partners. Those are the 2 main things that I go to MFL's actual site for.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:29 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:13 pm In two Sleeper leagues, absolutely despise it. The chat is incredibly slow and clunky, GroupMe is far superior. It doesn't display draft pick numbers when trading you have to refer to the draft chart and see which pick originally belongs to which team, and then go back to the trade screen. I do everything completely through mobile on my phone, and find MFL Platinum far simpler and even the MFL website better than using Sleeper. Overall just do not enjoy the app or see a single improvement over MFL besides being free, and the league fees are negligible anyway once split amongst rest of the league. We've already decided to move on of my leagues to MFL, and hopefully the 2nd one we migrate back to MFL after this year. I absolutely will not join another Sleeper league and am sticking with MFL for the foreseeable future.
I heard it didn't even have a counter option offer on trades until recently, not sure how accurate that is, though. I remember the trade offers were overly complicated. Instead of showing the trade once, like on MFL, it showed who was going what way twice, but in reverse style, which I felt was totally unnecessary and a massive eye sore. The Chat was bad, too, I remember that. Overall layout was just poor, too.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

UATahoe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UATahoe » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:42 pm

How do you crazy people function without a cell phone? Lol.
12 Team PPR League 1Qb 2Rb 3Wr 1Flex 1Te 1Def 1K

1 QB Mahomes, Dak Prescott
2 RB Mixon, Kamara, Melvin Gordon, Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Justice Hill, Boston Scott, Ito Smith
3 WR Godwin, K. Allen, A. Cooper, S. Watkins, DJ Moore, Michael Gallup, Kelvin Harmon, Martavis Bryant, Core Coleman(IR) Preston Williams(IR)
1 TE Mark Andrews, H. Henry, H. Hurst, Ian Thomas, Goedert
D/ST Bears
K Zane Gonzalez

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:52 pm

Not to mention it keeps spamming me to join the bracket challenge, despite it you know being canceled.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:25 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:29 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:13 pm In two Sleeper leagues, absolutely despise it. The chat is incredibly slow and clunky, GroupMe is far superior. It doesn't display draft pick numbers when trading you have to refer to the draft chart and see which pick originally belongs to which team, and then go back to the trade screen. I do everything completely through mobile on my phone, and find MFL Platinum far simpler and even the MFL website better than using Sleeper. Overall just do not enjoy the app or see a single improvement over MFL besides being free, and the league fees are negligible anyway once split amongst rest of the league. We've already decided to move on of my leagues to MFL, and hopefully the 2nd one we migrate back to MFL after this year. I absolutely will not join another Sleeper league and am sticking with MFL for the foreseeable future.
I heard it didn't even have a counter option offer on trades until recently, not sure how accurate that is, though. I remember the trade offers were overly complicated. Instead of showing the trade once, like on MFL, it showed who was going what way twice, but in reverse style, which I felt was totally unnecessary and a massive eye sore. The Chat was bad, too, I remember that. Overall layout was just poor, too.
Yes they recently had a big update on the trading features and now show the pick #. Again, its a fairly new platform and its 100% free.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:28 pm

Bot101 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:25 pm
Yes they recently had a big update on the trading features and now show the pick #. Again, its a fairly new platform and its 100% free.
That's good. You need to have that stuff. I feel like the end goal is to charge money, so by the time it gets up to MFL standards, it may not be free anymore. Good to see it's making some positive changes.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:51 pm

I mainly use my phone and won't be changing to anything else, really easy to use and fast for me. So quick to log on and make changes plus they take feedback seriously and keep adding or changing things to improve your experience.
Can't comment on the desktop feature as I live in 2020 :biggrin: .
Couldn't imagine having to head to my computer to check scores or make lineup changes.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:06 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:28 pm

That's good. You need to have that stuff. I feel like the end goal is to charge money, so by the time it gets up to MFL standards, it may not be free anymore. Good to see it's making some positive changes.
If they keep improving and get up to MFL level of customization then they can have my money. UI + open year round are the most important things for me.

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:06 pm

We ran into the exact same issue in our test league last year. It was super annoying during the startup draft.

And I'll also second (3rd?) the mascot complaint. It gives it a really cheap phone game kind of vibe, and because it covers such a large part of the screen (on your phone at least) it is very difficult for me to ignore. The problem is also that unlike other issues I don't see them addressing that assuming it is their source of income.

A third issue for me was the lineup page. Unlike say ESPN I sometimes found it difficult to quickly see who was actually in my lineup. Maybe that was our setting, but it lead to mistakes in lineups on multiple teams in our leagues.

