Cam Newton Thread - Back to Carolina

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
NanceUSMC
Role Player
Role Player

Re: What if Cam Newton stops running?

Postby NanceUSMC » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:24 pm

As one of the few resident Panthers fans here, I'll chime in...

Before selling Cam at a loss, pay very close attention to what Gettleman does with the OL this offseason... Cam's issues were a combination of several things, such as (in no particular order) injuries, some season ending, to Khalil, Oher, Trai Turner, Gradkowski (the backup C), Williams (backup OT), Stewart, Funchess, Benjamin and then his own shoulder injury... That's a ton to ask any offense to overcome, but when you're down to your 4th string Center and having to rely on Mike Remmers (yes, THE Mike Remmers) as your blindside anchor, well, you're in trouble... I agree that the team doesn't want Cam to be the #1 running option, but they also won't remove his option to run altogether... If the OL is improved, which is almost a given (assuming the return of Khalil and a fully healthy Turner, plus the addition of a LT), then you're going to see marked improvement across the board at all positions along the offense... If you watched the Panthers last year, it didn't take you long at all to see what the true problems for this team were... Trust me, it wasn't the loss of Norman (who finished ranked 2 spots behind his replacement James Bradberry for the season according to Pro Football Focus)... That OL was pure garbage, and the entire offense suffered...

Now, one thing I am curious about.... I see many mocks sending Fournette to Carolina at #8... I do wonder if that would mitigate the production of BOTH players (LF and Cam), since they'd both be taking carries away from one another... I wanna see Fournette in blue as a fan, but as a fantasy player, it does concern me...
10 team Non-PPR (1QB, 2RB, 3WR/TE, 1K, 1Def), full keeper, 23 man roster, established 2013

QB: Tannehill, Tua
RB: CEH, Swift, Sanders, Bell, Fournette, Etienne
WR: Jones, Hopkins, Chase, D Smith, Bateman, Parker, Fuller, Harry, D Johnson, D Samuel, P Williams, Higgins, Chark
K: Butker
Def: Baltimore, Carolina

Championships: 2015, 2017

2014: 1.01 (Became Watkins)
2015: 1.03, 1.04, 3.04 (Became Gurley, Yeldon, CAP, Robinson UDFA)
2016: 1.10 (Became Fuller)
2017: 1.01, 3.07 (Became Fournette, Henderson)
2018: 2.10 (Became Chark)
2019: 1.04 (Became Harry, Samuel, Williams, Isabella, Johnson)
2020: 1.01, 1.05, 2.01, 3.01 (Became CEH, Swift, Tua, Higgins)
2021: 1.03, 1.08, 2.03, 3.03 (Became Chase, D Smith, Etienne, Bateman)

timmahawk
Starter
Starter

Postby timmahawk » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:34 pm

NanceUSMC wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:24 pm As one of the few resident Panthers fans here, I'll chime in...

Before selling Cam at a loss, pay very close attention to what Gettleman does with the OL this offseason... Cam's issues were a combination of several things, such as (in no particular order) injuries, some season ending, to Khalil, Oher, Trai Turner, Gradkowski (the backup C), Williams (backup OT), Stewart, Funchess, Benjamin and then his own shoulder injury... That's a ton to ask any offense to overcome, but when you're down to your 4th string Center and having to rely on Mike Remmers (yes, THE Mike Remmers) as your blindside anchor, well, you're in trouble... I agree that the team doesn't want Cam to be the #1 running option, but they also won't remove his option to run altogether... If the OL is improved, which is almost a given (assuming the return of Khalil and a fully healthy Turner, plus the addition of a LT), then you're going to see marked improvement across the board at all positions along the offense... If you watched the Panthers last year, it didn't take you long at all to see what the true problems for this team were... Trust me, it wasn't the loss of Norman (who finished ranked 2 spots behind his replacement James Bradberry for the season according to Pro Football Focus)... That OL was pure garbage, and the entire offense suffered...

Now, one thing I am curious about.... I see many mocks sending Fournette to Carolina at #8... I do wonder if that would mitigate the production of BOTH players (LF and Cam), since they'd both be taking carries away from one another... I wanna see Fournette in blue as a fan, but as a fantasy player, it does concern me...
That wouldn't concern me at all - RW and Lynch had some great years together, and I think they helped each other out in that regard.

