Melvin Gordon value

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ManuManu
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Melvin Gordon value

Postby ManuManu » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:10 pm

Would anyone pay a 2016 #1 and #2 for him? The picks are likely between 7-10 and 17-20.
Team 1, 10-team 0.5-PPR
QB (1): Richardson, Watson, Purdy
RB (2-3): Walker, Swift, Dobbins, R. White, Mitchell, Gainwell
WR (3-4): Hill, Godwin, Aiyuk, Flowers, N. Collins, Doubs, M. Wilson, Shakir
TE (1-2): McBride, Goedert, Okonkwo

RockandRollJames
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Melvin Gordon value

Postby RockandRollJames » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:13 pm

Yes I would do that.

flyersfan1981
Legend
Legend

Postby flyersfan1981 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:29 pm

ManuManu wrote:Would anyone pay a 2016 #1 and #2 for him? The picks are likely between 7-10 and 17-20.
The question you should be asking is would any MG3 owner accept a 2016 #1 & #2 for him. My guess is not a chance it they are likely to be anything but top 3 in each round.
#1-12 Team .5 PPR TE Premium (20-max)

Winston, Wentz
Ingram, Jones, Dalvin Cook, Rawls, Smallwood, McGuire
Evans, Keenan, Parker, Corey Davis, Lockett, Ty Williams
Ertz
1.05/1.06/1.07

#2-12 Team .5 PPR (25-max)

Rivers, Wilson
Gurley, JStew, West, Duke, Breida, Smallwood, Joe Williams
Nuk, Alshon, Sanders, Doctson, Crowder, Carroo, Carlos Henderson
Ertz, Kittle

#3 14-team PPR (27-max) Year 2

Rodgers, Bortles
McCoy, Howard, Chubb, Crowell, Cohen, D. Martin, McGuire, Joe Williams, Breida, West, Aaron Jones
Cooks, Alshon, MBryant, Britt, Boyd, Wright, Carroo, Chad Williams
Kelce, Julius Thomas, Jesse James, Shaheen, D. Allen

#4 12-team PPR S-flex TE Prem

Wentz, Trubisky, Cutler
Kamara, Ajayi, Howard, Lacy, Mack, Elijah McGuire, Sproles, Turbin
Hopkins, Alshon, Parker, Stills, Britt, ArDarius, P Cooper, TWilliams
Brate, Green, D Allen, Higbee, Hodges, Anderson
1.02/1.10

HWfloss
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby HWfloss » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:34 am

I would do that. I've actually been trying to trade him in the one league I have him, but he doesn't seem to hold much value. I'm hopeful he'll continue to progress and figure it out at some point this year or next. He's def going to get the opportunity. Plus, that OL has been dismal ....

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:40 am

I own him and would not even consider it for two late 1sts.
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Herbert, Tanny
RB: Chubb, Stevenson, AJ Dillion
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas
TE: D Njoku
K: Butker

2023: 1.01, 2.01
2024 early first, late first

ManuManu
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby ManuManu » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:49 am

flyersfan1981 wrote:
ManuManu wrote:Would anyone pay a 2016 #1 and #2 for him? The picks are likely between 7-10 and 17-20.
The question you should be asking is would any MG3 owner accept a 2016 #1 & #2 for him. My guess is not a chance it they are likely to be anything but top 3 in each round.
The MG3 owner in my league said he would take the deal. Right now I'm outside the playoffs based on a low point total, but I think my team (Team 1 in sig) is about to take off now that my lineup has stabilized (Brees is looking healthier, I'm going with Ingram over Lacy, Dez is back, Diggs looks like a star, etc.).

The picks potentially could end up 3-6 and 13-16. That makes me a little leery, but I think I'm a playoff team, making those later picks.

With AP, Lacy and Ingram, I don't really need a running back, but it would be nice to have a good young prospect behind them. I guess I'm just a little nervous that Gordon is just another college back who benefited from gigantic holes, a la TRich. I know they aren't the same guy, but they both seem to have difficulty if the designed run doesn't have a big hole for them to run through. Maybe it's just a matter of San Diego improving the OL and Gordon getting used to the pro game.
Team 1, 10-team 0.5-PPR
QB (1): Richardson, Watson, Purdy
RB (2-3): Walker, Swift, Dobbins, R. White, Mitchell, Gainwell
WR (3-4): Hill, Godwin, Aiyuk, Flowers, N. Collins, Doubs, M. Wilson, Shakir
TE (1-2): McBride, Goedert, Okonkwo