They have good aspects of course, as others have mentioned. The game day scoring system is a LOT better than MFL (which is always waaay behind), so is their UI for the most part, and I do like that they address issues quickly for the most part (unlike say ESPN), and that they send you real time twitter news on major news like trades. But I'd still rather pay MFL than have to deal with a damn mascot filling my screen.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:12 pm

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:06 pm
We ran into the exact same issue in our test league last year. It was super annoying during the startup draft.

And I'll also second (3rd?) the mascot complaint. It gives it a really cheap phone game kind of vibe, and because it covers such a large part of the screen (on your phone at least) it is very difficult for me to ignore. The problem is also that unlike other issues I don't see them addressing that assuming it is their source of income.

A third issue for me was the lineup page. Unlike say ESPN I sometimes found it difficult to quickly see who was actually in my lineup. Maybe that was our setting, but it lead to mistakes in lineups on multiple teams in our leagues.

They have good aspects of course, as others have mentioned. The game day scoring system is a LOT better than MFL (which is always waaay behind), so is their UI for the most part, and I do like that they address issues quickly for the most part (unlike say ESPN), and that they send you real time twitter news on major news like trades. But I'd still rather pay MFL than have to deal with a damn mascot filling my screen.
Lineup is a great thing to mention, that I forgot about. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's much like Yahoo, and that once a player is in your RB spot, once they've played, they can't be your flex. MFL allow "flexibility" to allow for starting requirements to shift, and allows you a player that's already played at RB to be flex to meet starting requirements. We were in the same test league, BTW.

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:25 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:12 pm
qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:06 pm

Lineup is a great thing to mention, that I forgot about. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's much like Yahoo, and that once a player is in your RB spot, once they've played, they can't be your flex. MFL allow "flexibility" to allow for starting requirements to shift, and allows you a player that's already played at RB to be flex to meet starting requirements. We were in the same test league, BTW.
I think you're right about that Freak, no flexibility. I just remembered that the difference between lineup and bench was almost non existent other than being in order from top to bottom. I'm sure they fixed many of the things by now, but honestly just going off last year especially the startup draft was a bleep show.
Speaking of which, that reminds me of another thing: I missed my first round pick in that league because - a huuuuge negative - I didn't receive a notification that I was otc, despite commissioner confirming that the settings were turned on and that my email was correct. It happened a few times to 2 or 3 people if I recall correctly. Another thing I'm sure they have fixed by now, but thought I'd mention it.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:04 am

It doesn't show pick numbers for me, and I've updated the app. I don't care if it's "new" (it's been around a few years now) that is a very basic and obvious feature that should be included and it's not/wasn't.

UATahoe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UATahoe » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:08 am

It shows the picks for me under my bench players. It’s definitely a helpful new feature. Me personally, I like that you have to choose up front on flex or position. On the app, the starting lineup is pretty clear and the dividing line is large with the word ‘BENCH’ across it. All this is on the app though.
12 Team PPR League 1Qb 2Rb 3Wr 1Flex 1Te 1Def 1K

1 QB Mahomes, Dak Prescott
2 RB Mixon, Kamara, Melvin Gordon, Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Justice Hill, Boston Scott, Ito Smith
3 WR Godwin, K. Allen, A. Cooper, S. Watkins, DJ Moore, Michael Gallup, Kelvin Harmon, Martavis Bryant, Core Coleman(IR) Preston Williams(IR)
1 TE Mark Andrews, H. Henry, H. Hurst, Ian Thomas, Goedert
D/ST Bears
K Zane Gonzalez

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:32 am

Agree with all the aforementioned Pros and Cons, don't think anything anyone's said is off base.

I think if you've been using MFL for a while and are used to navigating there, you will see Sleeper as a downgrade. If you never used MFL, or only used it for a season or two and have had issues with it not being "user friendly" you'll prefer Sleeper. Same goes for desktop vs mobile; MFL wins desktop, Sleeper for the most part wins mobile.

Probably the biggest Pro which needs to be emphasized again is their support. They are very quick to respond to any support questions/issues. They are constantly making upgrades and adding features and have come a very long way in a very short time. They also prioritize upgrades based on user feedback (aside from those dumb mascots, they were definitely a waste of time seeing some of the issues they could have fixed over that).

My biggest gripe, similar to above posters, are not having a few things which should be a staple in fantasy league platforms and seemed to be a major oversight and I'm not a programmer/developer, but I'd think they aren't that difficult to implement. I've been asking for them to at the very least track/total bench points for each week, preferably also tracking total roster points. We use this in our league to determine draft order for the losers bracket at the end of the season (don't think we are the only ones doing this either) and its really annoying to have to manually add up all the points scored by every bench player for every owner for every week of the season in order to figure out their total points scored starters+bench over the regular season. Hopefully this is implemented this year! *end rant*

Otherwise my league hated MFL (I personally didn't mind it once I got the hang of it) and after switching to Sleeper they are much happier. (They are all primarily mobile users as well).