NanceUSMC
Role Player
Role Player

Postby NanceUSMC » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:56 pm

That's my hope as well, if LF or DC go to Carolina...
10 team Non-PPR (1QB, 2RB, 3WR/TE, 1K, 1Def), full keeper, 23 man roster, established 2013

WR: Jones, Hopkins, Chase, D Smith, Bateman, Parker, Fuller, Harry, D Johnson, D Samuel, P Williams, Higgins, Chark

jr00027
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby jr00027 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:24 pm

timmahawk wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:34 pm
NanceUSMC wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:24 pm
That wouldn't concern me at all - RW and Lynch had some great years together, and I think they helped each other out in that regard.
I know this wasn't your point - but if people are doing a Wilson and Newton comparison, I think Wilson is a FAR more refined passer than Newton is. Wilson even is more of a pocket passer than Newton is. I'd say that the majority of Wilson's runs are broken play these days, and stem from the seahawks terrible o-line not pass protecting. Newton often is looking to run early, or getting designed runs.

Even if Rivera wants Cam not to be the primary running option, he's still going to run a HEAP. Firstly, because it's in his nature, but also because it's part of the team's game plan.
Sig 1- 10 team, QB, RB, RB, RB/WR, WR, WR, TE, Flex, DEF, K
QB: T Brady, R Tannehill, C Palmer
RB: L McCoy, J Charles, T West, C West, M Davis, J Starks
WR: J Jones, E Sanders, N Agholor, C Conley, M Wallace, D Funchess, T Boyd, T Hill
TE: T Kelce, ASJ, T Higbee
DEF: Arizona, Oakland
K: J Tucker

Sig 2 - 10 team - QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, Flex, TE, DST, K
QB: A Luck, M Mariota
RB: J Charles, E Lacy, T Coleman, M Gordon, L Blount, K Dixon
WR: J Jones, A Robinson, D Parker, C Coleman, P Dorsett,
TE: R Gronkowski, T Kelce
DST: Bengals
K: B Walsh

Sig 3 - 12 team - QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, Flex, Superflex, TE, DST
QB: J Winston, C Palmer, J Cutler, T Bridgewater, D Stanton
RB: L Murray, D Lewis, M Gordon, J Charles, D McFadden, J Richard, A Collins, D Lasco
WR: A Cooper, M Evans, B Marshall, K Allen, D Jackson, E Royal, DGB, C Conley, D Smith, C Peake, R Louis
TE: J Thomas, J Graham
DST: KC
Taxi: R Lewis, M North, R Higgins

NanceUSMC
Role Player
Role Player

Postby NanceUSMC » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:58 pm

Funny thing is that his big hits usually don't come from his runs... it's almost always as a result of the OL protection breaking down... Last year the protection was solid, and you saw those results... This year I think they drew names out of a hat to see who got to play OL half the year...

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:06 am

Although big ben never ran with the quantity or results of cam to my eyes he is a very similar qb/player . Ben has evolved from a sight thrower to a refined passer in a system that gets the most out of his growth . Cam is in a similar situation as ben's 1st several seasons and questions of his ability to grow is the only thing that holds him back should he decide to run less . It will help his long term health and longevity and very well could force him to become a better passer and less of a sight thrower . He could grow into the best in the league or gradually fade into a guy that retires or muddles into prime years of his career .
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Fezzik
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Fezzik » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:19 am

clarion contrarion wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:06 am Although big ben never ran with the quantity or results of cam to my eyes he is a very similar qb/player . Ben has evolved from a sight thrower to a refined passer in a system that gets the most out of his growth . Cam is in a similar situation as ben's 1st several seasons and questions of his ability to grow is the only thing that holds him back should he decide to run less . It will help his long term health and longevity and very well could force him to become a better passer and less of a sight thrower . He could grow into the best in the league or gradually fade into a guy that retires or muddles into prime years of his career .
Ok, I can agree with all of that. The question is, which are you betting on? At the moment, I'm leaning towards selling provided I got a somewhat decent return.

Fezzik
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Fezzik » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:35 am

NanceUSMC wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:24 pm As one of the few resident Panthers fans here, I'll chime in...

Good post by the way. I admittedly didn't watch a lot of Panthers games this year. Thanks for the insight.

Rosenbluu
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Rosenbluu » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:16 am

The Panthers were awful this year, including Cam but even as he gets older i dont see him as a runner really changing much.

I mean his not a small/quick little guy, he uses his size/strength and top end speed to break away and his WR1 just came back from knee surgery. Cams a winner in my eyes and i love watching him play (when he has an oline and RB)
I wouldnt buy or sell right now unless id be getting great value.
12 Team PPR
QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex
QB: Mahomes/Jones
RB: Mixon/Chubb/Mostert/Burkhead/McKinnon
WR: Wilson/JuJu/Marquise/Mooney/Campbell/Dotson/Osborn/Julio/Tolbert/Shakir/Metchie
TE: Andrews/Hurst

Ryantacular
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Ryantacular » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:46 am

jcc6fd wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:41 pm Rivera saying he needs his primary runner not to be his QB is probably more ominous for J Stew than Cam.

