Cam Newton Thread - Back to Carolina

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Wallace's Warriors
Role Player
Role Player

Cam Newton Thread - Back to Carolina

Postby Wallace's Warriors » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:16 pm

Some people liked this guy coming out of college for some reason but there is one problem. There is this other QB on the team named Jimmy Clausen. He went 1-9 last year with the lowest passer rating in the league. He has been taking the vast majority if not all of the first team reps and will be starting the upcoming preseason game. I don't know what is going on with the Panthers but I am worried for Cam Newton owners right now.
16 team, No-PPR, 6 pt passing tds
QB: Brady, Schuab, Tannehill
RB: Forte, Charles, Martin, Redman, Carter,R. Jennings, M. Bush, Vereen
WR: Britt, Little, Brown, Wright, Kerley, Sanders, Broyles
TE: Dickson, Cook
K: Zuerlien
DEF: Philidelphia
2013: 2 1sts, 2 2nd
2014: 5 1sts, 1 2nd

??Droppedballs??
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Cam Newton

Postby ??Droppedballs?? » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:45 am

give it a couple of starts, once they start out 0-5, newton will be the starter

RobertBobson
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby RobertBobson » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:47 am

Anyone who drafted Cam Newton thinking he was a game 1 NFL ready QB was deluding themselves. You drafted cam because of the QB you think he's going to be in 3 years, not this pre season.
12 team 1 ppr 6 pt all tds
1 qb 2 rb 2 wr 1 rb/wr 1 te 1k
qb Ryan, Vick, nassib, Barkley
RB DMC, Gore, Sporles, Stacy, Hillman, Moreno,
WR aj green,welker, Britt, Blackmon, DeMary
TE Davis, Cook, Housler, Allen

wizo1fan
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby wizo1fan » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:21 pm

For me, dynasty fantasy football is about judging talent and continuing to build your team for the future, while maintaining a great team in the present. For those that draft Cam, or almost any other rookie for that matter, the goal is success sometime down the road. I don't think many people expect Newton, Gabbert, Dalton, Kaepernick, etc. to be immediate studs. If you do, good luck.
I am not a Cam Newton fan but I hope he does well anyway.
Dynasty League - 12th Year - 2007, 2010 & 2011 Champion

Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D

QB - Carr, Mariota & Chad Kelly
RB - Cook, Mixon, Lamar Miller, Sony Michel, Marshawn Lynch, Doug Martin, Nyheim Hines
WR - Keenan Allen, Cooks, Sutton, Hogan, Shepard, Boyd, Lockett, Doctson, Wims
TE - Kittle, Jonnu Smith, Clay, Goedert

SpaderDude
Captain
Captain

Postby SpaderDude » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:07 pm

Anyone that watched Panther games last year knows for certain that Clausen cannot play. I've seen plenty of rookie QB's over the years and he is by far one of the worst I've ever seen. Cam Newton, however much talent he shows, will beat out Clausen. It's only a matter of time. Carolina did not draft him #1 overall to be the face of the franchise, and pass on other safer options, to have him sit. It's only a matter of time before he gets thrown into action.
Team1

10 Team Dynasty, Roster-30, (must contain 2K & 2Def.) Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D

Stafford, Eli, Rivers
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Stewart, Mark Ingram, J. Bell, Christine Michael, Mike James, Tolbert
Calvin, AJG, Julio, Antonio Brown, Gordon, Da'Rick, Streater
Tony G, Finley, Housler, L. Green, Gresham

5, 2014 First Rounders

Team2

12 team, 30-man rosters, 1ppr. Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1K, 1D

Brees, Big Ben
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Ingram, Stewart, C. Michael, Franklin, D. Brown, Helu, B. Rainey, CJ Anderson, Tolbert
Calvin, Nicks, Gordon, Stills, Toon, M. Wilson, Drew Davis, Da'Rick
Gronk, Daniels, G. Graham, Celek

RobertBobson
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby RobertBobson » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:21 pm

I agree completely about claussen. I drafted him in a start up last year, and I REALLY needed a back up qb as orton was my back up, and his status was uncertain, but I cut classen right after the NFL draft, because he was a completely wreck last year, and the panthers obv have no belief in him if they draft a QB 1st over all, and a QB that is by no means a sure fire Peyton Manning like bet, but too a much riskier gamble. THAT"S how much Clausen sucks. I just drafted Cam in a start up, in round 13, and I won't pick up jimmy even off waivers.

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:03 am

Part of me feels bad for Clausen. The dude's had a bum deal ever since he went to Carolina. He was a rookie last year thrust into the starting role on the worst team in the NFL with no talent around him to throw the ball to other than an injury prone and very aging S. Smith. Then they go and add Newton this year with the #1 pick, clearly sealing his fate sooner or later. I know it's been brought up before, but even many great QBs have had terrible first years in the league such as Peyton Manning.

I'm not going to say Clausen was ever going to be fantasy relevant anyway or that he will be in the future, or even a decent NFL QB. But this kid got dealt just about the crappiest hand that a young NFL QB could get. And on topic for the thread, if I was a Newton owner I wouldn't be the least bit worried about him no matter how well Clausen plays. They didn't draft newton to not play him, and everyone knows it. This is a classic case of an "open competition" that everyone knows the result of before it even starts, yet is done under the illusion of fairness.