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Melvin Gordon: Microfracture surgery

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon May 09, 2016 9:30 pm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... re-surgery

Can't be good for his future. Had a poor rookie campaingn, and now this. What does this do for his value?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

yooperbacker
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Melvin Gordon: Microfracture surgery

Postby yooperbacker » Tue May 10, 2016 5:17 am

Is he still ahead of Gurley?
16 Team 53 man roster ppr tack heavy idp (1qb, 1-3rbs, 2-5wrs, 1-3te)
Qb:P. Rivers, T. Taylor, C. Daniels
Rb:D. Johnson, G. Bernard, J. Mixon, A. Kamara
Wr:S. Watkins, K. Allen, D. Moncrief, A. Cooper, K. White, Doctson, C. Davis
Te: T. Eifert, Z. Ertz, A. Derby

Krang
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krang » Tue May 10, 2016 5:37 am

Not really something to be happy about if you own him, but it could be an opportunity to buy even lower if you don't. The thing I read says there isn't a lot of concern about his recovery at the moment, so it might not be a death sentence.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue May 10, 2016 5:47 am

Microfracture has a pretty bad history. Travis Kelce had it though, and he seems fine. Not sure what to think about it

Kryptonite!
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Kryptonite! » Tue May 10, 2016 5:51 am

This was the fear that caused Ajayi to fall so far in the draft and caused questions about his longevity in the NFL. This is obviously not great news for Gordon considering how Ajayi has been viewed with the future possibility of needing this surgery. How does this impact Gordon's chances of a sophomore rebound, and more importantly his longevity? Does anyone know how past RBs have faired with returning from this procedure?
TEAM 1
8 Team - 26 roster - PPR - 1QB 3WR 2RB 1TE 1Flex 1K 1D/ST 1IR

QB: A.Rodgers, A.Dalton
WR: J.Jones, O.Beckham, A.Cooper, D.Hopkins, Dem.Thomas, B.Marshall, J.Gordon, E.Sanders, Cal.Johnson
RB: T.Gurley, L.Miller, J.Charles, J.Hill, G.Bernard, J.Ajayi, T.Mason
TE: T.Eifert, J.Thomas, E.Ebron
K: C.Santos
D/ST: Los Angeles, Kansas City

2016 picks: 2.05, 3.01, 3.04, 4.02
2017 picks: 1st, 1st, 4th, 4th

TEAM 2
8 Team - 28 Roster - PPR - 1QB 3WR 2RB 1TE 1Flex 1K 1D/ST 1IR

QB: A.Rodgers, M.Stafford, T.Taylor
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, D.Bryant, A.Green, Dem.Thomas, B.Marshall, J.Gordon, Mic.Floyd, L.Treadwell, T.Boyd, C.Hogan
RB: L.Miller, D.Martin, L.McCoy, E.Lacy, C.Hyde, G.Bernard, D.Murray, I.Crowell
TE: T.Eifert, J.Graham, A.Seferian-Jenkins, D.Allen
K: C.Catanzaro
D/ST: Houston, Minnesota

2017 picks: 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 4th

James Rustler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby James Rustler » Tue May 10, 2016 5:51 am

Krang wrote:Not really something to be happy about if you own him, but it could be an opportunity to buy even lower if you don't. The thing I read says there isn't a lot of concern about his recovery at the moment, so it might not be a death sentence.
Edit: Sorry, I understated this injury. More commonly seen in basketball players . Suggested rehab and recovery time in literature I read suggests 11-12 month rehab and recovery in order to return to nearly full function. The issue with this surgery is typically the rehab and replacement cartilage isn't as strong, leading to reinjury and more surgery. Tracy Macgrady is the classic example of someone who didn't rehab properly. He overcompensated his other knee and then had the same problem on that one.