This as well.

Bjordan554207
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Cam Newton

Postby Bjordan554207 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:23 pm

Multiple reports have just came out, including Adam Schefter reporting that the Cam might sit out for the entire 2019/2020 season.

It’s no secret that he was playing injured through the latter half of the year, and now there’s talks of season ending shoulder surgery.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the matter, and how does this effect the price of some of the guys in Carolina, like CMC and Moore throughout the offseason?
12 team Half point PPR
1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1Flex/Def/Kicker
Andy Dandy and the Funky Bunch
QB: Kirk Cousins, Mitchell Trubisky,
RB: Leonard Fournette, Joe Mixon, Derrius Guice, Jamal Williams, Kenneth Dixon, Elijah McGuire, Devontae Booker
WR: Antonio Brown, Mike Evans, Tyreek Hill, Tyler Boyd, Sammy Watkins, Robby Anderson, John Ross, Jordan Lasley, Albert Wilson, Isaiah McKenzie, Kendrick Bourne
TE: Tyler Eifert, Tre Burton, Gerald Everett,
Def: Ravens
K: Greg Zuerlein

2018 champ

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Cam Newton

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:27 pm

Wow, that's crazy. Big hit to my team with him on it. I don't think it hurts CMC, that much. He will still be a starter on any fantasy team he's apart of.

I'm interested about Moore's value though. I bet it dips, but it's not like Cam could get him the ball much either when he was playing hurt.

Badkins1121
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Badkins1121 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:19 pm

We’ll see. I’ll need a qb if he does though.

It was more someone bringing up Luck’s success after sitting out a year to rest his shoulder and the owner said...

““If you told me that he took a year off and could be fully recovered and everything else and that’s what it took, an extra year, why wouldn’t you do that?” Tepper said. “Now, we would have to do other things and we’d have to go out and get another quarterback, which, if you could find me some more cap space, I’d appreciate that.””

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Well crap...

Pantherbro13
Starter
Starter

Postby Pantherbro13 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:31 am

The ESPN article is very misleading, the Panthers journalist for ESPN is hands down the worst reporter that covers the team. As for the whole quote today from the Owner regarding Cam...

“Cam Newton is the guy we’re going to be depending on. He’s a talent. But it would be foolish of anybody to say that you’re not having an awareness of what could be and potential things that could happen through the year. … Hopefully Cam’s shoulder is fantastic and we’re all hunky-dory. If it’s not, you may need more cap space. You may need to go out and find somebody. We all want the same thing. Do everything possible to make it better by next year. Hopefully it gets better. Listen, there is no certainty in life. We all hope that.“

And out of that David Newton got “Cam Newton may not play in 2019” because the Owner mentioned how the Colts handled Luck in another portion...

“If you told me that he took a year off and could be fully recovered and everything else and that’s what it took, an extra year, why wouldn’t you do that?” Tepper said. “Now, we would have to do other things and we’d have to go out and get another quarterback, which, if you could find me some more cap space, I’d appreciate that.”

Context matters and many other reporters are bashing the ESPN reporter because of it. As of now there’s no plans for surgery, just rest.
12 team PPR/40 player roster/5 round rookie draft

QB
- Josh Allen/Anthony Richardson/Gardner Minshew
RB - Bijan Robinson/Javonte Williams/Joe Mixon/Brian Robinson/Kendre Miller/Chase Brown
WR - Ja’Marr Chase/DJ Moore/DeVonta Smith/Zay FlowersJosh Downs/Tank Dell/Skyy Moore/Dontayvion Wicks/Trey Palmer
TE - TJ Hockenson/Sam LaPorta/Cole Kmet
K - Harrison Butker
DL - Myles Garrett/Jeffrey Simmons/Brian Burns/Christian Barmore/Ed Oliver
LB - Shaq Thompson/Ivan Pace Jr/Pete Werner/Christian Harris/Blake Cashman/Micah McFadden
DB - Kyle Hamilton/Jevon Holland/Reed Blankenship/Kyle Dugger/Dax Hill/Jalen Thompson/Amani Hooker
IR -
TS - Isaiah Likely/Isaiah Spiller/Xavier Gipson

2024 Draft picks - 1st (x2), 2nd (x4), 3rd, 4th
2025 Draft picks - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th