Wallace's Warriors
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Wallace's Warriors » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:57 am

I'm not saying he won't start but still it worries me that Clausen is getting the majority if not all of first team reps. The only reason I can come up with as to why he wouldn't be starting is the coach doesn't start rookies in early preseason games. Its not like Clausen has some big experience advantage. They both got there playbooks the day after the first day of the draft. Its a new system with John Fox out as head coach. There were a lot more impressive rookie QBs. I haven't seen the Newton game but I am guessing since Clausen made 5 drives that Newton was playing against backups and his numbers weren't very good.
16 team, No-PPR, 6 pt passing tds
QB: Brady, Schuab, Tannehill
RB: Forte, Charles, Martin, Redman, Carter,R. Jennings, M. Bush, Vereen
WR: Britt, Little, Brown, Wright, Kerley, Sanders, Broyles
TE: Dickson, Cook
K: Zuerlien
DEF: Philidelphia
2013: 2 1sts, 2 2nd
2014: 5 1sts, 1 2nd

remy420
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby remy420 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:38 am

I wouldn't read too much into it. He is playing with the second team right now because he has things he needs to work on. Little things like taking a snap from under center. And the second team gets more action especially at the begining of preseason.
MC Dynasty League
The Highlanders
Champions 2006
12 teams, 30-man rosters
1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1 Flex (RB,WR), 1TE, 1K, 1Def, 1DL, 1LB, 1CB, 1S
QB:Newton, Rivers, Tua
RB:Gordon, Lindsey, Hunt, Kerryon, Mattison, Dobbins, Love
WR:A.J. Green, Julio, Diggs, Kupp, Hardman, P. Williams
TE:Hooper, Smith
K:Gould, Gonzalez
Def:Car, Chi
DL:Watt, N Bosa
LB:Ch. Jones, Roquan
DB:King, Carrie
S:Mathieu, Edmunds

RobertBobson
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby RobertBobson » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:23 pm

RobertBobson wrote:Anyone who drafted Cam Newton thinking he was a game 1 NFL ready QB was deluding themselves. You drafted cam because of the QB you think he's going to be in 3 years, not this pre season.

When I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong.

SpaderDude
Captain
Captain

Postby SpaderDude » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:41 pm

Wow, what a 1st game. 1st rookie ever with 400+ yards in 1st game. Did not expect that out of the gate. Does anyone STILL believe Steve Smith has lost a step? I've been saying all along that he only needed a QB and anyone other than Clausen to be back among the elites. Only thing is his production will probably be inconsistent as we cannot expect this week in and week out from Cam.

Still, wow, wow, wow. That whole organization must be feeling a lot better about themselves.
Team1

10 Team Dynasty, Roster-30, (must contain 2K & 2Def.) Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D

Stafford, Eli, Rivers
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Stewart, Mark Ingram, J. Bell, Christine Michael, Mike James, Tolbert
Calvin, AJG, Julio, Antonio Brown, Gordon, Da'Rick, Streater
Tony G, Finley, Housler, L. Green, Gresham

5, 2014 First Rounders

Team2

12 team, 30-man rosters, 1ppr. Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1K, 1D

Brees, Big Ben
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Ingram, Stewart, C. Michael, Franklin, D. Brown, Helu, B. Rainey, CJ Anderson, Tolbert
Calvin, Nicks, Gordon, Stills, Toon, M. Wilson, Drew Davis, Da'Rick
Gronk, Daniels, G. Graham, Celek

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:46 pm

The season is very, very young and I don't want to jump to conclusions yet. But I would have never dreamed that he'd have 400+ yards passing in his first start. That's absolutely nuts.

I've had Newton at the top of my rankings for rookies QBs all along based on upside alone (honestly I have, look around!). But I thought that upside was more due to his rushing potential, not huge passing games. I will admit that I'm very surprised by the passing numbers he put up.

We'll see if he can continue it against teams with at least mediocre defenses.

shivs
Captain
Captain

Postby shivs » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:11 pm

So yes, Clausen was garbage.
"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it" - Steve Prefontaine

12 Tm, nonPPR, kr's, IDP. QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, K, DL, LB, DB, DL/LB/DB
QB: P. Manning, Glennon, Palmer, Freeman
RB: Peterson, Rice, R. Bush, J. Bell, Pierce, Cunningham
WR: A. Johnson, J. Nelson, Fitzgerald, M. Austin, M. Jones, Givens, Hartline, Wayne (IR)
TE: Graham, Gates, Bostick, Hill
K: Novak
DL: Quinn, Wake
LB: Laurinaitis, Posluszny, Washington
DB: Barron

RobertBobson
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby RobertBobson » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:02 pm

Water Buffalo wrote:The season is very, very young and I don't want to jump to conclusions yet. But I would have never dreamed that he'd have 400+ yards passing in his first start. That's absolutely nuts.

I've had Newton at the top of my rankings for rookies QBs all along based on upside alone (honestly I have, look around!). But I thought that upside was more due to his rushing potential, not huge passing games. I will admit that I'm very surprised by the passing numbers he put up.

I had him at the top of my charts, more as an indictment of the other qb's and an endorsement of him, but I did believe he could be great, both as a runner and as a passer, just because his arm is so strong, and he's so strong period and tall. I thought it would take him a while to learn how to be a NFL qb.. and I still think it will but...

It didn't even occur to me that he had the arm strength ( and the height, since ss is so short) to take advantage of steve smith skill set. I think more than newton looking good ( and sure he did) I think the immediate impact of this is the Resurrection of steve smith's career. Newton is going to be able to bomb it to him all year.

standard_variance
Starter
Starter

Postby standard_variance » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:06 pm

RobertBobson wrote: I think the immediate impact of this is the Resurrection of steve smith's career.
I agree.
"We must be keenly alive to the defects of our own faith also, yet not leave it on that account, but try to overcome those defects." -Ghandi

There is a difference between argument, and dogmatic assertion. Argument leaves room for change, and improvement, dogma only leaves room for acceptance.

In honor of Gino - "Strong Fantasy Quarterbacks are the cornerstone to any successful Dynasty team"