The Todd Gurley Thread - Currently FA

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
KCLep20
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Gurley tore his ACL

Postby KCLep20 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:51 pm

italian_stallion21 wrote:This just has the feeling of the Seahawks taking him now for some reason, since he should be there when it's their pick.
all CMike owners cringe reading this...
1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex (RB/WR/TE)/1 Superflex (QB/RB/WR/TE)
'Ships: 2008, 2017, 2019, 2021; 2nd place: 2010, 2014, 2018, 2022
12 team PPR with 14 Keepers/year
2023 Draft Picks: 1.04, 1.05, 1.11, 3.04, 3.07, 5.04
QB: L.Jackson, J. Burrow, G. Minshew, J. Winston
RB: J.Mixon, ETN, Jav.Williams, J.Conner, Z.Moss, JK Dobbins (IR), N.Chubb (IR)
WR: AJB, CD Lamb, DK, C.Sutton
TE: M.Andrews, T.McBride, I. Likely

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:56 pm

italian_stallion21 wrote:This just has the feeling of the Seahawks taking him now for some reason, since he should be there when it's their pick.
Add Oakland to the mix.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:31 pm

Can't see the Seahawks taking him. Too risky, and they have other more pressing needs than a RB with a torn ACL in the first round. I think they give Michael his shot before spending a first round pick on an injury prone (although extremely talented) RB. Gurley has an injury history, dating back a few years now. He seems to always be banged up. Talking fantasy, I have the 1.01 and I'm not going near him. The way he runs, combined with a tendency to be banged up all the time, doesn't scream long and productive career to me. If I'm wrong, someone else in my league will benefit, I guess.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

teprovich88
Captain
Captain

Postby teprovich88 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:39 pm

FantasyFreak wrote:Can't see the Seahawks taking him. Too risky, and they have other more pressing needs than a RB with a torn ACL in the first round. I think they give Michael his shot before spending a first round pick on an injury prone (although extremely talented) RB. Gurley has an injury history, dating back a few years now. He seems to always be banged up. Talking fantasy, I have the 1.01 and I'm not going near him. The way he runs, combined with a tendency to be banged up all the time, doesn't scream long and productive career to me. If I'm wrong, someone else in my league will benefit, I guess.
remember all of the hype around DMC? I like Gurley as a prospect, but he is shaping up to be a similar player IMO
Pittsburgh Predators: 2015, 2016, 2020, 2021 Champion
NDFL: http://www68.myfantasyleague.com/2024/home/14733#0

Pittsburgh Tyrants: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020 Champion
ADFL: http://www68.myfantasyleague.com/2024/home/12028#0

DLF HoF: http://www68.myfantasyleague.com/2024/home/23015#0

DLF Premium: http://www57.myfantasyleague.com/2024/home/15795#0

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:40 pm

FantasyFreak wrote:Can't see the Seahawks taking him. Too risky, and they have other more pressing needs than a RB with a torn ACL in the first round. I think they give Michael his shot before spending a first round pick on an injury prone (although extremely talented) RB. Gurley has an injury history, dating back a few years now. He seems to always be banged up. Talking fantasy, I have the 1.01 and I'm not going near him. The way he runs, combined with a tendency to be banged up all the time, doesn't scream long and productive career to me. If I'm wrong, someone else in my league will benefit, I guess.
You said it first... but I have been thinking it: people are ignoring his injuries.

He seems more like DMC to me than anyone.

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:54 pm

True, they already drafted the stud RB with a long injury history, for whatever reason I didn't think about that.

knuckles50
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby knuckles50 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:04 pm

Other than a few injuries, I see no connection between DMC and Gurley. I would love to hear a further explanation on this comparrison.
Team 1
12 team, 1/2 ppr 1 qb, 2 rbs, 3 wr, 1 flex, 1 te
QBs-Brees,Luck,Bridgewater
RBs- LeVeon,Ingram,R. Freeman,Thompson,Riddick,Conner,Walton,J. Jackson,Dixon
WRs- Evans,A Rob,Parker,Hurns,Sutton,Pettis,Moncrief,Treadwell,Sanu,Tavon,Dorsett,Carroo
TEs- Gronk,Kittle,Butt

Team 2
12 team 1 qb, 2rbs,v 3wrs, 1te
Qbs- Brees,Cam,Cousins,Jackson
Rbs- Gurley,Zeke,Kamara,McCaffery,Hunt,Shady
Wrs-A. Brown,Evans,C. Davis,Watkins,Goodwin,Woods,Washington,Treadwell,Jordy
Te- Gronk,Kittle,ASJ

teprovich88
Captain
Captain

Postby teprovich88 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:12 pm

knuckles50 wrote:Other than a few injuries, I see no connection between DMC and Gurley. I would love to hear a further explanation on this comparrison.
not so much in terms of style.. but more in terms of the "lure"

When DMC was coming out, he was to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but just always seems to be a tease.

Gurley has been "the next big thing" over the past two years, but it seems like every time something happens... nagging injuries last year.. suspension.. acl.. all the hype in the world is there, but will that be all it ever is? Time will tell, I know it is impossible to say for sure, but my gut says buyer beware.
Pittsburgh Predators: 2015, 2016, 2020, 2021 Champion
NDFL: http://www68.myfantasyleague.com/2024/home/14733#0

Pittsburgh Tyrants: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020 Champion
ADFL: http://www68.myfantasyleague.com/2024/home/12028#0

DLF HoF: http://www68.myfantasyleague.com/2024/home/23015#0

DLF Premium: http://www57.myfantasyleague.com/2024/home/15795#0

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:56 pm

Would any of you consider taking him at 1.01 or 1.02 and trading him, or just trading out of the pick to someone still salivating over Gurley?

