Cam Newton Thread - Back to Carolina

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Re: Cam Newton to Patriots

Postby Valhalla » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:19 pm

stoneghost28 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:47 pm
Valhalla wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:05 pm So...am I the only one here who thinks Stidham has a shot at amounting to starter material?
No, I've been reading more than a few articles talking about him carrying a 1st round grade into the summer of '18, also read some article (maybe bleacher report) suggesting that many people thought he should have transferred inside the big 12 after leaving Baylor, and instead went into a system/team that was ill suited to his skill set and it showed (at least in '18). Getting a real sense that it wasn't smoke that the patriots like him a lot. That they actually do like him. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, in many ways it feels like a bridge move to provide either backup if Stidham falls off, or to give Stidham another year and if he continues to impress, he gets the gig in '21, regardless, I think their view has to be that they've got Stidham/Newton very cheap covering '20, and Stidham covering 21 and '22 as well cheaply, if he can cut it, which is of course the cheat code for contending.
Care to link those articles?
Edit: or maybe they’re behind subscriber walls

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:06 am

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:07 am

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:04 am

Valhalla wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:19 pm
stoneghost28 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:47 pm
Valhalla wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:05 pm So...am I the only one here who thinks Stidham has a shot at amounting to starter material?
No, I've been reading more than a few articles talking about him carrying a 1st round grade into the summer of '18, also read some article (maybe bleacher report) suggesting that many people thought he should have transferred inside the big 12 after leaving Baylor, and instead went into a system/team that was ill suited to his skill set and it showed (at least in '18). Getting a real sense that it wasn't smoke that the patriots like him a lot. That they actually do like him. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, in many ways it feels like a bridge move to provide either backup if Stidham falls off, or to give Stidham another year and if he continues to impress, he gets the gig in '21, regardless, I think their view has to be that they've got Stidham/Newton very cheap covering '20, and Stidham covering 21 and '22 as well cheaply, if he can cut it, which is of course the cheat code for contending.
Care to link those articles?
Edit: or maybe they’re behind subscriber walls
Didn't think I'd be able to find it as I thought it was Bleacher Report (which also has a good article) but it turns out it was an SI article, here they are:

SI Article: https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/gm-repo ... -at-auburn

Bleacher Report Article:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/288 ... 20?src=rss

I don't tend to read too much into this kind of stuff, but I like contrary opinions, and while I'm much more analytics than anything else, I do like how this gives a window into why sometimes the #'s aren't as helpful as they seem. Was trying to figure out what to do in a deep dynasty 2QB/2TE league startup where I'd already stocked the shelves with WR's, and had grabbed Taylor/Dobbins/Swift/Guice for RB, and TE was picked over, needed a 4th QB, and feeling I could get my other targets later, decided to grab Stidham at 19.04 (QB37 in the startup) as a kind of classic dart throw option that I can dump later for the waiver wire if the sheen wares off over the next few months, though I'd prefer to see how things play out over the next 9 months.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:06 am

Now I see you found them, thanks, was worried I wasn't gonna be able to track them down.

zeeshan2
Captain
Captain

Postby zeeshan2 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:15 am

The Boston Globe's Chad Finn speculates Cam Newton will play 11 games for the Patriots this season.

"I’m leaving wiggle room for him to miss a game with injury, or for a scenario in which the Patriots have their playoff positioning clinched and Jarett Stidham gets a start," Finn writes. Newton can earn a $3.75 million bonus if he’s on the field for 90 percent or more of the snaps and the team qualifies for the playoffs, as reported by ESPN's Field Yates on Thursday.
https://twitter.com/GlobeChadFinn/statu ... 9282278402

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/ ... cam-newton

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:07 am

Interesting timing on the Brown and Hernandez settlements. That opened up more than $7M in cap space that could have affected the Newton contract had they come earlier.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:58 pm

After watching two minutes of Cam rambling incoherently about how long he was unemployed for (86 days), I am really realizing how much fun it's going to be, to get to cheer against him and the Pats simultaneously.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Shankopotamus
Starter
Starter

Postby Shankopotamus » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:56 am

Pats kicking the tires on Pryor lol
12 Team Super-Flex TEP Dynasty
22 CHAMP :dance:
(2019 & 2020 Runner-Up) :wall:

1 QB, 3 RB, 4 WR, Flex, SF, 2 TE

3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB, 1 Flex IDP

QB- Justin Herbert, Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota, Gardner Minshew, Sam Ehlinger
RB- D’Andre Swift, Nick Chubb, Javonte Williams, Cam Akers, Kyren Williams, Jerome Ford, D’Ernest Johnson, Darrell Henderson
WR- DK Metcalf, DJ Moore, Chris Godwin, Jameson Williams, Gabe Davis, Hollywood Brown, Josh Reynolds, Calvin Austin, Laviska Shenault, Kyle Phillips
TE-Mark Andrews, Greg Dulcich, Isaiah Likely, Donald Parham, Tyler Conklin
DL-Danielle Hunter, Nick Bosa, Deforest Buckner, Jonathon Allen
LB- Micah Parsons, Jack Sanborn, Logan Wilson, Cole Holcomb, Nakobe Dean, Brian Asamoah
DB-Jeremy Chinn, Jalen Pitre, Jalen Thompson, Kam Curl, Darrick Forrest
K-Tyler Bass

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:51 pm

Looks like it's official. Cam named starter and voted team captain.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:18 pm

CGW wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:51 pm Looks like it's official. Cam named starter and voted team captain.
This should surprise no one.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:35 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:18 pm
CGW wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:51 pm Looks like it's official. Cam named starter and voted team captain.
This should surprise no one.
:surprised:

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:38 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:58 pm After watching two minutes of Cam rambling incoherently about how long he was unemployed for (86 days), I am really realizing how much fun it's going to be, to get to cheer against him and the Pats simultaneously.
I think this is the point...Cam is just as fiery as Tom and thrives with a chip on his shoulder. Only time will tell if he can be clutch enough to keep that chip on his shoulder under pressure. That would be scary.
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"
⛳️Jaguars will finish 11-6 and make the playoffs
⛳️If Sam Darnold finishes outside of the top 13 QB in 2021 then StripesOfKC & Sriracha get to decide what my new handle and icon will be. :thumbup:

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
START: QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 3 FLEX, 1 SUPERFLEX
ROSTER STARTERS
QB: S. Darnold (CAR)
RB: J. Jacobs (LV), L. Fournette (TB)
WR: Cooper (DAL), Ridley (ATL), M. Williams (LAC)
TE: R. Seals-Jones (WAS), M. Alie-Cox (IND)
FLEX: Sutton (DEN), J. Smith-Schuster (PIT), D. Harris (NE)
SUPERFLEX: M. Jones (NE)

BENCH:
QB: Rudolph (PIT), Book (NO), Minshew (PHL), Stidham (NE)
RB: Cord. Patterson (ATL), A. Collins (SEA), D. Dallas (SEA), K. Vaughn (TB), JJ Taylor (NE), S. Perine (CIN)
WR: M. Jones (JAX), Zaccheus (ATL), G. Olszewski (NE)
TE: B. Jarwin (DAL), D. Asiasi (NE)
IR: Tre' Q. Smith (NO), Tyrod Taylor (HOU), Chark Jr (JAX), R. Penny (SEA)

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:36 pm

The Godwin Complex wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:38 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:58 pm After watching two minutes of Cam rambling incoherently about how long he was unemployed for (86 days), I am really realizing how much fun it's going to be, to get to cheer against him and the Pats simultaneously.
I think this is the point...Cam is just as fiery as Tom and thrives with a chip on his shoulder. Only time will tell if he can be clutch enough to keep that chip on his shoulder under pressure. That would be scary.
I think what he said and what you agreed with are two different things.

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:40 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:36 pm
The Godwin Complex wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:38 pm
I think what he said and what you agreed with are two different things.
They ARE two different things. That’s the point. :eh: The Patriots operate best from a place of underdog, not favoritism. I think Cam Newtons personality will flourish in that during the regular season. Root against them all you want, it just feeds their narrative.
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"
⛳️Jaguars will finish 11-6 and make the playoffs
⛳️If Sam Darnold finishes outside of the top 13 QB in 2021 then StripesOfKC & Sriracha get to decide what my new handle and icon will be. :thumbup:

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
START: QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 3 FLEX, 1 SUPERFLEX
ROSTER STARTERS
QB: S. Darnold (CAR)
RB: J. Jacobs (LV), L. Fournette (TB)
WR: Cooper (DAL), Ridley (ATL), M. Williams (LAC)
TE: R. Seals-Jones (WAS), M. Alie-Cox (IND)
FLEX: Sutton (DEN), J. Smith-Schuster (PIT), D. Harris (NE)
SUPERFLEX: M. Jones (NE)

BENCH:
QB: Rudolph (PIT), Book (NO), Minshew (PHL), Stidham (NE)
RB: Cord. Patterson (ATL), A. Collins (SEA), D. Dallas (SEA), K. Vaughn (TB), JJ Taylor (NE), S. Perine (CIN)
WR: M. Jones (JAX), Zaccheus (ATL), G. Olszewski (NE)
TE: B. Jarwin (DAL), D. Asiasi (NE)
IR: Tre' Q. Smith (NO), Tyrod Taylor (HOU), Chark Jr (JAX), R. Penny (SEA)