The fact that he tried to say its a similar situation to Myles Jack is completely irresponsible as a journalist. With Jack they are concerned there is a chondral defect, so the concern is much greater. It's damage to a specific part of cartilage and sometimes surrounding bone. The whole point of this procedure is different by definition. The concern here is that there is little to no circulation to the area so healing is difficult.
Last edited by James Rustler on Tue May 10, 2016 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
10 Team 2 QB, 2 RB, 3WR, 2 Superflex, k, Defense:
PPR, big game bonuses, big play bonuses, high volume bonuses (30 completions, 30 carries, receptions)
Brown Town Band
QB: C. Newton, B. Osweiler
RB: D. Johnson, Ezekiel Elliot
WR: Mike Evans, A. Cooper, Devante Parker
Flex: J. Langford, P. Dorsett
TE: Ebron
Bench: Teddy 2 gloves, Mckinnon, Zeck Zenner, T. Coleman. S. Diggs 2016: 1.01, 2.01, 2.02, 3.01, 4.01. 2017: 4 1sts, 3 2nds

2016 predictions: was too long, here's a link. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=122933&p=1065590#p1065590

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue May 10, 2016 6:06 am

James Rustler wrote:
Krang wrote:Not really something to be happy about if you own him, but it could be an opportunity to buy even lower if you don't. The thing I read says there isn't a lot of concern about his recovery at the moment, so it might not be a death sentence.
This is a really common offseason procedure, especially in football. Journalists don't usually call it microfracture surgery so he was fishing for some clickbate. Completely overblown IMO. Usually referred to as getting scoped or touched up.
Microfracture surgery is far from getting touched up. It's a significant procedure

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Tue May 10, 2016 6:15 am

I was recommended to get Microfracture surgery and this is not something that is that common or low key. In its basics, it is akin to taking an ice pick and knocking holes in the bone in the hopes that it will trigger some regrowth of cartilage. It is done when there is a large hole of cartilage missing from the main bones connecting the knee. For me it was a hole the size of a half dollar on my femur.

These defects cause consistent swelling and discomfort and microfracture itself has a fairly low success rate or at least it did when it was recommended to me. The alternatives, at least in my case were cadaver cartilage, Carticel (cartilage regrown in a lab and reimplanted, but 18 month recovery), and knee replacement.

The two best cases I am aware of for Microcell are Marques Colston and Travis Kelce, however, I don't think it would be as successful on a RB who should be put much more pressure on his knees in a leg drive and is much more likely to get hit in the knees by a lineman or fallen on with force on his knees by a lineman than Kelce/Colston.

My guess is best case scenario is that Gordon is productive but has a much shorter than hoped for career.
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Herbert, Tanny
RB: Chubb, Stevenson, AJ Dillion
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas
TE: D Njoku
K: Butker

2023: 1.01, 2.01
2024 early first, late first

James Rustler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby James Rustler » Tue May 10, 2016 6:52 am

Reljac wrote:I was recommended to get Microfracture surgery and this is not something that is that common or low key. In its basics, it is akin to taking an ice pick and knocking holes in the bone in the hopes that it will trigger some regrowth of cartilage. It is done when there is a large hole of cartilage missing from the main bones connecting the knee. For me it was a hole the size of a half dollar on my femur.

These defects cause consistent swelling and discomfort and microfracture itself has a fairly low success rate or at least it did when it was recommended to me. The alternatives, at least in my case were cadaver cartilage, Carticel (cartilage regrown in a lab and reimplanted, but 18 month recovery), and knee replacement.

The two best cases I am aware of for Microcell are Marques Colston and Travis Kelce, however, I don't think it would be as successful on a RB who should be put much more pressure on his knees in a leg drive and is much more likely to get hit in the knees by a lineman or fallen on with force on his knees by a lineman than Kelce/Colston.

My guess is best case scenario is that Gordon is productive but has a much shorter than hoped for career.
I'll ask my buddy who does sports medicine about this. The literature, type of surgery and the science suggest this is should be fairly straight forward procedure with good prognosis but after reading about the atheletes that have it done it's not so straightforward. The current treatment hasn't really been demonstrated to be effective at preventing further degeneration of the knee and there are some newer treatments. Standard 9-5 workers recover fine but there were some nasty stories regarding peak atheletes.

In the meantime I found this.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/rambli ... acture-nfl
10 Team 2 QB, 2 RB, 3WR, 2 Superflex, k, Defense:
PPR, big game bonuses, big play bonuses, high volume bonuses (30 completions, 30 carries, receptions)
Brown Town Band
QB: C. Newton, B. Osweiler
RB: D. Johnson, Ezekiel Elliot
WR: Mike Evans, A. Cooper, Devante Parker
Flex: J. Langford, P. Dorsett
TE: Ebron
Bench: Teddy 2 gloves, Mckinnon, Zeck Zenner, T. Coleman. S. Diggs 2016: 1.01, 2.01, 2.02, 3.01, 4.01. 2017: 4 1sts, 3 2nds

2016 predictions: was too long, here's a link. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=122933&p=1065590#p1065590