My league is actually a salary cap league, and I was building cap space with the idea of going for Gurly or Gordon, in that order. Now I think I am going for Gordon first then Gurley second and trading Gurley for an established guy if I can. Loaded and over budget at WR, so no Cooper for me...
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

Joey Pigskins
Starter
Starter

Postby Joey Pigskins » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:49 pm

jetsfan5757 wrote:Would any of you consider taking him at 1.01 or 1.02 and trading him, or just trading out of the pick to someone still salivating over Gurley?

My league is actually a salary cap league, and I was building cap space with the idea of going for Gurly or Gordon, in that order. Now I think I am going for Gordon first then Gurley second and trading Gurley for an established guy if I can. Loaded and over budget at WR, so no Cooper for me...
Right now it's looking like I have 1.01, 1.03, and 1.08. I plan on trading 1.03 to move up to two and just take them both. I couldn't live with myself if I passed on Gurley and he came back roaring, but I also love Gordon.

In the salary cap format that makes sense for you. I would just trade 1.02 and some sugar for Jimmy or Gronk, your team would be loaded
@JoeyPigskins

11th Year 10 Team Dynasty 1/2 PPR (20 man rosters, three round rookie/FA draft, 2 taxi)

Commissioner/Founder

Champions 2011, 2012
Runnner-up 2013, 2016

1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1TE 2 Flex (WR/RB/TE) 1 K 1 DEF

Matthew Stafford, Marcus Mariota
Todd Gurley, Melvin Gordon, Jordan Howard,, Jonathan Stewart, Darren Sproles, Theo Riddick, Jonathan Williams
DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Allen Robinson, Michael Thomas (NO), Phillip Dorsett, Kenny Britt, Kenny Stills, JJ Nelson (taxi)
Jimmy Graham, Eric Ebron, Austin Seferian-Jenkins (taxi)
Adam Vinatieri
NYG D

2017: 1st, 2nd

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:02 am

Watch Melvin Gordon's highlights. Then watch Jamaal Charles college highlights. Very similar. Charles has a bit more speed, and Gordon has a bit more power, but beyond the fact they wear the same number.. there is a very similar running style. Gordon's change of direction and acceleration are unique in this RB class. I have the 1.01, and the more I watch Gurley/Gordon, the more I liker Gordon. Once Gurley gets going, he is tough to take down, and once he gets to the second level, he has amazing breakaway speed for a big powerful back, BUT......Gordon's ability to cut and accelerate before getting to the second level blow Gurley's away. He can change direction on a dime and then accelerate to the second level unlike ANYONE in the college game. He also has some power to his game. Not as much as Gurley's, but for a back with such game breaking ability, he shows some toughness between the tackles as well. I feel his game will transfer to the next level, and Gurley with his injury problems and style of violent running with an upright body position, don't bode as well for being on the field week in, and week out. I wanted to take Gurley, I really did. But the more I watch, the more I like Gordon. Watch Gordon pre-snap, and watch Gurley. Gordon gets going so much quicker from the "hands on hips" position. Gurley will depend on blocking more at the next level than Gordon. I feel Gordon has an ability to make something out of nothing more than Gurley. Situation obviously can change things. Throw Gurley behind Dallas's OL, and look out. But the ACL tear is a BIG deal, make no mistake about it. Even if he didn't tear it, I am still more sold on Gordon, and although I am in the minority, let's face facts: He is the much more productive of the two. Fantasy Football isn't won on hype, it's won on production, and for anyone who wants to point out the SEC's defences are so vastly superior, I suggest you check out Gordon against LSU. Do you really think that if you put Gurley on Wisconsin last week against Nebraska, he runs for 408 yards? I don't. If things hold the way they are, I'm going Gordon with my 1.01. I find it unbelievable that some people feel Gurley is so much better that they would draft him at the 1.01 despite the injury history of this player. If they actually have the 1.01, go for it. I'll take Gordon all the way.. if he is healthy come draft time.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

snitchinsider
Role Player
Role Player

Postby snitchinsider » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:05 am

I consider Mike Davis the best fit for Seattle, in whatever round.
Hopkins elitist.
Abdullah apologist.
Ajayi truther.
Bortles drum banger.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:20 am

I don't recall DMC being all that injury prone in college. He didn't miss many games if he was. It would be interesting to see if major college injuries suggest a higher level of injury proneness in the NFL.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Metriculous
Role Player
Role Player

Gurley a Product of System?

Postby Metriculous » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:46 am

I have drooled over Gurley as a pro prospect since the first time I saw him play, but recently with the success (improvement?) with Chubb running the ball I am begininning to devalue Todd.... Does that make any sense to anyone else?

To me..... If a truly special talent is removed from a lineup there should be a clear dropoff in play. I just can't believe that Gurley and Chubb are both once-in-a-lifetime talents.
Eleventeen Time Champion of a Sad Little League
Jealous much? Of course you are.

(Insert Clever Team Name That May Contain Sexual Innuendo)
A bunch of league settings you won't read anyways....numbers and such

QB - A guy with only one or two good years left in the tank
RB1 - A guy who stands charged with several minor crimes (Guilty until proven, right?)
RB2 - Young guy that is only good because of his offensive line and workload
WR1 - A guy whose metrics make up for his stone hands
WR2 - A dude who is probably too short to catch the ball
TE - This guy played basketball, right?
DEF & K - I guess we are still doing this .. :wall: ...

Telperion
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Gurley a Product of System?

Postby Telperion » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:00 am

I thought that too, until I looked into Chubb a bit more. 4 star Rivals recruit, pursued by Alabama, Florida, Ohio State, etc, SPARQ of 143, etc.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/nick-ch ... ey-georgia
- Don't waste your time on late round NFL draft picks: Success rates by NFL draft round and speed.
- Team(s): Team 1